MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwunder

Quote from: AndOne on January 13, 2020, 10:06:40 PM

Not only did Kienan Baltimore not play, but it also didn't look like he was even on the Carthage bench.
At this point it appears the question of whether or not he is still a member of the Carthage team is a valid one. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Without Baltimore the road to the finish line will be a very rough one for Bosko's boys.

According to the voice of the Red Men on the pre-game last night, Kienan was unavailable for this game and is serving a program imposed (may have said school imposed) suspension.  There is a meeting today to discuss his future with the team.

Titan Q

Titan Q

Quote from: Ultimate Titan Fan on January 14, 2020, 03:07:20 PM
Grant Wolfe out for the rest of the season.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/high-school/basketball/illinois-wesleyan-point-guard-grant-wolfe-out-for-remainder-of/article_56afcb77-dc28-5c2a-a4db-ceccda1ff9b1.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_The_Pantagraph&fbclid=IwAR0dqNqz-aRDHNt9j9aKGtu-3wSTGYOz-X6stP4qpVuZqMOR3biFgEOqBJA
Yes, tough news for the Titans.  I feel bad for Grant - he was really poised to have a big year.

Grant's numbers through 7 games: 18.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.6 apg, .517 FG, .455 3-point, .867 FT.  Those are pretty special PG numbers.  Grant is a really talented guy.  Matt Nadlehoffer told me he saw Grant play 20 times in HS (when he was the head coach at Millikin).  I was excited to see him get the opportunity to be the guy this year.

Grant was the guy that made this IWU team go in the early going, so obviously a big loss.

The Titans are lucky to have a PG as talented as freshman Luke Yoder though.  He officially has the keys now.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Damn IWU ... always recruiting guards. It's like they don't know anything else... right?

;) ;D
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Titan Q

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 14, 2020, 03:08:54 PM
Seven games means he's eligible for a redshirt if he wants to stay in school.

That would be great...and I would take just seeing him play as a senior next year.

Unfortunately, I think there is some chance that Grant never plays again.  Grant suffered concussions in both football and basketball in HS.  And then the two this year of course at IWU. 

Things were very somber in Austin when I was down there to watch the Titans (Dec 29-30) because Grant had just suffered that 2nd concussion of the season the day before the Concordia (TX) game.  It felt pretty clear to me at that time he was done for the year.  Everyone was just sort of in a funk over it because the writing on the wall was pretty clear.  And when a guy who loves to play that much can't play it's sad.

This is now about what is best for Grant long-term.  I hope he gets a chance to play basketball again -- he clearly loves the game and is fun to watch.  But that might not be the best thing for him...we'll see.

Titan Q

Illinois Wesleyan (9-5, 3-2) vs North Park (2-12, 0-5), Wednesday 1/15, 7:00pm...

Illinois Wesleyan (9-5, 3-2)
G - Luke Yoder, 6-0/170 Fr.  8.4 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.8 apg
G - Keondre Schumacher, 5-11/175 So.  14.1 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.1 apg
G - Pete Lambesis, 6-4/195 So.  12.7 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.0 apg
F - Doug Wallen, 6-5/210 Jr.  10.9 ppg, 5.5 rpg
F - Charlie Bair, 6-7/220 Jr.  9.6 ppg, 9.6 rpg
---------
G - Cory Noe, 6-2/175 So.  7.6, 1.7 rpg, 1.4 apg

North Park (2-12, 0-5)
G - Jacquan Binion, 5-6/135 Fr.  8.8 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 2.7 apg
G - Izaiah Sander, 5-11/165 Jr.  7.0 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.9 apg
G - Toby Marek, 6-1/180 Jr.  11.9 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.4 apg
F - Matt Szuba, 6-6/210 Jr.  7.4 ppg, 6.9 rpg
F - Karl Polk Jr., 6-6/210 Fr.  11.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg
---------
G - Lawrence Pointer, 5-9/150 Jr.  7.9 ppg

Links
IWU Notes - https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/iwusports.com/documents/2020/1/13/Game15_NorthPark.pdf

Pantagraph 1 - https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/kindred-years-later-tom-gramkow-s-shot-and-iwu-s/article_0f2c759d-61f6-5f27-9b03-28dd216c9259.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Pantagraph 2 - https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/high-school/basketball/illinois-wesleyan-point-guard-grant-wolfe-out-for-remainder-of/article_56afcb77-dc28-5c2a-a4db-ceccda1ff9b1.html

WEXG Radio - http://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/WWHP

Video - https://portal.stretchinternet.com/iwu/

Live stats - https://www.iwusports.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary

iwu70

Very tough, very sad about Grant Wolfe.  Feel for him.  Great player with tremendous quickness, mobility with the ball, and court vision.  Wish him the best for a full and complete recovery.  Hope he can get back to playing the game he loves. 

Yes, now it's Yoder and Noe's team to guide, at least for the rest of this season.

Wish I could be there for the festivities celebrating "The Game," and "the shot."   That was my senior year at IWU and we had some fun antics with that one . . . stealing the ISU Victory Bell earlier during the football season, then tossing a live chicken out onto the floor before tip-off at "The Game" at the old Horton Field House.  We then paraded around the arena with a big banner, "The Real Redbird."  Yes, we had some fun in those days and, if I may say so, a bit of creativity too.  The cheerleaders helped us get the bird into Horton, hiding it under their Poms Poms in a big cardboard box.   

Best to Tommy Gramkow (who made "the shot") and all the Team from 1970 as they mark that iconic moment in IWU sports history.  It was a vintage year in IWU basketball.   Kansas City here we come . . .

IWU'70

Mr. Ypsi

I, too, was a senior and was at ISU for that game (and, of course, stormed the court like nearly everyone in Green).  It was my all-time favorite game until it may have been outdone by my attendance in Holland when IWU beat #1 Hope in double OT in game two of the 2012 national tourney!  Both games were NOT for the weak at heart! :o

In 1970, Tommy Gramkow scored the winner as the buzzer sounded.  In 2012, the game went to the final buzzer TWICE with tying shots, before the Titans dominated the second OT to win by 7.

Incidentally, for anyone wondering why IWU was so delayed in switching completely to D3, there were two main reasons.  First (and probably most crucially) it was respect for Jack Horenberger, who was a 'founding father' of the NAIA - if I remember the time-line correctly, they dropped the NAIA affiliation soon AFTER Coach Horenberger's death.  Secondly, Kansas City was one helluva great tourney - 16 teams all in town for a straight-thru party 'til only one team remained standing!  In 1970 we had the misfortune of playing eventual champion Kentucky State in the first game; we can take comfort that we gave them a closer game than anyone else!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 14, 2020, 09:40:51 PMIncidentally, for anyone wondering why IWU was so delayed in switching completely to D3, there were two main reasons.  First (and probably most crucially) it was respect for Jack Horenberger, who was a 'founding father' of the NAIA - if I remember the time-line correctly, they dropped the NAIA affiliation soon AFTER Coach Horenberger's death.

I doubt that it was simply "respect". Horenberger was the IWU athletic director until he retired in 1981, and I'm sure that as an NAIA lifer he had a huge amount of pull, and perhaps even the ultimate deciding voice, regarding the school's working affiliation.

Carroll and Illinois Wesleyan, who were the last two NAIA holdouts in this league, went over to D3 right around the same time. Carroll played in an NAIA postseason game against UW-Eau Claire as late as the 1980-81 season.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwumichigander

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 13, 2020, 02:17:14 PM
Quote from: BobbyO on January 13, 2020, 01:48:38 PMAugie needs a big win on Wednesday and watch the upset at Foster and Kedzie this Saturday.  Yes I think NPU may upset them.

Lou Holtz in the house, ladies and gentlemen!

sandbags do not help if your roof leaking

iwumichigander

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 14, 2020, 09:40:51 PM
I, too, was a senior and was at ISU for that game (and, of course, stormed the court like nearly everyone in Green).  It was my all-time favorite game until it may have been outdone by my attendance in Holland when IWU beat #1 Hope in double OT in game two of the 2012 national tourney!  Both games were NOT for the weak at heart! :o

In 1970, Tommy Gramkow scored the winner as the buzzer sounded.  In 2012, the game went to the final buzzer TWICE with tying shots, before the Titans dominated the second OT to win by 7.

Incidentally, for anyone wondering why IWU was so delayed in switching completely to D3, there were two main reasons.  First (and probably most crucially) it was respect for Jack Horenberger, who was a 'founding father' of the NAIA - if I remember the time-line correctly, they dropped the NAIA affiliation soon AFTER Coach Horenberger's death.  Secondly, Kansas City was one helluva great tourney - 16 teams all in town for a straight-thru party 'til only one team remained standing!  In 1970 we had the misfortune of playing eventual champion Kentucky State in the first game; we can take comfort that we gave them a closer game than anyone else!
above considerations but ... the biggest discussions amongst the four horsemen —- athletics scholarships vs none.  Non-conference and post season vs ncaa div iii.  These two issues got resolved over time as more schools left NAIA to the point Coach Horenberger decided if IWU could make the transition without harm to scholarship players we would go.  And, as other, bigger schools left NAIA we were still able to schedule non-conference particularly baseball and basketball.

Titan Q

Quote from: iwumichigander on January 15, 2020, 12:42:13 AM

above considerations but ... the biggest discussions amongst the four horsemen —- athletics scholarships vs none.  Non-conference and post season vs ncaa div iii.  These two issues got resolved over time as more schools left NAIA to the point Coach Horenberger decided if IWU could make the transition without harm to scholarship players we would go.  And, as other, bigger schools left NAIA we were still able to schedule non-conference particularly baseball and basketball.

I keep getting texts and e-mails from people basically saying, "What is iwumichigander talking about on scholarships?"  So I guess I should say...

Scholarships had nothing to do with IWU's decision to be NAIA vs NCAA Division III.  IWU was a non-scholarship NAIA school.  One of my texters said, "IWU stopped giving athletic scholarships [in the 1950s]."  Moving to NCAA Division III didn't impact any IWU student-athletes in terms of scholarships because none had a scholarship.

Carry on.

Titan Q

My texters/e-mailers are also taking exception with Chuck. 

The NAIA tournament was 32 teams...not 16.  Here is the 1969-70 bracket - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_NAIA_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament#1970_NAIA_bracket.

Carry on.