Mid-Atlantic Region

Started by Mid-Atlantic Fan, August 29, 2017, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulNewman

Quote from: daddyEzK on November 06, 2018, 04:02:49 PM
Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on November 06, 2018, 02:46:49 PM
F&M has a better resume and is more than deserving of hosting. Haverford also has a good resume and also could have hosted. Both are very good teams with tough draws in NCAA's. I do think F&M has a better resume and is more deserving of hosting than the Fords but both teams have quality players and can make a run. Both could also get bounced in the opening weekend. There are plenty of intriguing match ups!

Hosting is a clear advantage for a team in the tournament.  F&M is not deserving based on conference finish, who they tied and rankings. They lost to three teams that are also in the tournament, who have to travel.   Yes, they have a high SOS and a very impressive RVR, but it ain't enough to overcome the other factors.  Maybe their true strength is that they have been consistently good for a number of years and the folks who gave out the hosting assignments didn't look hard enough this time.

Ummmm....except it was enough.  And it's not like the cmtes are unfamiliar with Haverford.  The Fords were all set to host both weekends all the way to the Final Four until the debacle on Walton with UMass Boston.

daddyEzK

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 06, 2018, 04:15:42 PM

Ummmm....except it was enough.  And it's not like the cmtes are unfamiliar with Haverford.  The Fords were all set to host both weekends all the way to the Final Four until the debacle on Walton with UMass Boston.

For those who don't catch the reference:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypZO-ULHFxA

blooter442

Quote from: daddyEzK on November 06, 2018, 04:22:50 PM
For those who don't catch the reference:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypZO-ULHFxA

Watching it again, still can't get over how accurate that drop-kick was.

(I am not condoning the abhorrent UMB behavior on the field nor in the comments section where former All-American Kenawy commented "#SoftPansies" and the mother of the player who launched the drop-kick saying "You people are being completely one sided...Both teams were not playing at a sportsmanship level but UMass came out the winner so deal with it!")

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: daddyEzK on November 06, 2018, 04:02:49 PM
Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on November 06, 2018, 02:46:49 PM
F&M has a better resume and is more than deserving of hosting. Haverford also has a good resume and also could have hosted. Both are very good teams with tough draws in NCAA's. I do think F&M has a better resume and is more deserving of hosting than the Fords but both teams have quality players and can make a run. Both could also get bounced in the opening weekend. There are plenty of intriguing match ups!

Hosting is a clear advantage for a team in the tournament.  F&M is not deserving based on conference finish, who they tied and rankings. They lost to three teams that are also in the tournament, who have to travel.   Yes, they have a high SOS and a very impressive RVR, but it ain't enough to overcome the other factors.  Maybe their true strength is that they have been consistently good for a number of years and the folks who gave out the hosting assignments didn't look hard enough this time.

Decisions aren't based on how a team finishes. This isn't D1 men's basketball where "the final ten games" have some kind of weight.

The entire season is a factor. The finish doesn't have some more weight. You mentioned a strong SOS and impressive vRRO ... but what actual criteria do you have that should trump those figures? "Conference finish" isn't a criteria. They also use that same criteria for hosting decisions (along with information you don't have like maybe some didn't want to host, mileage, etc.).

Nothing you have argued gives any reasons for them not to host.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Hopkins92

Quote from: FelixCloudy on November 05, 2018, 03:04:48 PM
Quote from: Hopkins92 on November 05, 2018, 02:10:49 PM
Oh, last thing... And I don't mean to be overly harsh, but JHU's lone striker had a VERY bad day. Touch was off, timing and direction of his runs were off. I get the impression that when he is clicking, they are a much more dangerous team.

Interesting.. I wonder if that is because they played on grass?  JHU lost to the Fords on Walton during the regular season, and possibly the field surface was a factor? JHU's short, quick possession & passing style is wonderful to watch and true to the beautiful game of fußball... but switching to grass if you don't get enough practice time on grass can really affect timing.  And couple that with a rigid game strategy is a double whammy.  But honestly, something else seemed to be up with the team... long drive from Baltimore maybe.

I do think the field conditions slightly affected their play, but mostly because they were losing the footing a lot, and they rely on a lot of quick changes of directions both on and off the ball to get by/behind their marks.

In general, (apologies for the old-timer stuff) when I played Homewood was old astro-turf laid on top of concrete and it gave opposition fits. But we practiced on grass leading up to away games and other than really ****ty fields (I'm looking at you Widener), it wasn't a big deal. Now-a-days, it's not all that uncommon for players to grow up playing on a lot of turf, not to mention a lot of HS and college fields have gone that route.

ALSO, artificial fields just aren't THAT different now from grass. They play truer to grass in terms of weighted passes and stuff. Not saying they're the same, just that I don't think it's a big difference/advantage. Certainly not like it used to be, but again, different is all relative, I guess.

Mr.Right

Quote from: blooter442 on November 06, 2018, 04:43:09 PM
Quote from: daddyEzK on November 06, 2018, 04:22:50 PM

Watching it again, still can't get over how accurate that drop-kick was.

(I am not condoning the abhorrent UMB behavior on the field nor in the comments section where former All-American Kenawy commented "#SoftPansies" and the mother of the player who launched the drop-kick saying "You people are being completely one sided...Both teams were not playing at a sportsmanship level but UMass came out the winner so deal with it!")

Ahhh memories....I remember watching that game in real time...Still boggles my mind that UMB just completely imploded in that game. That game was streamed without volume as well IIRC which probably would have given us a better idea why UMB just self destructed because while their behavior was pretty bad all year in 2016 it never got anything close to that.

lastguyoffthebench

Did anyone watch the Etown - Catholic game?  Between the video freezing and all the fouls...   

rudy

Solid showing from Mid Atlantic teams so far with ETown, Eastern, Hopkins, Messiah ant F&M advancing. Lycoming out early again. Still not sure of Haverford result.

blooter442

Quote from: rudy on November 10, 2018, 11:15:24 PM
Solid showing from Mid Atlantic teams so far with ETown, Eastern, Hopkins, Messiah ant F&M advancing. Lycoming out early again. Still not sure of Haverford result.

Haverford went out on penalties.

Falconer

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on November 04, 2018, 10:35:49 AM
Messiah and Lycoming played one heck of a game last night and as many others have echoed across the boards over the year, these two teams are certainly worthy of competing in NCAA's. Messiah played beautifully last night but Lycoming never broke. It was a defensive clinic by the Warriors with some key saves from their GK and some incredible plays from Tueno. He showed why he will most likely repeat as an All-American this year, as he was one of the best, if not the best defensive player I have seen all year.
So far I've held my tongue about this game and this particular comment, MAF, but now that Lyco is out of the tournament and Tueno's career is over I am going to break my silence.

I know the stands are not very close to the field at Shoemaker, and my eyes aren't as young as they used to be. So, let me ask you, MAF: did you not see totally outrageous, wholly unacceptable behavior from Tueno in that game? When the PK was called and the Lyco players simply exploded out of control, trying to pressure the official to change his mind, wasn't it Tueno who got in the face of the official and intentionally bumped or pushed him? And, after the mob scene settled down a long time later (and the official still hadn't carded anyone, including Tueno or whoever else it was that shoved him), wasn't it Tueno who got in the face of PK kicker Ruiz Plaza, reached down, and actually moved the ball as he was getting ready to kick? Didn't these things happen? And--no cards given for any of this, which is just beyond my comprehension? (Tueno did get a YC later on, and so did 2 of his teammates, but this particular official has ignored outlandish behavior by Lyco players in the past. None of it, however, on this level of outlandish.)

Since everyone knows I'm a homer, MAF, what I've just said might be as unbelievable to others as it almost seems to me as I write this. Since you're not apparently a Falcon rooter, I'm asking you. Did these things happen, or am I just blind or making this up?

If they did happen, what did you think?

What I think, is that Tueno is a high-level player, certainly the best on Lyco's roster and among the best all-around defenders (who has a big offensive contribution too) in D3. As a Falcon fan, I'm glad he will not be playing Messiah again: he's someone who can beat you by himself. We entirely agree on this much, I gather.

But, speaking now not as a Falcon fan but as a fan of the game, I'm also glad I won't have to watch him anymore. Unlike someone like Gilbert Waso of Etown (see my praise for him on another thread this morning), another high-level player in this region who is also finishing his career this year, Tueno simply has no respect for the game. He's classless. He takes cheap shots when the official is not watching, he fouls people very hard even when the official is watching, and he bitches to high heaven when he gets called for fouls, even when a well-deserved card is not given. He does indeed lead his team by example with his skillful play, but he also leads them by example with his out-of-bounds behavior. (And, I suspect his coach applauds this, but I won't go further with that.)

This is serious stuff I've said this morning, MAF, and I'm not going to shrink from it. Do you agree with any of this?

Did anyone else see this stuff and want to comment on it?

blooter442

Quote from: Falconer on November 11, 2018, 09:59:34 AM
This is serious stuff I've said this morning, MAF, and I'm not going to shrink from it. Do you agree with any of this?

blooter442

In all seriousness, I can't speak to this particular game, but I have known Tueno to push the envelope at times.

PaulNewman

I gave you a +k for that, Falconer.  You may not believe me but I do respect that you speak your mind and do not hide your allegiances and perceptions.  In exchange, I appreciate that you at least overtly try to tolerate me calling you out with your remarkable ability to work in a Messiah reference, usually in very glowing terms about someone or some aspect of Messiah soccer, even when one wouldn't have seen the reference coming based on the team being discussed or topic at hand. 

I was thinking yesterday, and almost PM'ed 1970s about this, about why I personally care so much and why I am even following D3 soccer and "my team" so....what's the word....diligently?  I would guess that most of us who are former parents of now very much adults who played follow the action (and controversies and all the back and forth with minute details about bids, SoS, regions of the country and who gets dissed and who doesn't, who can't resist teaching the rest of us even when we don't as for it, programs and players and posters who annoy us, etc, etc, etc, etc) far more closely than our own kids who played.  Is it a hobby?  A sick obsession?  I don't know.  I know I enjoy it, get heartbroken over it, can't wait for another season even after swearing I'm done, etc, and those close to me just ignore me for a few weeks while the whole thing happens.

I did comment at the time on the Tueno incident you speak of above.  I was watching, and at the time I didn't know who the player was or his significance, but I did think he was way out of line and should have been carded (and with a red card not being out of the question).  I don't know enough to comment much further, except to wonder if (like a Draymond Green) he's a player you love to have when he's on your team and love to hate when he's not.

I was surprised about Lycoming having such an abrupt exit....to PS-Behrend.  I had thought Lycoming might challenge Calvin a little and now the Knights have an even smoother road.

rudy

Some inside stuff I heard. Some teammates do not like his antics at all. For a big kid he goes down very easily and whines like a baby.  Told some players in that game he was going to make them bleed. They laugh it off. Not sure I would have the temperament to put up with him a whole game without at least some choice words for him. Surprisingly he did not get any yellow cards in his last game. Coach is to blame imo...cant encourage this by doing nothing. It's embarrassment to the program and other teammates.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: Falconer on November 11, 2018, 09:59:34 AM
Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on November 04, 2018, 10:35:49 AM
Messiah and Lycoming played one heck of a game last night and as many others have echoed across the boards over the year, these two teams are certainly worthy of competing in NCAA's. Messiah played beautifully last night but Lycoming never broke. It was a defensive clinic by the Warriors with some key saves from their GK and some incredible plays from Tueno. He showed why he will most likely repeat as an All-American this year, as he was one of the best, if not the best defensive player I have seen all year.
So far I've held my tongue about this game and this particular comment, MAF, but now that Lyco is out of the tournament and Tueno's career is over I am going to break my silence.

I know the stands are not very close to the field at Shoemaker, and my eyes aren't as young as they used to be. So, let me ask you, MAF: did you not see totally outrageous, wholly unacceptable behavior from Tueno in that game? When the PK was called and the Lyco players simply exploded out of control, trying to pressure the official to change his mind, wasn't it Tueno who got in the face of the official and intentionally bumped or pushed him? And, after the mob scene settled down a long time later (and the official still hadn't carded anyone, including Tueno or whoever else it was that shoved him), wasn't it Tueno who got in the face of PK kicker Ruiz Plaza, reached down, and actually moved the ball as he was getting ready to kick? Didn't these things happen? And--no cards given for any of this, which is just beyond my comprehension? (Tueno did get a YC later on, and so did 2 of his teammates, but this particular official has ignored outlandish behavior by Lyco players in the past. None of it, however, on this level of outlandish.)

Since everyone knows I'm a homer, MAF, what I've just said might be as unbelievable to others as it almost seems to me as I write this. Since you're not apparently a Falcon rooter, I'm asking you. Did these things happen, or am I just blind or making this up?

If they did happen, what did you think?

What I think, is that Tueno is a high-level player, certainly the best on Lyco's roster and among the best all-around defenders (who has a big offensive contribution too) in D3. As a Falcon fan, I'm glad he will not be playing Messiah again: he's someone who can beat you by himself. We entirely agree on this much, I gather.

But, speaking now not as a Falcon fan but as a fan of the game, I'm also glad I won't have to watch him anymore. Unlike someone like Gilbert Waso of Etown (see my praise for him on another thread this morning), another high-level player in this region who is also finishing his career this year, Tueno simply has no respect for the game. He's classless. He takes cheap shots when the official is not watching, he fouls people very hard even when the official is watching, and he bitches to high heaven when he gets called for fouls, even when a well-deserved card is not given. He does indeed lead his team by example with his skillful play, but he also leads them by example with his out-of-bounds behavior. (And, I suspect his coach applauds this, but I won't go further with that.)

Did anyone else see this stuff and want to comment on it?

Finally back on the boards! Well this is fun to come back and see. As I recall the entire group of players on the field surrounded the official after the PK call and rightfully so as it was a poor decision to give in a big moment such as that championship game. Lycoming, Tueno specifically, got away with a blatant PK later that game so I guess the soccer Gods evened it up. I do not believe any of them deliberately pushed, grabbed or punched the official as the Messiah faithful would like to echo. There were 3 totals yellows all on Lycoming and fouls were an even 10-10. It really wasn't that physical of a game, yet anytime Lycoming plays Messiah that's the route the faithful Falcon fans take as an excuse. As for the behavior, I highly doubt any coach would encourage the kind of behavior that you are insinuating at any level of athletics and I don't think Tueno exhibits any of that. Almost every college soccer play jaws at the ref throughout the game and usually multiple times. The amount of cheap shots that Tueno has taken in games because of being Lycoming's best player far outweighs the hard fouls he has given out. He is a targeted player by not only other teams and coaches, but by cowards like yourself who can bash a college kid behind a computer screen. I think the serious stuff we should focus on is the clearly targeted accusations against one Lycoming in general and two a college athlete who is still a kid. Calling a 20 year old classless among the many other names over the last 4 years is disheartening. I won't go into anything regarding race but I wouldn't be surprised if you went back through the boards to see that Lycoming and their diversity is continually slammed over the years compared to Messiah and the lack of diversity they bring to the table. That's a sad stance to take in this day and age.