WBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by purple puff, February 22, 2005, 05:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purple puff

I for one agree, let the skill of the ladies decide the outcome of these tournament games.  The idea of refs watching a video of the games they call is a good one.  Hopefully only the most impartial refs of the OAC will ref these tournament games.  Good Luck to all the teams!

jdean

Sorry Babs, but the last person's judgement I would want to hear would be a parent. I can't think of a more biased view. You didn't state any particular team so I assume your comment was directed at everyone who plays yours. I seen alot of Mount home games over the years and a few away pre-conf tournament games.I would agree that the refs leave alot to be desired but that's a part of the game, like it or not. One night you might benefit, the next not. It shouldn't be that way but its the reality of any game overseen by humans.

Babs Field

Wow!   Sorry I said anything!   I forgot this was a one-man show!   I guess you were happier when you were the only one speaking.   Some parents can't see the forest for the trees, but like it or not, a great many of them are very capable of seeing fouls be it from their own team or the opposing team.   And, there are a lot of us who just enjoy sports!  Your "Like it or not" comment is why the refs don't improve.   It's not a part of the game when they blatantly try to decide the outcome.   You only get what you expect and what you settle for.   I'm saying that anyone who is interested in bball, and the well being of the athletes playing it, should expect more from people who are doing a job. Raise the bar!  Remember, they ARE getting paid for this!   Most people (maybe not you JDEAN) would be fired for messing up so much.  
And, by the way, I didn't direct my comments at any team.   Teams don't call the game, those guys in the stripes do.  I directed my comments at the officials!  I'm sure any athlete wants to be judged on a level playing field, given the same opportunities to exceed as everyone else.  Bad officiating takes that opportunity away when one team has to 'dance to a different tune' than the other team.  
And, purplepuff, thanks for the agreement.   I add my voice to yours in wishing all the ladies a super tournament season, to be decided on the skills of the players, not by the officials.

jdean

Well Babs, are those blind refs still trying to fix the games? Did you get their names to refer them to the FBI?

jdean

Looks like BW men and women rule OAC b-ball this year. The OAC men will probably get 2 teams in the NCAA. Will Wilmington get an at-large bid?

jdean

Wilmington doesn't even get mentioned in D3 projections. Too bad. Guess BW will have to carry all the water for the OAC

d-mac

It is time to find out who is in... and who is out.
Whose bubble has been burst and who is wearing Cinderella's glass slippers.
It's Selection Sunday... and tonight there will be a special "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" as the 2005 NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Brackets are announced... LIVE on our air!
The Road to Salem and Virginia Beach officially starts tonight!

It plans to be a huge night... as 50 womens and 48 mens teams are officially invited to the dance and a chance at a national title.

Some teams already know they are going (thanks to winning their conferences) and some think they are going, but there are always surprises.

So tonight, we will break it all down. Starting at 8:30 PM EST, we will take a look at who is definitely in, who might make it, who will be disappointed, and what match-ups you might want to look forward to seeing later in the week.

Then at 10:00 PM EST... we will broadcast LIVE the Women's Selection Show so you can find out when we do... the 50 teams on the Road to Virginia Beach.

That will be followed by the Men's Selection Show at 10:30 PM EST - when 48 teams find out what their Road to Salem will be like.

After those selections... we will go over it with a fine-tooth comb and find out who we think are the surprises!

And throughout the show, we will hear from different regions with live reports and talk to coaches that have made surprising moves into the tournament.

Of course, you can listen in thank to http://www.goucher.edu/radio">Goucher College.
We suggest you try and use the low-bandwith signal which will require you to have htpp://forms.real.com/netzip/getrde601.html?h=software-dl.real.com&r=2723cbe80ea75bfa7021&f=windows/RealPlayer10-5GOLD_bb.exe&p=RealOne Player&oem=dlrhap_bb&tagtype=ie&type=dlrhap_bb">Real Player and selection the rtsp://helix.goucher.edu/broadcast/goucherradiolb">28K version of the show.
At the same time, you can listen to the Broadcastmonsters.com version, using http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx">Windows Media Player (go to the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for more information).

And you can share your opinions and questions with us, live on the air.
email - mailto:hoopsville@d3hoops.com">hoopsville@d3hoops.com  
AOL IM - Hoopsville2000

And for more information... check out the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" website (http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville" target=_top>www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville)!

Again... it all starts tonight at 8:30 PM EST.

wc_alum

What a (insert your favorite 4 or 5 adjectives here) joke!!! Only in D-3 would the defending national champions win their conference (a power conference at that) and not receive an invite to the NCAA tournament! C'mon NCAA, put the best teams in the tournament and can this "equal participation", or should I say "politics, incompetence, and greed", stuff. If it's really about equal participation and the student-athlete, then D-3 should eliminate all conference tournaments. That way the conference champions will get the chance they deserve. Anyway, good luck to B-W!

jdean

I think each conference determines who gets the auto-qualifier, regular season champ or post-season tournie winner. I don't believe there is any NCAA requirement that the OAC or any other conf hold a post-season tournie so your complaint probably should go to the conf.  
I agree that Wilmington deserved a chance to defend but it would have been at the expense of a team that had a better 2004 record/SOS.  Wilmington knew what they had to do to get the auto qualifier before the tournie started--beat BW next time and don't leave it to the committee.

Ben

what was there to leave to the committee, Wilmington was co-regualer season conference champs, and had a 23-5 record. And Jdean lets go back in our OAC time machine to 2003 where the Lady Quakers split BW in the regualr season and beat them in the Conference Championship game, only to have to play BW again in the post season, as BW made it in on a Pool C bid, only to lose to Wilmington again, what hurts is losing a bid to a team that is not in a conference, hmmm Maryville anyone. I dont think anyone would have found falt if WC made it in as a pool C bid.

wc_alum

Some of the teams that are in a conference are questionable picks too (Greensboro comes to mind). If this were D-1, Wilmington is the 2nd place Big 10 team and Greensboro is the winner of some conference no one has heard of. In D-1, Greensboro is happy with their #15 seed and the spanking they receive, and WC is happy to provide that spanking. Here in D-3 though, WC stays home and Greensboro gets a 1st round bye. Check the USA-South standings, 3 teams above .500 and most every school has a sub-500 record against non-conference competition...

jdean

So who is going to make the determination (and when)that the winner of a conf doesn't get in the NCAA's because the other teams in their league suck so bad? Why would schools join leagues without the opportunity for that auto-qualifier?  Fair or not there will always be losers in any selection process.

d-mac

It's time for the Big Dance... the teams are selected... the games are scheduled... and now 48 men's and 50 women's teams will take to the court this weekend with the same goal... a national title.
But who will win? The tournament previews are tonight on "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville"!!!

Sunday night we were live when the teams were selected and we found out who was in and out. The women's bracket was done relatively well... the men's bracket seems to be a bit of a disappointment.

But now we are looking ahead at the big games this weekend. From now on its win or go home.

One of those men's teams that is one of the hottest in the nation is #17 Gustavus Adulphus... who is riding an 18-game winning streak into the NCAA Tournament. The Gusties now will take on Lawrence on Thursday and could face the defending National Champs, UW-Stevens Point on Saturday. So, what might Mark Hanson be thinking. We will hear from him tonight and how his team has recovered from their 4-5 start to the season.

Now... the NCAA doesn't seed the Men's and Women's Brackets... but we will!
Tonight, live on the air, we will seed the men's and women's brackets according to how we see it and how we think the NCAA was thinking. So you can get an idea of who the NCAA thinks are the top teams and who might be hosting games in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 (Regionals).

And there are new #1 teams in both the Men's and Women's Top-25 this week... but barely. UW-Stevens Point is just points ahead of Amherst on the men's side. And on the women's, it is just a point between Scranton and Bowdoin.

We will breakdown the final regular season Top-25 and try and figure out what the voters were thinking. Along with pointing out how not all of the Top-25 made the tournament.

And of course, we will have live regional reports from around the nation and take your questions and comments live on the air.

So come join us online and LIVE from 8PM - 10PM Eastern!

"http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville": only place where you can listen or chat about Division III Basketball in the nation.

Go to the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for information on how you can listen in and chat with us live!

jdean

BW made an early exit--too bad

wc_alum

JDean,

I'm not saying that Greensboro doesn't deserve to be in the tourny, they do, regardless of how good or bad their conference is. They cannot control that. However, Wilmington deserved to be invited too, and should have received a higher seed than Greensboro. Unfortunately, the NCAA is not interested in fielding the most competitive tournament with the best teams possible, seeded in such a way as to reward the good teams from the good conferences. Of course, determing who the good teams and good conferences are is a problem in D-3 because for obvious reasons schools don't play outside their region like they do in D-1. Any SOS or other index ranking D-3 programs is not going to give a very accurate estimate of who the best programs are. I've seen both WC and Greensboro play this season, so I know what the selection committee does not about these two teams, WC by 20+ pts. Maybe the selection committee should start watching videos of games from all regions starting about February, that might sort the contenders from the pretenders. Of course, B-W's loss to Denison doesn't help my cause here does it? :-)