FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MUC57

W&L fans

Where are you. Raiderpa and I have urged you to come to Alliance, watch 2 good football teams play and just have fun. Of course, we'd rather see you in person. Let us know you're out there.
For those coming, have a safe trip. And go Generals, and most of all, go Raiders!
Pomaika'i, mult noroc both of which mean good luck. So I know a few other languages, I'm still trying to master English.
See you in Alliance!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

jknezek

There are only 3 W&L posters and I'm by far the most prolific. I'm thinking W&L will travel OK but not great this weekend. Maybe a few hundred. It's a tough draw.

MUC57

Jknezek

If you get several hundred, that would be more than the visitors usually bring. Sure would like to meet and talk to some of them.
I have forgotten. Are you coming? If so, let's see each other. I'll be wearing a purple Mount Union hat. Will probably also have purple blanket. Might have purple and white scarf.
Let me know.
Go Raiders. (Generals too)!

jknezek

Quote from: MUC57 on November 15, 2017, 02:17:16 PM

Jknezek

If you get several hundred, that would be more than the visitors usually bring. Sure would like to meet and talk to some of them.
I have forgotten. Are you coming? If so, let's see each other. I'll be wearing a purple Mount Union hat. Will probably also have purple blanket. Might have purple and white scarf.
Let me know.
Go Raiders. (Generals too)!

No. I'll be heading South to Florida that day. Family tradition to spend Thanksgiving week with my inlaws. I'm guessing it will be an ok crowd, although the weather may scare them off. W&L's parents travel well. And there is a decent amount of alums in Ohio. Other than girlfriends and the odd student that lives close by I wouldn't count on many students. Of the 3 W&L posters, only Birddawg is likely to be there. Sorry.

MUC57

Jknezek and W&L fans

First, where in Florida? My son, his wife and son, live in Sarasota. Just curious.
The more I hear about W&L, the more impressed I am. I get concerned about Mount stressing football more than academics. However; they have recently added various graduate programs and one PhD program. Maybe I should relax.
If I'm around for a few more years, would love to go to Lexington, that's Va not Ky. While I'm there, can go see VMI, the birthplace of my fraternity. Pardon me while I stroll down memory lane.
I fear I talk a lot but don't say much.
Sorry you won't be at the game. Have a safe trip.

jknezek

Quote from: MUC57 on November 15, 2017, 02:49:29 PM

Jknezek and W&L fans

First, where in Florida? My son, his wife and son, live in Sarasota. Just curious.
The more I hear about W&L, the more impressed I am. I get concerned about Mount stressing football more than academics. However; they have recently added various graduate programs and one PhD program. Maybe I should relax.
If I'm around for a few more years, would love to go to Lexington, that's Va not Ky. While I'm there, can go see VMI, the birthplace of my fraternity. Pardon me while I stroll down memory lane.
I fear I talk a lot but don't say much.
Sorry you won't be at the game. Have a safe trip.

Mount's football program has been a boon to the school as a whole. The rankings have improved throughout the 25 year run as would be expected with the extra publicity. I wouldn't worry about it. There is a lot of space in American colleges. Not all of them can cluster at the academic top nor should they all. The conversation the last few days has been rehashed many times in many ways and is mostly in good fun.

As for Lexington VA, it is a truly beautiful area. Both W&L and VMI have wonderful campuses, literally side by side. The museum at VMI is fantastic. Only place in the world you can see an Oscar and a Nobel Peace Prize in the same place along with a ton of military paraphernalia. Lee Chapel is an interesting museum as well though I am quite glad the Confederate Flags have been removed from the main floor. There is a lot of Civil War history in the museum below as well as some interesting history on the school itself.

VMI is a very imposing campus. A lot like West Point, though scaled down and the intensity scaled back. Built to resemble a 19th century fort I believe. W&L's campus is red brick and columns. Almost plantation south style. A walking tour of both, as both campuses are not just walkable but walkable from each other, is a nice way to spend a nice day.

We head down to the East side of Lake Okeechobee. About halfway between the lake and the ocean. My inlaws have a property there they call a farm. So the whole family piles into the motor home and makes the trek. We usually stop and do something roadside touristy in FL each time we go. My 8 year old daughter picked going to see the mermaids at WeekiWatchee State Park this year. We'll probably arrive about the time the game ends.

WashJeff68

jknezek,

Slightly off topic but:

Agree with everything you said about Lexington and the W&L/ VMI campuses.

I spent three years in Staunton where I graduated from the former Staunton Military Academy. Senior year three of is hitch hiked a few times to Lexington to visit a local establishment named the College Inn. Main room was for the W&L c rowd but there was a private back room for the VMI cadets. Since we wore uniforms (different from VMI's) we sort of fit in and drank beer and ate pizza with the VMI guys who were very nice to us. We must have been crazy because the repercussions of getting caught were pretty severe. But we weren't.  The three of us went back a few years ago and lamented that the CI was history, and settled on Staunton (another lovely town) for our ritual beer and pizza.

Safe travels!

Jeff in East Tennessee
Older than Springtime...Younger than dirt

jknezek

Quote from: WashJeff68 on November 15, 2017, 03:48:52 PM
jknezek,

Slightly off topic but:

Agree with everything you said about Lexington and the W&L/ VMI campuses.

I spent three years in Staunton where I graduated from the former Staunton Military Academy. Senior year three of is hitch hiked a few times to Lexington to visit a local establishment named the College Inn. Main room was for the W&L c rowd but there was a private back room for the VMI cadets. Since we wore uniforms (different from VMI's) we sort of fit in and drank beer and ate pizza with the VMI guys who were very nice to us. We must have been crazy because the repercussions of getting caught were pretty severe. But we weren't.  The three of us went back a few years ago and lamented that the CI was history, and settled on Staunton (another lovely town) for our ritual beer and pizza.

Safe travels!

Jeff in East Tennessee

I traveled up to Staunton more than a few times when at W&L. Not always sure why, but there was a restaurant there a long forgotten girlfriend liked. Don't remember the name. A lot of the restaurants and stores in Lexington have come and gone and come again. The town has gone much more upscale than when I was there, and that was upscale from a decade before. The downtown is almost completely full now, used to be more than a few crumbling office building and old hotels. But not so much anymore. Town/Gown is always complex, but Lexington really doesn't have much else going for it. The two colleges have saved that town and converted it into a flourishing place.

WashJeff68

jknezek,

I spent a lot of time driving from Knoxville to Hagerstown to visit my "old maid" sister in Hagerstown, MD when she was sick. We always spent the night on the way up and back at one of the towns in the valley. No Marriotts in Lexington, so we didn't stop there often,  but did a few times, including in 2012.

Here is a link to a picture I took downtown after dinner which I posted on Facebook for all my W&J friends:

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10151142584807792&substory_index=0&id=524272791

Hopfully, this will work, if not let me know and I'll describe it to you, assuming you are interested.

jknezek

Quote from: WashJeff68 on November 15, 2017, 04:29:07 PM
jknezek,

I spent a lot of time driving from Knoxville to Hagerstown to visit my "old maid" sister in Hagerstown, MD when she was sick. We always spent the night on the way up and back at one of the towns in the valley. No Marriotts in Lexington, so we didn't stop there often,  but did a few times, including in 2012.

Here is a link to a picture I took downtown after dinner which I posted on Facebook for all my W&J friends:

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10151142584807792&substory_index=0&id=524272791

Hopfully, this will work, if not let me know and I'll describe it to you, assuming you are interested.

I can't get to it. But we were there a year ago this week. Only the second time back since I graduated. I wish I could get back more. Generally I settle for seeing the guys play every other year when they come down to Sewanee.

WashJeff68

jknezek,

The picture is taken at the corner of Washington & Jefferson streets, identifoed in the pic by the street signs.

Right behind that is a curved wall with "Washington & Lee University" carved into it.

Interesting juxtaposition, I thought.

jknezek

Down at the front of campus? I know that corner well. My fraternity house was a block up the hill toward the college and a half block to the left.

HSCTiger fan

I'm hoping WL's offense is something MU has not seen this year. I don't see the WL defense shutting down MU but if WL can control the clock maybe WL can keep it close enough to have a chance at the end.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 16, 2017, 11:36:28 AM
I'm hoping WL's offense is something MU has not seen this year. I don't see the WL defense shutting down MU but if WL can control the clock maybe WL can keep it close enough to have a chance at the end.

That's a lot of hope. I'm just hoping they keep it competitive for a while frankly. UMU's team speed is going to be a real problem for W&L's offense any way you cut it. They can miss assignments and still have the athleticism to keep it from turning into a problem. And UMU is not really known for blown defensive assignments. The weather is looking pretty ugly. I'm hoping that will keep UMU on the ground and the clock moving.

HSCTiger fan

I know it's a lot to hope. It's the only way WL has a shot IMO.  It cuts both ways, MU will have trouble in practice replicating the WL offense at the speed in which WL runs it. Assignment football takes lots of reps and focus. MU has great athletes for sure but they are still 18-21 year olds. Anything can happen!  SHOCK THE D3 WORLD!
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"