FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Oline89 on June 29, 2020, 03:58:46 PM
Looking through LL schedules, I picked out games that might be at risk due to travel:

Buff St v Judson
Hobart v Rowan
IC v John Carroll
UR v Case Western
RPI v Montclair St and Stevenson
SLU v Norwich

All the rest seem to be either NY state games, or Mass.  Thoughts?

..................and Rowan and Montclair State have already lost TCNJ. Can you say clusterfudge???

ITH radio

RPI just cancelled fall sports season.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Oline89

Quote from: ITH radio on June 30, 2020, 10:56:08 AM

This is the biggest news yet, a school in upstate NY where there has been very low overall positive COVID cases.  My optimism for a season is now officially beginning to wane.

jmcozenlaw

The snowball is beginning to pick up steam!!

Caz Bombers

Vassar bringing students back for the fall, athletics are a "maybe" at this time.

Union is doing a hybrid approach with freshmen on campus and everyone else with certain options about on campus or online...they say a decision about athletics should be made by July 15.

Rochester's reopening plan touches on athletics but doesn't say much beyond recreational use for student life. I don't think they're going to play, tbh.

I've heard the LL presidents are having a conference call tomorrow.

UfanBill

From the RPI webpage... :(

"Athletics and Intramural Sports: For NCAA programs, Institute teams will not participate in intercollegiate athletics during the Fall 2020 season. The decision to participate in intercollegiate athletic competitions during the Winter 2020 and Spring 2021 seasons will be made at an appropriate time, and will be informed by an evaluation of the state of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Institute will continue to confer with the NCAA, the ECAC, and the Liberty League regarding subsequent decisions. Our recreation and intramural programs will be in complete alignment with federal, state, county, and institutional health and safety policies and protocols for testing, tracing, tracking,treatment, and quarantine or isolation as necessary."
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

tony/troy

Quote from: Oline89 on June 30, 2020, 11:18:19 AM

This is the biggest news yet, a school in upstate NY where there has been very low overall positive COVID cases.  My optimism for a season is now officially beginning to wane.

Obviously no way of knowing where Oline lives but, as of Monday's figures, "very low overall positive COVID cases" appears to be a gross overstatement. In actuality, the statement probably should read virtually NON EXISTENT.

For the twelve county area who receive the Spectrum Albany News station through their cable boxes (they do not transmit via airwaves), the population is 1.259 MILLION. Total active COVID cases in those twelve counties combined number 178. The largest individual county total is 40. Ironically, that one is the county where RPI is located. Percent wise it works out to .0001413. That is about 1.4 people per 10 THOUSAND or almost 3 people per 20 THOUSAND. Thus, it is hardly a shock that the Capital District is entering phase 4 of reopening tomorrow.

For travel to away CONFERENCE GAMES, RPI was only scheduled to go to three areas that, to the best of my knowledge, entered phase 4 reopening last Friday (4 days ago). In fact, again to the best of my knowledge, ALL Liberty League full members AND VIRTUALLY ALL Liberty League affiliate members located in New York State are located in areas that, as of tomorrow, will ALL be in phase 4 of reopening.

Seems odd that someplace decides to close up parts of their operation at the same time most other things in these parts are reopening. It will prove interesting to see over the next couple weeks if any or how many other Liberty League institutions interpret the data the same way.     

Lastly, a quick browse through the institution's reopening protocols regarding what students, faculty and staff have to subject themselves to in order to be on campus, would have left the practicality of holding athletic events in serious question should those protocols had also applied to fans and other visitors. My guess is that most would have said thanks, but, no thanks and stayed away in droves. 

Oline89

Quote from: tony/troy on June 30, 2020, 07:49:43 PM
Quote from: Oline89 on June 30, 2020, 11:18:19 AM

Obviously no way of knowing where Oline lives but, as of Monday's figures, "very low overall positive COVID cases" appears to be a gross overstatement. In actuality, the statement probably should read virtually NON EXISTENT.

For the twelve county area who receive the Spectrum Albany News station through their cable boxes (they do not transmit via airwaves), the population is 1.259 MILLION. Total active COVID cases in those twelve counties combined number 178. The largest individual county total is 40. Ironically, that one is the county where RPI is located. Percent wise it works out to .0001413. That is about 1.4 people per 10 THOUSAND or almost 3 people per 20 THOUSAND. Thus, it is hardly a shock that the Capital District is entering phase 4 of reopening tomorrow.

For travel to away CONFERENCE GAMES, RPI was only scheduled to go to three areas that, to the best of my knowledge, entered phase 4 reopening last Friday (4 days ago). In fact, again to the best of my knowledge, ALL Liberty League full members AND VIRTUALLY ALL Liberty League affiliate members located in New York State are located in areas that, as of tomorrow, will ALL be in phase 4 of reopening.

Seems odd that someplace decides to close up parts of their operation at the same time most other things in these parts are reopening. It will prove interesting to see over the next couple weeks if any or how many other Liberty League institutions interpret the data the same way.     

Lastly, a quick browse through the institution's reopening protocols regarding what students, faculty and staff have to subject themselves to in order to be on campus, would have left the practicality of holding athletic events in serious question should those protocols had also applied to fans and other visitors. My guess is that most would have said thanks, but, no thanks and stayed away in droves.

Eastern PA, Tony/Troy.  But we head to Finger Lakes regularly.  One of the only "green" areas in the entire country is Upstate NY.  Hopefully, the rest of the LL and E8 take this into consideration when deciding the future of fall sports in region.  The country will never be COVID free, the goal is to get to a green level and control any local outbreaks.

ITH radio

Not 100% official yet, but word is the LL is leaning towards starting the FB season in Wk 4 - 9/26 and playing all in league plus 2 OOC games. I'm guessing those OOC overlap games are probably E8, but we'll have to wait and see. Assuming it stands, the first wkd would include:

St. Lawrence   Hartwick                   TBA   
Cortland        Buffalo State        12 PM   
Ithaca        St. John Fisher        1 PM   
Alfred        Rochester                 6 PM
Keystone        Hobart                     6 PM
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bartman

Quote from: ITH radio on July 01, 2020, 09:49:16 PM
Not 100% official yet, but word is the LL is leaning towards starting the FB season in Wk 4 - 9/26 and playing all in league plus 2 OOC games. I'm guessing those OOC overlap games are probably E8, but we'll have to wait and see. Assuming it stands, the first wkd would include:

At this point, I am happy for any sign there will be life on campus and Football. We have to get back to living life as we contain the risk intelligently. I hope Hobart can reschedule the Alfred game with the loss of RPI from the schedule. I know Hobart is committed to a season as much as possible subject to  state intervention  and local community health developments. Fingers crossed for everyone staying healthy and seeing the Statesmen take the field at 6pm on 9/26 for the 2020 season(whether live at the BOZ or from a viewing position outside the BOZ )....GOBART!
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Bartman on July 02, 2020, 09:07:00 AMcommitted to a season as much as possible subject to  state intervention  and local community health developments

This is all we can really ask for, right? Here's hoping!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

BomberJeff

Ohio Athletic Conference announces no out of conference games this fall for football, volleyball and soccer.  That removes John Carroll from the Ithaca schedule, so the Bombers have now lost 2 games this week.  Doesn't appear to affect anybody else in the Liberty League.

UfanBill

Quote from: ITH radio on July 01, 2020, 09:49:16 PM

Union is currently unscheduled 9/26. .Possible opponents for Union on 9/26, if that's starting day, include Anna Maria who was scheduled to play RPI 9/26 (and at Union on 9/12) Morrisville who is scheduled to play at Husson that day(a game surely to be cancelled) and Utica which has an open date that day and is scheduled to play Union on 11/7. In keeping with the E8 vs LL match-ups isn't it likely either Morrisville or Utica, not Keystone, will play Hobart, with Union playing the other?

That might leave...
    LL           vs              E8
St. Lawrence                Hartwick *               * currently scheduled
Buff St.                     Cortland *
Ithaca                         St JF      *
Roch                           Alfred     *
Hobart                        Morrisville*
Union                          Utica

A switch to St.L. vs Utica and Union/Hartwick would shorten travel time and mean no potential overnight for St. Lawrence. 
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Bartman

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO THE D3 and LL community ;D
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath