CCIW

Started by Mr. Ypsi, September 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_jays

Quote from: MidwestAficionado on August 23, 2014, 03:18:17 PM
That's some Bruce Pearl BS if you ask me. Coaches should worry about their own program and leave it at that.
I disagree. People have been grumbling about the semi pro Swedes that NPU has gotten for a number of years now, beyond just Wheaton. Wasn't Kris Grahn like 28 in his senior season? Glad the NCAA looked into it, and if it's cleared and above board, so much the better. It won't stop the grumbling, but maybe it will curtail it a bit.

Gotberg

Quote from: blue_jays on August 30, 2014, 01:57:27 PM
That's some Bruce Pearl BS if you ask me. Coaches should worry about their own program and leave it at that.
I disagree. People have been grumbling about the semi pro Swedes that NPU has gotten for a number of years now, beyond just Wheaton. Wasn't Kris Grahn like 28 in his senior season? Glad the NCAA looked into it, and if it's cleared and above board, so much the better. It won't stop the grumbling, but maybe it will curtail it a bit.

I am biased, but seems only like sour grapes.  The assumption would have been that North Park intended to break rules and throw it in front of everyone's face - it wasn't like they were trying to hide anything (age, location, club teams, etc)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Mr. Ypsi

Unlike football, basketball (both genders), and baseball, IWU usually sucks at soccer.  Anyone know what the prospects look like for this season?

Gregory Sager

I disagree. People have been grumbling about the semi pro Swedes that NPU has gotten for a number of years now, beyond just Wheaton.

Then those people are ignorant, because none of NPU's Swedes have been "semipro" players. They've all been amateurs, as has been confirmed by the NCAA.

Quote from: blue_jays on August 30, 2014, 01:57:27 PMWasn't Kris Grahn like 28 in his senior season?

No, but even if he had been it wouldn't have made any difference. There's no age limit in D3 athletics.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

NPU beat St. Mary's (MN) today, 4-1. It wasn't much of a contest, as the Cardinals aren't very good -- aside from a brief hiccup of a couple of minutes around the 80:00 mark when SMU scored its goal and got four of its six SOG, the Cardinals hardly even threatened Wes Woodley at all -- but it was interesting to see all the freshmen that John Born is playing. Three started, four others saw heavy minutes, and a couple of others saw some late tick once the match was in the bag. It looks like the NPU coaching staff's come up with a pretty serious crop of plebes. There seems to be a higher cumulative level of ball skills and creativity among these freshmen than I've seen in the past few classes. Two of the frosh, Nathaniel Paisley and Stany Lokamba, scored goals today that were jaw-dropping individual plays.

It remains to be seen how well they're able to mesh their individual skills with the team, as well as how well they cope with the rigors of CCIW play. And the Vikings' season is still going to come down to how far the veteran core of Greiff, Damberg, Fodstad, Zabielski, Lashlee, Tahmi-Masoleh, Ostberg, and Woodley can take them.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 01, 2014, 05:31:20 PM
I disagree. People have been grumbling about the semi pro Swedes that NPU has gotten for a number of years now, beyond just Wheaton.

Then those people are ignorant, because none of NPU's Swedes have been "semipro" players. They've all been amateurs, as has been confirmed by the NCAA.

Quote from: blue_jays on August 30, 2014, 01:57:27 PMWasn't Kris Grahn like 28 in his senior season?

No, but even if he had been it wouldn't have made any difference. There's no age limit in D3 athletics.

Sweden has a very structured club system:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_football_league_system

I think only the top 2 levels pay their players.  I think most of NPU's Swedes are usually from Divisions 4 - 6 or something like that - with a player occasionally from a higher division (not to be confused with level), like Jonas Petterson and Kris Grahn.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

matblake

SuperSub15

Carthage with a huge 3-0 win over Wartburg.

Purplegatorade

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 30, 2014, 04:26:57 PM
Unlike football, basketball (both genders), and baseball, IWU usually sucks at soccer.  Anyone know what the prospects look like for this season?

Are you saying that IWU women are not good at soccer?  From what I can gather they have been consistently ranked in the region and in the nation.  Not to mention making NCAA tournament appearances.

markerickson

Anyone know if NPU stud Grahn stuck around the USA or has he left after earning a graduate degree?
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

Gotberg

Quote from: markerickson on October 04, 2014, 09:51:54 PM
Anyone know if NPU stud Grahn stuck around the USA or has he left after earning a graduate degree?

He is the associate head coach of the NPU soccer team:  http://athletics.northpark.edu/coaches.aspx?rc=244&path=msoc

NCC26

Don't take the cardinals lighly NPU.  This is a very young and hungry team.

Gregory Sager

NPU doesn't take anybody lightly. John Born didn't get the program to where it is by overlooking opponents.

MidwestAficionado

Quote from: NCC26 on October 07, 2014, 03:59:14 PM
Don't take the cardinals lighly NPU.  This is a very young and hungry team.

NCC know how to win but their style and tactics are so elementary. I saw them play a game where they were up a man for 70+ minutes but couldn't break the team down until the 80th minute because they couldn't complete 5 passes in a row. If NPU can defend a long ball or set piece and take care of their opportunities, I would expect a 2-0 or even 3-0 victory.

NCC26

That's due to the youth of this team.  I'm sure coach Klosterman will have them ready.  I don't expect NCC to win, but it sure is nice to talk about them as NCC soccer hasn't been relevant in the CCIW for a looooooooong time.  Don't know if I'll be at game or not (son has birthday and we'll be coming home from a youth game in rockford late)