New York Region 2018

Started by John McGraw, March 29, 2018, 01:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airball55

Big Poppa, not true.  Most conferences pre-set their conference schedules and up here in the Northeast most teams play all their conference games in April and May. Not sure what you are saying..You can't cancel conference games to play other teams although a place like Fisher or Oswego would try :)

BigPoppa

They may not be able to control the opponent, but they have 100% control over the record. My point of contention was that they do have control over the record. Play well and win and everything else takes care of itself.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ralph Turner

http://www.d3baseball.com/playoffs/2018/2018-playoff-projections

Here is Jim Dixon's write-up. 

Just look what winning 2 more games for SJF does. Don't give up 3 in the bottom of the 9th to BWC and then beat Otterbein the next day.

Your Results vs RRO changes to 11-12 and you now are 31-14.

That is how close SJF came.

airball55

Agree Ralph.  Again, my thing isn't really Fisher as much as it is with Cortland.  The last couple of years SOS has been the determining criteria.  See Baldwin Wallace a couple years ago at like 25-18 and then a trip to the series.  As for Fisher, they with a couple of others can compare lists all day long.  The last 10 game thing to me is utterly useless.  Especially with makeups.  I commend teams like Fisher for taking on all comers regardless of outcome.  I just wanted Oswego to stay here in NY...I believe they deserved that right by what they did AT Cortland.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: airball55 on May 14, 2018, 01:56:08 PM
Agree Ralph.  Again, my thing isn't really Fisher as much as it is with Cortland.  The last couple of years SOS has been the determining criteria.  See Baldwin Wallace a couple years ago at like 25-18 and then a trip to the series.  As for Fisher, they with a couple of others can compare lists all day long.  The last 10 game thing to me is utterly useless.  Especially with makeups.  I commend teams like Fisher for taking on all comers regardless of outcome.  I just wanted Oswego to stay here in NY...I believe they deserved that right by what they did AT Cortland.
I think that I understand that you wanted the NCAA to keep Oswego in this regional rather than sending them to New England. 

SOS has always been one of the criteria.

Cortland's 7-5 RRO versus Oswego's 8-9 is another factor.

That being the case, apparently, 2 season ending wins over Cortland were not enough to flip Oswego and Cortland in the Regional rankings.

Thank you.

airball55

cool Ralph!  I just can't get over Cortland playing just 12 RRO's and playing Wells, Cazenovia, SUNY IT, Hamilton, SUNY Canton, Elmira, Utica and U of Rochester.  Rochester had a nice run by the way at the end but failed to win one game out of league!  With this said, go Cortland, but, let's hope that SOS doesn't hurt them in the regional...those teams are not like the ones I listed above. 

Ralph Turner

I find it interesting when the #6 seed has a really really strong #1 pitcher and he is the guy who carried the team to the playoffs.  He knocks off the #3 seed in the first round and the rest of the staff cannot do much after that.

OldBallsHenry

Which team are you referring to?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: OldBallsHenry on May 14, 2018, 08:34:44 PM
Which team are you referring to?
No team in particular, but we see upsets of higher seeds in the Regionals when the ace of a #6, or #7 or a #8 beats the pitcher of the higher seeded team.  This leads to the baseball dictum that you always throw the best arm as soon as possible.

If that ace for the #6 team beat the #2 pitcher for the #3 seed, and the coach was saving the #1 for the "tougher" opponent in the second round, then you are battling out of the consolation round.

airball55

And this year, where the number 1's are closer to the rest of the field, those guys are all vulnerable to the bottom seeds who usually have a guy good enough to beat most anyone!

Jim Dixon

Quote from: airball55 on May 15, 2018, 10:48:39 AM
And this year, where the number 1's are closer to the rest of the field, those guys are all vulnerable to the bottom seeds who usually have a guy good enough to beat most anyone!

That is probably why the bottom seeds made it, they have that guy.

airball55

Yup, and that is the case here in NY.  Cortland has struggled a lot at the plate, Oswego thumped them pretty bad and the kid from Westfield St. has great numbers.  I am pulling for the Dragons but the end of the year and the weak scheduling has me scared. 

KSCfan

Hello gents came on over here from the New England boards as a couple of teams from new england are playing in NY and a couple of NY teams are playing over in the NE regional. 

Oswego will have their work cut out for them in New England as I feel that is a tougher regional than NY.  Umass Boston is scary good, and they are literally playing 45 minutes from their home.  I dont know a lot about Oswego who would be good players to watch for as they play in the regional.   I would say good luck to NY teams but I am new england homer and want two new england teams to make the world series so go Southern Maine, Amherst and Westfield.

airball55

well said, after looking at the regionals...Cortland was obviously the number 1 overall in the country.  The NY regional is...suspect.  The pitching in the first game today was not good.  I am now taking Cortland in this region.  The competition is not good in comparison.  At least Cortland can pitch.  They may not need to hit. FYI, Oswego can hit the baseball.  That's what they do.  They don't catch it too well lol, but Oswego can hit, one of the better hitting teams in this region on par or close to Fisher and Union.

John McGraw

Quote from: airball55 on May 17, 2018, 01:23:24 PM
well said, after looking at the regionals...Cortland was obviously the number 1 overall in the country.  The NY regional is...suspect.  The pitching in the first game today was not good.  I am now taking Cortland in this region.  The competition is not good in comparison.  At least Cortland can pitch.  They may not need to hit. FYI, Oswego can hit the baseball.  That's what they do.  They don't catch it too well lol, but Oswego can hit, one of the better hitting teams in this region on par or close to Fisher and Union.

Swarthmore threw its number three guy. They'll have one of their top two arms now available for the winners' bracket game tomorrow. Their gamble paid off. B-W not a great pitching team to begin with but had been scoring runs in bunches. Their offense cooled down today.

This was one game in the 4-5 matchup played at 10:00 AM. And sometimes good pitchers have bad days.