MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Dutch Fan and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

haterinthehouse

Davis is listed as a frosh, looking more into his stats, FTM, RBS, Fg%, and a 43 pt performance, not newcomer????

hopefan

A couple more tidbits from the semis... 'first-hand'

Spalding court...  consensus from those I asked is court is regulation length...  the balcony at far end could come into play if passer from out of bounds was standing back from endline at corners due to defensive pressure.. ball could hit undercarriage of balcony after it leaves passers hand... would be extremely rare situation...  more chance of careless pass from underneath hitting bottom of backboard in ANY gym...

Spalding AD commented biggest crowd they ever had... a shame.. may have been 50% capacity.. one group of students at far end were doing it up pretty good.. GREAT.. it created some ATMOSPHERE!!!

Great conversation with Will Barber ..seems many of the Spalding players are avid readers of this site...  also good conversation with Todd Creal.. Brady Slagle likely to Grad school with a degree in accounting... disappointed to also be losing Spencer Pratt who has another year of eligibility but will be graduating 'early' and also looking at grad school...
Speaking of Mac, Coach Creal created early surprise with another new starting lineup going big against Webster.. Busch, Whitlock and Slagle all started... worked pretty well for first 7 o r 8 minutes, but Webster negated it the rest of the game...
Obviously on a Thursday night 300 miles away, the three visiting schools had little fan support.. looked like Mac brought the most family members along....  Webster and Westmin ladies teams added some vocal support to their men's teams...

Westmin.. yikes.. turnovers killed them ... 17 vs only 10 for Spalding.. Spalding plays tough defense  Westmin 8/15 in first half from line, may have been different flow in 2nd half if they make 4 or 5 more
Mac.. just couldn't find the basket in the second half vs Webster  11/36 from field, 2/12 from 3's... got no help from the bench either ...  turnovers were not the problem

The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

BunchTime

Good write up, Hope.  How about a prediction for Saturday's final?

Denny McKinney

Come on Bud..... You were doing great gym discripiton. Then subjectively added the " Bottom of the board. It's what 8' wide. You said baseline and corners. There are other quirky gyms I've been in. I would use it strategically. I could only dream of having Justin Storandt on the ball in my 1-2-1-1 "AirRaid Press" and every def. In bound play. We know off player would never be trying to in bound from the line. I'm sure Coach Bunch has put Miller on the base line and knows what he has. It's there if that situation comes UP. Looks like the place has had a total paint job. Looks a lot Brighter.

I to was disappointed with the crowd. It doesn't take that many people to make it look full. Give away a free Pizza Party to the dorm or campus club that brings the most.

Are any other Coach's there scouting Our Winner?

hopefan

I don't know that I would have recognized a 'scout' unless they were sitting next to me and taking notes.. Will Barber and I talked about where Spalding could be sent if they win the conf tourney.. obviously hoping South rather than risk coming up this direction to face IWU or Wash U....  in reality, I think sending Scouts on the road is a dying, or even dead, science, what with the ease of video exchange with a simple email....I think Spalding could compete with the likes of Centre, Trinity, Maryville, Tn, Huntingdon etc....

Tomorrow's game.. big problem is with Hollis or not... honestly, I'll stick with my earlier statement... I consider any win over Spalding as an upset....

hopefan

NOTE the SLIAC has announced the women's Championship game time will be moved up due to potential storm in Missouri.. Ladies will play at 4 EST, 3 CST....  not at 7 EST as originally scheduled... Men still play at 1 EST, Noon CST

BunchTime

At the risk of sounding too non-PC, why do the women play the later game? What was previously supposed to be at 7pm?

Hollis is a good defensive player but I'm not so sure Webster is worse without him playing.  Haven't seen the last 5 games or so live but according to the box scores he hasn't done a whole lot offensively.  Odjo and the other frosh perhaps provide more O. No?

I'm confident Coach Bunch will have his troop ready to roll tomorrow!  GO GORLOKS! 

Denny McKinney

With the Webster / Spalding Doubleheader tomorrow, we'll see what the conference really is made of. If your a fan of WU or SU there is a good chance one of your teams gets to experience the dream. Spalding should be working media now. They need to do what ever to put 200 bodies in the house. Free tickets to neighborhood youth league. WU has 40 people there just in families and cheerleaders. WU better have a fan charter bus leaving in the morning. That's min. 100. You put 350 in that gym it will be electric.

Good Luck to Both Schools.

Denny McKinney

Bunchtime, that's the Legislation your Former WBB Coach pushed thru. Rotates each year. Plus if your going to do it that way, women need the extra recovery time. What I don't understand is why 1pm and 7pm? Why not 5 and 7?

y_jack_lok

Quote from: BunchTime on February 28, 2014, 10:00:51 PM
At the risk of sounding too non-PC, why do the women play the later game? What was previously supposed to be at 7pm?

The men played on Thursday, so have a full-day plus off before playing again. The later start time for the women is so they would have nearly 24 hours between games, before the start time was moved up 3 hours. The men were always scheduled to play the afternoon game tomorrow and the women the evening game.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Denny McKinney on February 28, 2014, 10:28:16 PM
What I don't understand is why 1pm and 7pm? Why not 5 and 7?

I'm sure the afternoon and evening start times were set so that people could travel between venues if both tournaments were not being held at the same site.

BunchTime

That's right. I forgot about that, Denny.  Every other conference at every level of hoops has the men's game as the featured event.  PC for you. Ridiculous!

Yjack, the times weren't set prior to the field for both the mens and women's tourney being announced.  At least I saw no where on any website (the participating teams or the SLIAC) where times were announced.  And even if times were set, how hard would be too change them when the tourney is being held at the same school?

monsoon

Quote from: BunchTime on February 28, 2014, 11:45:39 PM
Every other conference at every level of hoops has the men's game as the featured event.

The MIAA is also playing the men's game in the afternoon (at 3) and the women's game in the evening (at 7:30).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: BunchTime on February 28, 2014, 11:45:39 PM
That's right. I forgot about that, Denny.  Every other conference at every level of hoops has the men's game as the featured event.  PC for you. Ridiculous!

Actually... no. Several conferences... an increasing number... in Division III have or are starting to implement a swap between men and women title games... and regular season schedule as well.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Denny McKinney

Bunchtime, See what that Coach started. ;D ??? But the SLIAC conference voted conference schedule Women's game first after he departed. And it was a lot of Women's coaches the requested it.