With the season cancellations, what will happen to...

Started by Shep Messing, July 17, 2020, 04:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shep Messing

1. Coaches/asst coaches salaries?  Will they get paid, furloughed or canned outright?  Many of these coaches supplement their salaries with club coaching and clinics, which also will not happen.  That's a real hardship.

2. Seniors will retain a year of eligibility - will there be a frenzied market to attract players to play a grad year as a transfer?

Curious of people's thoughts

College Soccer Observer

There are places where club play is fully back in the same area that colleges are cancelling.  Illinois is fully back to club play, although high schools are not permitted to have scrimmages at this time.  Those same kids playing club, however, are allowed to play actual games.  Very few colleges in Illinois that have announced a cancelled season. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

NCAA has already put things in place that students will not lose a year of eligibility if there is no season and if a team does not play the minimum number of games (which was reduced to 9 or 10 in soccer, I can't remember ... I may be a bit off; it is 12 in basketball, at about half of the maximum allowed).

As for staff and coaches ... it will depend on the schools. There are already a number of coaches at schools in all sports that have been dealing with fuloughs. It just hasn't been a story of note. That has already happened and may continue.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

nescacfan94

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on July 19, 2020, 01:03:14 PM
NCAA has already put things in place that students will not lose a year of eligibility if there is no season and if a team does not play the minimum number of games (which was reduced to 9 or 10 in soccer, I can't remember ... I may be a bit off; it is 12 in basketball, at about half of the maximum allowed).

As for staff and coaches ... it will depend on the schools. There are already a number of coaches at schools in all sports that have been dealing with fuloughs. It just hasn't been a story of note. That has already happened and may continue.

So this isn't the complete story, because different conferences have different eligibility rules regarding 5th year 9th semester players. The Ivy League posted this: "Fall sport student-athletes will not use a season of Ivy League or NCAA eligibility in the fall, whether or not they enroll. Students who wish to pursue competition during a fifth-year will need to work with their institutions in accordance with campus policy to determine their options beyond their current anticipated graduation date." So it isn't clear cut, and schools will need to make adjustments to existing policies in order to allow for an extra year. I know a variety of soccer players going through this process in different D1 and D3 conferences, and the policies are quite different. Some schools are being flexible now, and others have yet to properly address this issue with their student athletes, frustrating players and coaches alike. Players that don't want to pay for a graduate semester, or a 9th semester, need to take a leave of absence, and a D3 school might end up with an enrollment too large to handle in the fall of 2021 or 2022, for instance. That is driving the lack of clarity at many schools.

That said, in the end, I believe most will allow these players to get back the season, but the details on this are still TBD.

PlaySimple

Quote from: Shep Messing on July 17, 2020, 04:27:00 PM
2. Seniors will retain a year of eligibility - will there be a frenzied market to attract players to play a grad year as a transfer?

It's probably already been mentioned in another tread but if there are 10 games or less, players can get a waiver to play another year. I don't believe that there will be a season and if some schools do start a season, I see only a few games being played. Someone on a lot of teams will test positive and there goes the season.

I personally do not believe that there will be a "frenzied market" to attract players to play a year as a grad student. I believe that there will be some instances of players playing a year as a grad student but many graduate programs are too demanding and will not afford the student the time to also play. Many former D3 student-athletes that go on to graduate school will be doing so at a D1 institution. There are D3 players that are good enough to play at D1 schools and I know players that transferred from a D3 school to a D1 school as an undergrad but the time commitment for athletes at a D1 school is even greater. Again, it will happen, but it won't be common. Most student-athletes will chalk it up as "it is what it is" and will move on.

I see the described scenario playing out a lot more at the D1 level with a student-athlete playing another year as a 5th year senior at his or her current institution or elsewhere as a transfer.

OldNed

1. Coaches/asst coaches salaries?  Will they get paid, furloughed or canned outright?  Many of these coaches supplement their salaries with club coaching and clinics, which also will not happen.  That's a real hardship.

My son is something like the 4th assistant on a D1 team, and as such he doesn't actually get paid through the school but rather through a coaching gig at a local club team.  The state where my son's team is located has very low Covid rates (I hope that continues) and there are a number of camps that have taken place over the summer and will continue to take place, both with his club team and with other groups.  I know they are taking all necessary precautions. 

I asked my son about other coaches who do get paid by the school, and if he knows what's happening with them he's not saying so to me, so that's a question I'd like to know, too.  I do know that the work of a D1 soccer coaching staff continues despite Covid, so they continue to have meetings and such.  I believe there were Covid-related layoffs at the school throughout various different athletic teams, and men's soccer lost one assistant during the layoff. 

southsidejet

Quote from: PlaySimple on July 20, 2020, 02:41:15 PM

It's probably already been mentioned in another tread but if there are 10 games or less, players can get a waiver to play another year. I don't believe that there will be a season and if some schools do start a season, I see only a few games being played. Someone on a lot of teams will test positive and there goes the season.

Based on half the number of max games (25 per these forums), so more like 12+ games are needed to be counted as an 'official' season for the players.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: southsidejet on July 23, 2020, 01:14:04 PM

Based on half the number of max games (25 per these forums), so more like 12+ games are needed to be counted as an 'official' season for the players.

Soccer's max is not 25. Not the max a team could possibly play, but the max soccer is allowed to play in the regular season (conference postseason counted as 1 game no matter how many played). For soccer the max is 20. I believe the minimum is mow 9 for these circumstances: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/diii-reduces-number-required-contests?division=d3
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

southsidejet

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on July 23, 2020, 03:35:16 PM
Quote from: southsidejet on July 23, 2020, 01:14:04 PM

Soccer's max is not 25. Not the max a team could possibly play, but the max soccer is allowed to play in the regular season (conference postseason counted as 1 game no matter how many played). For soccer the max is 20. I believe the minimum is mow 9 for these circumstances: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/diii-reduces-number-required-contests?division=d3

The '25' number was from one of your replies to my earlier question? 20/9 makes more sense. Probably going to be a moot point soon anyway.

judgetrainer

As was reported, coaches will face the same sort of problems that other college staff will have. I know my alma mater (Lawrence U) is treating coaches (at least the full timers) as if they are admissions staff and telling them to recruit, recruit, recruit.

Budgets are getting hit by the pandemic at colleges just like any other business. I fear we will see some schools not make it out of this or be terribly weakened.