FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CardinalAlum

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 24, 2017, 11:59:14 PM
Quote from: AndOne on September 24, 2017, 11:46:11 PM
Quote from: izzy stradlin on September 24, 2017, 06:33:25 PM
Quote from: CardinalAlum on September 24, 2017, 06:13:09 PM
Not sure why but the Cards have moved ahead of Wheaton in this week's Top 25.  Not sure either team did anything to move up or down, respectively.

http://www.d3football.com/top25/2017/week4

I'm pretty sure it is because Wheaton lost a starting DT and C (preseason AA) likely for the year.

But it's also a pretty sure thing that the replacements for the dismissed players are pretty good players in their own right. Wheaton didn't replace those guys with Swiss cheese.

Hope not. That would lead to a lot of bad snaps and sacks.

Now that was funny!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Gregory Sager

At first I read it as, "That would lead to a lot of bad snaps and snacks," and my first thought was, "Hmm. I guess that Patrick is more of a cheddar kind of guy than Swiss."
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

79jaybird

Saturday Wheaton's depth really showed and how good teams can find ways to win.  Elmhurst just lacks in certain areas.   Overall, I thought Elmhurst played decent,  but decent play against top caliber teams, doesn't always spell victory.   Wheaton's defense is scary.  They can be dominating at times. 
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

iwu70

I'm certain Wheaton didn't have any great drop-off in talent due to these suspensions.  Plus, they must feel besieged after the week and all the negative press attention they've had.  There's surely more to the story, more to come out over time.  IWU will have to bring their "A game" on Saturday and play the top-level D they've been playing as well as have a better day offensively, including few or no TOs.  Wish I could make the trip up for the game, but won't be able to travel this weekend.

Go TITANS!

IWU'70

Mr. Ypsi

I only wish that the Wheaton replacements were 'Swiss cheese' - pretty sure the Titan defense is good enough to find the holes! ;D  Alas, I fear that Wheaton is the best team we have faced.  At the time, I thought it was UWW, but that era of dominance seems to have ended (still very good, but no longer dominant).  And despite the flip-flop this week in the national poll, my fan ballot (both nationally and regionally) still has Wheaton one slot above NCC.  It's gonna take the Titans' best game of the season to even be competitive, much less come away with the win.

GO GREEN!!!

AndOne

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 25, 2017, 09:03:33 PM
I only wish that the Wheaton replacements were 'Swiss cheese' - pretty sure the Titan defense is good enough to find the holes! ;D  Alas, I fear that Wheaton is the best team we have faced.  At the time, I thought it was UWW, but that era of dominance seems to have ended (still very good, but no longer dominant).  And despite the flip-flop this week in the national poll, my fan ballot (both nationally and regionally) still has Wheaton one slot above NCC.  It's gonna take the Titans' best game of the season to even be competitive, much less come away with the win.

GO GREEN!!!

Ypsi,

It seems a little funny that you say, Wheaton aside, that you thought UWW was the best team you faced given the fact you were able to do things against UWW that you were unable to do against NCC. Perhaps you got purple and cardinal confused!  ;)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: AndOne on September 25, 2017, 11:57:17 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 25, 2017, 09:03:33 PM

GO GREEN!!!

Ypsi,

It seems a little funny that you say, Wheaton aside, that you thought UWW was the best team you faced given the fact you were able to do things against UWW that you were unable to do against NCC. Perhaps you got purple and cardinal confused!  ;)

No, I think you have your weeks confused.  At the time we played UWW they were still the perennial Stagg Bowl participants and ranked third in the country.  THEN I thought they were our toughest opponents of the season.  NOW I think they are third or perhaps even fourth (Carthage may or may not be tougher).

gryfalia

Quote from: iwu70 on September 25, 2017, 08:38:56 PM
I'm certain Wheaton didn't have any great drop-off in talent due to these suspensions.  Plus, they must feel besieged after the week and all the negative press attention they've had.  There's surely more to the story, more to come out over time.  IWU will have to bring their "A game" on Saturday and play the top-level D they've been playing as well as have a better day offensively, including few or no TOs.  Wish I could make the trip up for the game, but won't be able to travel this weekend.

Go TITANS!

IWU'70

Well, my wife will be doing cheering for the IWU alums this weekend.  I, of course, will be cheering on my Crus..er, Thunder at my 25th Homecoming!  I'm just glad the weather is forecast to be NOTHING like last weekend...

iwu70

Yes, wish I could be at WC this weekend to cheer on my TITANS.  Have other commitments here in B/N.  Should be a great atmosphere and game.  Go TITANS!

Surely NCC and WC have now proven they are tougher opponents than WI-WW, though our first-game win was a definitive one for gaining confidence, over-achieving for this TITAN squad.  None of us expected the TITANS to be 3-1 at this stage.  IWU will have a lot coming back for next year, including Bauer and Alexander, so I have high hopes for the rest of this season as well as next.  The D has truly been superb so far.  D keeps you in games. 

Enjoy the weekend, all.

IWU'70

AndOne

gryfalia,

Do you and your better half have some type of wager on the game? Dinner at her or your fav place?

Last weekend was NOT football weather. I would go so far as to say it was, or at least bordered on, being unhealthy/dangerous for players and even fans. As Greg Sager pointed out, with temps on the field of 💯 degrees or more, the CCIW rule requiring a water/rest break halfway through each quarter came into play at the two afternoon games.
For several years I've voiced the opinion that all games before Oct should be 7:00 starts based on the distinct possibility of such weather alone. But (what new) nobody listens to me. Even if the temp isn't unbearable, it's not a lot of fun for fans to sit in west facing stands and squint into the sun all game long. And even at 70-80 degrees, the comfort level isn't that high after getting baked for 3 hours.
Just seems something could/should be done for both player and fan safety and comfort. 🤔

Gregory Sager

It wasn't pleasant sitting in Wesleyan's cinderblock press box on Saturday evening, either, even after the sun started going down. They opened the press box windows, which helped very little and in some ways actually made it worse, because: a) the IWU band sits right below the broadcasting side of the press box, and they're crazy loud, so the open windows made it difficult both for myself and for the two guys who do IWU's radio broadcast to shout over them; and b) it let in the insects -- although it wasn't as bad as it was the last time that I called a game from Tucci Stadium three years ago, when I counted 28 flies that I swatted inside the press box.

When it's that uncomfortable during an evening game, you can only imagine what it's like on the field during an afternoon game. I consider myself lucky that I spent a big chunk of the afternoon riding down I-55 in an air-conditioned bus.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

gryfalia

Quote from: AndOne on September 26, 2017, 12:48:08 PM
gryfalia,

Do you and your better half have some type of wager on the game? Dinner at her or your fav place?

Honestly, it's basically a bragging rights wager.  You know the old 'and we crushed you guys last year' (regardless of the score differential).  It's basically a fun date for us, as back when we were in college she didn't care much about sports and, honestly, at the time Wheaton was more of a Soccer school.

Not that we knew each other then, but.. 

But here in Normal when you hear about sports it's either ISU or IWU, and usually Football, so it's easiest for us to go to those games.

emma17

Quote from: iwu70 on September 26, 2017, 12:40:38 PM
Yes, wish I could be at WC this weekend to cheer on my TITANS.  Have other commitments here in B/N.  Should be a great atmosphere and game.  Go TITANS!

Surely NCC and WC have now proven they are tougher opponents than WI-WW, though our first-game win was a definitive one for gaining confidence, over-achieving for this TITAN squad.  None of us expected the TITANS to be 3-1 at this stage.  IWU will have a lot coming back for next year, including Bauer and Alexander, so I have high hopes for the rest of this season as well as next.  The D has truly been superb so far.  D keeps you in games. 

Enjoy the weekend, all.

IWU'70

I object and take offense...just for old times' sake.

Gregory Sager

Saturday's games:
Augustana @ Elmhurst, 1 pm
Carroll @ Carthage, 1 pm
Illinois Wesleyan @ Wheaton, 1 pm
Millikin @ North Park, 1 pm
North Central @ Washington (MO), 1 pm

Massey sez:
Elmhurst 28, Augustana 24 (EC 61%, AC 39%)
Carthage 35, Carroll 7 (CC 98%,CU 2%)
Wheaton 28, Illinois Wesleyan 12 (WC 85%, IWU 15%)
Millikin 24, North Park 21 (MU 54%, NPU 46%)
North Central 35, Washington (MO) 20 (NCC 85%, WUSTL 15%)

This is the first-ever appearance of the new configuration of the league that will take over next season when Wash U joins the CCIW as an associate member for football.

iwu70

emma17, I'm sure you'll get over it.  :) 

IWU'70