UAA 2016

Started by blooter442, May 13, 2016, 03:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Mr.Right did well to start a UAA thread last year, which IMHO was needed given that the league has some high-powered teams that are often in Top 25 discussions, and I figured I would start things off this year with a look at each team.

Brandeis: The Judges won their first outright UAA crown last year, clinching the AQ to NCAAs where they made it to the Sweet 16 before losing to Trinity (TX). Brandeis loses CB Conor Lanahan, who was a two-time NSCAA and D3socccer.com All-American selection, and 2014 D3soccer.com DPOY, as well as LB Robbie Lynch and M Jake Picard. All of those players were 4-year regulars in the Judges XI, so both their individual and collective presence will be missed. That said, Brandeis brings back some good talent, including All-American M Josh Ocel, F Zach Vieira, and F Evan Jastremski. While the Judges didn't score a ton of goals, indeed winning 16 of their 18 games by one goal, they went 6-1 in the tough UAA, riding a very solid defense and only losing at home to WashU. If Brandeis can score more regularly and replace the huge hole by Lanahan, I think they'll have another good year.

Carnegie: Always in the conversation for who is contending for the UAA title, Carnegie will suffer some losses to graduation, including All-American William Webb, M Jordan Friedlander, B Greg Allen, M Stefan Dasbach, and GK Eric Bykowsky. That said, they do have some good young players like Zack Masciopinto, who was my pick for UAA Rookie of the Year last year, as well as M Tristan Lockwood, who was a 2nd Team All-UAA selection in midfield. Carnegie's first real test doesn't come until the last game of September, when they go to John Carroll, but by that point if they can build up some confidence I think they might have a head of steam that could continue into UAA play.

Case: Losing All-American Chris Cveko will be a big blow for the Spartans, as Cveko was the kind of player who could go between the lines with ease and create opportunities for himself as well as others. Case lost two heartbreakers in the last weekend of October, which was key in denting their chances of having a part of the UAA title. However, the Spartans have what I think is a very good non-conference schedule this year, including tests against DePauw, Ohio Northern, John Carroll, Lycoming, and Kenyon, so they'll be battle-tested by the time that UAA competition rolls around in October. Case loses quite a few starters, but brings back enough of a spine that I think they'll be competitive.

Chicago: I personally will peg Chicago as the UAA favorites this year. Jorge Bilbao was a 4-year starter and will be a big loss but they return a ton of very good talent. They are stacked. From Hill Bonin in goal to DJ Weis at CB to Max Lopez and Matthew Koh in midfield (who were both 1st Team All-UAA as freshmen) to Brenton Desai up top, they have excellent talent in every area of the pitch. Chicago started the season really strong last year, going 5-0, but then a thumping 4-0 home loss to Loras seemed to dent their confidence a bit, and they ended September 7-2-1. Having made it into the NCAA tourney as one of the last teams after coming back from 2-0 down to beat WashU 3-2 in 2OT, they dispatched Thomas More before falling to Kenyon on PKs in the 2nd Round, which I think illustrated their upside. This is an experienced, veteran squad with some good players, and I think they could do some damage.

Emory: Aside from winning their first two UAA games against Chicago and WashU, Emory never really got going last year. Worse yet, they lose a good amount to graduation, including All-American Matt Sherr and GK Abe Hannigan, among others. That said, regardless of their form, Emory is a tough out, especially on their home field, and I imagine this year will be the same for their UAA opponents. Win the majority of their games before the UAA schedule starts, have a decent conference season, and I think they might even be able to land an NCAA bid.

NYU: Since winning the conference crown back in 2010, NYU has blown hot and cold. They've pulled out the occasional big result, such as beating a highly-ranked Emory squad at home in 2014, but there have also been some mediocre results, and they only won 1 conference game last year. Despite this, I think GK Lucas Doucette, who was an Honorable Mention All-UAA selection last year, will keep NYU in a lot of games this year, and if the Violets can put together a good non-conference campaign and spring an upset or two in-conference then they could well be in the conversation for an NCAA bid.

Rochester: I have no idea what happened to Rochester last year. What is arguably the toughest team to play against in the UAA — athletic, skilled, and spirited — was virtually anemic offensively and not much better defensively. They weren't even in the conversation for an NCAA bid, a conversation that they were always part of in years prior. I've opined that losing Alex Swanger really hurt them, and I ultimately think that was part of the issue. Worse yet, Rochester loses 3 of their 4 starting defenders, meaning that Apple will have to integrate new players into the system quickly. Despite their poor season last year, the Yellow Jackets bring back some good talent in M Ben Swanger and F Jeff Greblick, and are always well-coached and well-conditioned, so I think they'll rebound this year.

WashU: But for a home loss to Carnegie, WashU could well have been in the conversation for the UAA crown. However, the Bears still put together a good 12-4-4 season, and even managed to host the first two rounds of NCAAs, losing to DePauw on PKs. Jack West will be a big loss for WashU, but GK Daniel Geanon, RB Kevin Goon, and F Ryan Sproule all return, giving the Bears a solid foundation to build upon. As it stands, I don't think they're necessarily stacked enough to topple Chicago, but I have been wrong before. Regardless, I believe WashU will be competitive as always this year, and perhaps even end up past the 2nd Round of NCAAs depending on how the chips fall.

Central Region Follower

Great breakdown Blooter.  For Wash U, Jack West is returning (attending graduate school using his 4th year of eligibility)

blooter442

Quote from: Central Region Follower on May 18, 2016, 02:47:18 PM
For Wash U, Jack West is returning (attending graduate school using his 4th year of eligibility)

Wow, that is huge for WashU then. I would have imagined that he would be the biggest void to fill, as he seems to play really well between the midfield and the forwards, an X factor of sorts, much akin to Mike Soboff of Brandeis and Alex Swanger of Rochester. With Sproule up top and West in behind, WashU could have one of the most dangerous No. 10/No. 9 combinations in the UAA.

Mr.Right

U of Rochester has a VERY demanding schedule this season....Possibly a .620 SOS and an off the charts OWP. Could be one of those years that UR goes 8-4-4 and get a Pool C. When all is said and done, I woulf lay money down right now that UR has the best SOS in the country by November.

I only saw UR twice last year and was disappointed in their play.hey will win the

I saw U Chicago last year 4 times and was very impressed and someone has mentioned they have a top recruiting class coming in. If all this comes together they could win the UAA ahead of a talented but young Brandeis side.

Mr.Right

Watching about 10 minutes of the Chicago v Dominican match. Chicago trying to knock the ball around a bit and like we all think they should be contenders for the UAA title. They are up 2-0 with a missed breakaway for 2-0 but look in total control from what I have seen. Dominican is absolutely just whacking everything in sight. Chicago looks to have some good speed and skill with a player or 2 that get stuck in in the middle of the park. Always a good combination.

Mr.Right

I was only able to catch Brandeis v Haverford on video. It was a bit choppy but that is to be expected 1st week-end. However, both teams had some great chances to get some early goals. Bloots was right Ref let a lot go but I have seen worse. Brandeis tried to play on the carpet like usual but Haverford pressed well and their new CB needs to calm down a bit as he was whacking a bit 1st half. Great game otherwise, high intensity but my biggest issue with Haverford is the corners. i MEAN THEY MUST OF HAD 15 CORNERS RUNNING THE SAME CRAP ON EACH ONE. Put 6-7 guys inside the 6 and DO NOTHING. NO little runs, no picks, just trying to block the GK and get a bounce. AFter about the 7th one Brandeis dealt with these with relative ease, at worse just giving them another wasted corner. GK did well to get his hands to these and defenders their heads. I mean if I am Haverford SWITCH IT UP....Have runners from the top of the box. You can still stick 2-3 guys inside the 6. I actually saw on almost everyone a guy sneaking to the top of the box WIDE OPEN and they never used him. good low ball on the carpet and a one timer. Anyway, Terrible lack of creativity and that falls RIGHT on the COACH.

Central Region Follower

Looks like Wash U's game against Westminster (MO) is cancelled as the refs were scheduled for the wrong day. Hopefully the game will be rescheduled  since that is an important in-region away game for WashU against a talented Westminster side.

blooter442

While Brandeis may have taken the majority of UAA headlines thus far, Chicago is looking good. 3-0 and haven't given up a goal yet - I think Bonin could well be the best goalkeeper in the UAA, although Woodhouse of Brandeis is certainly in that discussion as well. Last year, despite being ranked a bit higher than I would have chosen, I thought Chicago would perhaps win the UAA as they started the season very well, but then the Maroons got hammered at home by Loras 4-0 and that seemed to spoil their aura of invincibility. This year, Desai and Weis are both seniors, Koh and Lopez are a year older and more experienced, and I'm sure I'm missing numerous others. Chicago's games against Wheaton, Wartburg, and Carthage will be good indicators of what they're made of prior to conference play, and if they can avoid a Loras-like result I think they'll be in a good vein of form going into the UAA games.

blooter442

Weekend Picks

Emory 0-1 Chicago - Chicago has absolutely rolled so far this season, but its first UAA game will prove a difficult test, as playing at Emory is notoriously difficult in my observations. Even so, I still fancy Chicago to get things done on the road, keep its perfect season going, and augment its legitimacy as a potential Final 4 team (which would be a first for the UAA since 2006).

Rochester 1-2 WashU - Despite their 7-0-1 record, I opined earlier this week that Rochester hasn't seriously been tested this year. WashU, meanwhile, has a pair of wins over Wheaton (IL) and Luther, and even with Wheaton's issues this season that is still a very solid pair of victories. And with Jack West and Ike Witte back and Ryan Sproule a year more experienced after a promising campaign, I think WashU has too much for a gritty Rochester side which, while solid, doesn't have an X factor in the way West is for WashU.

Carnegie 1-0 Brandeis - In addition to some scoring troubles, Brandeis is having major problems defensively, going 0-3-1 in its last 4. The Judges looked to be home and cruising to their first win in 3 weeks on Tuesday night, up 4-1 against Wheaton, only for Wheaton to score 3 in 5 minutes to get back to 4-4 and win 5-4 in 2OT. This one will be tighter, but Carnegie will prove too much.

Case 2-0 NYU - Two teams sitting at the .500 mark. And although I do really like NYU goalkeeper Doucette, Case will be buoyed by its OT win over Kenyon and will keep things rolling this weekend on its home field.

Letthekidsplay59

My predictions for the first weekend:

Emory 0-2 Chicago
Rochester 1-1 Wash
Carnegie 1-0 Brandeis
Case 2-1 NYU

Mr.Right

I say Emory and Wash U are a bit overrated right now. Just a Hunch..My picks...

Emory v Chicago-------1-1 Draw
Rochester v Wash U----1-0 Rochester
Carnegie v Brandeis-----2-1 Brandeis
Case v NYU---------------3-0 CWU

Scoring Machine

Mr. Right, I'm intrigued on why you would say that Emory is overrated but then pick them to tie Chicago which would certainly be a massive upset.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

MAF Predictions

Emory 0-2 Chicago
Rochester 2-1 Wash
Carnegie 0-0 Brandeis
Case 1-0 NYU

Mr.Right

Quote from: Scoring Machine on September 30, 2016, 01:48:52 PM
Mr. Right, I'm intrigued on why you would say that Emory is overrated but then pick them to tie Chicago which would certainly be a massive upset.

Just a hunch....I do think Wash U and Emory and maybe even UR are a bit overrated. Meaning they have inflated records as of now. I could be wrong. My 1-1 prediction for the Emory v Chicago match is also a hunch but I have always admired the way Emory and Travis try to play on the carpet as much as possible. Emory plays much better historically at home and while I have not seen them play this year I think the UAA might give Chicago some trouble on the road this season.

pelinho5

Emory 3 Chicago 4
Rochester 2 WashU 0
Carnegie 2 Brandeis 2
Case 0 NYU 0

Emory/Chicago: predicting a turning of the tables from the 2012 classic that went the other way

Rochester/Wash: WUSTL has been unconvincing. Rochester always gritty

Carnegie/Brandeis: is it pronounced Carnegie or Carnegie? Who cares. Brandeis is just as good.

Case/NYU: NYU may surprise