FB: Midwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Hawks

Press release for the season, it is long so you SNC guys might want to read it in pieces:

RIPON, WIS. -- St. Norbert (9-2, 9-0 MWC) was picked to finish first in the 2005 Midwest Conference Football Preseason Coaches Poll.  The poll was voted on by head coaches at participating member institutions. The Green Knights, who received eight of the nine possible first-place votes, have won 18 consecutive MWC games and 43 of their last 45 conference contests. Monmouth College (9-1, 8-1) grabbed the two remaining first place votes to finish  in second. Lake Forest (8-2, 7-2) was tabbed to finish third, while Carroll (3-7, 3-6) was picked fourth. Illinois College (6-4, 5-4) and Ripon (5-5, 4-5) tied in the #5 slot. The final four spots were rounded out by Grinnell (6-4, 5-4), Beloit (3-7, 2-7), Knox (1-9, 1-8) and Lawrence (2-8, 1-8).

Jim Purtill's group has held at least a share of the past six MWC titles and has appeared in the postseason a league-best six times. Purtill welcomes back All-American candidate Casey Meehan (1,707 all-purpose yd, 25 ap td) at running back, while first team All-MWC wide receiver T.J. George (52 rec, 856 yd) also returns. The defense losses five All-MWC players to graduation, but Tony Mendina (69 tckl, 3 int) and Anthony Triner (2 int) are back to anchor the defensive backfield.

2004 MWC Coach of the Year Steve Bell and the Monmouth College Fighting Scot were the only 9-1 team in the nation who did not qualify for the playoffs last season. The Scots have reason to believe their luck will change this season, as the quarterback-wideout tandem of Mitch Tanney (1,952 yd, 24 td) and Evan Haffner (36 rec, 911 yd, 11 td) lead a potent offense. Ryan Bast (10 career int) has shutdown potential at corner, but the three others starters are gone from one of the nation's top pass defenses a year ago.

Brent Becker takes over as head coach at Lake Forest after serving as defensive coordinator for the Foresters the past two seasons. Becker's defensive units, which have produced the past two MWC Defensive Players of the Year, have ranked among the best in the country. Linebacker Louis Bertuca leads the defense this season after registering 63 tackles and 4.5 sacks in 2004. The offense should be solid as well, as the Foresters return all-conference quarterback Matt Mahaney (2,436 yd, 13 td).

Carroll could be the darkhorse in this season's MWC race. Jeff Voris' team's 3-7 record from a year ago is deceiving, as the Pioneers lost by one point to MWC champion St. Norbert and also fell to Lake Forest and Grinnell by a combined seven points. Wide receiver Adam Fletcher (75 rec, 975 yd, 13 td) and linebacker Chris Albanese (83 tckl, 3 sck) will lead their respective sides of the ball.

Illinois College and head coach Aaron Keen fell four points shy of a seven-win season last year and return with much of their team still intact. Pete Jennings is back after throwing for 2,200 yards and 20 touchdowns last season. He will be joined in the backfield by 1,000 yard rusher Jarid Crain (1,230 yd, 11 td).

After winning 11 games over the past two seasons, Ron Ernst looks to return the Red Hawks to the form they showed in 2001, when the team finished 8-2 and won a share of the MWC crown. Ryan Morgan, Tim Peters and Zach Davidson were All-MWC selections in 2005 and return to lead the defense. Bob Faulds threw for 1,431 yards and 14 touchdowns in his sophomore season.

Grinnell head coach Greg Wallace will depend heavily on standout quarterback Sean Pfalzer this season. Pfalzer ranked 18th in the nation in total offense a season ago, averaging 269.9 yards per game. He also tossed 17 touchdowns and ran for two scores as well. The Pioneers will need to improve on a rush defense that ranked second to last in the conference in 2004.

Ed DeGeorge enters his 29th and final season at Beloit. Four-year starter Nate Skelton, who has thrown for over 3,700 yards in his career, returns to lead Beloit's wing-t offense. The Buc's offense finished 22nd in the nation in rushing offense (241.5 ypg) last season and leading rusher Lee Rankinen (1,196 yd) is also back. The Buc's defense will depend on linebacker Adam Neiffer (122 tackles).

Andy Gibbons' young Knox squad lost by 13 points or less four times last season. The team showed improvement late in the season, defeating Illinois College 13-10 for its lone win of the season. The Prairie Fire have reason for optimism, as they return 18 starters and 44 letterwinners this year. Running back Kevin Megli is the Prairie Fires top scoring threat (903 yd, 5 td).

New Lawrence head coach Chris Howard welcomes back three All-MWC performers in his first season guiding the Vikings. Nick Korn is the offense's best weapon after catching 31 balls for 433 yards and six scores last year. Howard will look to improve his squad on the lines, after Lawrence finished last in the conference in rushing and defending the run in 200

xsnd47

I only had to read the top.  That is where they usually put all the information about the winning team.  You all have fun fighting over second again.

(  |  )       :-*'Malley
"Coach, this is Jake Povlich. I'm sorry I missed my appointment to drop off my equipment, but I will come in after my 12 o'clock class..... crap it's 1:30."

Pat Coleman

I'm putting them back as people ask about them and as I have time. It's not like there are five or 10 people affected -- there are about a hundred. Please be patient.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

xsnd47

Pat, I would like to smite O'Malley some more, but that option is no longer given.  Can you please put the smite button back.

Thank you,

Housh

;D      >:('Malley
It's funny because your name is O'Malley, like Obermueller, but with an apostrophe and a Malley at the end.
"Coach, this is Jake Povlich. I'm sorry I missed my appointment to drop off my equipment, but I will come in after my 12 o'clock class..... crap it's 1:30."

ticker

can't help but chuckle at every one of your posts 47...I'm also a big fan of greg's little picture.

has camp started yet? anyone heard anything useful?

Pat, I'm aware that you are flooded with requests...just thought I'd whine a little bit to see if I could get it fixed quicker like a certain pc challenged IT consultant I know...I'm just posting to get my numbers up now.

Pat Coleman

If you've smited/applauded the person recently you can't do so again until a certain amount of time has passed.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sncfb74

For those of you not familar with our favrite fat freind jason housch I have decided to submit a picture of him for all you to see.  Thanks to pat with this new posting forum you can all see what our beautiful little chubby man looks like!  So on behalf of everybody I would like to say thank you pat!

Dont tell me you dont think he is pretty!
[/size]

Peace

;D'Malley
"If I had a fifth string left gaurd, you MIGHT be it!"

xsnd47

Maverick

Quote from: Old Fighting Scot on August 18, 2005, 02:27:50 PM
so Maverick, how do we look?

Old Fighting Scot,
Watched some of the scrimmage this afternoon and the things that I saw during the sessions looked pretty good.  You enjoying being back out on the west coast again these days?
Maverick
Check out the website at: http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/monmouthfb
Go Scots!

PapaSmurf

The couch potato says the SND is looking good.  How good remains to be seen.

ticker

that must be a recent pic b/c he was much bigger than that last time I saw him....

xsnd47

i've been putting on my winter layer.  i like to start that in august.

IYOT!!!

meachscribe

House, I'm willing to bet you have a permanent mangina.
On a side note, everyone's favorite bed wetter, Matt Cullen, is reportedly giving up his pro wrestling career after getting squashed by a certain Meach in an Appleton apartment complex.

Old Fighting Scot

[tr]Glad to hear the scotties look ok.  i am looking forward to trying to make a vip trip to a game either at Lake Forest or during homecoming.  Ill need to find my M Club card so that i can get in free...[/tr]
I could be wrong, but I doubt it....

CB

zpeck

I heard that there are two Marsh brothers over at Beloit that are really tearing things up. The middle linebacker is a junior and they are excpecting big things and the younger one looks to be starting on the d-line. It looks like these kids are really going to tear the conference up.