FB: Region 4 fan poll

Started by DPU3619, September 09, 2011, 09:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on September 25, 2014, 05:39:55 PM
Quote from: USee on September 25, 2014, 05:22:22 PM
It's not too much of a stretch to think Franklin would win over IWU in a rematch.

That's a fair statement, and if there is eventually some more data that supports Franklin being equal to or better than IWU (like, if Franklin kills the rest of their schedule while IWU gets hammered by NCC and Wheaton, and Simpson loses a few games), maybe I'll buy it.  But two weeks after IWU beat Franklin, it's hard for me to swallow.

Sorry.

USee

Quote from: BashDad on September 25, 2014, 08:27:21 PM
So much for my attempt at deflection!

I never let a good head to head result get in the way of a subjective ranking! I also think Mt St Joes is going to beat Franklin later this year but have Franklin ahead of them right now too. It's not too much of a stretch to think Franklin would win over IWU in a rematch. Nor is is too much of a stretch to say MtSJ will beat Franklin this year. Its a quagmire at the bottom.

I have em right where I want em!

Man. Polls are so stupid.

As are some comments

DPU3619

It's not too much of a stretch to think Franklin would win over IWU in a rematch.

I would counter this argument by saying it's less of a stretch that IWU would win a second time because they've already proven that they can.

USee

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on September 26, 2014, 03:37:23 AM

I would counter this argument by saying it's less of a stretch that IWU would win a second time because they've already proven that they can.

So what? They beat a top 50 team at home in the opener. They also lost to an unranked Simpson on the road.  I ranked Franklin ahead of IWU by 1 spot at #10. I am ok with it.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: USee on September 26, 2014, 09:32:39 AM
So what? They beat a top 50 team at home in the opener. They also lost to an unranked Simpson on the road.  I ranked Franklin ahead of IWU by 1 spot at #10. I am ok with it.

You know, this argument would make sense if that "top 50 team" they beat in the opener wasn't the very same team you're ranking ahead of them.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

jknezek

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on September 26, 2014, 09:53:34 AM

You know, this argument would make sense if that "top 50 team" they beat in the opener wasn't the very same team you're ranking ahead of them.

Ba-dum, dum...

USee

I don't think its a big deal.

jknezek

Quote from: USee on September 26, 2014, 10:11:59 AM

I don't think its a big deal.

Nothing about a "fan poll" is a big deal. It's just very entertaining.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: smedindy on September 25, 2014, 01:24:54 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 25, 2014, 11:52:12 AM
4 OAC teams in the top 10.  Take a picture because that'll end after this weekend when Berg and ONU play!

Depends on a lot of things. If the ONU / Berg game is close, and no one else really impresses, then I could vote both of them again.

Great point.  I didn't take into account that the loser may still warrant a spot depending on the outcome of the other games.  The way the bottom of the poll has been going it's certainly a strong possibility that the loser of a close ONU/Berg game would still be a top 10 team.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 26, 2014, 10:33:11 AM
Quote from: smedindy on September 25, 2014, 01:24:54 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 25, 2014, 11:52:12 AM
4 OAC teams in the top 10.  Take a picture because that'll end after this weekend when Berg and ONU play!

Depends on a lot of things. If the ONU / Berg game is close, and no one else really impresses, then I could vote both of them again.

Great point.  I didn't take into account that the loser may still warrant a spot depending on the outcome of the other games.  The way the bottom of the poll has been going it's certainly a strong possibility that the loser of a close ONU/Berg game would still be a top 10 team.

Or that neither of them are. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Dr. Acula

I'm not following.  "Neither of them are" meaning that neither the winner nor loser of the Berg/ONU game would be in the top 10?   

smedindy

I would counter that Simpson' not being ranked shouldn't be a point against IWU. The IIAC ain't a bunch of sissy-marys.

USee

Quote from: smedindy on September 26, 2014, 11:51:45 AM
I would counter that Simpson' not being ranked shouldn't be a point against IWU. The IIAC ain't a bunch of sissy-marys.

No, but losing to Simpson is clearly a point against IWU. That's why they dropped out of my top 10

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: USee on September 26, 2014, 12:02:58 PM
No, but losing to Simpson is clearly a point against IWU. That's why they dropped out of my top 10

Losing to IWU probably ought to be a point against Franklin, then.

If only there was a way to decide which team would win a hypothetical game between these two...oh wait, look!

http://d3football.com/seasons/2014/boxscores/20140906_wzrl.xml
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

USee

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on September 26, 2014, 12:05:28 PM
Quote from: USee on September 26, 2014, 12:02:58 PM

Losing to IWU probably ought to be a point against Franklin, then.

If only there was a way to decide which team would win a hypothetical game between these two...oh wait, look!

http://d3football.com/seasons/2014/boxscores/20140906_wzrl.xml

Is there any new information you have to offer? I get that you have your pants in a bunch because I ranked IWU ahead of Franklin despite the HTH. Continuing to state that doesn't help your argument and won't change my mind. As I said, I am quite comfortable with my methodology in ranking the #8-12th teams in the North. Sorry if that bothers you.