MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Boy!,,,the posters on this board are on their game with inside info.  The UVM website has not listed a coaching vacancy.  I was aware that the Vermont coach was a possible candidate for the recent coaching position at GWU in D.C.  The sports news was quiet until about a half-hour ago......about 4:25 PM......when an AP story came up about the UVM coach was close to being hired at GWU.  I'm still in shock/grief about Gary Williams, the coach at UMD retiring!  His retirement  stories covered three pages in the Wash. Post sports section today and even on the front page.
This board's posters have two conference coaches seeking a job that is not officially vacant!
So who is getting the Colby job?

Pat Coleman

Yeah, AP is saying close but the Washington local media was saying yesterday that it's a done deal.

The guy leaving Vermont is a former D-III coach but I don't know if they would have hired him if he hadn't spent a year as an assistant at Maryland in between. (Their loss. I mean, Mike Lonergan won a national title in D-III.)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Bucket

I would think that both Jeff Brown and Mike Maker will be candidates.

Jeff is a UVM alum and was a terrific player there, was an assistant under Tom Brennan and has taken a Middlebury program and built it into a DIII national contender.

Mike has extensive DI assistant coaching experience (Dartmouth, Samford, West Virginia, Creighton), and has, of course, taken Williams to two DIII Final Fours in three years.

Both are loved by their players and widely admired by their peers.

As many know, I have personal relationships with both coaches; one I have been close friends with for 15 years. For that reason, this is the last I will post on this subject. I have no idea if either would be interested in the position, and if interested, that doesn't mean they would ultimately leave their current jobs if an offer was proffered. And with that, any subsequent conversations I have with either Mike or Jeff will remain personal.

I can say this--I think either would be terrific at UVM. I would be happy for either if they got the job. But as a Middlebury guy, I would be so sad to see Jeff go

jhawk

nescac1

I'd like to HOPE Brown would be a candidate over Maker thanks to his strong Vermont / UVM ties :).  Either would make a great D-1 coach.  At a place like UVM, you need to be able to beat teams with a bit more talent, and both have systems (for Brown, defense/toughness/rebounding, for Maker, motion/sharing the ball/hitting threes) that enable that.  I hope both stick around though as NESCAC has a chance to have a second straight special year.

It wouldn't shock me, in fact, to see Williams, Midd, Amherst to be three of the top five, nationally, to start next year despite each losing a star player.  Other than Virginia Wesleyan, who I think should be preseason number one, the other top teams from this year suffer huge losses ... St. Thomas loses many of its key guys including its superstar all American, as do Wooster and Whitworth,  and I heard Wisconsin Stevens Point had most of its best guys leave the program or graduate.  A lot of other top-tier teams were dominated by seniors, like Randolph Macon, EMU, Illinois Wesleyan, etc.  After VWU who should dominate in the South, the NESCAC teams returns as much talent as anyone else, along with probably Augustana.  MIT could also be a dark horse nationally, get several key guys back who missed the year with injuries, including their star center.  

I don't, however, think that after losing Whittington, Locke, and Meehan respectively, the big three will combine to go undefeated vs. the rest of NESCAC again.  Bowdoin should be really tough next year, especially if 1-2 of the three highly regarded frosh they bring in can play early, and Wesleyan had terrible luck with injuries this year but they do have a lot of talent coming back, and they nearly toppled each of the big three, just had trouble closing out games.  Trinity could spring an upset two depending on how many of their frosh can contribute early.  And Hamilton has talent, although the coaching change might set them back.  Even Tufts seems to be on the way back to being a dangerous opponent.  

JustAFan

News of additional commitments for Colby, Trinity and Amherst (previously reported) at: 

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/1960/Commitment-Catch-Up.php

Trinity appears to be bringing in a very large class like Wesleyan did a couple of years ago when it brought in its new coach.

amh63

The coaching changes continue to ripple in the Wash. DC area.  The three Div.1 vacancies have been filled at GMU, GWU and UMD.  Today, it was reported that there is now a vacancy at the Naval Academy.  It is a school that competes in BB in the Patriot League....a little stronger than the Ivy League.  Any interest from NESCAC coaches?  Other than coaching in Div. 1. the pay is not much better....I believe it is limited due to being a "government Job"......but I maybe mistaken on this point.  I now believe the height limitation on players at the Academy is no longer enforced....as it was during the Dave Robinson days.  It used to be at 6'5" in my days.  Dave Robinson grew over 5 inches while he was playing  for Navy.  More trivial...I remember Doctor J grew about 3 inches during his days playing for UMass at Amherst.
It must be happy news for Pat C. to see a Catholic U. grad. return home and coaching at GWU.  Pat...do you remember Coach L. at CU of America during your days there?

gordonmann

By the way, the Navy women's basketball coach is former Bowdoin coach Stefanie Pemper.

Bucket

Quote from: amh63 on May 10, 2011, 09:46:45 AM
The coaching changes continue to ripple in the Wash. DC area.  The three Div.1 vacancies have been filled at GMU, GWU and UMD.  Today, it was reported that there is now a vacancy at the Naval Academy.  It is a school that competes in BB in the Patriot League....a little stronger than the Ivy League.  Any interest from NESCAC coaches?  Other than coaching in Div. 1. the pay is not much better....I believe it is limited due to being a "government Job"......but I maybe mistaken on this point.  I now believe the height limitation on players at the Academy is no longer enforced....as it was during the Dave Robinson days.  It used to be at 6'5" in my days.  Dave Robinson grew over 5 inches while he was playing  for Navy.  More trivial...I remember Doctor J grew about 3 inches during his days playing for UMass at Amherst.
It must be happy news for Pat C. to see a Catholic U. grad. return home and coaching at GWU.  Do you remember Coach L. at CU of America during your days there?

The pay is actually a lot better, and it's not limited by being a government job. My guess is that the Academy will take a long hard look at successful NESCAC coaches, especially ones with a combination of DI assistant experience and head coaching experience in DIII. The coach who just left came from DIII Merchant Marine Acad., with a prior administrative posting at Villanova.

OchoLoko41

Fellas, as a long time follower of the D3 boards I have to disagree with the belief that this upcoming season will be simply another finish somewhere in the 6-8 region for the Wesleyan Cardinals.  I believe that next year they make that next step everyone has expected from that tremendous class of 2013 (Brown, Callaghan, St. Jean, Beresford, Fogel, Hogan, and Callori) and become a team that no one wants to play.  Both Glen Thomas and Mike Callaghan are capable of throwing up a double-double every night and with Mendell playing as only seniors do in the NESCAC I wouldn't be surprised if the team became much more balanced on the offensive end, and therefore that much more dangerous.

amh63

Welcome aboard Wes. fan!  It is nice to have conversations with new and knowledgeable conference supporters.  Hopefully your assertions on the Wes. players in the class of '13 will play out for you next season.  What observations/factors/etc. do you see in the players that support your views?  Wes. has talented players...some key injuries hindered the team's progress/play/etc. in the past....however, in short, why do you expect the team to have a "coming out" year?

OchoLoko41

I see the upcoming Wesleyan team to be a far more balanced team than those we've seen in the past.  Previously the way to beat Wesleyan was to simply stop Brown, he carried far to much of the offensive load.  By the end of last season however Callaghan was turning into a serious threat on both the low block and in the midrange/driving game.  We all know that Beresford and Mendell are capable scorers, and with Thomas hopefully developing some form of post game teams won't be allowed to simply key in on one or two guys.

On the defensive side of the ball, I don't think the absence of Thomas can be emphasized enough.  Around the time of his injury he was becoming a very capable rebounder, along with fact that Wesleyan missed having that big of a body to bang with opposing bigs.  Add a healthy Thomas to the return of St. Jean (in my mind an eventual Defensive Player of the Year candidate) and the Cardinals should posses more of a lock down mentality this upcoming year

While Wesleyan's success, like that of all teams in the NESCAC is dependent on the health of its players, this balanced scoring attack and improved defense are the keys to Wesleyan being the breakout team of next years NESCAC season

Pat Coleman

Quote from: amh63 on May 10, 2011, 09:46:45 AM
It must be happy news for Pat C. to see a Catholic U. grad. return home and coaching at GWU.  Pat...do you remember Coach L. at CU of America during your days there?

Yes, Lonergan was hired as head coach at the age of 26 when I was a student.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Bucket

Midd fans can breathe easier: Jeff Brown announces that he's not interested in UVM job.

http://addisonindependent.com/201105ball-brown-staying-middlebury

haterinthehouse

is Maker involved with Vermont