WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Attended the Amherst women's Lax game at Gettysburg on Sat.  Got to chat with Hannah Fox's mother...as she noticed I was wearing a 2013 Men's Nat. title jacket.  The other parents behind was aware of Hannah's WBB achievements. Hannah is also an impact Lax player.  I was informed that Amherst May have 5 players arriving in the Fall...vice my 4 players " rumor" posted awhile back.  Amherst brought in only one player...in the class of '21.
I watched the Commencement Online on Sunday.  The three seniors on the WBB team have graduated. Emma M. will not be playing next season.  She will be studying abroad in the Fall and be an student assistant coach when the season starts.  Intriguing to hear about 5 players coming in the Fall...would not be surprised the additional player is a transfer...maybe a front court player :).  Coach G has a history of bringing in impact players from higher division.  Recall Renner'17's older sister was such a transfer from Holy Cross.

jayhawk

I tend to follow men's basketball but i grew up on Long Island and know of Gabrielle Zaffiro , Amherst Commit
She is the second all time girls basketball score in Long Island and as a junior scored 51 points in a game
Another Amherst commit is Jade Duval from Cleveland who has an ESPN rating of 88 which is tkpical of a player recrutied from scholls such as Big Ten - I believe Minnesota maiy have offered her. \

back to my day job

ronk

Quote from: jayhawk on June 02, 2018, 09:25:56 AM
I tend to follow men's basketball but i grew up on Long Island and know of Gabrielle Zaffiro , Amherst Commit
She is the second all time girls basketball score in Long Island and as a junior scored 51 points in a game
Another Amherst commit is Jade Duval from Cleveland who has an ESPN rating of 88 which is tkpical of a player recrutied from scholls such as Big Ten - I believe Minnesota maiy have offered her. \

back to my day job

This could become your new day job - college recruiting analyst.    ;)

amh63

Seems the Amherst's WBB team will be honored at the NBC's pre season game between the Patriots and the Eagles...tonight?  The team was honored last season at a Red Sox's last season when it won a National Title.  The Red Sox's GM is an Amherst alum.  Do not know the connection here.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Welcome to the 2018-19 Division III basketball season!

The season also gets tipped off a week earlier than normal as the new start is now November 8. With an earlier start date comes an earlier start (and more total shows) for Hoopsville as well.

On the season debut of the 16th season of Hoopsville, Dave McHugh will chat with the two preseason top picks, and defending champions, along with a coach who made a big move in the offseason.

Dave will also talk about a lot of the hot topics entering the season including not only normal coaching changes, but also last minute changes including in the Top 10 of women's basketball.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's debut will hit the air at 7:00 p.m. ET. You can watch the show here: http://bit.ly/2PHzL3o

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or share them on social media.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Dale Wellman, No. 1 Nebraska Wesleyan men's head coach
- Pat Juckem, WashU men's head coach
- G.P. Gromacki, No. 1 Amherst women's head coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

amh63

Amherst's roster is up on their website.  Big FY class wrt numbers.  Not listed was jr. player...Nardella..that was at Amherst's Homecoming football game....where the WBB team received their Nat. Title rings.  New assist coach listed.  Also not listed was the MVP from the 2018 title win.  She had planned to be abroad for the first semester.  Was to be a student assistant on the team when she returned since she is not eligible this her senior year.  Oh well...questions wrt team.  Amherst's first game on Friday at home.

7express

Hey Amh, is Emma McCarthy the girl that is studying abroad and coming back as a graduate assistant coach because she is not on the roster for this year??

amh63

Yes, 7express.  Emma is still an undergrad and believe she will be on the bench as a student assistant. 
She transferred in from Fairfield Un. and Amherst lost an appeal with the powers to be...so this her senior year she will support her teammates in a different capacity.  Maybe she will be listed in the second semester.

amh63

Did not get to watch the Amherst game last night...a blowout of sorts.  Was out to dinner with friends.  Amherst won it's 67th game with strong contributions from its FY's.  Write up was brief and stats on-line indicate the outside and inside games continue to be fine.  Side note....the new sports info director from Tufts appear to be overwhelmed presently.  The stats were presented Twice!  Other write ups have been below par, imho.  The person needs some help...an assistant or two??  Lots of winter sports to cover and post season games, etc.
Seems the double stats appeared on writeups of other Nescac WBB games.  Must be a software cliche.
Sunday's game writeup has only a single stats presentation.

NE Jeffs Fan

So the pressure is off.  Amherst blows big lead...now the young team has an idea of what it takes to play with a bullseye on their back. If they win NESCAC or make a deep run in NCAA it will be one of GP's best coaching jobs.  Did you hear the exhale from StL and WashU as their streak is safe!

amh63

NE Jeff's Fan....yes there was some pressure on the team members.  Your reference to Wash U.
brought back some memories.  On the women bb side, the legendary coach built a great program in her time at WashU.  There was a strong JV team program, etc. that provided seasoned players, etc.
Recall the time Amherst challenged them in the post season only to lose in OT...on a missed foul shoot...thus continuing the 100 game streak.  Remember meeting the now retired Men's HC  in Salem, Va. after an Amherst win for the Title.  The MHC  went on to win two Nat. titles. 
Amherst's WHC seems to prefer small...11 player rosters.  One of Amherst's taller experienced players did not score a point in the game and did not seem to want to take a 3 point shot in the last few minutes of the game.  Could have used her rebounding too...as she was playing with 4 fouls. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NE Jeffs Fan on November 20, 2018, 09:31:20 PM
So the pressure is off.  Amherst blows big lead...now the young team has an idea of what it takes to play with a bullseye on their back. If they win NESCAC or make a deep run in NCAA it will be one of GP's best coaching jobs.  Did you hear the exhale from StL and WashU as their streak is safe!

Hmm... what streak is safe? You do realize Amherst already blitz WashU's streak prior to this run, right? The record is 122 - held by Amherst.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

7express

So....through 10 or so days and 3 or 4 games, how do we feel about the NESCAC so far??

Amherst blows a big 4th quarter home lead to Eastern, and than the Warriors proceed to get clubbed by 2 other conference teams, both of which are on down cycles: 20 @ Trinity, and then today to Williams by 15 (who at one point in the 4th had a 20 point lead.)  Eastern's only other game is a 13 point win over Roger Williams a team that made the NCAA tournament as a pool C last year.  With I believe the road games @ Tufts and @ Bowdoin this year I think it's going to be difficult for the Mammoths to win the league this year, but seeing Williams in action today they could be a challenge as well, especially if they are knocking down the 3 as effectively as they were today.  Still think Amherst will end up prevailing in both games, but really I wouldn't be shocked if they won the game @ Williams.

amh63

Interesting post 7express.   Watched the Warriors' lost at home to Williams.  Williams is a puzzle at times,IMO.  The guard that shot the lights out in the 2nd half was a starter last season but seems to have lost that role.  Have watched both Tufts and Bowdoin play to date....yes, in early season games against weaker teams than ECSU.  It must be noted that Amherst's Nat. Title wins against Tufts and Bowdoin were blowouts.  Yet during the season matchups in 2017 and 2018, wether it was at home or away, the games were close...and the Amherst wins were by a few points. 
It is early....yet, I do expect tight games against the likes of the Polarbears and the Jumbos.  However, I also expect two wins over the Ephs....it is simply based on talent and coaching.  Amherst will hit their threes and win the battle of the boards.  Just like I expect ECSU to beat Williams if they should meet again.  Chang will not get her three point shots away unchallenged and Warrior players will control the boards.

gordonmann

Congratulations to the new No. 1 team in all the land, Bowdoin.

This continues the NESCAC's streak of having the top ranked team for every week since Thomas More won the title in 2016.

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2018-19/week1