UAA 2016

Started by blooter442, May 13, 2016, 03:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Biggest win of the year so far for Brandeis - even counting the Haverford victory - as the Judges down Rochester 3-1. Much like last year, Brandeis scored first and Rochester tied it at 1-1, but Brandeis put the game away with two tallies, including an insurance goal in the last 10 minutes. A lot is uncertain, but it seems like the Judges are peaking at the right time.

PaulNewman

Big win for the Judges.  Woodhouse made couple of great saves and probably also got away with a grab down on the goal-line that should have been a PK.  Will be interesting to see what happens with Rochester, Wash U, CMU and Emory.

PaulNewman

I'm gonna guess Brandeis jumps to #2 in NE.

Rochester is 0-3-1 in last 4.  Probably out now and that may open door for SLU especially if Vassar can win the LL AQ.

stlawus

Quote from: NCAC New England on October 30, 2016, 03:44:16 PM
I'm gonna guess Brandeis jumps to #2 in NE.

Rochester is 0-3-1 in last 4.  Probably out now and that may open door for SLU especially if Vassar can win the LL AQ.

I can only hope, but not counting on it.  Still need Oneonta to beat Fredonia in the SUNYAC tourney.  Probly don't deserve to make it regardless after that horrible loss to Clarkson yesterday. 

Brandeis looked very good today.  They are hot at the right time.

blue_jays

UChicago put the UAA race to bed today, 2-0 at Carnegie Mellon. It will be interesting to see who gets conference player of the year. Lopez is the top player overall, but Desai really came through in conference play.

blooter442

Quote from: blue_jays on October 30, 2016, 04:35:57 PM
UChicago put the UAA race to bed today, 2-0 at Carnegie Mellon. It will be interesting to see who gets conference player of the year. Lopez is the top player overall, but Desai really came through in conference play.

Either would be deserving, and I would pick Adeosun for ROY.

Mr.Right

Big win for Brandeis. I doubt they jump to #2 in the 3rd Regional Rankings. I would guess #4 but I really believe they just punched a ticket for a Pool C. They might have the MOST regionally ranked Win when all is said and done. I was busy today as I wanted to catch the game but I had a feeling Brandeis would win as they are playing with some real confidence right now. They might even host a pod in the NCAA 1st round. Still, they do need Emory, UR, Wash U and Clark to stay ranked which I believe will all happen. UR will drop to #6 or #7 in the East with a slight chance of getting a Pool C but they are clearly on the bubble and on the outside looking in.

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on October 30, 2016, 05:15:29 PM
Still, they do need Emory, UR, Wash U and Clark to stay ranked which I believe will all happen.

You may well be...Right. ;) At first I had my doubts because Clark got trounced yesterday at Wheaton but looking at it Clark was #4 last week and is 14-4. And WashU and Emory both won today.

blooter442

Two UAA teams left in the last 16.

Chicago has a very good chance of being the first UAA school to advance to the Final 4, although Redlands will be no cakewalk and I think Benedictine or St. Thomas will put up a good fight despite their lack of notoriety. As I mentioned somewhere else, Chicago has been successfully building a solid team over the past few years, and I think they have arguably the best spine in the country from Bonin in goal all the way to Desai up top. The Maroons have only trailed once this season, against Brandeis on October 14th, but eventually came back to win 2-1 in double overtime in that game. That said, it will be interesting to see how Chicago responds if it goes behind this weekend: I think that a lack of experience in these situations this season may well be compensated for by the Maroons' talent. In addition to Bonin and Desai, Chicago has DJ Weis at CB, a very good defender, and Matthew Koh and Max Lopez were both All-UAA 1st Team selections as frosh and have only improved, and freshman Dayo Adeyosun is my pick for UAA Rookie of the Year. All in all, Chicago's mix of talent, speed, skill, and solidity is the best that I've seen in my time watching the UAA, although the Brandeis side of 2014 that went to the Elite 8 is perhaps a close second. Even so, I think Chicago has a good shot at getting to the Final 4 - the quadrant is theirs to lose.

I think Brandeis will be the underdog against Amherst but has its mojo back at the right time. I think the Judges will be targeting Amherst goalkeeper Lee Owen, who has not displayed the same level of talent as Thomas Bull. He has conceded some concerning goals this year - the most notable example I can think of was when he was beaten at his near post from a 30-yard free kick against MIT - and should have prevented the corner from which Bowdoin scored in the NESCAC tournament, so Brandeis may well abandon its possession game in favor of balls into the box. For the Amherst supporters: I am not trying to be an Owen hater - just relaying my opinion. He could well turn around and be Bull's equal next year, and if so, I say good for him, but - aside from his PK heroics - I think it's fair to say he has not displayed Bull's level of solidity up to this point. That said, Amherst will certainly try to use its strengths to its advantage, and even though Brandeis has displayed remarkable improvement on the defensive front in its last 8 games - conceding .5 goals/game compared to the 1.4 goals/game it shipped during its first 10 - but Amherst will have scouted Brandeis and know where to utilize its strengths. Should be a great game.

On another note, does anyone know when the UAA awards are coming out? IIRC it's usually the Thursday before the weekend of the 1st & 2nd Round games, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Mr.Right

The 1 thing Owen does very well is PK's....Remember he replaced Bull in Pk's in 2014 when they won at SLU I believe. Amherst with their high pressure and fast closing will almost certainly force Brandeis into playing long balls which like you said could be a good thing. I also agree that the more Shots Brandeis can get the % of 1 or 2 going in against Owen is very real. To me his biggest weakness is coughing up saves for PRIME rebounds which Brandeis MUST pounce on and they have the speed to do so...It will be a very interesting game and there will be tremendous pressure for Brandeis wingbacks to keep the dangerous duo of Hlinomkaz and Martin from causing damage..Martin is having his finest season in 4 years IMO this year as he looks in very good form right now. It will be important for Brandeis to track him all game and not allow him to run at defenders, instead step up and tackle him. Leinhart is another dangerous player who is playing very well right now that Brandeis much watch out for. He is sneaky as he does not look like much but is talented. If Brandeis midfielders can deal with Orozco defensively they will have some chances on the counter as I am not a fan of Amherst CB's...More to come

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 14, 2016, 12:04:46 PM
The 1 thing Owen does very well is PK's....Remember he replaced Bull in Pk's in 2014 when they won at SLU I believe.

This is true - I think that was the first time I had ever heard of him. He also stopped Brandeis' first kicker in Savonen a week later in their Sweet 16 matchup, although the rest of the Brandeis kickers scored (Amherst's Bellew had his pen saved by Graffy and Martin missed wide in sudden death). He also saved a PK against Midd. this year IIRC, so if this game was to go to pens he could have a big impact.

4samuy

Chicago also went down early to Carthage, and went on to eviserate them 6-2.  One point about Brandeis,  They came limping into Chicago after a tough start to the season.  Although they came away with a tough 2-1 defeat,  IMHO They may have been the best side chicago faced all season. And I believe they have gone on to win 7 of their last eight since that Chicago match.

Mr.Right

Quote from: 4samuy on November 14, 2016, 01:11:50 PM
Chicago also went down early to Carthage, and went on to eviserate them 6-2.  One point about Brandeis,  They came limping into Chicago after a tough start to the season.  Although they came away with a tough 2-1 defeat,  IMHO They may have been the best side chicago faced all season. And I believe they have gone on to win 7 of their last eight since that Chicago match.

Yes I watched that whole game and was an intense game..Brandeis coughed up a 1-0 lead with about 12 minutes left only to lose in OT I think. The most impressive thing about Brandeis is right after that game they realized they were one of the top teams in the country and just reeled win after win including a win at Wash U the following Sunday after such a tough loss to Chicago. They could have caved and packed in the season after the Chicago loss but showed how resilient they are by quickly picking up the pieces and going on a tear. Impressive

NEsoccerfan

UAA Awards are up:

Most Valuable Player: Nicco Capotosto • University of Chicago

Rookie of the Year: Sam Drablos • University of Chicago

Coaching Staff of the Year: University of Chicago • Head Coach Mike Babst, Assistant Coaches Pat Flinn, Sean Palacios, Layth Masri

2016 Men's Soccer All-Association Team
First Team

Hill Bonin, University of Chicago
Calvin Boyle, CWRU
Zach Broujos, CWRU
Nicco Capotosto, University of Chicago
Brenton Desai, University of Chicago
Sam Drablos, University of Chicago
Andreas Fatschel, Carnegie Mellon University
Jacob Grindel, CWRU
Max Lopez, University of Chicago
Zack Masciopinto, Carnegie Mellon University
Jason McCartney, Emory University
Josh Ocel, Brandeis University
Second Team

Petter Aasa, NYU
Dayo Adeosun, University of Chicago
Tanner Chester, University of Rochester
Cody Gardiner, Emory University
Jonathan Garske, Washington University
Jeff Greblick, University of Rochester
Evan Jastremski, Brandeis University
Moustafa Khattab, Emory University
Matthew Koh, University of Chicago
Tristan Medios-Simon, NYU
Kyle Robinson, Brandeias University
Ben Swanger, University of Rochester
Ike Witte, Washington University
Ben Woodhouse, Brandeis University

I thought it a bit curious that CWRU placed 3 guys on the first team, whereas Brandeis only had 1, and Wash U and Rochester had 0.

Unsurprisingly, Chicago sweeps POY, ROY, and COY. With a team so loaded with star players and freshman in particular, kudos to Nicco Capotosto (a sophomore...wow) and Sam Drablos. I have not seen much of Capotosto, but he was 10th on the team in points (0 goals, 5 assists). Obviously stats only tell part of the story, but can anyone posit why this sophomore received the award over fellow sophomore Max Lopez (13 goals, 11 assists) or Senior Brenton Desai (9 goals, 4 assists)? I'm not sure how the voting for POY works, but any insight would be helpful!

Similarly, i'm curious why the statistically inferior Drablos (6th on the team with 3 goals and 2 assists) won ROY over Dayo Adeosun (3rd on the team with 7 goals and 5 assists).

Jump4Joy

Ocel will have to show up in ways that he did not in the Elite 8 last year. Viera was the engine in the Brandeis loss to Trinity. I notice he scored the OT goal on Sunday.

Just as a matter of correction: Amherst's Owen was not beaten near post by the restart from distance at MIT.