MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Notes on the basketball side of things:

Yes, Hunter Ward, best game of the year (that I've seen).. dominated the action in the last 5 minutes, tremendous on the boards and taking the right shots at the right times throughout the game..
Feared CJ Moore might have had a significant ankle/foot injury when he went off in pain with about 8 minutes left, but he worked with Eureka trainers and came back in at the end of the game
Websters zone did two criticals... pressured perimeter shots, lowering EC's % significantly... Feehans were 6 for 15 from 3's, everybody else was 4 for 24 from 3's.... also made it extremely difficult when zone was penetrated.. jumpers Ward, Henry, Milligan, Evans altered or blocked numerous shot attempts from the paint.
Sam and Shea Feehan did penetrate, but rarely was there someone really wide open to dish to....
In other words, defense won it for the Gorlocks...Yes, I was surprised, I though EC offense could beat the zone... it couldn't

Elsewhere... final scores weren't that close, but a look at play by play show the games were hotly contested...

NOT at Spalding... They clobbered Fontbonne... never close.. and I can't see how the Griffs can stay in this race missing the two most stable players in the program, Dorhauer and Kissing... A shame for Coach Thornhill, who had things going pretty well..  The win was a must for Spalding, getting them back to .500  and showing that despite the 3 game losing streak on the road, they are indeed a contender who will win at home...

Mac had a big lead at home vs 0 and 11 Prin, but went an 8 minute stretch without a field goal in the 2nd half to let Prin back in it...Prin cut it to one with 45 seconds left, but Kolin Keltner stuck a 3 pointer at 31 seconds to keep Prin in its coffin..  Nice balanced scoring from Mac starters, 4 in double figures, one with 9... Anumu and Davidson have big games for Prin, but it's not quite enough...

Greenville really gets it going at Blackburn, winning 130-114.. a romp? by no means.. Blackburn had all the answers in the first half and led 69-57 at half time, but the system is meant to wear down the opponent who is not used to the pace for 40, and GC simply ran away with the game in the 2nd half... BC turned the ball over 14 times in the 2nd half compared to GC's 7, and BC had 14 second half field goals, compared to Greenville's 28... dominance...  Chris Davis who can go to the hoop with the best of them (but doesn't too often) finished with 34 for BC in the loss... Michael Hohm had a big day for GC with 29, and good to see DeAndre Brown, who hadn't been scoring recently, finish 8 for 10 from the field, 21 points.

Iowa Wesleyan wins the battle of two of the league leaders, 78-74, over Westmin... of course this squeezes things a little tighter in the standings as YJack mentioned earlier, as IWU (that's I for Iowa) is Ineligible for the conference tourney.  Wesleyan got great games off the bench from Marquis Jones and Mitch Drey, both with 15 points, both likely inspired to regain their lost starting spots.... Game stats for the teams were incredibly even, no advantage anywhere...a tie game with 2 minutes, a Marquis Jones jump shot at 33 seconds takes IW's lead to four, and after two Westmin FTs, two Elijah Johnson FTs with 5 seconds on the clock ice it...

hopefan PLAYER OF THE WEEK coming a little later...

The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUH on January 31, 2016, 11:09:27 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 31, 2016, 10:17:55 AM
Well done... I may follow later today just to keep the "pressure" up.

You know, you should find out who that unbiased fan is and invite to discuss SLIAC hoops on Hoopsville. :)

This sounds like a good idea... but would anyone listen? :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 31, 2016, 12:47:36 PM

You know, you should find out who that unbiased fan is and invite to discuss SLIAC hoops on Hoopsville. :)

The story of my Sliac life 😄

hopefan

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 31, 2016, 12:47:36 PM

People are driven (pun intended) by many different things. hopefan takes the concept of being a fan to places (pun intended again) that I don't think anyone else does. I think there's a story here, but it's probably one better told in writing than in a live interview.

Quote from: hopefan on January 31, 2016, 01:08:32 PM
Plus I'm very shy... Just ask y jack

NOT!!

hopefan

Hopefan player of the week ... came down to a comparison of 2 players..

Bent Long of MacMurray... runnerup in last week's award to teammate Deavis Johnson, Long had an incredible performance  in Mac's close win over Blackburn, scoring 36 points on 15 for 22 shooting with 10 rebounds, and another solid, though slightly below his average, in Mac's nailbiter over Prin, where he had 16 points... Sorry Brent, runnerup again..

Hopefan player of the week goes to Greenville's Michael Hohm, who picked up his scoring when the usual reliable 3 point efforts from Tim Daniel went south, to guide Greenville to 2 critical wins in tossup games vs Westminster and Blackburn.   Against Westmin, Hohm had 21 points on 8 for 15 shooting, with 5 assists, 5 steals and NO turnovers... He then had what I imagine was a career high 29 points against Blackburn on 12 of 16 shooting, with 4 assists, 3 steals and only 1 turnover... TWO great games....

haterinthehouse

Blackburn's Chris Davis now over 1000 pts. Impressive feat playing at a miserable school with terrible leadership. Surprised he has stayed this long

hopefan

Quote from: haterinthehouse on January 31, 2016, 05:45:59 PM
Blackburn's Chris Davis now over 1000 pts. Impressive feat playing at a miserable school with terrible leadership. Surprised he has stayed this long

Maybe you should ask him... he did come close to transferring this past summer, but chose instead to return to Blackburn... he seems happy to be on the court again...have you ever even seen him play?

I remember you were very up on the hire of Jason Baribeau 5 years ago... it didn't work out for him... is this where all the negativity is coming from?  Jason was a good guy, we went out for dinner before a game, wondering where he is now, what he's doing.. I remember his wife wanted to get back to upstate NY to be near family... hope things worked out for him....

haterinthehouse

As an alum I was excited about his hire and his background coming in. He was a good guy that did a lot of good things with alums and with the community. My angst is in my embarrassment that he was not supported more and was mid-lead by our administration. So yes, I am negative and sour having seen that perspective.

newCCIWfan

Quote from: hopefan on January 31, 2016, 06:06:22 PM
Jason was a good guy, we went out for dinner before a game, wondering where he is now, what he's doing.. I remember his wife wanted to get back to upstate NY to be near family... hope things worked out for him....

I believe he is back in New York working in Finance.

hopefan

Quote from: newCCIWfan on January 31, 2016, 10:45:12 PM
Quote from: hopefan on January 31, 2016, 06:06:22 PM
Jason was a good guy, we went out for dinner before a game, wondering where he is now, what he's doing.. I remember his wife wanted to get back to upstate NY to be near family... hope things worked out for him....

I believe he is back in New York working in Finance.

out of hoops... hope he's happy....

hopefan

I just noticed a rather remarkable bit of SLIAC scheduling taking place on Wednesday... (include Tuesday's game too)

IWU (Iowa) (8-4) at Prin  (0-12)
Blackburn ( 5-7) at Webster (7-5)
Fontbonne (6-6) at Westminster (7-5)
Eureka (6-6)  at MacMurray (8-4)
Spalding (6-6) at Greenville (7-5)

in each case, one of the teams that is over .500 is playing one of the teams that is at or under .500.. and in all cases but IWU (Iowa) at Prin, the over .500 team is at home... IF the 5 teams that are over .500 all win, all of a sudden there could be a distinct separation in the standings 4 teams + IWC all at least 2 games ahead of the bottom 5 teams, with 5 games left... I think we need to be rooting for those underdog visitors on Wednesday to keep things interesting!!.. Of course if they were all to win (besides Prin), we'd have IWU (Iowa) with 4 losses, Mac with 5 losses, 6 teams with 6 losses, and BC with 7 losses.... YES!!!!

3 more weeks of regular season hoops, then the conference tourney.. I'm gonna soak it up!!!!

WUPHF

You probably do not need to add Iowa in parenthesis every time you mention IWU.  At least not in this thread, unless Illinois Wesleyan is playing a SLIAC school.

Greenville, by the way, is becoming Greenville University next year, but that will not change much.

hopefan

ok, in a quick runthrough, I went through the remaining SLIAC schedule picking winners...

Without divulging who I picked to win which games, or the finishing records, I came up with this :

3 way tie, Mac, Webster, Greenville...  Webster wins tiebreaker
4th to Westminster

If this were to happen
Conf Tourney at Webster

Mac vs Greenville   2-3
Webster vs Westmin  1-4

I have every confidence in the world that this will change by the end of Saturday's Games.... I'll do it again then... ;) ;)

hopefan

AND  hey-hey, for the 2nd time in 4 tries, SLIAC.org and hopefan player of the week is agreed upon...

Michael Hohm... a clean sweep!!