MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

Congratulations to the Vikings on reaching the national championship game.  I thought Augie played extremely well last night vs Williams.

Chrishawn Orange and Jacob Johnston get most of the pub (and they've both been great), but I think Nolan Ebel makes the Vikings tick as much as anyone.  He's really emerged as a strong floor general-type PG who just does a lot of things to help Augie win games.

I've seen Babson play 4 times now and I'm very impressed -- that said, I love Augie's chances tonight.  I think Augie's size, strength, and the physical nature of their play will give Babson trouble.  The Vikings will need to shoot it well again -- not like last night's crazy 62% FG/56% 3-point, but somewhere around their season averages of 49%/37%.

It's time for the CCIW's 19-year national championship drought to come to an end tonight, and I believe it will.

Titan Q

I made this post on New Year's Day...

Quote from: Titan Q on January 01, 2017, 10:21:56 AM
I have watched a lot of games across a lot of regions so far this season.  The team I follow has played a number of strong teams (Ohio Wesleyan, North Central, North Park, Wash U, Chicago, Middlebury) and I've also been able to catch several other games of interest - like the Chicago/Babson game yesterday. My biggest takeaway on 2016-17 so far is that there is tremendous parity in Division III men's basketball.  A few thoughts within that...

I am confident there is a group of 4-5 teams that are the favorites to win the national championship, but it's not really even obvious to me who those teams are yet.  Early indications, to me, are that group includes Babson, Whitman, Amherst, and UW-Whitewater.  It's possible there is another team or two that belongs in that group...it's also possible that not all of those teams I listed belong in that elite tier.  Having watched Babson yesterday against Chicago, I like the Beavers as the best team I've seen.  I like that they have a 1st Team All-American to give the ball to when times get tough, I like the other impressive talent around Flannery, and I like the way they go about their business on the floor.

Starting immediately after that "elite tier" I mentioned above, I see a huge pack of extremely even teams that spans from about 5 down to 25. For example, here are teams I have watched that I really can't find any significant separation between (going down the current Top 25) - #4-Marietta, #7-St. Norbert, #11-UW-Eau Claire, #12-Benedictine, #13-North Park, #15 Hope, #17 Wesleyan, #18 Illinois Wesleyan, #20 North Central, #25 Wash U, Middlebury (not ranked), Augustana (not ranked), UW-Stevens Point (not ranked).  If any of these two teams played each other on a neutral court, I'd have to call it a "pick 'em."  I'm guessing most of those other Top 25 teams and candiates I have not seen belong in this pack too.

And finally, while I do see separation between that small top tier and the big second tier, I don't think that separation is very big.  For example, Greg mentioned #1-Babson vs #18-Illinois Wesleyan.  I agree that Babson is better overall than Illinois Wesleyan and certainly should be ranked higher, but if those two teams played on a neutral court I believe that would be an incredibly close and competitive game that IWU could absolutely win. The combination of 6-8 Trevor Seibring and IWU's great outside attack would give Babson a lot of problems. (In the same way IWU played a barn-burner at North Central on 12/3 when North Central had Connor Raridon.) Or replace IWU in my point above with Middlebury or Wash U or North Park or Marietta, etc.  There might be 3-4 points of difference, in terms of a point spread, between the top 4-5 teams and that second tier. Those games could end up going either way.

Trying to sort out the Top 25 is always fun but when there is this much parity, I doubt there will be many concrete answers until things get settled in the tournament.  The tournament, by the way, should be awesome.  It's probably a year where any of the 21 Pool C teams could legitimately make a Final Four run.

I think the season has pretty much unfolded this way.  Despite #3-Babson being ranked high all season long, and Augustana not even in the Week 13 poll, I don't think there is much separation here at all.

Titan Q

Per Twitter...

Dark Horse Recruits‏ @dhrecruits 
#DarkHorse 2017 6'4 F Chamar Flanigan (Glenbard North HS) just committed to play college basketball at North Park University (D3).

augiefan

Augie has been to the Final Four 5 or 6 times without winning it all. I think it will be pretty shocking if this year's inexperienced team with 8 losses, including a 30 point loss in their last regular season game, breaks through with a win tonight.

The match ups are as follows:

Augie:

Starters:

Orange 6'2" Sophomore
Sortillo 6'3" Junior
Martin 6'10" Frosh
Ebel 6'1" Soph
Johnston 6'5" Senior

Top Reserve:

Benning 6'6" Soph

Babson:

Starters:

Lowry 6' Junior
Comenake 6'3" Junior
Rice 6'5" Senior
Flannery 6'5" Senior
Nelson 6'7" Senior

Top Reserve:

Droney 6'5" Senior

Babson has the experience advantage and the probably DIII player of the year in Flannery. Augie arguably has more depth and lots of height coming off the bench, although Babson's starters have a slight height advantage. I think defense and the the play of the PGs will decide the game. Ebel has been the surprise of the year for Augie. I did not even recall his name when the season started, but his aggressiveness, which annoys so many on this board, has been critical to Augie's success. If the refs blow the whistle a lot and squelch Augie's in your face defense, the Vikings will be in trouble.

I hope Q's optimism is on target, as he has been nearly 100% in his assessment of Augie this season. However, I see Flannery and greater big game experience prevailing with a 5 or 6 point Babson victory.

Whatever happens it has been a great run. Hopefully the Vikings can get their first National BB title tonight.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Augustana is developing before our eyes.  I wouldn't have give either team in the second game a chance to beat Babson when the game began last night, but by the end, I truly believe Augustana has a legitimate shot tonight.  I've been on the Babson train since November, so no reason for me to jump now, but it wouldn't be a shock for the Vikings to win - and the fact that it's not a shock is kind of a shock, given the season.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

augiefan

Does anyone know how much longer the NCAA is committed to hosting the tournament in Salem? It seems like the Midwest is due to get a host city next time around.

iwumichigander

If tonight is a "typical" championship game , the refs will " let them play".  Expect the refs to set the tone in the first 2-4 minutes, with pint of emphasis calls.  If the team's adjust to those early whistles, the agressor will get the calls as the game rolls on which, IMO, favors Augie. 
I am expecting the coat to come off within the first 5 minutes :o ;D :o ::)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: augiefan on March 18, 2017, 01:02:40 PM
Does anyone know how much longer the NCAA is committed to hosting the tournament in Salem? It seems like the Midwest is due to get a host city next time around.

We will find out in April what the current committee has decided regarding 2019-2022 (next year is already assigned to Salem).

As for where it could go besides Salem, that depends on who else has put in for the honor/option. If no Midwest locations put in to host the event, it won't go to a Midwest location. Closest we came was the last cycle where Calvin was part of the conversation (they were a finalist). However, even with Vande Streek on the committee when the decision was made, it did not get awarded to Calvin (who have told me after this year's women's final four they are done finished trying to host at least basketball on their campus - maybe volleyball as well).

I have not been able to get any hint as to what locations put in bids nor what the committee has decided (they have already decided and the decision will be announced in April). They are being very tight-lipped about it after what I was told was a stern warning from the high-ups at the NCAA to keep it quiet.

FYI the committee got their first look at the bids in January and have gone through a few stages of decisions before coming up with the final thoughts for the next four years. Those could be four different locations, though usually it is in two-year cycles... or it could be one place for the entire four years.

I do know Salem put in to host, once again. I also know they put in to host the women's event, but at Roanoke College's new fieldhouse. I really am not sure where things stand.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: augiefan on March 18, 2017, 01:02:40 PM

Both men's and women's championship weekends are up for bids now.  They'll be announced in the near future (April, likely).  It all depends on who bid and what the bids look like.  It's not like the NCAA decides "we're going to go to Chicago next time," hosts submit bids and they choose from those.

It's going to be very tough for any place to match what's been done in Salem and there's some argument that the experience here has been good enough for long enough that the location itself has become pretty synonymous with d3 men's basketball.

I'd be happy to go somewhere else, but I would not want to do it just because its different.  If someone can and is willing to put on an event as good or better somewhere else, they should get a chance.  I just thing it's pretty unlikely.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - Salem has hosted 80+ championships, about 15 of them in Division II and the rest in Division III. They were handed the men's and women's soccer championships with about 60 days, maybe 9 weeks, of lead time (as the tournaments were pulled out of North Carolina). Salem is known to do what others simply can't and they have been the ones who have created what are now traditions at all Division III, and other Divisions, championship weekends (community service, championship banquet, etc.).

That said, they are nervous they may lose football (which they have had the longest) for at least one year to a bid like Canton, Ohio (associated with the Hall of Fame). They are also very nervous they will lose men's basketball. I have been told there has been a movement in the men's committee amongst at least one or two members to find a new home, but for no really good reasons - just to say they did it. Now, Salem is always nervous when the bids come up, but considering how many titles have come through Salem (this academic year alone: men's and women's soccer, football, men's basketball, and women's lacrosse in Division III... softball in Division II and maybe others) I feel Salem is hard to beat especially for a location to try and live up to the expectations and bar that Salem has set. They simply won't.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Juwan Henry had a nice first half for the East team in the All-Star game. (The East is certainly running up the score against the West.) It's great fun to see him out there on last time -- and it's a nice touch that, since another player has Juwan's #4, he's wearing the #0 of his teammate and roommate T.J. Cobbs.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Congratulations to North Park's Jordan Robinson on being named a 1st Team All-American by D3hoops.com.

Gregory Sager

Congrats to Jordan Robinson, the only junior on the d3hoops.com All-American first team!

Chrishawn Orange made the fourth team; he's the only sophomore among the 25 All-Americans.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Someday there will be a student section that will figure out that the "Overrated!" chant actually diminishes what their own team is doing.

But that day won't be today.

Gregory Sager

Augustana was up by ten, 26-16, halfway through the opening stanza.

But then, just as they did yesterday, the Beavers flipped the switch and went into overdrive. In the second quarter Babson outscored Augie, 25-5, to take a 41-31 lead into the locker room.