BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pops33

Two walkoff wins in the first 2 games of the conference tournament is awesome! Denison won the first won and Wooster won the nightcap.  Both in extra innings. Fun day for baseball.  Today should be another barnburner.

Dr. Acula

I just have to say that each year I am more and more impressed with Mike Deegan.  He is without question one of the best coaches in the country.  If he has aspirations of coaching at the D1 level I cannot think it will be too long before that opportunity arises.  He continues to prove that he is a leader and someone that knows how to recruit and develop his type of kids to produce a winning culture.  Very impressive program.

And not to be overlooked, I also think McGee is pushing Witt in the direction of contending with DU and Wooster regularly in the future.

Pops33

The NCAC is starting off in a good way this year.  So far the teams are 22-11.  Hope it will continue for the conference's sake, will help with strength of schedule.  Denison and OWU both 3-0, Wittenberg 2-0, and Wabash 3-1 to lead the league.  Looking forward to see if anyone will challenge Denison and Wooster at the top of the conference.

Dr. Acula

What is going on with OWU?  They got run ruled by Capital yesterday 13-3.  Capital is not good so it got me curious and I hopped onto OWU's schedule.  They are 3-6 and giving up a boat load of runs (over 11 per game).  This is coming off an 8-23 season last year.  Hopefully just a rough patch because that's a program the NCAC used to be able to count on if not to contend to at least be a good program year to year and boost the SOS.

As for the rest of the conference, I haven't followed it closely but it certainly appears Deegan has the Big Red humming again this spring.

Pops33

Big Northeast Ohio matchup today with CWRU playing Wooster.  Based on when he last pitched, it appears that Former Fighting Scot Evan Faxon will be on the hill today against his alma mater.  It is always an interesting matchup but that should put a little extra spark into the game.  The win would look good on either team's resume.  CWRU (15-13) has played the most difficult schedule in the country, but a .500 record may not be enough to get into the postseason.  Wooster (13-8) has stubbed their toe a couple of times and need to get on some sort of winning streak if they don't want to put all of their post-season hopes on winning the NCAC tournament. 

Pops33

Wooster prevailed in the matchup with CWRU, winning 8-6 in a back and forth contest.  For those interested, Faxon did not start, but pitched one inning in relief, in what looked like a planned bullpen game.

Pops33

To borrow the golf terminology, Wednesday could be "moving day" in the conference standings:

Denison 12-2
Wittenberg 11-3
Kenyon 10-4
Wooster 9-5
Allegheny 8-6
Depauw 8-6

Denison has Oberlin tomorrow so they should sweep and stay atop the standings, and play Wabash this weekend.  It s a good bet that they stay the #1 seed for the tournament.  The next four teams, play each other.  Wooster travels to Witt and Kenyon travels to Allegheny.   All four of these teams are in control of their own destiny.  Depauw plays rival Wabash and cannot afford another loss or they may be out of contention. 

Dr. Acula

I watched a fair amount of the NCAC tourney this weekend.  If I picked it up correctly the guys calling the games were one from Denison and one from Wooster.  The SID I believe they mentioned.  Anyway, those guys did a really nice job on the call. 

I think the NCAC and OAC will both be 2 bid leagues so good luck to our 4 Ohio squads.

old scot

Wow. Woo loses the the first game then comes back to win 4 in a row. Don't know what to make of this team. Splits with middle of the road NCAC teams but they seem to pull out wins when needed. Way to go Scots. Put your head down and keep grinding

Pops33

I agree, the Scots are tough to figure out.  They have some dynamic players on offense and can put up a lot of runs.  It's the pitching that has been the question all year.  A couple of them stepped up in their four game win streak in regionals.  Hope that they can get good pitching against Salisbury and give themselves a shot at going back to the World Series.

Dr. Acula

It's almost April.  I don't recall the last time Wooster was in the basement of the NCAC standings this late.  In their defense they've lost to a lot of good teams though.  Once conference play starts I have a sneaky suspicion they climb the standings.  Call it a hunch.

old scot

Scots pitching doesn't seem to be very strong so they will probably struggle the whole season.

If the Scots can't pull out of this funk it will be the programs first losing season in 47 years..... All good things come to an end.

Dr. Acula

Even if they have a down year I'd think it's a blip.  Craddock can coach. This isn't gonna be the new norm.

Pops33

Craddock is out as the College of Wooster head coach.  Story here.  https://www.woosterathletics.com/sports/bsb/2022-23/releases/20230531sit64v

They do not give a reason.  Wooster was only 3 runs short from going back to the College World Series in 2022, losing to the eventual runner up Salisbury.  Definitely think this year was a blip.  Pretty sure there were some injuries to key players as well. 

Dr. Acula

That story certainly seems to make it sound like he was let go.  Unfortunate to see especially if it was based on this season mainly.  That's a great gig for somebody.  Hope they have someone in mind with it being the heat of their recruiting season right now.