MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlk

Quote from: BaboNation on March 09, 2018, 09:58:43 PM
What great games - a real credit to New England college basketball.

And, for the 3rd time in the last 4 years the Last Team Standing in New England resides in the NEWMAC!

This may be the 2nd best moment in conference history (2 teams in the Final 8) and the story isn't over yet!

Way to go Springfield and MIT!

I wonder how often the last team to make the field (Springfield) has ever advanced this far?

The MIT-Middlebury game was fantastic, I'd have to say one of the best basketball games I've ever seen, between two very strong but different teams,  (I was at the MIT game, so that's the only one I can speak to personally).  Curiously, Middlebury's biggest lead was 12-5, and MIT's was 18-12.  The second half was never more than 5 points that I can remember.  Not a flashy NBA-style game, but great ball movement, shot selection, team defense, everything that's why we love the sport as we do.

Middlebury simply has a terrific team, big, athletic, and they don't make a lot of mistakes.  Reminded me more of Harvard than any of the other teams we've faced.  They didn't give our guys anything, it was scrapping for everything.  Their #10 (Folger, I believe) blocked 6 of our shots.

Two NEWMAC teams in the Elite 8 speaks to just how good the conference really is.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

AllStar

Both NEWMAC teams advance:

BaboNation

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 09, 2018, 10:59:18 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 09, 2018, 10:04:48 PM

And, for the 3rd time in the last 4 years the Last Team Standing in New England resides in the NEWMAC!

This may be the 2nd best moment in conference history (2 teams in the Final 8) and the story isn't over yet!

I wonder how often the last team to make the field (Springfield) has ever advanced this far?

Unfortunately that would be an impossible question to answer, since the NCAA never reveals the order of selection.  I'd agree that Springfield was probably the last team in, but the only folks who know for sure ain't gonna tell! :D

They weren't the last team in... not from what I have been able to gather. Certainly not early or middle, but I think they went with a few rounds to spare at the very least.

I think the last one in could very well have been Brockport.

I defer to your better information ... but I'm a little confused too.

I listened to your podcast with Coach Brock and [working from memory here] you asked him something like "Were you a little nervous hearing 63 teams called before yours?".   Now I realize that the last team to be revealed might not be the absolute lowest, but wouldn't it be the equivalent of a 16 seed at the D1 level (i.e. one of the 4 lowest teams)?  I've never watched a D3 selection show, so maybe I'm mistaken.   I do realize that there is no 1 vs. 16 matchup like D1. 
And, yes, an AQ might be deemed a lower "seed" than a Pool C, but what really throws me is what I highlighted ... you really think they made it in "with a few rounds to spare?"  I watched the Hoopsville Mock Selection show where the 3 Wise Men [said with complete respect] had Springfield on the fence for 4 rounds or more before ultimately denying them access.   Yes, I know the Wise Men are not the actual selection committee, but the case for putting Springfield in with "a few rounds to spare" is pretty weak IMO, and I love the Pride.   Brockport I'll give you.  Who else?

BaboNation

Quote from: rlk on March 09, 2018, 11:23:32 PM

The MIT-Middlebury game was fantastic, I'd have to say one of the best basketball games I've ever seen, between two very strong but different teams,  (I was at the MIT game, so that's the only one I can speak to personally).  Curiously, Middlebury's biggest lead was 12-5, and MIT's was 18-12.  The second half was never more than 5 points that I can remember.  Not a flashy NBA-style game, but great ball movement, shot selection, team defense, everything that's why we love the sport as we do.

Middlebury simply has a terrific team, big, athletic, and they don't make a lot of mistakes.  Reminded me more of Harvard than any of the other teams we've faced.  They didn't give our guys anything, it was scrapping for everything.  Their #10 (Folger, I believe) blocked 6 of our shots.

Two NEWMAC teams in the Elite 8 speaks to just how good the conference really is.

I watched most of the MIT game.   I'll admit to being very surprised to see Jomard come back this year.  He really only made a cameo appearance in the first half but played significant 2nd half minutes.  I thought it was smart for Coach Anderson to continue with Jurko running the point and let Jomard settle into the offense with less responsibility.  Jomard's rust was evident and understandable (a poor game offensively), but he did have some HUGE late-game defensive plays.   I'm not worried about him going forward.
This was a game where Forsythe and Hinkley shined and the entire team took care of the defensive boards in the 2nd half.  Folger was giving Roberts fits in the 1st half (where he got most or all his blocks) but the 2nd half was a different story.
MIT can play with anyone left in this tournament.   They are so well-coached, disciplined, and fundamentally sound that if they can, as Valvano used to say, get in a "position to win", everything will take care of itself.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: BaboNation on March 10, 2018, 03:58:26 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 09, 2018, 10:59:18 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 09, 2018, 10:04:48 PM

Unfortunately that would be an impossible question to answer, since the NCAA never reveals the order of selection.  I'd agree that Springfield was probably the last team in, but the only folks who know for sure ain't gonna tell! :D

They weren't the last team in... not from what I have been able to gather. Certainly not early or middle, but I think they went with a few rounds to spare at the very least.

I think the last one in could very well have been Brockport.

I defer to your better information ... but I'm a little confused too.

I listened to your podcast with Coach Brock and [working from memory here] you asked him something like "Were you a little nervous hearing 63 teams called before yours?".   Now I realize that the last team to be revealed might not be the absolute lowest, but wouldn't it be the equivalent of a 16 seed at the D1 level (i.e. one of the 4 lowest teams)?  I've never watched a D3 selection show, so maybe I'm mistaken.   I do realize that there is no 1 vs. 16 matchup like D1. 
And, yes, an AQ might be deemed a lower "seed" than a Pool C, but what really throws me is what I highlighted ... you really think they made it in "with a few rounds to spare?"  I watched the Hoopsville Mock Selection show where the 3 Wise Men [said with complete respect] had Springfield on the fence for 4 rounds or more before ultimately denying them access.   Yes, I know the Wise Men are not the actual selection committee, but the case for putting Springfield in with "a few rounds to spare" is pretty weak IMO, and I love the Pride.   Brockport I'll give you.  Who else?

Brock's reference is to the fact they were the very last team revealed in the bracket. Down in the lower right hand corner (the production crew actually did a nice job of this realizing that was an at-large choice and saving it rather than revealing four team block like usual). There is no true 1v16 in DIII and that lower right hand corner is actually a 2v15 slot in most D1 brackets.

So yeah... just because Springfield was the last one to be revealed in that last slot in the bracketing doesn't mean they were the last ones to be selected :).

I think Springfield was into the tournament with two, maybe three, rounds to go. Just my gut feeling per other conversations. Per our mock selections (as I was one of them) we had Amherst ahead of Springfield and took Amherst earlier in the process. I actually voted against having Amherst ranked ahead of Springfield; I wanted Springfield there earlier than Amherst who was ultimately left out. And we also had Springfield up against a different looking table in the final few rounds than the committee had (based on regional rankings we didn't have access to).

I think Brockport, LeTourneau, and Illinois Wesleyan may have been picked after Springfield. But I am going off the top of my head. My notes from that night are not easily available right now. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Hugenerd

Real tough way to lose for MIT. They call a foul on a rebound with 0.9 s left in a tie game with Ramapo in the bonus.

Congrats to MIT on the great sason.

Good luck to Springfield in the Final 4.

WPI89

Congrats Springfield!  Amazing!  MIT got a rough break. Amazing NEWMAC season. Hopefully the young Crimson Engineers join the fun again next year!!!

BaboNation

I watched the MIT game.  (I will not gripe about foul calls, especially those with bad vantage points on video feeds).  Losing Forsythe in the 1st half certainly hurt MIT's rotation and depth, but that's basketball.

If you're feeling sad for the end of MIT's great season take consolation in the list of players they lose to graduation - not one.  They'll be back next year and what a senior class they have.

Speaking of bad video ... I still haven't seen how close Jomard came on the last-second prayer.

Congrats to Ramapo!

AllStar

Congratulations to Coach Brock and Springfield!  What a run...good luck in Salem!

And also need to mention MIT...great season!

BaboNation

Springfield Pride!  Wow!

I have to watch a rerun as the MIT game had the same tip time.  Yeah, Springfield is for real.  Here they beat another host team that was dismantling all comers in the tournament. 

The NEWMAC should be very, very proud.  This makes 3 Final Four teams in the last 4 years.

As a Babson alum I sure hope Coach Brennan had a good recruiting season because the 18-19 schedule looks tougher every day.

Keep it going Springfield ... make it back-to-back NEWMAC National Champions!

Smitty Oom

Jake Ross or Joey Flannery. Who will end up having a better career?

Both amazing NEWMAC players, curious to see what you all think?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: BaboNation on March 10, 2018, 08:59:24 PM
I watched the MIT game.  (I will not gripe about foul calls, especially those with bad vantage points on video feeds).  Losing Forsythe in the 1st half certainly hurt MIT's rotation and depth, but that's basketball.

If you're feeling sad for the end of MIT's great season take consolation in the list of players they lose to graduation - not one.  They'll be back next year and what a senior class they have.

Speaking of bad video ... I still haven't seen how close Jomard came on the last-second prayer.

Congrats to Ramapo!

Don't get me started... weekends like this makes me lose hair with a combo of pulling it out and scratching my head wondering why I am not hired more to consult/train.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

T990

Can anyone tell me where a video replay is available for the MIT-Ramapo game?  Thanks.

T990

Quote from: Hugenerd on March 10, 2018, 08:43:57 PM
Real tough way to lose for MIT. They call a foul on a rebound with 0.9 s left in a tie game with Ramapo in the bonus.

I don't believe I have ever seen a non-shooting foul call with 0.9 sec left in a game before.  Ever.

TheOsprey

I saw the game and Moseley was driving towards the basket while three MIT players converged on him and someone got called for the foul before he got to the hoop.

As far as the last second shot, the pass was just over the half court and the MIT player did not get control of the ball totally and it fell to the court as time expired.  A shot was never attempted.

MIT should certainly be a favorite for the final four next year.  If my nephew gets into the school, I will certainly be a HUGE fan of them for the next four years. ;)