MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denny McKinney

Hopefan- I'm positive that the Sliac was rank last as conference at some point. Webster didn't win the conferece and lost a good game at IWU. To be considered in rankings you have to win your way to Respect.

Example Sliac WBB: 2000 FU "Win" The biggest upset, I think, in basketball. Beating Wash U and stopping the streak a few shy of Wooden's UCLA record. Wash U had been #1 for a longtime. That got them a home game in 1st Rd NCAA. FU beats Rockford by 40. Then goes on the road to beat #5 Millikiin. Then to Minniapolis were they lost to a ranked Wartburg by 3. A win would of set up rematch with Wash U for a chance to go to the Final 4.

Two years later Webster gets respect on draw and win their way to Sweet 16.

A Sliac MBB team has to win those kind of games before the Sliac deserves discussion.

hopefan

Sorry to relay info from WebsterJournalonline...  Webster's Ahmad Smith out with Back Injury, Aaron Griffin out with shoulder injury...  Questionable as to whether either will be ready for Nov 15....  I'm Hoping both will be full go for Texas-Dallas and Millikin 2nd weekend of season
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

My initial impression of this poll is that it shows a tremendous amount of respect for Coach Kevin Gray of Spalding and Matt Mitchell of Westminster.... both programs lost significant talent through graduation, particularly Spalding, yet are put at 2 and 3 in the poll over teams with much more returning talent (ie, Mac, Greenville, and Fontbonne).....

It is respect well earned

Can't wait to see all the new faces.....

Titan Q

Quote from: hopefan on November 01, 2014, 05:41:20 AM
My initial impression of this poll is that it shows a tremendous amount of respect for Coach Kevin Gray of Spalding and Matt Mitchell of Westminster.... both programs lost significant talent through graduation, particularly Spalding, yet are put at 2 and 3 in the poll over teams with much more returning talent (ie, Mac, Greenville, and Fontbonne).....

On another level, similar to the D3hoops.com preseason Top 25 poll?

hopefan

Quote from: Titan Q on November 01, 2014, 10:05:51 AM
Quote from: hopefan on November 01, 2014, 05:41:20 AM

On another level, similar to the D3hoops.com preseason Top 25 poll?

GOOD POINT   ;)

hopefan

Went over to see MacMurray play Lewis & Clark CC in an exhibition game yesterday.... It was scheduled late after a D1 school had backed out on Mac.. fortunately L & C was able to give Mac a game.... Unfortunately, it was the only date available, and Mac had to play with the absence of 6'8" center Spencer Whitlock who was attending his sister's wedding...  this obviously changed up some offense patterns... still after trailing 44-40 at half, Mac kept things together and won with a dominant 2nd half, 90-79.  Most of Mac's offense ran thru 2 players who have played as sometimes starters/6th men for Mac the last two years.. Dylan Guthrie and Hunter Sutton.. Guthrie had a tough  day with 5 points, but really created on offense with drives through the middle; and Sutton got numerous shots from the wings and key, finishing with 21.  However, the big scorer ended up being James Williams, whom Mac kept finding on the perimeter as L&C defense collapsed to the middle... Williams went 8 for 13 from 3 point land (he never attempted a two pointer) and finished with 28 points.  Brent Long, a second year player who missed most of last season with injury, took over for Witlock in the middle and got significant time, finishing with 10 points and doing a credible job on the boards...   6 or 7 of Mac's frosh got limited time.. not enough to evaluate performance.. though Tyshawn Willis had a critical 3 pointer that helped fuel Mac's efforts to stay ahead in 2nd half...

L&C  was fun to watch.. I don't see much JC ball, but this program had several players that would be a big help to any SLIAC program, notably a guard No. 24, who dominated the ball, created for his teammates, and hit several 3's... Please young man, if you read this, consider a SLIAC school next year!!!  Also playing for L&C was Bryan DeGeare, last years SLIAC newcomer of the year.. He had a beautiful game yesterday in seemingly limited floor time, going 6 for 6 from the floor with 2 Fts, 14 points...  the L&C Coach gave each of his players similar minutes in the exhibition, about 16-18 minutes...   
WOTS is that DeGeare, who played at Fontbonne under Coach Steve Shaefer, will follow Coach Shaefer to Benedictine College in Mesa, Arizona, when that school's program starts up next year....

ALSO noticed that Webster got hammered by Austin Peay yesterday... Webster was missing not only Ahmad Smith and Aaron Griffin as expected, but also Kevin Miller.. don't know why... Hope they're all ready in two weeks!

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on November 02, 2014, 07:07:11 AM
ALSO noticed that Webster got hammered by Austin Peay yesterday... Webster was missing not only Ahmad Smith and Aaron Griffin as expected, but also Kevin Miller.. don't know why... Hope they're all ready in two weeks!

Another Webster player who didn't make the box score is Danny Zehner. Otherwise I think everyone on the roster with an assigned uniform number saw at least a few minutes.

I'm sure most readers know this, but in case anyone doesn't, Austin Peay is a Division 1 program and the pre-game article on their website says they have been practicing for a month, so they have two more weeks of practice uder their belts.

And on the subject of Mac vs L&C, junior colleges also start practice sooner and I heard they have already played a few games that count. (Heard the same thing from Webster's women's coach after their scrimmage against L&C last Wednesday.) So, nice job by Mac to do so well.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: haterinthehouse on November 02, 2014, 08:20:56 AM
http://www.myjournalcourier.com/news/home_top-news-news_education/50586223/Mac-dropping-some-majors-adding-new-ones

That was an interesting short read. I assume that just because Mac is discontinuing majors in the disciplines named (plus eliminating the chemistry minor) that they will still be offering at least some courses in those disciplines.

hopefan

Forgot a big piece of news that I was told......it was 'formalized' to me yesterday.... and that I could it put out...

The 2nd semester arrival that I had mentioned previously is coming to MacMurray.... is Deavis Johnson from Millikin.... Johnson remains at Millikin for the first semester but will attend MacMurray in the 2nd Semester and will undoubtedly be a part of the basketball program... 

Deavis Johnson was Third Team All Conference in the CCIW last year, averaging 13.0 ppg and 10.00 rpg.  Johnson is a 3rd year student, and assuming he plays 2nd semester, would have another year of eligibility at Mac in 2015-16.

The following are posts from the CCIW room made several weeks ago when it was recognized Johnson was not on Milikin's roster.

"Millikin's only all-conference player, their leading rebounder, and only reliable inside scorer, losing Johnson is like losing 2 players. Rather than being ready to take a step up this year, Johnson's loss is a step backward for MU."
"Without Johnson (CCIW's leading rebounder, 2nd in steals, 3rd in blocks) I think Millikin is going to struggle defensively. Johnson wasn't a true 5 but did a lot of the dirty work in the middle that has helped Millikin overcome some size disadvantages."
"Agree, if Deavis Johnson is gone, then MU drops down substantially.  What happened, where did he go?  He was a beast in the paint.  Good player."
"Deavis Johnson is a massive loss, and I'm not just talking about his size."

Those comments are from guys who KNOW who the players are... 

If Johnson really still wants to play and reacts favorably to Creal's highly motivational methods, WATCH OUT.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: haterinthehouse on November 02, 2014, 11:07:19 AM
http://m.sj-r.com/article/20141101/NEWS/141109945?sect=Top%20Stories&map=12690

More on Mac

The article also mentions some positive trends for Blackburn. And there have been previous comments and articles posted on this board about issues at Iowa Wesleyan as well as some comments about low freshman enrollment at Fontbonne this academic year.

Then there's this from the Webster student paper: http://websterjournal.com/2014/10/29/webster-universitys-commitment-to-athletics/

WUPHF

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 02, 2014, 01:04:17 PM
Then there's this from the Webster student paper: http://websterjournal.com/2014/10/29/webster-universitys-commitment-to-athletics/

I live in Webster and I support the expansion of Webster University on to the Eden Seminary campus, but apparently most others are convinced that they are entitled to use the vast Eden greenspace as their own personal playground.