MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 30, 2020, 12:18:20 PM
I'm already wondering if I can say on the air that Paradisio Dante has gone colder than hell, and get away with it.

Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 30, 2020, 05:10:46 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 30, 2020, 02:12:34 PM
I'm already wondering if I can say on the air that Paradisio Dante has gone colder than hell, and get away with it.

Or if he's hot, maybe change his first name from Paradisio to Inferno? ;)

Um, Chuck, in Dante's Inferno, the lowest circle of hell -- the circle where Satan is -- is a frozen lake.

True, but even if the powers that be don't object to your reference, how many of your listeners will recall that tidbit?  Dante did after all call it the Inferno, not the Frozen Lake!

But I agree with lmitzel: Do it! ;D

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 30, 2020, 09:39:11 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 30, 2020, 05:10:46 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 30, 2020, 02:12:34 PM

Or if he's hot, maybe change his first name from Paradisio to Inferno? ;)

Um, Chuck, in Dante's Inferno, the lowest circle of hell -- the circle where Satan is -- is a frozen lake.

True, but even if the powers that be don't object to your reference, how many of your listeners will recall that tidbit?  Dante did after all call it the Inferno, not the Frozen Lake!

You'd be surprised at how many people would get the reference.

Anyway, you've stepped on the joke already, so ... moving on.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 30, 2020, 09:39:11 PMBut I agree with lmitzel: Do it! ;D

The possibilities with a name like "Paradisio Dante" are practically endless. And, as it turns out, I've got a lot of time on my hands right now to think about stuff like this. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

I apologize if this has been previously reported.

The NCAA has decided NOT to grant winter sports athletes an extra year of eligibility. This includes men's and women's basketball. Spring sports athletes will get an extra year.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: AndOne on March 30, 2020, 10:39:53 PM

The NCAA has decided NOT to grant winter sports athletes an extra year of eligibility. This includes men's and women's basketball. Spring sports athletes will get an extra year.

I would have thought granting WINTER sports athletes an extra year of eligibility was ridiculous considering their regular seasons, or most of it, were completed. It's obviously disappointing that the tournaments for those sports weren't able to be completed, but it is what it is. Spring athletes basically had their whole season cancelled.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 30, 2020, 11:08:31 PM
Quote from: AndOne on March 30, 2020, 10:39:53 PM

I would have thought granting WINTER sports athletes an extra year of eligibility was ridiculous considering their regular seasons, or most of it, were completed. It's obviously disappointing that the tournaments for those sports weren't able to be completed, but it is what it is. Spring athletes basically had their whole season cancelled.

I have to agree. All regular seasons -- not most of them, all of them --  had been completed in each NCAA winter sport. The cancellations consisted of post-season tournaments and meets, which obviously pertained only to a minority of student-athletes.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The thing I still haven't seen clarity on is how this affects students who already redshirted or skipped a playing year.  The D3 guidelines have said the spring athletes will not have this spring counted towards their 10 semester window or their four seasons of play.  That's great to get the season back, but say a kid did study abroad for a year and this would've been semester 10 for them.  Do they have to sit out school in the fall in order to compete next spring?

I'm hoping they have a plan for those situations, but there hasn't been anything delineated anywhere I have seen.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 31, 2020, 10:58:12 AM

The thing I still haven't seen clarity on is how this affects students who already redshirted or skipped a playing year.  The D3 guidelines have said the spring athletes will not have this spring counted towards their 10 semester window or their four seasons of play.  That's great to get the season back, but say a kid did study abroad for a year and this would've been semester 10 for them.  Do they have to sit out school in the fall in order to compete next spring?

I'm hoping they have a plan for those situations, but there hasn't been anything delineated anywhere I have seen.

I suspect it will be a blanket rule and those who lucked out by having situations like you described will benefit ... but would be impossible to have all of those filed and considered. Blanket decisions always have items like this that happen and just have to be rewarded. Better than having every single situation sent to the NCAA for analysis.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

kenoshamark

Carthage commit - 6-foot-2 Anthony Bernero.  Son of Tim Bernero the women's b-ball coach at Carthage.

Averaged 16.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.0 assists per game and shot 65 percent from the field and 40 percent from the 3-point range. 

First team all Kenosha County and second team all conference.  He played the post for his high school team so we shall see how the transition goes to his role in college.

tomt4525

Huntley HS G, Ryan Sroka, has also committed to Illinois Wesleyan.  From what I've seen of Sroka, this is a significant get for the Titans.

Titan Q

Quote from: tomt4525 on April 02, 2020, 11:24:45 PM
Huntley HS G, Ryan Sroka, has also committed to Illinois Wesleyan.  From what I've seen of Sroka, this is a significant get for the Titans.

Yes, this a biggie I think.

Joe Henricksen from October:

"The unheralded Sroka is one of the best-kept secrets and is poised for a big senior year after averaging 13.5 points last season. A multifaceted 6-4 perimeter threat, Sroka came on strong last season, including a regional performance in which he scored 23 points, including five three-pointers, to knock off St. Charles East.

Lewis, McKendree and Quincy have extended offers at the Division II level, while Indianapolis also is involved. Sroka has visited Division III heavyweights Augustana, Illinois Wesleyan and Wisconsin Oshkosh, and UAB would like him to be a preferred walk-on."

At the end it was IWU or UW-Oshkosh.

A 6-5 SG that I've heard wonderful things about in terms of skill, leadership, and competitive nature.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dCOUDskfu7c

tomt4525

Quote from: Titan Q on April 03, 2020, 06:59:39 AM

"The unheralded Sroka is one of the best-kept secrets and is poised for a big senior year after averaging 13.5 points last season. A multifaceted 6-4 perimeter threat, Sroka came on strong last season, including a regional performance in which he scored 23 points, including five three-pointers, to knock off St. Charles East.

Lewis, McKendree and Quincy have extended offers at the Division II level, while Indianapolis also is involved. Sroka has visited Division III heavyweights Augustana, Illinois Wesleyan and Wisconsin Oshkosh, and UAB would like him to be a preferred walk-on."

A 6-5 SG that I've heard wonderful things about in terms of skill, leadership, and competitive nature.

If that's what it came down to, I'm certainly glad he will be wearing green and white.

Titan Q

Quote from: tomt4525 on April 03, 2020, 09:10:54 AM
Quote from: Titan Q on April 03, 2020, 06:59:39 AM

If that's what it came down to, I'm certainly glad he will be wearing green and white.

It definitely came down to that.

Win/Win for us, Tom.

Titan Q

IWU's commits that I'm aware of...

* Grant Hardy, 6-8 F/C (Grayslake Central HS) - https://www.hudl.com/profile/8867900/Grant-Hardy

* Evan Schneider, 6-6 F (Ladue HS, Mo.) - https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10354371/5e266eb3a02325142ccbf8f7

* Nate Seputis, 6-9 F/C (Lincoln-Way East HS) - https://twitter.com/nateseputis02/status/1246118980378558464?s=20

* Ryan Sroka, 6-5 SG (Huntley HS) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCOUDskfu7c

NCF

Quote from: Titan Q on March 29, 2020, 08:58:14 AM
Quote from: NCF on March 28, 2020, 02:54:11 PM
He's a great kid who went to the junior high where I teach. He'll work hard to get on the floor.
Thanks for the scoop, NCF.

IWU seems to be the place where many of our former students are going these days. :D
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion