MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 24, 2020, 11:16:31 AM
So all this talk about IWU and Elmhurst.  Are NCC and Augie dead in the water?
No one said that at all.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Titan Q on March 24, 2020, 02:43:10 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 24, 2020, 11:16:31 AM
So all this talk about IWU and Elmhurst.  Are NCC and Augie dead in the water?
No one said that at all.

I didn't say anyone said it. I was asking. Everyone seemed to be focused on IWU and Elmhurst. So, I was just wondering what the prospects for NCC and Augie were.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Wildcat

Anyone know where I can find the video of the Illinois Wesleyan vs Elmhurst championship game on video?

Titan Q

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 24, 2020, 04:57:32 PM
I didn't say anyone said it. I was asking. Everyone seemed to be focused on IWU and Elmhurst. So, I was just wondering what the prospects for NCC and Augie were.

* North Central (14-2) - loses 3 starters including CCIW M.O.P. and 1st Team All-American candidate.

* Augustana (12-4) - loses top 4 scorers/all 3 all-conference players.

* Illinois Wesleyan (11-5) - returns top 8 scorers, including 3 starters who were out at the end of the year.

* Elmhurst (11-5) - returns a ton but loses a 2nd Team All-CCIW player (a bit of a "glue guy").

* Wheaton (9-7) - returns a ton.

* Carthage (7-9) - loses a ton.

So in a preseason poll for 2020-21, you probably go:

1. Elmhurst or Illinois Wesleyan
2. Elmhurst or Illinois Wesleyan
3. Wheaton
4. North Central or Augustana
5. North Central or Augustana

NCC and Augie have good players returning, and will bring in good new guys, but they have a lot to replace.

AndOne

Congratulations to 2020 D3Hoops First Team All-American Connor Raridon of North Central, and Fourth Team AA member Jake Rhode of Elmhurst.

Titan Q

@RowanAthletics
Oh do we have a good #RowanReplay tonight! Considered by most the best game of the 1996 NCAA Tournament, @RowanMBB used a dramatic last second tip-in by @metepoles4 to beat Illinois Wesleyan in the semifinals! Watch it live tonight 7pm
https://youtu.be/bAhnjpm1XxA

iwu70

Q!  One of the great IWU games ever.  :)

Congrats to Raridon and Rhode on All-American honours. 

'70

P.S.  HK now at 410 cases, with the daily spikes continuing.  Not good.  We're on the brink of the broader community outbreak, I fear. 

Stay well all.

ms

voxelmhurst

Dotlich will be missed next year. His ability to create his own shot and knock them down with defenders in his face was often unmatched. Glue guy is a great description of his game. It will be interesting to see who makes the starting lineup in his spot next year.

Wildcat

Voxel, I know the coaching staff is doing a great job on the recruiting trail, to find a replacement for Derek Dottlich. First of all, he can't be replaced. Derek is a great example of hard work and toughness. There is an abundance of talent on the roster already, Nick Perry,Dominic Genco, and Wesley Hooker , to name a few at the guard position. It's been an amazing year at Faganel Hall. Our best season ever, the gym is being remodeled, and an absolutely fantastic coaching staff. All these things are working together to bring new players to visit and possibly commit to Elmhurst. There are big things in the future for EC. Go Blue Jays!

kiko

So one of the aftershocks of the current environment is that the single biggest revenue-generating event for the NCAA is not happening, meaning CBS will not be sending a check with many zeroes to Indianapolis.

While we don't know at this point what the impact is for D3 given the typical fixed percentage of NCAA revenues that are allocated to the division, we did learn today what will happen for D1.  It's not pretty.

Per this article: https://theathletic.com/1703417/2020/03/26/ncaa-tournament-revenue-distribution-athletic-departments/ (paywall), the NCAA typically distributes roughly $600MM to D1 schools.  This year, that number will be roughly $225MM.  $50MM of this will come from NCAA reserve funds.  The rest will come from a line of credit that will be paid off once the organization receives payment on its $270MM event cancellation policy.

That the NCAA is willing to dip into reserve funds is hopefully a good sign for D3; whether this will happen at all, or at what level for D3, is  an important question.  Athletics is just one part of the calculus where schools are losing revenue streams they typically rely upon (example - summer camps), so the skies are fairly grey given that many D3 schools -- or their athletic departments -- subsist in a sort of hand-to-mouth manner.  It is likely to be handier-to-mouthier coming out of the current environment.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

D3 athletic depts don't rely on NCAA money like the big boys,  although closing campuses early is sure to create budget pressure of its own. The D3 shortage will be mitigated a bit by not paying for spring championships. There might be a little belt tightening,  but i think D3 weathers this much easier than D1.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: kiko on March 27, 2020, 12:28:26 AM
So one of the aftershocks of the current environment is that the single biggest revenue-generating event for the NCAA is not happening, meaning CBS will not be sending a check with many zeroes to Indianapolis.

While we don't know at this point what the impact is for D3 given the typical fixed percentage of NCAA revenues that are allocated to the division, we did learn today what will happen for D1.  It's not pretty.

Per this article: https://theathletic.com/1703417/2020/03/26/ncaa-tournament-revenue-distribution-athletic-departments/ (paywall), the NCAA typically distributes roughly $600MM to D1 schools.  This year, that number will be roughly $225MM.  $50MM of this will come from NCAA reserve funds.  The rest will come from a line of credit that will be paid off once the organization receives payment on its $270MM event cancellation policy.

That the NCAA is willing to dip into reserve funds is hopefully a good sign for D3; whether this will happen at all, or at what level for D3, is  an important question.  Athletics is just one part of the calculus where schools are losing revenue streams they typically rely upon (example - summer camps), so the skies are fairly grey given that many D3 schools -- or their athletic departments -- subsist in a sort of hand-to-mouth manner.  It is likely to be handier-to-mouthier coming out of the current environment.

Not only is DIII (remember, DIII makes it's own decisions, not the "NCAA" - governance office in Indy works for DIII) willing to dip into the reserve fund ... that reserve fund was created specifically for times like these. Remember back in 2013/14 when things got very tight? There was very little wiggle room. DIII has done an outstanding job of consciously building up it's reserves for occasions when the TV contract (and thus NCAA operating budget) would get tight or shrink or other "rainy day" purposes. That is what it is designed for specifically.

And as Ryan mentions, the DIII budget goes to DIII championships and governance stuff. Schools do get grants and such from DIII, but it isn't like DI where they get millions back from the NCAA - essentially a portion of the money the TV contracts bring in. But the grants were already paid out this year ... so there isn't any money "lost" to the individual schools and conferences (who also get money in grants and such).

And this has no affect on the future budgets. This is just this fiscal budget. There is a shortfall and it will be made up. Maybe there is an effort to add more to the reserve fund in the coming years dipping into the rest, but that won't be decided for quite some time. The fact baseball, softball, half of basketball, and other championships were not held kept the deficit from being far more substantial. (Remember 75% of the DIII operating budget goes towards championships).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

BTW - I spent some time yesterday tweeting (on @d3hoopsville) and today (responding to others on @davemchugh) talking about this. The first question I sent was responded to rather quickly from Indy and was helpful in understanding the money brought in now had to do with championships and other items that had already been paid for ... nothing for next academic/fiscal year.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Titan Q

@GrantHardy_
I am excited to announce that I will be continuing my athletic and academic career at Illinois Wesleyan University. Thank you for all the support over the years from my friends, family, and all of my coaches.

-------

Ron Rose and the Titans have landed Grant Hardy, a 6-8 C from Grayslake Central.  Hardy is big, physical, athletic post.  IWU won a recruiting battle with a number of WIAC and CCIW heavy weights for Hardy.

The Titans have landed two highly regarded, heavily recruited posts:

* Evan Schneider, 6-6 F Ladue HS (Mo.) - https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10354371/5e266eb3a02325142ccbf8f7
* Grant Hardy, 6-8 C Grayslake Central HS - https://www.hudl.com/profile/8867900/Grant-Hardy

Both guys are really strong, physical, and athletic.

Great to add talented big guys in every class.

tomt4525

Lincoln Way East 6'9" F, Nate Seputis, has also committed to Illinois Wesleyan.