MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

augiefan

Congratulations to Wheaton on a dominating win tonight. Do the same to Marietta tomorrow night. Sad career ending game for Augie's seniors, but a lot of good memories over the last two years.

Mr. Ypsi

shepherd

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 08, 2019, 10:27:22 PM
I missed what happened when Peters got his 4th foul, then immediately got T'd up for foul #5.  His team bailed him out, but he could have been a huge goat, as Ebel sank 4 straight FTs to cut an 11-point deficit down to 7.  What did Peters say or do?
Everybody missed the M. MARTIN T where he stepped over A. SPENCER not on purpose but he still kicked Spencer in the head while he was down and Spencer was woosy for the next few plays.
The announcers had to see it and just didn't want to mention it.

The refs were looking toward the other goal and did not see it.

iwumichigander

Augustana was in deep trouble when M Martin picked up fouls 3 and 4 less than 2 minutes into the second half which IMHO turned the game around for Wheaton

Gregory Sager

Francis hit his season average of 33 on 11-25 shooting, as he hit three huge triples in the last five minutes to stretch Wheaton's lead. But I don't think that he was the story tonight. The story was that Wheaton held its own on the scoreboard even when the team's star wasn't scoring points. Anajuwon Spencer was the best big man on the floor, coming up with 18 points, and Luke Anthony was a definite spark in the second half, finishing with 15. Kobe Eichelberger was the unsung hero for Wheaton tonight, as he tied Francis for the rebounding lead with seven and his defense utterly erased Pierson Wofford (1-10 FG, 5 pts) from the equation, although Wofford did pull down nine boards. Mike Schauer even duplicated his stunt of using Gavin "DNP" Hawkins off the bench to great effect; the rarely-used Wheaton big man, who contributed 13 points against Augie the last time that these two teams met -- and it had been the only game in which he had appeared after January 5 until tonight -- again popped out like the genie from Aladdin's lamp and hit three second-half treys.

Augie got great final-game efforts from Nolan Ebel (23 pts) and Chrishawn Orange (20 pts), and Brett Benning (11 pts) had his moments. But Augie just never looked in sync, as the Wheaton D that blanketed Wooster so effectively last Saturday did essentially the same thing tonight. The Rock Islanders only shot 39% in the second half (including 3-14 from downtown) and 42% for the game. WC meanwhile, hit 63% from the field and 48% from long range in that second half to finish with 51% and 41% for the game.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

From what I've been able to gather, Francis finished the night at exactly 2300 points for his career, including 990 for this season.

1044 is the single season mark (by TCNJ's Greg Grant), which probably will require more than one game.

The best I can tell, Andre Foreman (d3's all time leading scorer) had 2324 total point in his final three seasons, I believe the highest scoring three year stretch in the history of d3.  That "record" is certainly achievable tomorrow against Marietta.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

shepherd

Marietta notes:
1.  Many players love shooting the three
2.  Players will post up and bang EXTREMELY HARD bouncing the defender back turn and shoot.  AKA Shaq O'neal.
3.  The guards defenders facing the guy with the ball will do a single hand check to the chest.  I believe it provoked a technical from Oswego State.  sometimes barely touching other times to hold the player back.  ******Expect this tactic on Francis.******

They play extremely rough basketball use a lot of players and still get a lot of players with 4 fouls in close games or when they lose.

Wheaton must keep their cool against this team!!!!!!!!!

WUPHF

UWPSUPERFAN77

Duck41: You are correct a flagerant push for a T. I would have preferred a flagrant foul! same  result! The only dumb play Wheaton did all night. Auggie did a great job on Francis! the rest of Wheaton beat Auggie!  Sorry either team had to lose!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 08, 2019, 10:51:55 PM

From what I've been able to gather, Francis finished the night at exactly 2300 points for his career, including 990 for this season.

1044 is the single season mark (by TCNJ's Greg Grant), which probably will require more than one game.

The best I can tell, Andre Foreman (d3's all time leading scorer) had 2324 total point in his final three seasons, I believe the highest scoring three year stretch in the history of d3.  That "record" is certainly achievable tomorrow against Marietta.

He also passed Illinois Wesleyan's superstar from the '70s, former NBA All-Star Jack Sikma, to move into sixth place on the all-time scoring list among CCIW players. Francis is now only eight points behind Wheaton's celebrated three-time CCIW MOP Kent Raymond for fifth place on the CCIW list (and second place on the Wheaton all-time scoring list).
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: UWPSUPERFAN77 on March 08, 2019, 10:59:00 PM
Duck41: You are correct a flagerant push for a T. I would have preferred a flagrant foul! same  result! The only dumb play Wheaton did all night. Auggie did a great job on Francis! the rest of Wheaton beat Auggie!  Sorry either team had to lose!

Flagrant fouls don't work that way - at least anymore. They changed the structure, but a retaliatory shove or swing (for lack of a better term) is always considered a tech. Flagrants are reserved for last defender back, hook and holds, etc.

The biggest difference in them is who gets the ball. Techs tend to leave the ball in the hands of whichever team had the ball. Flagrants give the ball to the team shooting the free throws after they are done shooting.

There is also, now, different kinds of flagrants and techs, but I'm getting into the weeds. And as a result, I am going to spend time, again, reading up on all of them.

Edit: read up. Confirmed my thinking. Basically, flagrant fouls are personal fouls that take on an excessive nature (or away from the ball, last defender, etc.). Technical fouls (Class A or B) are for what was described in this play (and the Oswego play) - dead ball situations especially.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

thunder38

Unbelievable effort and performance by Wheaton tonight. Hard to fathom that they hung 63 on the Doggies in the second half. I couldn't believe my eyes down the stretch as Augie sped up to match Wheaton's pace and got away from what they do best.

A couple of things that are easy to overlook in the big picture. The runner by Nyameye Adom to end the first half was massive. Augie had turned a one-point lead to an eight-point lead in a hurry and Adom's runner at least gave Wheaton a little momentum into halftime.

Aston Francis played some big defensive minutes guarding Nolan Ebel in the first half after Luke Peters picked up his second foul. We haven't seen Aston guard the opponent's ace very often this year but he was big in that stretch as Wheaton didn't let Augie pull away in the first half.

Anajuwon Spencer was huge. His confidence has been surging down the stretch and he's really emerged as a weapon. Wheaton ran a set to him after Augie had pushed the lead out to seven or eight in the first half and he buried a three that seemed to calm Wheaton down.

Mike Schauer and his staff are on a heck of a heater. They've pushed all the right buttons and the timing of Eichelberger, Gunter, and especially Gavin "The Viking Slayer" Hawkins was impressive.

Hopefully Spencer Peterson is ok for tomorrow night. Wheaton could use his physicality against Marietta.
You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains.

thunder38

Also a sincere tip of the cap to Augustana's senior class. They're so fun to watch and they're so talented. As distinguished a senior class as we've seen in the conference since the North Park dynasty. Good luck to them in their future.
You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains.

shepherd

Marietta GAMES WITH TECHNICAL FOULS
In the last nine games there have been 6 "SIX" technical fouls by both teams.

17 total technical fouls in games Marietta has played in.  That is absolutely obscene!

list backwards:

1. Oswego got one on 3/8/19
2. Mariettas Keith Richardson got one on 2/16/19 vs Heidelberg.
3.  Wilmington got one on 2/9/19
4+5.  Marietta Anthony Wallace got one, Mount Union got one on 2/6/19
6.  Ohio Northern got one on 2/2/19
7.  Marietta Keith Richardson got one on 1/26/19 vs John Carrol
8.  Marietta Christian James got one vs Baldwin Wallace on 1/18/19.
9.  Marietta Keith Richardson got one on 12/29 vs Lake Forest.
10.  Wilmington got one on 12/15.
11. John Carroll got one on 12/1.
12+13.   Marietta Mikew Hall got one and Wittenberg got one on 11/28.
14+15.  St. Vincent got 2 on 11/17.
16+17.  Marietta Kyle Dixon got one and Otterbein got one on 11/13.

Titan Q

Really incredible game to watch last night. 

I've watch all three of Wheaton's tournament games now and I just can't say enough about:

1) Aston Francis - he's just such a ridiculously talented player.
2) The job Mike Schauer is doing.
3) The complete team Wheaton has become -- they have the best player in the country, but the Thunder have so many good players and are playing so well as a team.

Huge kudos to Augustana's senior class - Nolan Ebel, Chrishawn Orange, Joe Kellen, Brett Benning, These guys have been incredible and have played the game the right way.