MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Buc Forever

I agree.  I don't see WW getting knocked off the pedestal any time soon.  Yes Bridgeland has made WM the second best team in the conference, but Logie is still 4-2 against them. 

As for Linfield, I'm not betting on them if this Matt Totaro is a big time recruit for them.  I checked out his highlight film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlqr_LfJ9wA  Decent looking athlete, but he's not someone that is going to come into the NWC and dominate physically and his game is all within 10 feet of the basket.  Compare his highlight film to Kenny Love's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4ZmHdBs54  No comparison in his overall game or the competition he's playing against.

I have heard more than one DIII coach say say you don't win with DIII guys.  You win by getting players that the DI guys miss on or who have a slight flaw (a little slow, a little small, etc).  I haven't seen anyone that the new coach has brought in that would make it as a practice player at a DI school.  To give you an idea of the talent that WW brings in, a few years ago, a player that played at Whitworth his freshman year--Ben Lowen.  He realized he wouldn't play much at WW and decided he'd rather be a practice player at WSU rather than WW.  He made WSU as a practice guy and then when they had some injuries and Klay Thompson got busted for pot, he started a couple games. 

(509)Rat

UPS will have to get their win tomorrow night against Whitman.

Whitworth 84
UPS 74

(509)Rat

Whitman 71
PLU 57

Linfield v LC was postponed

Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat

To win at D3 teams need at least a level above in talent. To be competitive in conference you need at least 2-3 guys that would have a realistic chance of playing at the next level. To win conference those figures increase. To win national titles you need more. Player development and coaching help but at the end of the day you need the athletes.

Especially valuable would be backcourt players of next level talent.

John Gleich

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 07, 2014, 07:12:53 PM
You have the best home crowd in the entire Western United States as far as d3 basketball is concerned (sorry WIAC, you are not "Western"). You fly to almost every away game...

The WIAC is actually moving to the Midwest region in a year or two with realignment. It doesn't matter too much in terms of administrative regions... but it will be an interesting "rebalance" of power in terms of regional rankings.

One of the things they're trying to do is rebalance the region sizes and thus the number of teams which are regionally ranked (now it's just a ratio of the teams in the region).

And I've got to give props to Whitworth's crowds. I've watched a handful of games online over the years and I've been pretty impressed.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

blackhawks4

Silly Rat. Go ahead and put the date Saturday, March 1st into your calendar.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: John Gleich on February 08, 2014, 02:58:29 PM
Quote from: (509)Rat on February 07, 2014, 07:12:53 PM
You have the best home crowd in the entire Western United States as far as d3 basketball is concerned (sorry WIAC, you are not "Western"). You fly to almost every away game...

The WIAC is actually moving to the Midwest region in a year or two with realignment.

... and it will be called the Central Region rather than the Midwest Region, so that the men's and women's regions synch up.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

A Buc Forever

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 08, 2014, 03:39:38 PM
Silly Rat. Go ahead and put the date Saturday, March 1st into your calendar.

Whitman has dug themselves in a hole as far as winning the conference championship.  They will have to beat WW at WW, hope WW drops another game to someone else, and then WM has to run the table in the other games.  At this point I'd bet on WW to win the championship.  Granted, the league tournament is the most important crown to win since that determines the automatic bid, but winning the regular season gives a team home court advantage. Again, I'd bet on WW over WM if the game is played in the field house at WW.  I'll leave it to Rat to tell us how many years in a row WW has been to the NCAA tournament.

(509)Rat

Quote from: A Buc Forever on February 08, 2014, 04:16:57 PM
I'll leave it to Rat to tell us how many years in a row WW has been to the NCAA tournament.

Thanks to a freak snowmobiling accident I don't have that many fingers left...

Whitman fans will know though since they've been sitting at home watching all of them.

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 08, 2014, 08:53:02 PM
Quote from: A Buc Forever on February 08, 2014, 04:16:57 PM
I'll leave it to Rat to tell us how many years in a row WW has been to the NCAA tournament.

Thanks to a freak snowmobiling accident I don't have that many fingers left...

Whitman fans will know though since they've been sitting at home watching all of them.

Last time Whitman won a share of the league title (which they shared with Pacific and Willamette): The Bangles "Walk Like An Egyptian" was the no. 1 song, "The Simpsons" had yet to begin their first season, Ronald Reagan was POTUS, a gallon of gas cost 89 cents, Nelson Mandela still had three more years in prison before being released, and Jack Sikma was in the midst of setting an NBA record with 51-consecutive FT makes.

I won't even begin on the last time Whitman won an outright title...

blackhawks4

Unless there's an eight point shot that I don't know about, it was a completely classless ending in Tacoma. There is absolutely no excuse for lining up a screen from 50 ft away and dropping your shoulder to blindside a defender with :6 seconds left in a game.

Were it a legal screen, which it wasn't, it's completely classless when the game is over.

Why doesn't the defensive line go full speed on the last kneel down? And don't give me the "we play hard to the last minute bs."

I also wish that this was an isolated incident in the game, but it wasn't. This wasn't tough basketball, it was downright dirty. Much as the Richard Sherman's antics are not a reflection of the Seahawks, nor should this player's antics be deemed a reflection of the UPS team. They're solid, and have a chance of knocking off Whitworth in the 2 vs 3 playoff game.

A buc forever and rat, I like that you're arguing, but you dont know what you're arguing against. Picture WW playing their first 15 games without Michael Taylor. 

Want a hint? Add up the minutes for Eisenhart and Martin. I'm assuming you went to WW, so here's some math help: if the numbers equal greater than 40, there's something suspicious going on.

Wait til you see 6'10 NWC POTY on the court with 6'9 Martin and 6'7 Chircu in Spokane.

Sorry gentleman, the last time WMN won the 'ship may have been in the 80s, but talk to me about Bridgelands resume.

(509)Rat

When discussing Bridgelands resume am I allowed to reference his time at Pepperdine?

And when did Eisenhart win, or when was he even in the discussion for national POTY? I mean, we're comparing him to Michael Taylor right? Apples and Oranges but it was a nice try and I get what you're saying. Maybe I'll start getting worried when he can play more than 16 min in a game.

PS the women's basketball forum is the next one down...

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 09, 2014, 12:41:07 AM
Sorry gentleman, the last time WMN won the 'ship may have been in the 80s, but talk to me about Bridgelands resume.

If Whitworth wins the 'ship this year, he will have as many NWC rings as Bridgeland. Yeah, Logie inherited more, but Bridgeland has zero NWC titles with "his guys" at Whitman after five full seasons there. This would be a sixth. There is nobody here that would dispute that Bridgeland is a good coach, but best in the country? C'mon, man.

blackhawks4

By all means, Rat. Please do, and reference away.

Rat, while you're at it--please bring your boy Pinecone up to speed.

Pinecone, let me see if I can use your words correctly, "C'mon man."

Tell me about another team coming from obscurity to go 44-4 with 3 NWC championships in 3 years and a couple sweet 16 and elite 8 appearances--before walking away.

Tell me about Whitman's record for 20 years before Bridgelands arrival.

Rat--Please also inform your boy Pinecone about how when I brought up the question about Bridgeland being the best D3 coach in the country, an out of conference poster chimed in referencing him with other elites (who have won titles. And for the record, although i think he's in the conversation, I think Bridgeland needs a title before we call him the top D3 coach in the country).

Honestly, Pinecone, you're embarrassing yourself. Let Rat and A Buc Forver fight your battles for you.

Remember this much too please.

I'm the one weeks ago said that the Whits would win out (except against each other obviously). The rest of the board scoffed.

I'm the one who is on record telling you that Whitman wins the conference this year.--By the way, Whitman beats WW, and Whitman claims the crown (with a better record against the top of the conference).

I'm the one who told you that Whitman goes dancing when they win the conference tourney.

I'm the one who told you months ago that WMN will meet UWSP again.

Just wait...

Whitman needs to be healthy and they need time playing together. Ps. Sophomore stud Tochi Oti showed unbelievable maturity this weekend deferring to WMNs bigs and Mournier, but I'd love to see him find his way on a team with so much talent.

Keandre--good call this weekend.

madzillagd

My "out of conference" poster resume: my bro played for PLU (parents and sister also graduated from there), niece currently goes to Linfield, nephew may attend Pacific starting next year, and other nephew's former teammate plays for PLU now so I follow him. Just because I don't post often doesn't mean I haven't followed the conference since I was a little kid decades ago.  :P