WBB: Northwest Conference

Started by swiss, March 07, 2005, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMac

Do you think Lett would have played as well if there was a 6'5" player out there guarding her?

RogK

Hannah is a wonderful player and happily has another year to enjoy basketball.
Nobody knows for certain how things would've gone, absent her injury on Saturday. As Natalie Merchant beautifully sang in 1993, let the mystery be.
(correction : one more year to enjoy college basketball; many years to enjoy basketball)

80sshorts

Hannah playing 35-40 mins in the national championship would've completely changed the complexion of the game.  Her absence and the possible results had she been in will be one of the great What-if questions in D-III national championship lore. 

Mr. Ypsi

Note that I am not saying for sure that IWU would have won even if Munger was not injured.  I'm simply saying that I can't blindly accept that GF would have won except for the injury (see Elite Eight, 2011).

Manny24

Point taken. Going back to Saturday and discussing the game in relation to the season the players had is one thing. Reaching into 2011 results is a bit of a stretch. It is amazing the growth these kids experience from one season to another. Hannah has really come into her own. I'm sure you felt the same way  this year with Olivia. 2011 has no value in validating anything in 2012. Congrats to both teams for some amazing entertainment.

BruinFan

For those interested in an update on Hannah Munger.

http://blogs.georgefox.edu/life/?p=1173

RogK

Thanks for that update, BruinFan. I hope all goes well for her, including a successful rehab and a fun season next fall/winter/spring.

BigMac

Quote from: BigMac on March 21, 2012, 12:19:22 PM
I agree with Mr. Basketball. The style of play that the NCAA wanted in the tournament was very evident. At UMW both weekends it was so apparent that they were not going to call the rules of the game, Let them play. Well the rules are there for a reason and need to be called.

Players will play to the level officials allow. So if the rules are not going to be inforced they will break the rules. That is called street ball and should not be allowed in any NCAA game. THis is no way why UMW lost to GF in their last game but in the second half of the game the second foul of the half was called at about the 8:00 mark left in the game. Are you kidding me??? But I watched both weekends of play all the games and the officials calls were abysmal thru out the tournament. I was thinking it was just the CAC referees but I guess they told them all "Let them play" Not what everyone wants.

I agree and I think EVERYONE know's Munger not hurt GF is the Champions this year but I guess that is part of the game but if the officials are calling the game correctly the unfortunate fluke may of not happened., in my opinion

This is what I was posting about. Glad there are many who also think the same:

http://www.theday.com/article/20120403/SPORT01/304039933/-1/SPORT

Walter Eagle

I got nothing to say...just wanted to get the last post more recent than April 3rd.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Manny24

Thanks Pat,
The Bruin leadership that was lost with Keisha. Ari, Breezy, Carly and Carrie will be missed. That group was special. What they left however is etched in some experienced minds who now have the opportunity to shine in their own way. They will be balanced with most of returning starters (3) , seasoned subs who have had the pleasure and experience of playing with the above and enjoying the journey the last couple of years coupled with a large group of incoming freshman. It will be an interesting season. Alot of questions surrond Hannah's recovery. Alot of others will need to step up and score (who have shown they can, but need to be consistent) to offset the competition trying to stop her. If she heals and is stronger than ever look out. She has the ability now to take over.

One statement I saw on another post rings so true. The target is now set. It is so hard to maintain a high ranking. Everyone raises their game at the opportunity to beat you. 

Manny24

Now that conference play is underway and we have had a chance to see some of the teams this year anyone have any observations?

Good to see we have a couple teams representing in the top 25 again. It also appears we have a competitive road ahead. Congrats to LC on a solid start, a #5 ranking in the latest polls and a clear position to be the team to beat this year. Consistency goes a long way and they seem to be the most consistent heading out of the gate. Going 36 for 43 at the charity stripe Monday againt GF tells me they are focused. On the other hand GF, #24,  has the ability to be very good but lacks the consistency it needs to repeat. Not to say they don't find it and show it but so far they are a team that is growing and finding themselves right now. Allowing a team to go to the stripe 40+ times along with a couple techinicals, tells me they are a little frustrated finding their game right now. Not to say they don't find because if/when they do they can be very good. Which has got to have the rest of the NWC licking their chops for the opportunity to get a win against the team that has dominated the last 4-5 years.
           Whit's are off to a good start. The next couple weeks should prove to be intersting as they travel West to face LC, GF and Pacific who is also off to a good start. PSU got back into the win column last night against PLU after two tough losses at the Whit's in December.

Manny24

Whitman leaps past GF in the polls to 19th with their big win against LC Friday. GF drops to 25. LC drops to 10th.

3 teams in the top 25 from the NWC! Anyone know when the last time that happened? Whitman battles the other Whit tonight then visits GF on Saturday.

mkt

Quote from: Manny24 on January 08, 2013, 04:54:32 PM
Whitman leaps past GF in the polls to 19th with their big win against LC Friday. GF drops to 25. LC drops to 10th.

3 teams in the top 25 from the NWC! Anyone know when the last time that happened? Whitman battles the other Whit tonight then visits GF on Saturday.

Hi, I'm an occasional lurker logging in for the first time.  Impressive that there were 3 NWC teams in the top 25, a bit disappointing to see so little discussion. 

Whitman of course, just as it looked like it was making itself a major player this year, promptly lost two games and dropped themselves out of the top 25.  They looked strong beating Lewis and Clark, a lot less so against George Fox so my diagnosis is they're too inconsistent to be a favorite for the conference championship.  If they're hot they can probably beat anybody, but they can also lose to a lot of teams.

Hannah Munger still looks rusty and GFU's defense looks less ferocious than it did last year.  Lewis and Clark lacks height, or more correctly either lacks good height or lacks confidence in the height that they have.  So they both have some issues but at the moment it looks like they'll battle all season for the championship and I would expect will both make it into the NCAA tournament as they did last year.

My sentimental favorite is L&C, they'll sometimes go ultra-small because when they put their five best players on the court, as they tend to do in crunch time, their tallest player is 5'9" Taylor Wang.  So in the NCAA tournament I think they'll get killed by teams which have good big players.  But in the meantime they play an exciting brand of basketball, highly aggressive and active on both offense and defense.  Wang might be guarding the opponent's biggest player in the post one minute and picking up the ballhandler the next.  All five can drive inside or shoot 3s from outside.

Manny24

Thanks for Chiming in, I was getting tired of talking to myself.

I think your assessment is pretty accurate. At the half way point some observations stand out.  I agree LC is in a position to break the GF run of conference champions because of their balance of experienced players if they can be consistent. The big win against GF then to come back the same week and get beat the way they did against Whitman shows they aren't quite there yet. LC does not have a deep bench but if they don't have to go there they should win out.

Whits on a good night can challenge anyone but your right, good nights are too inconsistent. 

GF is a team in transition. They have had a slew of injuries. Hannah is not at full strength but the play of Hayes and Wolfe is encouraging. Arnoldy seems to be healthy now but had some injuries over the past month. Heckendorf and Parker are out, freshman class is getting the opportunity to see good minutes and have played well enough to win. Big game with LC at GF on Friday. My opinion is they should rest Hannah and get her as healthy as possible for the post season, see how they can play against a quality team without her so they can find some chemistry without her just in case.