WBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Former Sciac Player, March 11, 2004, 05:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoPanthers

I've been MIA the past few weeks but now return to talk about the Chapman women's team who I try to see play ever chance I get, live stream or in person.  To me I think this team is the lukewarm favorite to win to finish first and host the SCIAC playoffs.  I say lukewarm because their size will be an issue for them.  An athletic post player gives them some trouble.  As hard as Gao plays, she tends to get in foul trouble albeit she's doing better than last season not committing silly fouls.  Takaoka and Gao should be under strong consideration for POY because they've been on every team's game plan. Takaoka has carried the offensive load for the majority of the season.  She hit a big three pointer with 22 seconds left in the game against Oxy last Saturday to put them ahead for the first time since early in the game.
Villanueva and Higashigawa have been playing better and better with each game.  Higashigawa who's used mainly to guard the opponent's best scorer, has now been contributing offensively hitting some clutch shots in the second half of the La Verne and Oxy games.  Villanueva has really settled down at the point.  She's personally responsible for the team's wins against Messiah, Claremont and La Verne.  Johnson played an outstanding game vs. Oxy and her two free throws sealed the win.  Moy and Ebrahimian and freshman Krysl are contributing positive minutes.  If they had Sato, who's injured, Chapman would be pretty tough to beat.
At this point of the season, the contenders are: Chapman, Cal Lu, Redlands, La Verne and CMC.  I give Chapman a slight nod to win the league and host the playoffs with Cal Lu 2nd, Redlands 3rd and CMC 4th.  I think Oxy is going to be a spoiler.  Thursday, Chapman goes to Cal Lu and one might think if Chapman wins, they'll have a stranglehold on first, I don't think so because somebody will knock them off.   This is going to be a GREAT GAME.

GoPanthers

Cal Lu got revenge on Chapman with a ten point victory.  Cruz and Salottolo score 21 and 25 respectively.  Cal Lu took control of the game when they held Chapman scoreless for about eight minutes in the first half and turned a nine point deficit into a ten point lead.  Chapman tried to mount rallies but either Cruz or Salottolo hit a basket to increase the lead back into double digits.
Villanueva (Chapman) was incredible with 27 points on 12-19 shooting.

GoPanthers

Saw last night's game, CMC vs Chapman.  I was ready to anoint Chapman as the team to beat in SCIAC after a MAGNIFICENT 1st half.  I don't know if you could play any better.  Supan, Chapman's back up point guard, has been playing much better; looks like she figured it out.  She makes quicker and BETTER decisions handling the ball and works harder on defense.  Prior to this, she held the ball to long and defense seemed to be an afterthought.  Hallstein, Chapman's tallest player has played well lately.  She's tough minded and aggressive and passes very well.  Where has she been hiding??
The second half was much different.  CMC's press was slowly affecting Chapman and when they got it to six points with under 4 minutes to play, this became anybody's game.  The confidence and swagger that Chapman played with in the 1st half was gone.  Very impressed with CMC's Scamman.  She would not let her team lose without a fight.  Barnes and Brackman rose up in the second half t help CMC's comeback.  What puzzles me is why do you call off your press when your down by three?  The other thing I couldn't figure out was why foul when Chapman had the ball and the shot clock was at 12?  A defensive stop would have gotten CMC the ball back with about 10 seconds left in the game.  Takaoka and Villanueva were amazing down the stretch.  I can't anoint Chapman as the team to beat, but if they win against Redlands Saturday, they're in the driver's seat.     

dahlby

Strong 2nd half leads Chapman to 59-41 victory over ULV and win #1 seed in SCIAC tourney, and will host CLU who takes 4th place tie-breaker with ULV. Chapman finished 2-0 against CMS and 1-1 against CLU.

CMS took down CLU 62-52 to capture #2 seed and will host Redlands, who finished third.

Other action saw Oxy down PP 71-58, and Whittier over CIT.

GoPanthers

SCIAC Playoffs begin tonight:
Redlands @ CMS:
I see this one as an all out war.  For me, Redlands has the edge in rebounding (almost 100 more than their opponents) and defensively creating just over nine steals a game.  CMS has the unflappable Scamman, who will keep CMS close and find a way to win the game.  I think Redlands has a little more depth and will end up winning in OT by three points.
Cal Lutheran @ Chapman:
Chapman was terrible in the first half at La Verne, but OMG they dominated La Verne in the second half to pull away.  They cannot have a mediocre game tonight because Cal Lutheran is a tough match up problem for them.  I think this game for Chapman will be tougher than the championship game (if Chapman wins).  If they play like they did in the 2nd half of the La Verne game, Chapman wins by 14-18 points.  If Chapman does stay focused the entire game, the game is close and Cal Lutheran may squeeze out the win.  Close game, I'll take Chapman by five. 

dahlby

Thursday night women's playoffs saw

Chapman over Cal Lu 72-68
Box score and write-up at
   www.chapmanathletics.com

CMS over Redlands 76-72
Box score at 
www.cmsathletics.edu

Chapman will host CMS Saturday. TIME TO BE DETERMINED

GoPanthers

CMC @ Chapman:
Chapman is 2-0 vs. CMS this season.  Third time the charm, but for which team.  For CMS to win, they'll need to not allow Chapman to control the boards.  Gao, Johnson, Ebrahimian, Moy, Hallstein and Villanueva average over 3+ boards a game.  Who else will rise to the occasion to help Scamman, Barnes and Brackman.  Perhaps it could be Ray?  Chapman CANNOT ALLOW Scamann to get to the paint as she easily does.  She's the reason why the Chapman games against CMS are close.  Scamman is unflappable and sometimes unstoppable as she proved against Redlands the other night.  If someone else doesn't step up for CMS, Chapman will win by 12-16 points.   I still like Chapman to win if the game is close.  Takaoka and Villanueva are clutch players.   
I don't like to individualize the great team sport of basketball, but the winner of tonight's contest could determine the SCIAC POY: either Chapman's Takaoka or CMS's  Scammann.  I think Takaoka should get it because her team lost two starters just as the season started and she's put the team on her back in several games this year when her teammates play was sometimes inconsistent.  Scammann has kept her team in games, but Takaoka has been very consistent.

dahlby

CMS starts out strong and leads almost all game with a 78-60 win over Chapman to earn the auto bid.

Box score and write-up at:

www.chapmanathletics.com

GoPanthers

Congratulations to CMS for winning the automatic bid to the NCAA playoffs.  Tough game vs. DePauw, but Chapman has a tough one also vs Whitman.  Hey but we got two teams in and I see the conference to be stronger top to bottom next year.
I just want to say how well the Athena's played Saturday night.  The coaching staff did a nice job implementing their game plan to NOT ALLOW Takaoka to get the ball and smother her when she got it.  It was mostly Barnes did a fantastic job shadowing her.  I mentioned in my previous post who else would step up for CMS and it was a trio of players, Dobbert, Dungca and especially Ray.  Ray controlled the game and made big play after big play when needed.  CMS also shot very well and seemed much more in sync. 
For Chapman, it was a lesson learned on how to handle adversity.  The greatest coach in the world can't teach it because it's an individual as well as a team thing.  When Takaoka was having a difficult time getting open someone else had to step up other than Villanueva and Gao.  Higashigawa did, but the bench didn't produce as they had in the past and there were some costly turnovers form the starters as well as the bench players.  As the lead grew, Chapman mistakes rose.
I believe the Al-SCIAC teams will be announced shortly.  I said previously that Takaoka should be selected as POY.  I also think Coach of the Year should go to Jue.  She did a masterful job guiding this team through the multitude of injuries (two starters out for the season) but it helped develop a deeper bench and lack of experience in some positions.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We are back to our normal Sunday and Thursday Hoopsville shows tonight! Now that we are getting back into our routine, we get back into the habit of featuring the East, Mid-Atlantic, Great Lakes, and West Regions on Thursday night shows (Northeast, Atlantic, Central, and South Regions on Sunday nights). Tonight, Dave McHugh talks with coaches who are succeeding so far this season thanks to a bit of a youth movement. How those squads are either exceeding early expectations or reloading pretty nicely. Dave also gets an assist from Pat Coleman to help cover the much anticipated men's basketball game between No. 1 Augustana at No. 5 Elmhurst which needed overtime to be decided. And Dave talks about the latest Hoopsville partner - the WBCA. With the WBCA coming onboard with the NABC there needed to be some branding changes. You will hear the change almost immediately.

Watch Hoopsville tonight at 7pm ET: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/jan7 - a show that had to be pre-recorded tonight due to other commitments.

Guests and/or topics include (in order):
- Pat Coleman, coverage of No. 1 Augie vs. No. 5 Blue Jays
- Ron Rohn, No. 10 Muhlenberg women's coach
- Lindsay Goldblatt, Cal Lutheran women's coach
- Fajri Ansari, Buffalo State men's coach
- Chris Kibler, Hiram men's coach

You can tune into the podcast after the show airs here::
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

And don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

For the third consecutive year, Hoopsville will air for 12 hours as the regular season enters the final four weeks. Dave McHugh will chat with coaches, administrators, student-athletes, and others involved in Division III basketball from around the country. Other guests will include those who have Division III roots or appreciate the division and the game along with the student-athletes who play the sport.

Hoopsville will air from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. (and maybe later) on Thursday, February 4 live from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can see what guests are scheduled, get more information, and watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/feb4

You can also read the press release about the show: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/hoopsville-marathon-2016

Here is the guest list as we speak. All times are Eastern and subject to change. Additional guests to be added if and when necessary:

TimeGuestSchool
10:15amConnie TilleySt. Norbert (WBB) - WBCA Center Court
10:40amJamie PurdyPeidmont (WBB)
11:00amKeri CarolloUW-Whitewater (WBB) - Nat'l Committee Chair
11:20amBrent PollariSaint Mary's (Minn.) (WBB)
11:40amKent MadsenNo. 21 Wheaton (Ill.) (WBB)
12:00pmRussell LoydRose-Hulman (MBB)
12:20pmKevin BroderickNazareth (MBB)
12:40pmJustin ScottArcadia (MBB)
1:00pmSam HargravesNo. 12 Alma (MBB)
1:20pmLenny ReichMount Union (SID)
1:40pmMaureen WebsterClarkson (WBB)
2:00pmBetsy WitmanYork (Pa.) (WBB)
2:20pmSara LeeDenison (WBB)
2:40pmKlay KneuppelWisconsin Lutheran (MBB)
3:00pmBrian Van HaaftenBuena Vista (MBB) - Nat'l Committee Chair
3:30pmSydney MossNo. 1 Thomas More (WBB)
3:45pmAaron RousellBucknell (WBB) - former Chicago coach
4:00pmTim ShanahanStaten Island (WBB)
4:20Pat CunninghamTrinity (Texas) (MBB) - NABC Coach's Corner
4:50pmBubba SmithSewanee (MBB)
5:15pmBen StrongFormer Guilford All-American
5:30pmKevin ConnorsESPN SportsCenter Anchor - Ithaca alumnus
6:00pmKristen DowlingClaremont-Mudd-Scripps (WBB)
6:20pmAllison ColemanSage (WBB)
6:40pmLandry KosmalskiSwarthmore (MBB)
7:00pmDave NilandNo. 23 Penn State-Behrend (MBB)
7:20pmAaron GallettaLasell (MBB)
7:40pmJohn BaronGwynedd-Mercy (MBB)
8:00pm
8:20pm
8:40pmMelissa HodgdonWheaton (Mass.) (WBB)
9:00pmG.P. GromackiNo. 2 Amherst (WBB)
9:20pmJames Wagner
9:40pmHAPPY HOURFree-for-all of calls, tweets, and fun!

We hope to get at least the full show on a podcast, or several podcast, during the on Friday. You can find it here:

Don't forget you can always interact with us:

And a reminder the Hoopsville Fundraising Project has begun yet again. Please consider helping us cover Division III basketball the way it deserves to be covered. If you can not donate, please don't worry about - we understand. At least share the campaign with anyone you think might be interested: http://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser/x/6029509

Also, if you know any advertisers interested in promoting their company or products on the show, send them our way: hoopsville@d3hoops.com

Thanks!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Alright, folks -- the NCAA's first women's basketball regional rankings are posted. Check out the full list from D3hoops.com:
http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/2016/02/10/first-2016-regional-rankings-released-today/
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The opening day of the 2015-16 basketball season started with a bang. The NCAA announcing major violations by Thomas More which resulted in vacating the entire 2014-15 season including the national championship - the first time in the history of Division III basketball, men or women. Tonight on Hoopsville, continuing coverage of the fallout of that decision including an exclusive one-on-one interview with Coach Jeff Hans of Thomas More.

Plus we take a look at the start of the season and talk with Claremont-Mudd-Scripps women's basketball who is no longer flying under the radar. We also talk to the Trine women who want to take control of the MIAA. Plus we hear from two men's coaches starting anew at Case Western Reserve and SUNY-Canton.

Hoopsville airs live starting at 7:00 PM ET. You can watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/nov17

Guests include:
- Adam Turer, Editor and Contributor for D3hoops.com
- Jeff Hans, No. 4 Thomas More women's head coach (exclusive interview)
- Kristen Dowling, No. 24 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps women's head coach
- Ryan Gould, Trine women's head coach
- Ben Thompson, SUNY Canton men's head coach
- Todd McGuinness, Case Western Reserve men's head coach
- Jeff Burns, Randolph-Macon athletics director (former men's basketball committee chair)

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The saying in the NFL is: "on any given Sunday." The idea being that anyone can win a game no matter the match up because, well, things happen. The same could be true in Division III basketball. On any given night, someone will pull off an upset. And in some weeks we see multiple upsets.

What to make of it all? Tune into Sunday's edition of Hoopsville as Dave tries to make sense of most of it with guests from around the country who can provide their insight.

Also on tap for tonight, can Amherst women run the table? What to make of William Peace men's basketball. And why one coach is highly regarded in the Chinese-American culture.

Tune in starting at 7:00 PM ET here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/jan15 - or via Facebook Live. If you can't watch the show live, you can catch up On Demand once it is off the air or download the podcast via SoundCloud or iTunes.

Guests scheduled (in order of appearance):
- G.P. Gromacki, No. 2 Amherst women's head coach
- Claude Shields, William Peace men's coach
- Carol Jue, Chapman women's coach - WBCA Center Court
- Mark Beinborn, Augustana women's coach
- Ira Thor, New Jersey City SID - Atlantic Regional Reporter

And don't forget about the Hoopsville Mailbag segment! Email questions you may have to the show at hoopsville@d3hoops.com and we will answer them tonight or on a future show.

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:

Gray Fox

Last night I went to the CMS game vs U Texas at Dallas in the first round of the playoffs.  CMS had a very nice victory.
CMS has an exciting team and played swarming defense.
I was especially taken by the 4' 9" point guard  from CMS.

Try to watch this live on your computer tonight,

CMS will be playing Trinity.
Fierce When Roused