BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 14, 2018, 09:55:12 AM
Quote from: wally_wabash on May 14, 2018, 09:08:35 AM
Wabash vs. Wooster: Part V on Thursday in Adrian. 

Why in the world would the NCAA do this?  That makes zero sense and honestly sucks for both schools.

The bummer from my perspective is that it was avoidable in a way that doesn't compromise bracket balance or budgets and didn't require a whole lot of creativity. I think this bracketing was just a little bit lazy.  But this is just the second time Wabash has even been in this tournament, so it's exciting to see the club be a part of it regardless of the draw. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

sigma one

Terrible.  Terrible.  Completely inexcusable.  I have not checked, but is there anywhere else in the entire tournament bracket where two teams who had just played for the conference championship must face one another again in the first round?

Jim Dixon

Quote from: sigma one on May 14, 2018, 10:29:10 AM
Terrible.  Terrible.  Completely inexcusable.  I have not checked, but is there anywhere else in the entire tournament bracket where two teams who had just played for the conference championship must face one another again in the first round?

In our predicted bracket, we did not want a confernce team facing each other until the third round if possible

sigma one

It's the "if possible" that's a key.  It is easily possible to arrange the bracket so that conference foes (who had just played one another five days earlier to decide the conference championship series) do not meet one another in the very first game of the NCAA tournament.  With the two late losses to Wabash it could reasonably be argued that Wooster might have been seeded second instead of first for the games at Adrian.  That would be as simple as moving Otterbein into the #1 slot.  Or Wabash could have been placed at #7, instead of as the 8th seed.  Or that one of the two teams could have been placed at a different site.  The permutations are multiple.
     My cynical side says that the committee reckoned that the Wabash wins were a fluke, and this is a chance for Wooster to get early revenge--the third straight game between the two in less than a week.  My more fan-based side says that Wabash beat them twice and can do so again, that Wabash is on a mini role while Wooster is on a mini decline.  As Wally said, this seems a lazy decision (at best).  Putting my cynical side to rest and assuming that the Committee was unbiased and trying to do a good job they failed here in an obvious head scratcher.
      We will see, of course, but it's just doesn't smell right.   

Dr. Acula

Quote from: sigma one on May 14, 2018, 12:00:27 PM
It's the "if possible" that's a key.  It is easily possible to arrange the bracket so that conference foes (who had just played one another five days earlier to decide the conference championship series) do not meet one another in the very first game of the NCAA tournament.  With the two late losses to Wabash it could reasonably be argued that Wooster might have been seeded second instead of first for the games at Adrian.  That would be as simple as moving Otterbein into the #1 slot.  Or Wabash could have been placed at #7, instead of as the 8th seed.  Or that one of the two teams could have been placed at a different site.  The permutations are multiple.
     My cynical side says that the committee reckoned that the Wabash wins were a fluke, and this is a chance for Wooster to get early revenge--the third straight game between the two in less than a week.  My more fan-based side says that Wabash beat them twice and can do so again, that Wabash is on a mini role while Wooster is on a mini decline.  As Wally said, this seems a lazy decision (at best).  Putting my cynical side to rest and assuming that the Committee was unbiased and trying to do a good job they failed here in an obvious head scratcher.

If Otterbein had won the OAC tourney I would say you might be able to make an argument, but they didn't.  IMO Wooster is the clear #1 in the regional.  Now the slotting of Wabash at 7 versus 8 is much more feasible and, let's be serious, a VERY easy solution to avoid an NCAC retread in the regional opener.  But as I mentioned on the OAC thread, that would result in an overly difficult opener for the 1 seed playing Adrian in their park with Parsons on the mound.  Not sure how fair that reward would be for a top seed.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Dr. Acula on May 15, 2018, 12:05:04 PM
Quote from: sigma one on May 14, 2018, 12:00:27 PM

If Otterbein had won the OAC tourney I would say you might be able to make an argument, but they didn't.  IMO Wooster is the clear #1 in the regional.  Now the slotting of Wabash at 7 versus 8 is much more feasible and, let's be serious, a VERY easy solution to avoid an NCAC retread in the regional opener.  But as I mentioned on the OAC thread, that would result in an overly difficult opener for the 1 seed playing Adrian in their park with Parsons on the mound.  Not sure how fair that reward would be for a top seed.

Thomas More and Wabash are interchangeable 8s in this tournament.  That was an obvious move to make if anybody was really concerned about avoiding opening game rematches. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Pops33

Congrats to Wooster, Denison and Wabash on the great seasons this year.   I believe both Wabash and Denison set a school record for wins this year with 32 (both schools).  Wooster was only one of 4 schools in he country to finish with at least 40 wins, which means that they have had 4 straight seasons of 36+ wins.  Great accomplishment for Wooster's outgoing senior class, with it culminating in a World Series trip.  Memories I am sure the boys will never forget.

The coaching staffs on the teams did an outstanding job.  It was a very good year for NCAC baseball.  Coach Martin, Coach Deegan and Coach Pettorini of course get well-deserved accolades, but the true strength of good programs lie in their assistants' abilities.  Congratulations to all of the players, coaches and staff that  make these programs a success.  Good college baseball is a true joy to watch.

JFPIV

The shortstop from Wooster, Wielansky, was drafted by the Astros in the 18th round!

Bishopleftiesdad

Hiram names new head coach.
http://www.hiramterriers.com/sports/bsb/2018-19/releases/20180711r8lt79
He should be familiar with the NCAC, as he played at Oberlin.

ADL70

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on August 10, 2018, 04:36:24 PM

Was assistant there as well 2013-2015.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: ADL70 on August 12, 2018, 01:05:46 PM
Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on August 10, 2018, 04:36:24 PM

Was assistant there as well 2013-2015.
Yup, I am interested, in where he will take the program

Dr. Acula

I just got on Hiram's website and looked at the pics of their field.  Huge upgrade.  I remember the days of the orange snow fence in the OF at Hiram.  Permanent fence, crushed brick warning track...looks much nicer now.  Hopefully Brua gets things going a little there.

Bishopleftiesdad

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Dr. Acula on August 15, 2018, 11:32:38 AM
I just got on Hiram's website and looked at the pics of their field.  Huge upgrade.  I remember the days of the orange snow fence in the OF at Hiram.  Permanent fence, crushed brick warning track...looks much nicer now.  Hopefully Brua gets things going a little there.
Just checked it out. It fits in well with many other NCAC fields now.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on December 05, 2018, 03:03:20 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on August 15, 2018, 11:32:38 AM
Just checked it out. It fits in well with many other NCAC fields now.

One of my summer players was very impressed with Brua and Hiram.  He ended up narrowing down to ONU and Mount only because he wants to major in engineering.  He said if he didn't want to major in engineering he would have chosen Hiram because of Brua.