BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElRetornodelEspencio

Quote from: Dr. Acula on May 21, 2016, 02:09:59 PM
Woullard threw 142 pitches today.  He threw 70 on Wednesday in relief in their first game.  Good grief. It's like clockwork.  Death, taxes and Pettorini's NCAA pitching moves.

Wednesday to Saturday isn't *that* ridiculous. If he had thrown 40-50 on Wednesday it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

It's not like he threw the same guy 2 days in a row. He's done that before.

And nothing is wrong with the tournament format. Recruit more pitchers that can pitch. It's not like that's a new problem for Wooster. If you extend out the tournament, you completely change the challenge. You can win D1 on basically 2 starting pitchers now, with a 3rd maybe needed for 1-2 starts in the entire NCAA tournament.

Pops33

Wooster finished 17th in the final d3baseball.com poll.  http://www.d3baseball.com/top25/2016/2016Top25-week-final.  They are the only NCAC team that received votes.  Nice to see Wooster get a little respect and move up 9 spots from the last poll.  They had a solid regional, but let one slip away versus #8 Randolph Macon.

Other Mid-East region teams in the top 25 are LaRoche #5 and Rose Hulman #24.  Others receiving votes (in order of total votes) Thomas More, Marietta, Otterbein, and Case Western Reserve.

Bishopleftiesdad

Who will the new coach at Witt be? Jay just left to be AD at st Paris Graham.

Pops33

It will be interesting to see which assistant or current head coaches throw their hats in the ring for consideration.  Although it is not on campus, they do have an outstanding stadium which would be very attractive to any potential candidate.  It would also be an excellent recruiting tool.

http://www.wittenbergtigers.com/information/facilities/Carleton-Davidson-Stadium/index

Dr. Acula

They should get some very nice candidates.  It's a good job.  Nice facilities, a very pro-athletics administration and a good location relative to metro areas for recruiting.  It's definitely a place you can win.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Dr. Acula on June 09, 2016, 04:03:51 PM
They should get some very nice candidates.  It's a good job.  Nice facilities, a very pro-athletics administration and a good location relative to metro areas for recruiting.  It's definitely a place you can win.
I find it strange that they are loosing so many coaches at the same time. I know baseball has been down for a few years. Basketball was not quite as good as they have been in the past last season. (that may be a blip on the radar and not indicative of anything.) Could this be a sign that the bond rating downgrade that Witt received several years ago is finally coming home to roost? One if the findings from that downgrade was that they give out too much aid. Has Witt rolled back on the Aid provided to students, making Witt less competitive when recruiting students. (note the students and not athletes).

Dr. Acula

I can't blame Jay for leaving.  High school AD jobs are tough to come by and that gets you into STRS.  And it's far fewer hours than being a college HC.  I don't know his family situation, but you and your family have to give up a lot to coach at the college level.  Look at Matt Palm.  He built Berg into a really nice program and walked away to spend more time with his family.

I didn't hear about the basketball coach.  Not sure where he went or why. 

Bishopleftiesdad

I do not blame anyone for bettering their situation. I can understand changing jobs to spend more time with family. I have done it myself. I just thought it was a bit coincidental that the BBall coaches leave at the same time and the recent records at both programs.
Witt has been middle of the road in baseball as long as I have been paying attention. They would usually finish 3 or 4 the west. occasionally higher. For many years it was always OWU,Denison, and Witt as the top 3 in the west, Then you had Wabash and Earlham. The last couple of years though, Witt has been just plain bad in baseball. They have been losing many recruits to Otterbein, the last couple of years and some of the other schools in mid Ohio.  Witts roster used to have quite a few very talented players from central Ohio, but those numbers have dwindle. They still have players from around here but they are many times they are second tier guys. 
I know swapping Depauw for Earlham (even though Earlham was very good this year) has shuffled the power in the west, but I did not think Witt would take such a dive. I hope they get a coach soon because this is prime recruiting time. Not so much for calling players but for identifying rising seniors. If they have to wait till the fall they will behind the eight ball.

Joe Wally

Cory Stevens has resigned from his position as the manager of the Wabash baseball team after ten years in charge.

Dr. Acula

Some new blood at Wabash may be a good thing.  That should be another job that draws some nice candidates. 

Bishopleftiesdad

He did a nice job there and took a leadership role in the NCAC in general. I wish him well. He was one of the first to recruit my son. I know the last couple of years has been tough. He brought in a huge freshman class last year. They should be pretty good in not to long.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Joe Wally on June 14, 2016, 10:34:10 AM
Cory Stevens has resigned from his position as the manager of the Wabash baseball team after ten years in charge.
Any idea what he is doing now? Is he going to continue with Baseball.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Joe Wally on June 14, 2016, 01:28:48 PM
The article I saw indicated that he intended to stay in baseball.

http://www.journalreview.com/sports/article_fe04ae66-31d3-11e6-8738-f3f3434b9d1e.html
Looks like he may want to coach with out all the recruiting involved. No offense to Wabash but it cannot be an easy place to recruit for. Baseball does not have the history of success that the football program can. My son liked the idea of a all male school and was very close to going there. It was not Coach Stevens that was the issue. In the end he made the right decision with OWU.

Bishopleftiesdad

But not a good time of the year to be looking for a new coach. D3 recruiting does not start in earnest until later in the summer or early fall, but that is coming fast. I wonder how long Witt and Wabash will take for the search.