FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

As long as he gets the Nova and the stadium, sure. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

abnrgr

HASANOVA

Who is the starting QB this weekend
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade

hasanova

Quote from: abnrgr on September 06, 2013, 05:09:33 PM
HASANOVA

Who is the starting QB this weekend
Unless he's hurt, 99% chance it'll be Sophomore Matt Pawlowski #15.

abnrgr

Sounds like I chose well on my picks. Thanks
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade

jknezek

W&L eeks out a tough one. F&M is good. Maybe not good enough to take JHU two years running, but good enough to make a run at the rest of the CC. With the full summer to prepare for W&L's option attack, it was tough going for the Generals, but a couple huge defensive stands, including a pair of interceptions, a goal line 4th down, and stopping the Dips 2pt conversion in the last minute put the Generals through. Like last year's loss, I'm chalking this one up to home field advantage.

With a bye week before travelling to Centre, I think W&L is in really good shape. The defense looks much better than last year against the pass. The line looks more physical and the coverage seemed better, faster in the back and much tighter. That should stand the Generals well in the pass happy ODAC.

There are still questions about the offensive backfield. I don't see anyone to replace Heinsohn, though Eisenhoffer is going to be good. With the team that had the most prep out of the way, I think W&L will be competitive this year. The ODAC schedule is still against them, but Lexington remains a very hard place to win a game.

onceamink

I agree that F&M is good.  Thought the Generals defense played better as the game went.  The pressure forced the 2pt conversion throw early.

The O has the ability to be physical and that will help in the long run.  QB wasn't quite trusting his reads but that is part of the settling in process with new backs.  Generals looked a bit unorganized, lots of wrong guys on the field, and silly mix ups.  I think those things will get ironed out quickly.  Generals were closed to breaking out at times... 

hasanova

Final Guilford 31, Greensboro 28

Sorry I didn't post sooner ... my computer is in bad shape!

Another close Soup Bowl, as visiting Guilford took the final (of 7) lead change with 73 second to go to secure a 9-8 series lead.  The game started with Guilford fumbling the opening kick-off at the 24 which led to an early 7-0 Greensboro lead.  Later, emotions ran high as Greensboro had seven plays inside the seven in the 4th quarter to take their final lead 28-24 with about 5 minutes to go.  Guilford was assessed three 15-yard penalties on the ensuing kick-off as Greensboro ultimately tried an on-side kick at the Guilford 20!  I've never seen that in my life!  Fortunately for the Quakers, Satiir Stevenson recovered.  The three penalties were assessed because Guilford was upset due to a questionable defensive penalty when they appeared to have held on 3rd down and a later equally questionable 4th down TD call.  The first call gave Greensboro a 1st and Goal and, on 4th down (the 7th play inside the 7), Greensboro was given the go-ahead touchdown on a play that appeared stopped at the 1/2 yard line.  Guilford got the ball back at the 20 with 1:29 to go after each team punted and threw consecutive passes down the right side to Hayden Read for 47 and 33 yards, respectively, in 16 seconds to get the win.

It was another wild one!  Of the 17 games played, four have been decided by 1 point, one game by 2 points, one game by three points, one game on a 25-yard walk-off TD strike in 2OTs and 10 of the 17 games by a touchdown or less.  Stay tuned! 

jknezek

Overall a decent week for the ODAC. Six out of eight stands the conference well. R-MC didn't show much improvement from last year against Johns Hopkins, but that is a tough game to open with, while W&L squeaked past a game F&M team. I'd consider that 1-1 against the top teams faced. E&H destroyed a Ferrum team that has been good the last couple years, but didn't show it on the road.

Other than that, we had 3 teams take care of business against schools that went a combined 1-29 last year. It's real hard to get excited about H-SC, Bridgewater or Catholic right now.

Congrats to Guilford taking back another hard fought Soup Bowl. Shenandoah has a new coach, but same results so far. Gallaudette is a nice ECFC team, but if you are going to be competitive in the ODAC you need to beat that type of team at home.

Next week Shenandoah gets Ferrum, which could be interesting if Ferrum is as bad as they showed against E&H. I think it's more likely Ferrum gets their act together adding to Shenandoah's misery. Bridgewater gets Greensboro on the road, which may be the toughest of the Eagles vaunted OOC opponents. R-MC gets a breather by travelling to Averett. Averett didn't prove to be much of a challenge for H-SC, so if R-MC wants to be an ODAC contender this year this should be a good chance to get on track.

E&H continues their half USASC schedule by hosting Maryville, who is coming off beating up on a first year program. Can E&H follow up a surprisingly strong win with another against a team returning a lot of experience and strong expectations for their USASC season? Guilford also continues their half USASC schedule by travelling to Methodist, a team that fell right in the same area with Greensboro last year. Guilford should piece together another win if they want to challenge in the ODAC this year.

H-SC gets what may turn out to be a premiere matchup at CNU. Given the Captains took care of Salisbury, this could be a real test for H-SC. CNU hasn't really lived up to expectations the last couple years, despite winning the USASC, so this matchup could be a good measuring stick for both teams. Much like F&M and JHU, CNU is one of a very few decent OOC opponents for the ODAC this year, so if winning against Salisbury is an indication of CNU's quality, HSC and Shenandoah's schedule got a bit more challenging.

Finally Catholic and W&L get a second week bye. After the break, Catholic steps up to get Carnegie Mellon, at home. The Tartans are coming off a surprisingly bad loss, but they get the chance to right the ship against an Alleghany team that was soundly beaten by Kenyon. W&L gets a break before boarding the bus to Kentucky. Centre scraped past a Bethany team with low expectations, but Centre will get another shot to build some momentum against a mediocre Rose-Hulman team before hosting the Generals.

hasanova

Agree.  Overall, pleased with the ODAC's 6-2 start.  Hope Shenandoah and RMC can get in the win column in week 2.

Tough 2nd game for the Quakers at Methodist in always sweltering Fayetteville (1 PM in mid-September)!  We'll see if we are a contender this weekend.

CNU85

Quote from: jknezek on September 09, 2013, 09:30:10 AM

H-SC gets what may turn out to be a premiere matchup at CNU. Given the Captains took care of Salisbury, this could be a real test for H-SC. CNU hasn't really lived up to expectations the last couple years, despite winning the USASC, so this matchup could be a good measuring stick for both teams. Much like F&M and JHU, CNU is one of a very few decent OOC opponents for the ODAC this year, so if winning against Salisbury is an indication of CNU's quality, HSC and Shenandoah's schedule got a bit more challenging.

I am looking forward to the game this weekend! I attended the debacle at H-SC last year. Not fun! The crowd should be good....lots of fans for both teams.....tailgating, marching band. Should be an electric weekend!

hasanova

I've become accustomed to a somewhat non-partisan approach by the Public Address Announcer at most football games, so I was a bit surprised to hear the Greensboro announcer quite audibly say "Stick 'em, boys!" on a Guilford kick-off return.  Is this sort of "homer" instinct normal for a Public Address Announcer or did he inadvertently have his mic on?  lol

jknezek

Quote from: hasanova on September 09, 2013, 03:40:31 PM
I've become accustomed to a somewhat non-partisan approach by the Public Address Announcer at most football games, so I was a bit surprised to hear the Greensboro announcer quite audibly say "Stick 'em, boys!" on a Guilford kick-off return.  Is this sort of "homer" instinct normal for a Public Address Announcer or did he inadvertently have his mic on?  lol

I know W&L's try to be pretty impartial, but every now and then something slips through. For the Generals it is usually students doing it over the PA and radio, and the web now since that is essentially the radio feed, so it sometimes depends on the students. Over the years some have been better than others.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on September 09, 2013, 05:58:28 PM
Quote from: hasanova on September 09, 2013, 03:40:31 PM

I know W&L's try to be pretty impartial, but every now and then something slips through. For the Generals it is usually students doing it over the PA and radio, and the web now since that is essentially the radio feed, so it sometimes depends on the students. Over the years some have been better than others.
Ninety-nine percent sure this wasn't a student announcer.  Not a big deal really, just obviously for the home team.

tigerfanalso

Is Bridgewater that good or is St. Vincent really bad ?

BCQBFAN

BC played very well, but St. Vincent was bad.  The Eagles were able to do almost anything they wanted to on offense and their defensive speed overwhelmed SV.  BC did what good teams do though, by taking advantage of every mistake SV made.