FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old wabash

Got video and audio...seems quiet on this board all season!! I know I am usually a lurker but I enjoy the conversation between the guys who know a lot about the game!! Where did you guys go?

HCAlum86

Depauw are looking extremely crisp. No self-inflicted wounds and they capitalize on every Hiram mistake. Very impressive.
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.

bashtownie

Very hard to work with this field position...6/9 drives starting inside the 10 during the second half according to Brent.

aueagle

Just got home....
shocked at the LG score

Wabash1

Wabash started out strong Shamir was running the ball good and some creative play calling jumped out to a 14 point lead then the wheels fell off. Rotated a different running back every series, run jet sweep throw a 2 yard pass to the sideline repeat over and over and over. In my opinion running backs get in a rhythm like quarterbacks and if it's working stay with it. I don't know what has happened to the defense they use to be mean and nasty now it seems like they have no fire. Granted after the firs two offensive series the defense was on the field most of the game but I'm talking more of the attitude on the field. Last 4 or 5 (2010-2015) years when they hit you they finished, talked some smack, and backed it up. Almost always picked up 2 or 3 penalties a game for being a little extra nasty. Now they're helping guys up after the tackle  or give em a pat on the butt not what I'm used too from a Bash defense. Special teams had issues as well you have to try and field the punt if at all possible too many punts were let go that I thought should have been fielded outside the 10 yard line. Anyway, I know they miss Hammer but I think they miss Scola just as much. 9 out of 10 great defenses are flat out mean and nasty and win or lose you knew you were in a war and I think Scola taught that, just a hunch. Wittenberg is very beatable and hopefully they stumble a couple times and Bash can run the table and they can repeat as NCAC champs.

Go Bash!

Wabash1

Oh and you have a big tall quarterback and some big tall receivers for God's sake throw the ball in the middle of the field!

Bishopleftiesdad

Looks like Watt went with a new QB tonight. Jax Harville, a freshman from Marion. OWU wins 29-16. I had hoped for more.

wally_wabash

Alright, long day on the road but here's some Wabash/Witt thoughts. 

- Absolutely perfect start for Wabash today.  The opening set of offensive plays were perfect, had Witt totally reeling.  Then those plays ran out and I'm not sure what the plan was for the remaining phases of the game.  Witt smothered every run from quarter 2 on.  They also had Wabash's pass plays well covered after the first two drives.  I'm not sure if Wabash is getting diagnosed pre snap here or what, but Wittenberg flat out solved the Wabash offense and they should get credit for that.  I'll come back to this point at the end. 

- Thought the Wabash defense did pretty well today, particularly in the second half with the field position situation.  Average defense against that kind of field position disadvantage usually gets run off the field, but Wabash held their own here.  If there's something to pick on here from the defensive side of the ball, it's that I think LBs jumped outside on a few of Kennedy's options when the outside option was already covered.  Wabash was not always assignment sound on these plays and Kennedy was able to take advantage for a few nice plays in spots where Witt had to have them. 

- Have to give credit to Witt WR's.  They made some really nice catches against some good coverage, a couple for big scores.  Those guys made plays today. 

- Specials were dominated by Witt today.  Gingery's punts had Wabash on the long field all day.  Wabash definitely missed a couple of opportunities to save some yards by fielding said punts, but for the most part I'm not sure there's a big difference in this game if Wabash is starting from their own 9 or starting from their own 3 every second half drive.  The one big error was on Gingery's 69-yarder in the 4th quarter.  Wabash finally pushed Witt back far enough to get reasonable field position and maybe get something going to tie the thing up, but that punt bounced and rolled forever and I think it was really deflating.  That drive ended with a Rice interception (trying to make a play there where there wasn't one) deep on the Wabash side of the field which immediately led to a Gingery FG to push the lead out to 10 which was basically the knockout punch.   

So back to the first bullet.  After Albion went bonkers for 300 yards and nearly won in the second half of the first game, I wiped my hands of that.  New coordinators, weird night game, weird scheme to play in the Week 1.  All of that.  This week Witt got hit for 140 yards in two drives, and then locked Wabash up for 137 yards over the last 15 drives (the final 51 minutes of the game) and did it in a way that looked like they knew what was coming.  The LGs got solved like a puzzle again.  It's happened once to the defense which nearly lost a game and it's happened now to the offense which did end up in a loss.  When it happens twice in three games, it's a thing.  I hope the staff can figure out what the tell is here and have future opponents guessing wrong once in a while. 

At the end of the day here, Witt played a better game and got that W.  They got staggered with those two early drives, but showed a lot of guts to hang in there, rally, and close the deal.  Big game there in two weeks against DePauw. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

aueagle

Coach Watts pulls the plug on senior Dom Orsini and goes with frosh Jax Harville.
In his 1st collegiate start. Jax goes 25/42 for 296 yds and 2 TD's in the first
win over the Yeoman in Oberlin. OWU has another verysolid frosh QB from Cleveland
in the wings. GO BISHOPS

aueagle

Guess wally was right a week or so ago on the change...
I thought Watts would go with the veteran for most of the season

Wabash Hokie

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 24, 2016, 11:46:08 PM
Alright, long day on the road but here's some Wabash/Witt thoughts. 

- Absolutely perfect start for Wabash today.  The opening set of offensive plays were perfect, had Witt totally reeling.  Then those plays ran out and I'm not sure what the plan was for the remaining phases of the game.  Witt smothered every run from quarter 2 on.  They also had Wabash's pass plays well covered after the first two drives.  I'm not sure if Wabash is getting diagnosed pre snap here or what, but Wittenberg flat out solved the Wabash offense and they should get credit for that.  I'll come back to this point at the end. 

- Thought the Wabash defense did pretty well today, particularly in the second half with the field position situation.  Average defense against that kind of field position disadvantage usually gets run off the field, but Wabash held their own here.  If there's something to pick on here from the defensive side of the ball, it's that I think LBs jumped outside on a few of Kennedy's options when the outside option was already covered.  Wabash was not always assignment sound on these plays and Kennedy was able to take advantage for a few nice plays in spots where Witt had to have them. 

- Have to give credit to Witt WR's.  They made some really nice catches against some good coverage, a couple for big scores.  Those guys made plays today. 

- Specials were dominated by Witt today.  Gingery's punts had Wabash on the long field all day.  Wabash definitely missed a couple of opportunities to save some yards by fielding said punts, but for the most part I'm not sure there's a big difference in this game if Wabash is starting from their own 9 or starting from their own 3 every second half drive.  The one big error was on Gingery's 69-yarder in the 4th quarter.  Wabash finally pushed Witt back far enough to get reasonable field position and maybe get something going to tie the thing up, but that punt bounced and rolled forever and I think it was really deflating.  That drive ended with a Rice interception (trying to make a play there where there wasn't one) deep on the Wabash side of the field which immediately led to a Gingery FG to push the lead out to 10 which was basically the knockout punch.   

So back to the first bullet.  After Albion went bonkers for 300 yards and nearly won in the second half of the first game, I wiped my hands of that.  New coordinators, weird night game, weird scheme to play in the Week 1.  All of that.  This week Witt got hit for 140 yards in two drives, and then locked Wabash up for 137 yards over the last 15 drives (the final 51 minutes of the game) and did it in a way that looked like they knew what was coming.  The LGs got solved like a puzzle again.  It's happened once to the defense which nearly lost a game and it's happened now to the offense which did end up in a loss.  When it happens twice in three games, it's a thing.  I hope the staff can figure out what the tell is here and have future opponents guessing wrong once in a while. 

At the end of the day here, Witt played a better game and got that W.  They got staggered with those two early drives, but showed a lot of guts to hang in there, rally, and close the deal.  Big game there in two weeks against DePauw.

Wally:

Well said.  I kept wondering when Wabash was going to adjust but any adjustments were not apparent.  Witt's strategy was spot on - force Wabash to throw.  They had the horses to stop the run and it appears that we did not have the horses to execute a passing game. 

The DPU / Witt game will be one to watch.  I have watched two of DPU's games and I think they will beat Witt based on what I saw on Saturday.  For whom the Bell will toll in November is in doubt for the first time several years.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Wabash Hokie on September 27, 2016, 03:34:24 PM
Wally:

Well said.  I kept wondering when Wabash was going to adjust but any adjustments were not apparent.  Witt's strategy was spot on - force Wabash to throw.  They had the horses to stop the run and it appears that we did not have the horses to execute a passing game. 

Nope nope nope.  Wabash has a 6-4 230 QB throwing to a pair of 6-4 skilled WRs on the outside (Page is pretty routinely the best player on the field), a 6-4 223 matchup nightmare TE, and really good flanker/slot receiver.   Not only do they have the horses, they have all of the horses.  Against 98% of D-III, this shouldn't even be fair.  These are the best QB + WR pieces Wabash has had probably since 2009.  So what's going on with the pass offense isn't about the dudes.  Wabash should be destroying people with this part of the offense. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire