Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank uible

Yesterday Middlebury ran 99 offensive plays - 74 of them were passes, yet only scored 10 points. The flow of that game would have been interesting to see.

K-Mack

Quote from: Hawks88 on October 11, 2009, 10:19:15 AM
How rare is it for a team to run 100+ offense plays in a regulation game? Huntingdon has now done it twice in a row with exactly 100 against both Louisiana College and Millsaps and has had one opponent do it, Maryville with 104. I looked back through six seasons of our boxscores and the biggest numbers I found were 88 and 89 with 80 being broken only a few times. I'm not sure if anyone knows or has the time or inclination to research, but it would be interesting to know if what we have done is very unusual.

I can confirm that I do not have the inclination to research, but it is interesting.

I think 90 is the mark of a really good game.

A few years back when the timing rules were shortened, the average fell by 12 to 66 I think ... so if that's true, 78 is an average game?
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Not that this is news, but if we ever organize that list of D3 alumni how we want it, this is handy:

QuoteMcDaniels attended John Carroll University, where he played quarterback and wide receiver for the Blue Streaks from 1995-98. He was a college teammate of Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio, who played quarterback for John Carroll from 1996-99.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

HSC85

K-Mack,

Great article in ATN this week.  I really liked how you gave a balanced look at what can happen on any given Saturday.  My team was on the wrong end of that ODAC tiebreaker in 2008.  But I really have to give credit to Randolph Macon for not giving up and winning games to gain the championship opportunity. 

Devil Badger Gopher

You roke my heart all over again with the reminder of the WIAC 2002 season.  I was playing on the O-Line when the option was called and we did not get it done.  Thank you for the dagger!
2000 WIAC Conference Champs

K-Mack

Quote from: Devil Badger Gopher on October 15, 2009, 05:57:57 PM
You roke my heart all over again with the reminder of the WIAC 2002 season.  I was playing on the O-Line when the option was called and we did not get it done.  Thank you for the dagger!

Yikes, sorry.

If it makes you feel any better, talking to Maynard about losing brought back memories of times my team didn't finish, in the mid-90s.

I still refuse to believe we actually lost a couple games. I know we didn't have more points than the other team, but we were better.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Hawks88

Quote from: Hawks88 on October 11, 2009, 10:19:15 AM
How rare is it for a team to run 100+ offense plays in a regulation game? Huntingdon has now done it twice in a row with exactly 100 against both Louisiana College and Millsaps and has had one opponent do it, Maryville with 104. I looked back through six seasons of our boxscores and the biggest numbers I found were 88 and 89 with 80 being broken only a few times. I'm not sure if anyone knows or has the time or inclination to research, but it would be interesting to know if what we have done is very unusual.
Make that now three in a row. 102 offensive plays for Huntingdon today with 784 total yards along with 91 offensive plays for Westminster.

Mr. Ypsi

I have no clue where to put this post, but thought readers here might be interested.

This coming Saturday is extremely important for playoffs in the North region.  In the HCAC, Mt. St. Joe (4-0) is at (3-0) Franklin, likely for the AQ (I have trouble believing that (3-0) Manchester, loser to Kalamazoo and Earlham, is really a contender).

In the NCAC, (3-1) Wabash visits (3-0) Wooster.  Wooster has a near zero chance of a Pool C, but a win keeps them alive for the AQ.  A Wabash win (after the loss to Witt) keeps their Pool C hopes alive.  A Wabash win, plus a Woo win over Witt might mean a 3-way tie (though 'gheny, among others, might demur); I have no clue what the NCAC procedure is for a 3-way tie where each is 1-1 against the others.

In the OAC, 4-1 Capital goes to 5-0 Otterbein in the battle for Columbus (and after the egg OSU laid against Purdue Saturday, it might be the 'all-division' title! ;D).  Assuming MUC takes the AQ, this could be the battle for a C.

Finally, there are only two (conference) undefeated teams left in the CCIW - Wheaton battles it out at NCC, with the winner in the driver's seat for the AQ, the loser still viable for a C.  (Of course, both still have to face IWU, the only other team with less than two losses, but even my green-tinted glasses say these are the two top teams in the CCIW.  Though I'd happily munch crow on that one! ;))

altor

Likewise, since I can't reply in the "Front-page Surveys" thread, I'll post it here.

Did anyone else grin at the irony of the three "pick the upset" choices on the front page?  Two of them ended in the upset and the third went to OT.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: altor on October 18, 2009, 05:23:54 PM
Likewise, since I can't reply in the "Front-page Surveys" thread, I'll post it here.

Did anyone else grin at the irony of the three "pick the upset" choices on the front page?  Two of them ended in the upset and the third went to OT.

And a majority of voters went with the OT non-upset! ;)

altor

Well, at least a plurality.  </pedant>  :P

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: altor on October 18, 2009, 06:32:17 PM
Well, at least a plurality.  </pedant>  :P

You're right about the final tally.  I hadn't checked the posting in 'Front Page Surveys'; the last I'd noticed before Pat made it final, the Johnnies had about 51% of the votes.

D3_DPUFan

For what it's worth...that is a GREAT picture on the front page of the site...

redswarm81

Quote from: D3_DPUFan on October 19, 2009, 10:30:03 AM

Yeah, okay, levitation is cool, but no front page will ever top the one from a month or so ago with both "A Chorus Line" and "Helmet on Backwards."
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

Knightstalker

Quote from: redswarm81 on October 19, 2009, 10:56:10 AM
Quote from: D3_DPUFan on October 19, 2009, 10:30:03 AM

Yeah, okay, levitation is cool, but no front page will ever top the one from a month or so ago with both "A Chorus Line" and "Helmet on Backwards."

It's a bird, no it's a plane, it's a frog.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).