MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Quote from: hopefan on October 18, 2012, 08:40:03 AM
Magic... hit me up with anything you hear about Grif's engineers..... They'll be out this way in Milwaukee this year, but it conflicts with my 40th anniversary weekend and return trip from the Riviera Maya... think I better stay in St Louis (Not to say I won't see if we arrive St Louis in time to see a tourney doubleheader at Webster that Saturday night....).. Flight getting in at 4:00 PM, games at 6 and 8...

hopefan,
Good to hear from you. I've been lurking on your home board the SLIAC and notice that you seem to have gotten a bigger group of respondents to participate. Good job. Your enthusiasm must be contagious. Rest assured I'll keep you informed of your Engineers as best I can. I see that Milwaukee date is RPI's opening game of the season on Nov. 17th against Rose-Hulman. Second game will be against Caltech or Milwaukee School of Engineering (the host school). Lots of engineers in this tourney. ;D If I were you I'd convince the wife to celebrate the 40th anniversary a week early so you can see your alma mater play when they come west. (Fat chance I know ???) Congrats on the upcoming milestone. MY wife and I had our 40th back in August. Not sure if you saw this news release but your old college coach was just inducted into the Capital District Basketball Hall of Fame. Here's the link to the write up: http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/2012/7/5/MBB_0705120946.aspx

PS: Why don't you join us in the National Pick Em League this year? We've missed you the past couple of years. And don't forget we have to defend our crowns in the Survivor's Pool. I'll also try and help you out on the D3 versus other divisions board when I can.

hopefan

Magic, I won't be doing the D3 vs the world of non D3 stats this year.. when I did them in the past, I had a pretty neat series of spreadsheets with all schedules and downloaded results... could not even approach the necessary time this year....  and I worry that my schedule of seeing numerous SLIAC games would get in the way of the pickem contest.  Was well aware of Coach Kalbaugh's award.. Considered travelling over for it, just couldn't get it arranged...Dubnansky and Laskey (in the picture with Griff and the Kalbaughs) were both one year behind me...we had a great season when I was a junior and they were sophs.. unfortunately the next season ended at .500... we had an arrangement with Plattsburg wherein we scrimmaged with them each year...my junior year we played up there, we went up in several vans... let's just say our van, with no coaches, had a wild trip down the northway back to Troy!!!!    I think of all my experiences playing and coaching at RPI... I really miss that part of the country....nothing in the Midwest matches the beauty of Upstate NY.

The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

thebear

Potsdam roster is up.  8 returnees and 9 new faces.

Two time all conference player Curtis Pierce leads the Bears.  Pierce has been a force for the Bears since he arrived on campus.  Already over 1,000 points, he will take the lead, Pierce is a complete player, scoring, rebounding, defending, a terrific blend of strength and athleticism, will be a tough out for anyone who faces him.

Starters Rob Duquette and Zach Adams also return, and will provide size, strength and length.

Great athleticism and outside shooting mark the newcomers. four class B,C,D all state players, and a couple of talented JUCO's.

Bears do have a brutal first semester, as they face Ithaca, Clarkson, Cortland, Oswego, Buff State, Fredonia and SLU before the semester break.

The Bears need to hold serve at Home before the semester break in order to have a decent season.

They open with a scrimmage vs. Canadian power Algonquin on 11/6, then open at Clarkson vs. Ithaca on 11/16.

Go Bears!
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

magicman

bear,
I hope Pierce has recovered from the injuries that plagued him through much of last season. Four guys who started most games last year are back and this transfer, Williams, looks like he'll have an impact. I see the Peterson kid returns from 2 years ago. Has he bulked up at all? Maybe this is the year the Bears can get back to respectable.  As you stated, tough schedule to start the season.

thebear

Peterson hasn't bulked up much, but he is older and stronger.  To use a quote from "The Replacements" ""he's wiry".

Pierce appears to be fully healed, and I expect him to be a handful for anyone he faces.

Duquette is a specimen, as well.
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Bengalsrule

Quote from: thebear on October 23, 2012, 10:46:09 AM
Pierce appears to be fully healed, and I expect him to be a handful for anyone he faces.

Duquette is a specimen, as well.

A healthy Curtis Pierce is truly a "handful". Last seasons totals of 13.9 points per game and 8.3 boards too boot, for an often injured player with a heart, is truly cause for concern. I can't remember seeing a kid who was hurt, as often as Pierce, still come out and give 110% game after game knowing that in many cases his injuries wouldnt let him finish the contest

I personally witnessed Duquette go 10 of 14 when he scorched my beloved BENGALS for 24 pts (tied his season high) in their last meeting! That healthy pair alone is scary! Hopefully Dec 7th will not be a day when Pierce/Duqette and co. put it all put it together!

magicman

Union College traveling up the Northway today to take on Plattsburgh State at Memorial Hall in their annual scrimmage. It will mark the 2nd scrimmage of the season for Plattsburgh as the Cardinals made a visit to Castleton State last weekend. Plattsburgh was clearly the victor in that matchup but the boys from Union will provide a stiffer test, no doubt. Castleton State plays an up tempo, "lets fire up as many 3 pointers as we can" type of offense similar to the Grinnell College "System". The Cards defense will face a more traditional style of play in today's contest.

Coach Curle has made his final cuts and the team will carry 16 players on this year's roster which has been posted. Lots of talent with 9 returning lettermen, 3 transfers, and 4 freshman. Plenty of size as the Cards have 8 players 6' 4" and taller. The leading rebounder however, is 6' 3"  Jr. forward John Perez (12.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg). Perez was also the 2nd leading scorer on last year's team  and will join 6' 6" Jr. forward Shavar Fields (13.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg), the Cardinals' leading scorer from a year ago, to form a potent 1-2 punch. 5' 8" Sophomore Mike Mitchell (3.7 ppg, 2.0 apg, 14 min.pg)  will most likely run the point and 6' 6" Jr. forward Reggie Williams (4.2 ppg, 4.5 rpg) who started in 25 games last year will probably lock down a starting position once again. Shamoy McIntosh a 6' 2" Sophomore guard who didn't start last year but was the 3rd leading scorer on the team (7.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg) may crack the starting lineup this year. 6' 5" Soph. forward Ezra Hodgson (3.8 ppg) and 6' 2" guard Jordan Moody (3.8 ppg) will both be in the mix and may find themselves in a starting role. Returning players 6' 5" Jr. G/F Anthony Baker (2.3 ppg, 1.8 rpg) and 6' 4" Soph. Forward Gary Tibbs (2.2 ppg, 2.2 rpg) will figure prominently with valuable minutes off the bench.

New on the team this year is 6' 6" Sophomore Forward Alan Siergiej who transferred to Plattsburgh from New Paltz. As a freshman last year Siergiej started 19 out of 26 games for the Hawks and averaged 4.8 ppg, 4.6 rpg and 25.8 minutes per game. He also led New Paltz with 18 blocked shots. Jr. guard 6' 0" Chris Manning is a transfer from D2 LIU Post where he averaged 2.1 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.8 apg and 1.2 steals per game in his only year at the D2 level.  6' 4" Jr. G/F Kalik Parker comes to the Cardinal program from Hudson Valley CC where he earned All Conference and All Region 1st team honors last year. All 3 of these players will provide immediate help for the Cardinals and will be fighting to gain a starting position as well.

The 4 freshman on the team all appear to have strong potential based on my observations of their play in practice sessions. 6' 4" G/F Billy O'Shea from Tappan Zee High School and 6' 1" G Edward Correa, from Mount St. Michael, where he was named to the All Bronx 1st team, both look to be good shooters. 5' 10' point guard Kirk Ottey, an All Conference and All League selection from New Rochelle, and 6' 0"  James Outlaw, a starting point guard from Thurgood Marshall Academy in NYC round out the Cards roster. 

Once again Coach Curle will have tough decisions to make regarding the minutes that various players will receive. A nice dilemma to have, and one that he will face again next year as this year's team doesn't have a single senior on it. If he wanted to, he could throw 3 different 5 man units on the floor and probably not see much of a fall off in production. I'll be surprised if this team doesn't challenge last season's SUNYAC leaders for one of the top spots in the conference.       

jdex

Post-C. Burridge season up and running at Oswego. Stops Queeens Canadiens 67-51 last weekend. H. Ward  center stage as expected, the 6-6, 215 sr posts 22 pts, 7 rebs in 30'. Good stable of returning hands for defending champs, like grad student S. Michele, 6-1, 230 sr C. Gilkes. Two other sr returnees -- 6-7, 215 B. Nollet and guard A. Miribito. And due for more time is 6-4, 190 R. Powell who came off the pine 20 times as a frosh. Three figuring to figure as newcomers: 6-2 fr g E. McLaurin from Poughkeepsie; 6-2, 210 jr swingman D. Ross who played in Virginia last season and hails from Syracuse; 6-4, 200 fr. swingman A. Rawa from Locust Valley. Latter trio all got hefty minutes in the exhibition.

Brockport last weekend enjoys  84-60 tuneup against York, Ont. But Eagles appear to have much different personnel look from a year ago. Get past solid jr g J. Ivy and D. Klein and familiar faces with big past minutes may a tough find. Klein and fellow guard J. Major (27 games, 2 starts) are the lone seniors. Soph L. Legister played in 27 game reserve minutes. O. Adeniran is a 6-6 soph who saw past duty as did 6-4 jr D. Hayden. Two junior additions are g B. Bell of Rochester and 6-2 D. Crawford from Brooklyn. Among fr is 5-8 J. Lorenzo. Bports with big shoes to fill, G. Williams, Green, Jackson, Sisson gone.

Potsdam in exhibition action tonight vs. Algonquin

magicman

Plattsburgh State and Union in a scrimmage over the weekend. Union returns four starters and 7 of their top 8 players from last years team that went 16-9 and finished in 4th place in the Liberty League conference. I really expected a fairly close battle between these two teams as last year they traded halves, with Union winning the 1st 20 minute half by about 20 points and Plattsburgh winning the 2nd 20 minute period by 24 points. With both teams returning a ton of talent I was looking forward to a closely contested game. However the Cardinals dominated this scrimmage winning the 1st 20 minutes by a 15 point margin and taking the 2nd half by 18 points. The entire 16 man Cardinal roster rotated in and out of the 40 minute game with all players seeing a fair amount of floor time. Starters John Perez, Shamoy McIntosh, and Shavar Fields were primary contibutors with returning lettermen Gary Tibbs, and Jordan Moody looking solid as well. Newcomers that showed their stuff were transfers, Kalik Parker, Chris Manning and Alan Siergiej. Freshmen Edward Correa and Billy O'Shea look like they're ready to add some quality minutes off the Card's bench this year. The teams did play a third 20 minute session that had the 4 Cardinal freshman and 1 sophomore playing against the Union starters for more than half of the period. Union won that session by 8 points but I was impressed at how well the Plattsburgh youngsters stayed with the Union upperclassmen. The Cardinal coaching staff, probably wasn't happy about some of the shot selections and the number of turnovers, but had to be pleased with the results of the scrimmage, especially on the defensive end. The Cardinals held Union to under 40 points for the 1st 40 minutes. Not bad against a team that averaged better than 73 ppg last year.       

magicman

D3hoops preseason All America team has been released. Was hoping that Buffalo State's Jake Simmons might get a mention or possibly Oswego State's Hayden Ward but no such luck. No SUNYAC player made it on any of the four teams or the honorable mention list. Fortunately the real list comes out in March so our guys have plenty of time to make a lasting impression. Last year we had 5 different players make the D3hoops Team of the Week. Three of those players are back for another season and hopefully all will have outstanding seasons. I know after watching Jake Simmons play for the past 3 years I'd take him on my team over a number of other  guards on the preseason AA teams.   

Hartwick's Jared Suderly was named to the 1st team. Ithaca's Sean Rossi was named to the honorable mention list. The only other player from the East region is Rochester's John DiBartolomeo, who received a 2nd team nod. Here's a link to the complete list:

http://d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/preseason-2013

thebear

POTSDAM - The SUNY Potsdam men's basketball team used a second half surge to claim a 71-51 decision over Algonquin College (Ottawa, ON, Canada) in an exhibition matchup Tuesday evening. Senior guard Mark Lake Jr. (Harlem, N.Y./All Hallows HS/Monroe CC/St. Joseph's Indiana)  led the Bears in scoring with 13 points.

The Bears struck first in the game behind a three-pointer from Lake. Both teams battled back-and-forth as Potsdam tried to find a rhythm and settle in for its first of the season. The Bears were able to generate an eight-point lead late in the first half. However, the Thunder responded and closed the gap going into halftime, 34-32.  Potsdam had a difficult first half in the paint, but covered by hitting 7 treys in the first 20.

The second half went the Bears way as they went on a five-minute,17-2 run sparked by 6'5" junior forward Rob Duquette (Peru, N.Y./Peru CS) and 6'6" senior forward Corey Ellis (Beacon, N.Y./Delaware Valley College). Potsdam found their groove as they converted on several key opportunities and locked down the Thunder's offensive threats. The Bears defense held Algonquin to 20 percent shooting in the second half and caused 23 turnovers on the night.

Potsdam 6'8" junior forward Colin Peterson (Hilton, N.Y./Hilton CS) totaled 12 points and eight rebounds. Senior guard Josh Lambert (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and Duquette both added 11 points to round out the top scorers for the Bears.

Potsdam opens the regular season on Friday, Nov. 16, against Ithaca College at 8 p.m. in the first round of the North Country Invitational at Clarkson University.
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Pat Coleman

Quote from: magicman on November 07, 2012, 06:28:00 PM
D3hoops preseason All America team has been released. Was hoping that Buffalo State's Jake Simmons might get a mention or possibly Oswego State's Hayden Ward but no such luck. No SUNYAC player made it on any of the four teams or the honorable mention list. Fortunately the real list comes out in March so our guys have plenty of time to make a lasting impression. Last year we had 5 different players make the D3hoops Team of the Week. Three of those players are back for another season and hopefully all will have outstanding seasons. I know after watching Jake Simmons play for the past 3 years I'd take him on my team over a number of other  guards on the preseason AA teams.   

Hartwick's Jared Suderly was named to the 1st team. Ithaca's Sean Rossi was named to the honorable mention list. The only other player from the East region is Rochester's John DiBartolomeo, who received a 2nd team nod. Here's a link to the complete list:

magicman -- barring a favorable appeal, Jake Simmons is out of eligibility.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

magicman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 08, 2012, 01:40:29 PM
Quote from: magicman on November 07, 2012, 06:28:00 PM

magicman -- barring a favorable appeal, Jake Simmons is out of eligibility.

Thanks Pat, I found that out late last night and realized that probably had a lot to do with Jake not getting a mention on the D3hoops teams. Hopeful that this fine young man does get a favorable appeal. Certainly has a number of extenuating circumstances that would-should, merit one. 

jdex

Preparing for Cortland should not be all that difficult, he said tongue in cheek. Just bring out last seaon's game films. Twelve RDragons return from that 22-7 squad that finished runnerup to Oswego and won 14 of its last 17. Heading the cast: all-stars J. Winter (14.8 ppg, 122 assts, 49 3s) and B. Manning (13.2 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 67 3s) plus J. Smith (13.2ppg, 65 3s) and H. Hefele (9.1 ppg, 35 3s). That's the senior backcourt. G. Spendijian is a veteran jr guard. Battle-tested frontliners: 6-5 jr K. McMahon (7.3 ppg), 6-8 sr D. Sternkopf, 6-4 jr. J. Connolly, 6-4 jr M. Kearney, 6-8, 275 soph M. Brown and 6-7, 220 soph M. McGowan. Roster lists returning soph guard T. J. Hefele a captain along with Winter and Manning. Four frosh and a soph round out 17 man crew.

Corts open Thursday at Elmira and travel to Utica for a Saturday matinee. Late December finds Coach Span taking his roundballers to Daytona Beach for action vs. Ursinus and Embry-Riddle.

Bengalsrule

Quote from: jdex on November 11, 2012, 09:09:39 PM

Preparing for Cortland should not be all that difficult, he said tongue in cheek. Just bring out last seaon's game films. Twelve RDragons return from that 22-7 squad that finished runnerup to Oswego and won 14 of its last 17. Heading the cast: all-stars J. Winter (14.8 ppg, 122 assts, 49 3s) and B. Manning (13.2 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 67 3s) plus J. Smith (13.2ppg, 65 3s) and H. Hefele (9.1 ppg, 35 3s). That's the senior backcourt. G. Spendijian is a veteran jr guard. Battle-tested frontliners: 6-5 jr K. McMahon (7.3 ppg), 6-8 sr D. Sternkopf, 6-4 jr. J. Connolly, 6-4 jr M. Kearney, 6-8, 275 soph M. Brown and 6-7, 220 soph M. McGowan. Roster lists returning soph guard T. J. Hefele a captain along with Winter and Manning. Four frosh and a soph round out 17 man crew.

Wow. Not a bad returning cast. You start out with the best backcourt in SUNYAC...and you just keep adding to it! ;)

Corts open Thursday at Elmira and travel to Utica for a Saturday matinee. Late December finds Coach Span taking his roundballers to Daytona Beach for action vs. Ursinus and Embry-Riddle.