MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: markerickson on October 20, 2010, 11:59:18 AM
Nobody bit on Sager's statement that Elmhurst has the midwest's best big man.

I'm never quite sure whether you're kidding or not, Mark, but if you are, I've gotta say that this was a pretty good one. ;) :D

In case anyone's wondering, here's what I said about Crane, piggybacking upon AndOne's initial appraisal of the incoming Elmhurst transfer:

Quote from: AndOne on October 12, 2010, 11:01:11 PM
Steve Crane, formerly of D2 Lewis and, like Fendley, a product of York HS, began to emerge as a HS junior and followed that up with a solid senior season following which he received his scholarship from Lewis. However, after his arrival at Lewis U, he seemed to hit the wall so to speak in that his development became rather stagnant. In summer league action in Des Plaines before his freshman season, and I believe also prior to his soph season, he was frequently outplayed by shorter, lighter D3 players. He also developed a fondness for playing (ineffectively) away from the basket rather than underneath where he had proficiently displayed his talents at York. He quickly fell out of favor with Coach Trost at Lewis, and never saw much playing time. I believe, if pressed, Coach Trost would agree that Crane's ability to play at the D2 level was a reach at best, and D3 was where he should have been all along. Given the general lack of contribution from any bigs for EC last year, I'm sure Mr. Crane will be given a substantial opportunity by Coach Scherer this season.    

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 13, 2010, 04:46:01 PM
I've heard the same thing about Crane. "Immediate impact player" might be a stretch to describe him; it depends upon how you define "impact player," I suppose [Bob had earlier described Crane as "an immediate impact player" -- GS]. Not everybody who gets a D2 scholarship really deserves one, in the sense of that particular player being too good for D3. As Mark says, Crane's got a great chance to step in and start right away at size-starved Elmhurst. I don't think that Mark Scherer really wants to relive last season's ordeal of starting a 6'3, 190 center, and unless one of the three bigs who played JV last year (Erik Dornfeld, Doug Small, and Rich Thomas) has dramatically improved or the other big who transferred in (6'7 sophomore Jahbril Scott, who was on the roster for NAIA-2 Berea College last year) is better and is also a center-only player, it looks as though it's Crane's job to lose.

Moving right along ...

Quote from: markerickson on October 20, 2010, 11:59:18 AMCrane, a 6'8" D2 transter, did not play last year and rarely found the bucket in 08-09.  Given Crane's lack of productivity over the last two years, I'll go with the proven Sexaur instead.

I'll go with Tim McCrary.

Quote from: markerickson on October 20, 2010, 11:59:18 AMI perused the Carthage roster.  Yes, Malcolm Kelly made NP's guards look lost when Carthage visited Foster and Kedzie.

Malcom Kelly did indeed have a very strong game against NPU in Chicago, but the Vikings then went on to hold him in check in Kenosha. In the latter game, Kelly scored eight points on eight shots from the field in 28 minutes of action. He had four rebounds and a steal, and no assists. That's a pretty undistinguished stat line.

Kelly's a very solid player, and he gives Bosko an outstanding third backcourt option besides Steve D. and Max Cary.

Quote from: markerickson on October 20, 2010, 11:59:18 AMYes, Stevie D cannot be stopped by anyone except the refs, but that never happens.

Ain't gonna happen this year, either. Get used to it, everybody.

Quote from: markerickson on October 20, 2010, 11:59:18 AMYes, Max Cary can create matchup problems.

Cary is a load and a half to handle. I think that Steve Marovich's preseason profile of Carthage hit the nail on the head when it said that Cary might've made the All-CCIW team if he hadn't missed five games due to mononucleosis.

Quote from: markerickson on October 20, 2010, 11:59:18 AMYes, Pierce and Guzman have girth.

Perhaps too much girth. Over the summer I heard that Pierce looked like he was twenty or thirty pounds over his playing weight of last season. Perhaps he's slimmed back down since then. We won't know unless we get a visual confirmation from someone up in Kenosha.

Quote from: markerickson on October 20, 2010, 11:59:18 AMHowever, I don't see this roster warranting such a lofty preseason slot.  But they do have a might fine head coach!

Speaking only for myself, of course, I don't have any issues with Carthage being given a preseason top ten ranking. Based upon the facts that: a) the Red Men won the CCIW and the CCIW tourney and went on to make the Sweet Sixteen; and b) the only players that Bosko lost from last year's team were role players Cody Hilton, Adam Tolo, Richard Williams, Steve Ideran, and Eric Moore (most of whom weren't even in the rotation at season's end), I think that a preseason top ten ranking for Carthage is warranted. But it's only a preseason top ten ranking; it plus $3.50 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Millikin roster and schedule...

http://www.millikin.edu/sites/athletics/mbasketball/Pages/Roster.aspx

http://www.millikin.edu/sites/athletics/Pages/SportSchedule.aspx?TeamID=Men's%20Basketball

I don't see Colby Long (8.7 ppg, 22-51 3-pt, .431) on the 2010-11 roster.  I thought he might be Millikin's best player this year.

North Central is the only CCIW school that hasn't posted a 2010-11 roster yet.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on October 20, 2010, 02:46:08 PM
Millikin roster and schedule...

http://www.millikin.edu/sites/athletics/mbasketball/Pages/Roster.aspx

http://www.millikin.edu/sites/athletics/Pages/SportSchedule.aspx?TeamID=Men's%20Basketball

I don't see Colby Long (8.7 ppg, 22-51 3-pt, .431) on the 2010-11 roster.  I thought he might be Millikin's best player this year.

Holy cow! Three of the seven regulars from Millikin's 2009-10 squad who had remaining eligibility have apparently elected not to return this season: Colby Long, Sedric Ferguson, and Frank Schmitz. The only starter who is back is Rodney Clark, and the only three returning reserves from last season who saw any varsity time whatsoever are Kyle Taylor, Justin Thompson, and Derron Wooten. Even the fringe players who managed to get a few minutes of varsity tick here and there have abandoned the Big Blue ship. Unsurprisingly, Clark, Taylor, Thompson, and Wooten are the only four players listed on the Big Blue roster who have numbers assigned to them.

Millikin returns a grand total of 264 points, 115 rebounds, and 1,126 minutes from last season's team. That averages out to 10.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg, and 45 mpg (out of a possible 200) returning. Millikin is by far the CCIW team that has had the biggest roster turnover coming into this season.

Of the seventeen players listed on the MU roster, two are seniors (Thompson and Taylor), one's a junior (Wooten), and three are sophomores (Clark, presumed transfer Kelvin Jacobs, and 2009-10 JVer Jaaron Holmes). The other eleven are frosh.

Looks like Marc Smith, Anthony Figueroa, and Tanker Wade have their work cut out for them this year.

Also, the Big Blue won't have a lot of size; the 6'6 Taylor and 6'7 freshman Urbane Dunlap (my new favorite CCIW name) are the only players listed who are taller than 6'4. That's nothing new for Millikin, of course; over the past dozen seasons the Big Blue have had a tendency to be pretty small by CCIW standards. But it'll make for a really interesting dynamic when MU faces Augie.

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Roster totals by class...

Augustana (22)
FR - 7
SO - 5
JR - 7
SR - 3

Carthage (28)
FR - 15
SO - 8
JR - 3
SR - 2

Elmhurst (24)
FR - 6
SO - 8
JR - 6
SR - 4

Illinois Wesleyan (26)
FR - 10
SO - 4
JR - 6
SR - 6

Millikin (17)
FR - 11
SO - 3
JR - 1
SR - 2

North Central - no roster posted

North Park (28)
FR - 15
SO - 3
JR - 8
SR - 2

Wheaton (18)
FR - 9
SO - 2
JR - 3
SR - 4

So there are 73 freshmen on these 7 rosters, and AndOne has reported that NCC has 19 freshmen.  Doesn't 92 freshmen have to be some sort of CCIW men's basketball record??

There are going to be some very good intramural teams across the league in a couple years.

Gregory Sager

Millikin actually has two seniors, and North Park has two seniors and eight juniors. But, yeah, these are some impressively-sized freshman classes. For a league that consists of pricey private schools that are fighting to draw students in the midst of a long-term economic downturn, that's some pretty good recruiting on the part of those eight coaching staffs.

John Gleich

Quote from: Titan Q on October 20, 2010, 07:00:58 PM
Augustana (22)

Carthage (28)

Elmhurst (24)

Illinois Wesleyan (26)

Millikin (17)

North Park (28)

Wheaton (18)

...AndOne has reported that NCC has 19 freshmen

Basketball is still 5 on 5, right?

Even if each school has a full JV team and schedule, there are going to be a lot of kids riding the pine.  Grinnell doesn't even have rosters as big as some of these (They've got 23 listed).
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Gregory Sager

Quote from: PointSpecial on October 20, 2010, 11:18:36 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on October 20, 2010, 07:00:58 PM
Augustana (22)

Carthage (28)

Elmhurst (24)

Illinois Wesleyan (26)

Millikin (17)

North Park (28)

Wheaton (18)

...AndOne has reported that NCC has 19 freshmen

Basketball is still 5 on 5, right?

Even if each school has a full JV team and schedule, there are going to be a lot of kids riding the pine.  Grinnell doesn't even have rosters as big as some of these (They've got 23 listed).

Yep. Traditionally, CCIW coaches over-recruit, in order to compensate for the attrition that affects all eight programs on an annual basis. But they usually don't over-recruit this successfully ... and not all at the same time. Augie and Elmhurst are the only two schools with more-or-less standard-sized freshman classes. When even Wheaton -- the school that always seems to have the smallest roster in the league -- is pulling in nine new freshmen, you know something's up. (Of course, Wheaton has a thin crop of returnees, so Mike Schauer really needs those nine new faces. Freshman depth is not a luxury for him this season, it's a necessity.)

There will be heated competition just to get junior varsity tick this year around the CCIW.

The Roop

With Grinnells 3 full lines, and the occasional normal substitution, they typically play 18 a game. So if you're on that roster you will likely see the court. Most teams, however, only go 10 deep. While numbers are great, it's usually a smaller figure at seasons end due to lack of playing time.
Ist Ihre Tochter achtzehn bitte

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 20, 2010, 03:45:50 PM
Millikin returns a grand total of 264 points, 115 rebounds, and 1,126 minutes from last season's team. That averages out to 10.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg, and 45 mpg (out of a possible 200) returning. Millikin is by far the CCIW team that has had the biggest roster turnover coming into this season.

To put this in perspective, IWU returns 2232 points, 1014 rebounds, and 5668 minutes...72 ppg, 33 rpg, and 183 mpg (out of a possible 200).

John Gleich

Quote from: The Roop on October 20, 2010, 11:44:42 PM
With Grinnells 3 full lines, and the occasional normal substitution, they typically play 18 a game. So if you're on that roster you will likely see the court. Most teams, however, only go 10 deep. While numbers are great, it's usually a smaller figure at seasons end due to lack of playing time.

Absolutely... so you pretty much know if you're on the roster at Grinnell, you're going to get some playing time.

If you're #28 on the depth chart at Carthage or North Park...  you may only see the court in a JV blowout
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

markerickson

Thanks very much for posting those minutes played and points scored for Millikin and IWU, Greg and TitanQ.  Stats like that are greatly appreciated!
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

all blues

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 20, 2010, 11:00:19 PM
Millikin actually has two seniors, . But, yeah, these are some impressively-sized freshman classes. For a league that consists of pricey private schools that are fighting to draw students in the midst of a long-term economic downturn, that's some pretty good recruiting on the part of those eight coaching staffs.

Disheartened at Millikin's recruiting class, especially compared to its' peers, I embarked on a journey of discovery, to see if perhaps Coach Smith's roster held some hidden nuggets.  After unearthing the tidbit below right off the bat (Damion Boyd), I believe that I will just cease and desist and go away quietly...*sigh*

http://www.badjocks.com/blog/labels/locker%20room.html 3rd item on page

Before anyone else says it, I guess "steals per game" is not always a desireable statistic, although you have to like FTA/FTM ratio of 80% (felony thefts attempted (5) and made (4)

Titan Q

Quote from: all blues on October 22, 2010, 08:55:45 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 20, 2010, 11:00:19 PM
Millikin actually has two seniors, . But, yeah, these are some impressively-sized freshman classes. For a league that consists of pricey private schools that are fighting to draw students in the midst of a long-term economic downturn, that's some pretty good recruiting on the part of those eight coaching staffs.

Disheartened at Millikin's recruiting class, especially compared to its' peers, I embarked on a journey of discovery, to see if perhaps Coach Smith's roster held some hidden nuggets.  After unearthing the tidbit below right off the bat (Damion Boyd), I believe that I will just cease and desist and go away quietly...*sigh*

http://www.badjocks.com/blog/labels/locker%20room.html 3rd item on page

Before anyone else says it, I guess "steals per game" is not always a desireable statistic, although you have to like FTA/FTM ratio of 80% (felony thefts attempted (5) and made (4)

Oh my gosh.

Titan Q

IWU scrimmages @ Olivet Nazarene at 9:00 tomorrow morning.  The varsity and JV will play simultaneously in different gyms.

haterinthehouse

I am all for giving a young man a second chance, and that there is always two sides to a story, but I cannot imagine that this is the type of image/player that Millikin U can be proud of