BB: General New England Discussion

Started by Paul Heering, February 14, 2007, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfan77

Quote from: TheGNAC on February 12, 2009, 06:53:07 PM
TheGNAC's 2009 New England Region Preview

Hello everyone, it's that time again. Here are my 2009 rankings, with little write-ups for all the top 10 teams. This took a lot of effort and research, so all comments and critiques are welcomed.

1. Trinity - 45-1 - What are these guys going to do for an encore? Walk on water? The Bantams went 45-1 (!) in 2008, the greatest season in recorded collegiate baseball history. They won the NESCAC. They won the New England regional. They won the College World Series. Really, the only way they can improve upon 2008 is by finishing 46-0, and I don't see that happening. Still, they're the consensus #1 team in New England, and for good reason. Although they graduated 3 of their top 4 arms from last year, their offense is still one of the most formidable in New England, led by pre-season All-American C Sean Killeen and junior 1st baseman Kent Graham, who combined for 16 homers and 102 RBI in 2008. On the mound, the Bantams return Jeremiah Bayer, another pre-season All-American, who turned in an outstanding stat line of 9-0, 1.33 ERA, 71 K's in 81 innings pitched. I don't know if the Bantams will finish the year ranked 1st, but there's no other spot to put them right now.

2. Eastern Connecticut - 32-15-1 - The Evil Empire, as they've come to be known around these LEC-heavy parts, turned in a strong campaign in 2008, with a 32-15-1 mark and yet another trip to Harwich for the New England regionals. What is impressive about that feat however, is most of it was accomplished without the aid of Shawn Gilblair on the mound. The senior captain is already one of the most decorated players in Eastern's celebrated history, and is perhaps division III's premier two-way player. The lefthander did his usual damage at the plate, hitting .403 and belting 12 long balls to lead EConn's offense. Expect more of the same from Gilblair in 2009, as well as an impressive line on the mound. Aiding Gilblair on offense are SS Melvin Castillo, the 24 year old junior who can hit as well as anybody in New England, as well as co-captain 1B Tristan Hobbes, as steady as they came both at the plate and in the field. It should be interesting to see what happens with the pitching staff in 2009, as aside from Gilblair, there are a number of question marks. 9 game winner Jimmy Jagodzinski is reportedly gone (with eligibility remaining), as is Joe Esposito, plucked to the professional ranks. James Kukucka finished 2008 with a 6-1 mark in 47.1 innings, but I'm not sure he has the stuff to be the #2 EConn needs. Chris Wojick was a stud out of the bullpen last season, but it remains to be seen if he will make the transition to starting in 2009. Still, Eastern has the offense to hang with anybody, and if Coach Holywater (thanks word) can work his usual magic, expect EConn to find themselves playing for a regional title yet again in May.

3. Southern Maine - 36-14 I hesitated between putting USM 2nd and EConn 3rd, but in the end, Gilblair was the deciding factor. That's not to say USM doesn't have their own studs, of course. USM has yet to post their 2009 roster online, but the fact remains the majority of their contributors in 2008 were underclassmen, as the team went 36-14 en route to playing in the regional title game in May, before falling to eventual national champ Trinity. Southern Maine has perhaps the most potent offense in New England (and possibly the country), and any pitcher worth his salt will be having nightmares about pitching to the heart of their order. Anthony D'Alfonso is USM's most potent hitter, and the big man is going to have a tough time improving upon his 2008 totals, which saw him post .393, 15 HR, 62 RBI totals. Also back is Chris Burleson, one of the best players in the LEC since he arrived on campus in 2005. The IF/OF posted .383/9/50 totals in 08, and should once again do some serious damage with the stick in 09. It would take up much too much space to go through USM's lineup, as 1-9 they're as dangerous as any team in the country. What remains to be seen however is how they'll fair on the mound, as they don't have a clear-cut #1 stud like Trinity and Econn do. From my understanding, Collin Henry is their best bet in that regard, but in the end it might not matter, as USM managed 36 wins last year with a staff ERA og 5.13. They might just hit their way to Wisconsin.

4. Wheaton - 34-10 One of the lesser-talked about, yet always potent clubs in New England, Wheaton once again looks to be a contender in 2009. The boys from Norton, MA ran up an impressive 34-10 mark in 2008, and should be the team to beat in the NEWMAC once again. One of the least talked about, but perhaps most intriguing, storylines regarding the 2009 season is the return of Louie Bernardini to the Wheaton baseball team. Bernardini took a DNP in 2008, and is back for his final season of eligibility in 2009. The tall righthander is one of the best arms in Wheaton's short but prolific history, with a 14-6, 2.47 ERA in 171 career innings pitched. He's twice been named to the NEIBA All-Region team, and was named the NYCBL's Pitcher of the Year in the summer of 2006. Bernardini is on a short list of the top arms in the region, and his return should give Wheaton a much-needed boost on the mound. Also returning is All-American Adam Gingras, he of the 10-1, 2.09 career stat-line. Gingras was a perfect 8-0 on the bump in 2008, and has been named a D3Baseball.com pre-season All-American. Wheaton might have the region's best 1-2 punch, and as we all know, pitching wins championships. Throw in veteran arms like Nick Kostaras, Jared Barnes, and Josh Simmons, and you have one of the best pitching staffs in the country. I'm not sure if Wheaton has the offense to hang with the top teams in New England (Southern Maine's D'Alfonso almost out-homered their entire club in 2009), but when you can pitch and play defense like they can, it doesn't really matter. They're my dark horse selection to represent New England at the 2009 World Series.

5. Keene State - 34-11 I know this might make some of the KSC'ers upset, but I think this ranking is justified. The Owls have emerged as a powerhouse not only in the LEC but also in New England, making a trip to Harwich in May an annual rite of passage. Still, has their window to the World Series come and gone? With their losses on the mound, I fear it has. Look, the Owls can hang with anybody on offense, as they rival USM in that category. With hitters like Bobby Doyon (.408-6-50), Joe Rousseau (.405-0-35), and Beau Darak (.296-13-50) leading the way, expect some football-like scores to follow KSC in the box scores. They absolutely will hit the ball this season. The question is, will they pitch well? Gone is Jamie Morin, KSC's crafty southpaw. Too is enormous Phil Mabey, who, despite struggling in his final year at the swamp, now finds himself poised to sign a professional contract once he's through in the Arizona Winter League. Gone too is Greg Ford, one of the best two-way players in the LEC last year. Does Aaron Laplante (5-0, 2.77 ERA in 39 IP) have what it takes to be a #1 stud in the LEC? I'm not sure. Still, you can never count the Swampies out, and I fully expect them to once again make the trip to Harwich in May.

6. Suffolk - 29-12 As the name implies, I'm a GNAC guy. I see more games in this conference than any of the others. Still, I think this ranking is the absolute LOWEST the Rams should be, and I could definitely see them jumping into the top 4 come May. Keep in mind, Suffolk finished 2008 at 29-12 and was ranked #3 in New England in the final regional rankings before the selections were made, and if they hadn't imploded in the GNAC tournament against St. Joe's, they would have been in Harwich, too. The Rams return the majority of their record-setting squad from 2008 (they were the 1st and only team to ever run the table in the GNAC regular season, 12-0), although gone are #1 Steve Durant and perennial All New England selection Nick Martinho. Still, they have more than enough offense to hang with anybody in the region, led by junior captain Bobby Barrett (.363-3-28), SS Jose Alejandro (.333-0-26), and OF Keith Carter (.322-3-29). Suffolk also has the wheels to steal almost at will, as evidenced by their 86 stolen bags in 104 attempts last year. On the mound, Suffolk is led by 2nd team All New England selection Dan Delia (7-3, 1.68 ERA, 47 K in 64.1 IP). Also returning is senior left hander Reid Jackson, who has complied a 12-3 mark over the last 2 seasons, including wins over regional teams Southern Maine and Montclair State in 2008. Much like previous seasons, Suffolk will play one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country, with Southern Maine, Eastern Connecticut, Trinity, Rowan, and Keystone all on the schedule before their spring trip is over. The Rams have a lot of depth both on the mound and in the field, and I expect them to regain their spot atop the GNAC once May rolls around.

7. St. Joe's (Maine) - 28-18 - The Monks made their inaugural season in the GNAC count, winning the conference tournament as a #4 seed and finding their way to Harwich yet again, for the 3rd year in a row. In 2009 though, I'm not sure that streak will continue. Gone is All-World shortstop Luke Enman, one of the premier players in the country and one of the best shortstops I've ever seen at the D-3 level. Enman finished his school-boy career as inarguably the best position player in SJC history, and if it weren't for a kid named Charlie Furbush (RHP Detroit Tigers), he'd be their best ball player, period. Enman went out in style in 2008, finishing with a .368-7-41 line, while playing near-flawless defense. Make no mistake, he was the straw that stirred the Monks offensive-drink, and his loss is pretty much irreplaceable. They'll certainly try, though, led by Ben Grant-Roy (.367-7-41). Seems every year somebody emerges from the 50 or so players coach Will Sanborn keeps around, and 2008 should be no different in that regard. It's a different story on the mound for the Monks though, as back is former Maine Blackbear Pat Moran, who posted an up-and-down 4-5, 3.88, 43 K's in 48 IP line in 2008. Moran's a 6'4 righthander, and perhaps the closest thing to a power pitcher in D-3, with a fastball in the upper 80's and a devastating curveball. Expect his 2nd year in the GNAC to be an easier transition. Also returning is LHP Andrew Keirstead, who emerged as the Monks certified Suffolk-killer in 2008, beating the Rams twice in 2 weeks to leave them home come regional selection time. Keirstead was 6-3 in 08 while leading the staff in innings pitched, and he should once again help anchor the Monks plentiful pitching staff.

8. Williams - 24-12 The Ephs had an interesting campaign in 2008, going 24-12 but missing the regional tournament despite many prognosticators having them pegged as shoe-ins after their March trip. Still, the Ephs graduated just 5 seniors last season, and many key players have returned. On the mound they're led by Dan Benz, who has been one of the best pitchers in New England over the last 2 seasons. In 2008, he compiled a 6-2, 3.36 ERA with 56 K's in 59 IP. Perhaps most impressively, he limited hitters to just a .198 BA last year. He's a #1 of the Gilblair-Bayer-Bernardini/Gingras scale. Also returning is Ben Horowitz, who trailed only Benz in IP in 2008. The Eph's don't pack the punch that much of the rest of this list does, as they managed just 11 long balls in 2008. Still, their .327 team batting average is nothing to scoff at, although the departures of Max Pinto and James DiCosmo will hurt the Ephs, as OF and 2nd baseman combined to hit .388 and .382 with 5 of the club's 11 home runs. Back is Al Matthews (.384-1-30), but after that, much is left to be desired.

In the mix: Tufts, Amherst, Western New England, Roger Williams, Worcester State, Babson

New England Pitcher of the Year: Jeremiah Bayer, Trinity
New England Player of the Year: Shawn Gilblair

Great write up...Just one little thing I think Mark Schmidt will be USM #1 this year...Herny will be #2 and T. Therrian will be #3...Also long as they stay healthy they should be fine at the top of the rotation...

TheGNAC

Quote from: hockeyfan77 on February 12, 2009, 08:03:50 PM

Hello everyone, it's that time again. Here are my 2009 rankings, with little write-ups for all the top 10 teams. This took a lot of effort and research, so all comments and critiques are welcomed.

1. Trinity - 45-1 - What are these guys going to do for an encore? Walk on water? The Bantams went 45-1 (!) in 2008, the greatest season in recorded collegiate baseball history. They won the NESCAC. They won the New England regional. They won the College World Series. Really, the only way they can improve upon 2008 is by finishing 46-0, and I don't see that happening. Still, they're the consensus #1 team in New England, and for good reason. Although they graduated 3 of their top 4 arms from last year, their offense is still one of the most formidable in New England, led by pre-season All-American C Sean Killeen and junior 1st baseman Kent Graham, who combined for 16 homers and 102 RBI in 2008. On the mound, the Bantams return Jeremiah Bayer, another pre-season All-American, who turned in an outstanding stat line of 9-0, 1.33 ERA, 71 K's in 81 innings pitched. I don't know if the Bantams will finish the year ranked 1st, but there's no other spot to put them right now.

2. Eastern Connecticut - 32-15-1 - The Evil Empire, as they've come to be known around these LEC-heavy parts, turned in a strong campaign in 2008, with a 32-15-1 mark and yet another trip to Harwich for the New England regionals. What is impressive about that feat however, is most of it was accomplished without the aid of Shawn Gilblair on the mound. The senior captain is already one of the most decorated players in Eastern's celebrated history, and is perhaps division III's premier two-way player. The lefthander did his usual damage at the plate, hitting .403 and belting 12 long balls to lead EConn's offense. Expect more of the same from Gilblair in 2009, as well as an impressive line on the mound. Aiding Gilblair on offense are SS Melvin Castillo, the 24 year old junior who can hit as well as anybody in New England, as well as co-captain 1B Tristan Hobbes, as steady as they came both at the plate and in the field. It should be interesting to see what happens with the pitching staff in 2009, as aside from Gilblair, there are a number of question marks. 9 game winner Jimmy Jagodzinski is reportedly gone (with eligibility remaining), as is Joe Esposito, plucked to the professional ranks. James Kukucka finished 2008 with a 6-1 mark in 47.1 innings, but I'm not sure he has the stuff to be the #2 EConn needs. Chris Wojick was a stud out of the bullpen last season, but it remains to be seen if he will make the transition to starting in 2009. Still, Eastern has the offense to hang with anybody, and if Coach Holywater (thanks word) can work his usual magic, expect EConn to find themselves playing for a regional title yet again in May.

3. Southern Maine - 36-14 I hesitated between putting USM 2nd and EConn 3rd, but in the end, Gilblair was the deciding factor. That's not to say USM doesn't have their own studs, of course. USM has yet to post their 2009 roster online, but the fact remains the majority of their contributors in 2008 were underclassmen, as the team went 36-14 en route to playing in the regional title game in May, before falling to eventual national champ Trinity. Southern Maine has perhaps the most potent offense in New England (and possibly the country), and any pitcher worth his salt will be having nightmares about pitching to the heart of their order. Anthony D'Alfonso is USM's most potent hitter, and the big man is going to have a tough time improving upon his 2008 totals, which saw him post .393, 15 HR, 62 RBI totals. Also back is Chris Burleson, one of the best players in the LEC since he arrived on campus in 2005. The IF/OF posted .383/9/50 totals in 08, and should once again do some serious damage with the stick in 09. It would take up much too much space to go through USM's lineup, as 1-9 they're as dangerous as any team in the country. What remains to be seen however is how they'll fair on the mound, as they don't have a clear-cut #1 stud like Trinity and Econn do. From my understanding, Collin Henry is their best bet in that regard, but in the end it might not matter, as USM managed 36 wins last year with a staff ERA og 5.13. They might just hit their way to Wisconsin.

4. Wheaton - 34-10 One of the lesser-talked about, yet always potent clubs in New England, Wheaton once again looks to be a contender in 2009. The boys from Norton, MA ran up an impressive 34-10 mark in 2008, and should be the team to beat in the NEWMAC once again. One of the least talked about, but perhaps most intriguing, storylines regarding the 2009 season is the return of Louie Bernardini to the Wheaton baseball team. Bernardini took a DNP in 2008, and is back for his final season of eligibility in 2009. The tall righthander is one of the best arms in Wheaton's short but prolific history, with a 14-6, 2.47 ERA in 171 career innings pitched. He's twice been named to the NEIBA All-Region team, and was named the NYCBL's Pitcher of the Year in the summer of 2006. Bernardini is on a short list of the top arms in the region, and his return should give Wheaton a much-needed boost on the mound. Also returning is All-American Adam Gingras, he of the 10-1, 2.09 career stat-line. Gingras was a perfect 8-0 on the bump in 2008, and has been named a D3Baseball.com pre-season All-American. Wheaton might have the region's best 1-2 punch, and as we all know, pitching wins championships. Throw in veteran arms like Nick Kostaras, Jared Barnes, and Josh Simmons, and you have one of the best pitching staffs in the country. I'm not sure if Wheaton has the offense to hang with the top teams in New England (Southern Maine's D'Alfonso almost out-homered their entire club in 2009), but when you can pitch and play defense like they can, it doesn't really matter. They're my dark horse selection to represent New England at the 2009 World Series.

5. Keene State - 34-11 I know this might make some of the KSC'ers upset, but I think this ranking is justified. The Owls have emerged as a powerhouse not only in the LEC but also in New England, making a trip to Harwich in May an annual rite of passage. Still, has their window to the World Series come and gone? With their losses on the mound, I fear it has. Look, the Owls can hang with anybody on offense, as they rival USM in that category. With hitters like Bobby Doyon (.408-6-50), Joe Rousseau (.405-0-35), and Beau Darak (.296-13-50) leading the way, expect some football-like scores to follow KSC in the box scores. They absolutely will hit the ball this season. The question is, will they pitch well? Gone is Jamie Morin, KSC's crafty southpaw. Too is enormous Phil Mabey, who, despite struggling in his final year at the swamp, now finds himself poised to sign a professional contract once he's through in the Arizona Winter League. Gone too is Greg Ford, one of the best two-way players in the LEC last year. Does Aaron Laplante (5-0, 2.77 ERA in 39 IP) have what it takes to be a #1 stud in the LEC? I'm not sure. Still, you can never count the Swampies out, and I fully expect them to once again make the trip to Harwich in May.

6. Suffolk - 29-12 As the name implies, I'm a GNAC guy. I see more games in this conference than any of the others. Still, I think this ranking is the absolute LOWEST the Rams should be, and I could definitely see them jumping into the top 4 come May. Keep in mind, Suffolk finished 2008 at 29-12 and was ranked #3 in New England in the final regional rankings before the selections were made, and if they hadn't imploded in the GNAC tournament against St. Joe's, they would have been in Harwich, too. The Rams return the majority of their record-setting squad from 2008 (they were the 1st and only team to ever run the table in the GNAC regular season, 12-0), although gone are #1 Steve Durant and perennial All New England selection Nick Martinho. Still, they have more than enough offense to hang with anybody in the region, led by junior captain Bobby Barrett (.363-3-28), SS Jose Alejandro (.333-0-26), and OF Keith Carter (.322-3-29). Suffolk also has the wheels to steal almost at will, as evidenced by their 86 stolen bags in 104 attempts last year. On the mound, Suffolk is led by 2nd team All New England selection Dan Delia (7-3, 1.68 ERA, 47 K in 64.1 IP). Also returning is senior left hander Reid Jackson, who has complied a 12-3 mark over the last 2 seasons, including wins over regional teams Southern Maine and Montclair State in 2008. Much like previous seasons, Suffolk will play one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country, with Southern Maine, Eastern Connecticut, Trinity, Rowan, and Keystone all on the schedule before their spring trip is over. The Rams have a lot of depth both on the mound and in the field, and I expect them to regain their spot atop the GNAC once May rolls around.

7. St. Joe's (Maine) - 28-18 - The Monks made their inaugural season in the GNAC count, winning the conference tournament as a #4 seed and finding their way to Harwich yet again, for the 3rd year in a row. In 2009 though, I'm not sure that streak will continue. Gone is All-World shortstop Luke Enman, one of the premier players in the country and one of the best shortstops I've ever seen at the D-3 level. Enman finished his school-boy career as inarguably the best position player in SJC history, and if it weren't for a kid named Charlie Furbush (RHP Detroit Tigers), he'd be their best ball player, period. Enman went out in style in 2008, finishing with a .368-7-41 line, while playing near-flawless defense. Make no mistake, he was the straw that stirred the Monks offensive-drink, and his loss is pretty much irreplaceable. They'll certainly try, though, led by Ben Grant-Roy (.367-7-41). Seems every year somebody emerges from the 50 or so players coach Will Sanborn keeps around, and 2008 should be no different in that regard. It's a different story on the mound for the Monks though, as back is former Maine Blackbear Pat Moran, who posted an up-and-down 4-5, 3.88, 43 K's in 48 IP line in 2008. Moran's a 6'4 righthander, and perhaps the closest thing to a power pitcher in D-3, with a fastball in the upper 80's and a devastating curveball. Expect his 2nd year in the GNAC to be an easier transition. Also returning is LHP Andrew Keirstead, who emerged as the Monks certified Suffolk-killer in 2008, beating the Rams twice in 2 weeks to leave them home come regional selection time. Keirstead was 6-3 in 08 while leading the staff in innings pitched, and he should once again help anchor the Monks plentiful pitching staff.

8. Williams - 24-12 The Ephs had an interesting campaign in 2008, going 24-12 but missing the regional tournament despite many prognosticators having them pegged as shoe-ins after their March trip. Still, the Ephs graduated just 5 seniors last season, and many key players have returned. On the mound they're led by Dan Benz, who has been one of the best pitchers in New England over the last 2 seasons. In 2008, he compiled a 6-2, 3.36 ERA with 56 K's in 59 IP. Perhaps most impressively, he limited hitters to just a .198 BA last year. He's a #1 of the Gilblair-Bayer-Bernardini/Gingras scale. Also returning is Ben Horowitz, who trailed only Benz in IP in 2008. The Eph's don't pack the punch that much of the rest of this list does, as they managed just 11 long balls in 2008. Still, their .327 team batting average is nothing to scoff at, although the departures of Max Pinto and James DiCosmo will hurt the Ephs, as OF and 2nd baseman combined to hit .388 and .382 with 5 of the club's 11 home runs. Back is Al Matthews (.384-1-30), but after that, much is left to be desired.

In the mix: Tufts, Amherst, Western New England, Roger Williams, Worcester State, Babson

Great write up...Just one little thing I think Mark Schmidt will be USM #1 this year...Herny will be #2 and T. Therrian will be #3...Also long as they stay healthy they should be fine at the top of the rotation...

Thanks, not sure how I overlooked Schmidt, he put up some pretty gaudy numbers last year. 51 K's in 65 IP is pretty impressive. Should be interesting nonetheless to see how USM's pitching does this season; if they can pitch well, look out.

hockeyfan77

Quote from: TheGNAC on February 12, 2009, 08:10:49 PM
Quote from: hockeyfan77 on February 12, 2009, 08:03:50 PM

Thanks, not sure how I overlooked Schmidt, he put up some pretty gaudy numbers last year. 51 K's in 65 IP is pretty impressive. Should be interesting nonetheless to see how USM's pitching does this season; if they can pitch well, look out.

I know how you overlooked him: that's a lot of work!!!! Good writing and your points are IMO pretty dead on...Yes , if USM can avoid injuries to their arms the could be downright scary...

wordsmith

GNAC,

We're not worthy
We're not worthy
We're not worthy

What a great write-up. Thank you.

Word

PS Keith Patnode a recent transfer to KSC may well be an impact player at the plate.
Word

KSCfan

Gnac- amazing write up, awesome job some serious thought and hard work went into that.  I felt that your ranking were right on as well.  I agree with where you placed the swampies.  One thing though Rousseau graduated last year and now is a Nashua NH police officer.  But, that being said great stuff, espically enjoyed the Wheaton write up. 

ecfaninri

GNAC
I thought I was reading sports illustrated.com for a moment. Good insight on each team. I particuarly liked your assessment of Eastern Conn. A few things you might be on the lookout for is - how Tingley will respond to off-season surgery, what impact the UConn transfer, Musson will have, and how Fontaine follows up last year leading the LEC in strikeouts and games started while filling in for Gilblair. I think Wojick will remain in the pen. Kukucka does have the stuff. Those 47.1 innings were deceiving. Those were tough innings. When you get a look at Eastern's top four pitchers, Gilblair, Kukucka, Musson, and Fontaine, you will think that they are on loan from the football team. A surprise will be Dutton, a "crafty" lefty, possibly out of the pen and maybe an occasional long relief/spot weekday start.

GNAC ... will there be a weekly update?

kscer

Quote from: wordsmith on February 12, 2009, 08:21:14 PM

PS Keith Patnode a recent transfer to KSC may well be an impact player at the plate.
He may be the bat in the middle of the lineup that makes them have to pitch to Chevy, Doyon and Darak.

Stump

GNAC
wow! terrific analysis. very in depth, very insightful. Lot of effort and research, I would certainly agree. you must have been working on this since the end of last season. 
Great job, bring on the season, it should be fun

dgilblair

Ok...I'll be the bad guy......no thats a real nice bit of work.

But.....you think Keene is going to Harwich (ECSU)? That kinda means they will beat USM and/or ECSU this year again, as a minimum they would have to win the LEC tourney and that would still get the shipped to NY regional.  That is if ECSU wins the regular season or at least top two.  ECSU has been shipped to NY two of the last three years for regionals.  If they have a normal ECSU year I don't see them getting shipped out this year.  Even if you win the LEC tourney from the two or three spot doesn't mean you stay in region but I think they get a break this year being the host site.  Although this year who would want to be in this regional....lets see.....Wheaton, USM, Keene, ECSU, Trinity, ST. Joe....tough stuff there.  Seems if you go to NY most years you have to beat Cortland.  NE has 4 or 5 Cortlands.  Not to disrespect the NY teams but they seem to disrespect themselves at times.  Could be interesting at the end of the year.

So who will be in the NE regional at ECSU in May?  Thats enough, my finger is getting tired.

mans007

Good post.  It will be tough to ship out the host of the regional because even though DIII is not a money making sport, they will gain more financially by having ecsu in it even as a 4-6 seed.

ecfaninri

mansoo7
You're absolutely on target about ecsu being shipped to Auburn during this economic time. If the NCAA has to pay for the travel of Eastern to Auburn or to have them stay in Willimantic - hard choice ? I think not.
However......... we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves. Let's just start by playing one game first.

TheGNAC

Thought I'd check out the early season schedules for the top New England teams and highlight some matchups.

Thoughts on these games?

Saturday, March 7 - Eastern Connecticut vs. Suffolk in Farmingdale, NY - Gonna be a cold one, as my #2 and #6 ranked teams face off at SUNY-Farmingdale.

Sunday, March 8 - Southern Maine vs. Suffolk in Farmingdale, NY - Suffolk swept USM in an early season matchup in 2008, but USM has returned the majority of their horses from last year. Tough two draws to open the year for Suffolk, in cold weather no less.

Monday, March 9 & Tuesday, March 10 - Wheaton vs. The College of New Jersey in Phoenix, AZ - TCNJ was a top-ranked club for much of 2008, finishing in the top 25 with a 30-12 overall record. On back-to-back days, they'll take on the perennial NEWMAC powerhouse. Should be two well-played games.

Friday, March 13 - Wheaton vs. Johns Hopkins in Phoenix, AZ - Wheaton was the national runners-up in 2006. Johns Hopkins now holds that dubious title for 2008. Should be an excellent game.

Saturday, March 14 - Keene State vs. TCNJ in Phoenix, AZ- Keene opens their season with 2 games against TCNJ in Arizona. A tough test for the Owls right out of the gate, and doesn't get any easier two days later, either.

Sunday, March 15 - Suffolk vs. Rowan in Lake Myrtle, FLA - Rowan was a 30 win team in 2008, and look to be strong once again this season, even after losing all-world pitcher Ryan Kulik. Suffolk should have its hands full with the boys from Jersey.

Monday, March 16 - Keene State vs. Johns Hopkins in Phoenix, AZ - KSC doesn't have it any easier in their 5th game of the year, as they take on the boys from JHU.

Thursday, March 19 - Southern Maine vs. Johns Hopkins in Phoenix, AZ - Two national powerhouses face off in an early season tilt in Phoenix. Should be a good one, as both teams have national title hopes for 2009.

Friday, March 20 - Eastern Connecticut vs. Johns Hopkins in Phoenix, AZ - The national runners-up didn't fare well against New England's #1 ranked club in the 2008 World Series, I wonder how they'll do against the 2nd best team New England has to offer?

Saturday, March 21 - Suffolk vs. Trinity in Lake Myrtle, FLA - The national champions end their spring trip with a tilt against Suffolk before flying north. The spring schedule is fairly light for the Bantams, and Suffolk should be their toughest test. Don't be surprised if they return home undefeated for the second straight season.

Should be an interesting, action-packed start to the season.

Any thoughts?

DIII Dad

First off let me say TheGNAC your write ups are great! It looks like the best teams around here are playing some tough early sason games. Good way to see what you have. I follow Wheaton(MA) and was just wondering if any body knows anything about the other teams on there Az. trip as far as good competition goes.
7-Mar Sat RIT (NY)
8-Mar Sun Saint John's (MN)
9-Mar Mon The College of New Jersey
10-Mar Tue The College of New Jersey
10-Mar Tue Rockford (IL)
12-Mar Thu Saint Cloud State (MN)
13-Mar Fri Johns Hopkins (MD)
14-Mar Sat Western New England
15-Mar Sun William Paterson (NJ)
15-Mar Sun Roger Williams

Thanks in advance for any insight I can get.

KSCfan

D3dad The college of New Jersey will be a very good match for wheaton as they are always a very strong team. William Patterson traditionally is a 20 win team at least.  I know that Keene State usually plays them down in Arizona and most times than not its a battle to the last inning.  They play in the NJAC i think it is, the same one with COllege of New Jersey which is a very strong conference.  That should be a good couple of games.  Hopkins national runner up last year should tell you that they are pretty good. Thats about as much as i know

dchevy5

Regarding the Arizona schedule for Keene State,  interesting that we start with 2 against TCNJ and play Johns Hopkins on day 3 (game 5).  That is exactly the same as last year.  Both teams will be out for revenge as KSC went 3-0.  They beat TCNJ on KSC's first day outside (it was TCNJ's final day of their trip).
Played 2 NINE inning games and KSC won both by one run, the second game going 11 innings.  What a way to start a season!  Then 2 days later, KSC beat Johns Hopkins, also by one run, 9-8.  After 3 days, Keene was 4-1 with 3 victories against top 10 teams (at the time).  It will be difficult to repeat that this year, but, it will be fun.