BB: General New England Discussion

Started by Paul Heering, February 14, 2007, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stump

This is the last year NAC has an AQ. In 2010, they are partnering with NEAC and the AQ in baseball will be through the NEAC. The two leagues will play separate division schedules and then the divisions will meet for the qualifier tourney.  I believe NECC has another year before they cn qualify for an automatic qualifier so next year there will only be 7 AQ's in NE

KSCfan

With less AQ for the tournament will that mean more pool C at large bids for NE?  Or other teams getting shipped in? 

wordsmith

Quote from: wordsmith on April 20, 2009, 01:40:39 PM
I will never be as comprehesive as the legendary TheGNAC but I would like to offer my New England Top 8. I have now had the opportunity to see many of the top teams and feel as if I have a better take on the squads.

1- Trinity - Granted I have not seen them live, but they are the reigning champs and until they show they are beatable they should be the favorite to return to Appleton.

2- USM - Big Sticks. Just enough pitching and Impact players in D'Alfonso and  Burleson. Do not, I repeat do not under estimate USM's pitching staff. If you can run out guys like Therrian and Henry and fill in with Stacy and Eaton ....look out in Gorham.

3-EastConn - Always solid, always in the mix, impact player in Gilblair who looks to me to be in prime shape for a big postseason. My choice to play Texas-Tyler in the Championship game (see post back in February), cban't waiver on that but they must become more consistent to advance from the NE.

4-WPI- What can you say sweep Wheaton and you move up on my board. Also quality win over EConn, Trinity, UMD, hey maybe these guys should be #2 ???

5-Wheaton - Is what it is. Poldelski has them playing well and to me they are the dark horse to go to Appleton.

6 -St. Joe's- Will the hardest working man in D-III had me sold that they were legit, then they ran into the USM BUZZ-Saw. Still deserve a 6 ranking.

7- Suffolk- Solid club with some decent wins. Recent losses to St. Joe's makes one wonder though.

8- WNEC & Curry - Too close to call they should decide this next week in TCCC playoffs.

Barely missing:  Worcester State, Amherst,  Williams,  Roger Williams

Word :P

First Regional Poll hit today--> Can't argue with the results except to say, WPI swept Wheaton and took the regular season title in the WETHCTI (What Ever The Hell Conference They're In) NEWMAC so I still think they should rank above the Wheaties.

New England Region
1. Southern Maine 28-3 23-2
2. Trinity (Conn.) 21-3 21-1
3. Wheaton (Mass.) 25-7 22-6
4. Eastern Connecticut 22-6 19-6
5. WPI 21-9 20-6
6. Curry 28-4 24-3
7. Suffolk 24-7 21-6
8. Worcester State 23-10 23-7
9. Western New England 23-12 20-11
10. St. Joseph's (Maine) 25-10 22-6

Word :D
Word

wordsmith

Babson sweeps Wheaties out of the WETHCTPI ::) :o :o

So a surprise entrant (Baboons or Brains) from that Conference will require either Wheaties or WPI to get there (NCAAs) via-at-large.

ECAC could include some pretty strong teams this year:

WPI and/or Wheaton
Curry or WNEC
KSC and/or EastConn

Word 8)

Word

Stump

Quote from: wordsmith on April 25, 2009, 09:30:55 PM
Babson sweeps Wheaties out of the WETHCTPI ::) :o :o

So a surprise entrant (Baboons or Brains) from that Conference will require either Wheaties or WPI to get there (NCAAs) via-at-large.

ECAC could include some pretty strong teams this year:

WPI and/or Wheaton
Curry or WNEC
KSC and/or EastConn

Word 8)

That certainly complicates the selection process.

LEC: USM (unless there's a repeat of NEWMAC tourney)
NESCAC: Trinity (same disclaimer as LEC)
TCCC: Curry (same disclaimer)
MASCAC: Worcester State
NEWMAC: Babson/MIT(finals today)
GNAC: St. Joe's/Suffolk(finals today)
NAC: Castleton

Wild Cards: ECSU, WNEC, Wheaton, WPI, ST. Joe's/Suffok

ECAC could end up being almost as strong a field as NCAA. (ECSU/KSC?, WNEC, St. Joe's/Suffolk, Wheaton/WPI) You could make a pretty good regional field out of just those teams and it looks like at least 4 of those are probably looking at ECAC bids after it all sorts out.   Let's make a second regional field and take over the NY regional ;) ;)

Now just imagine the possibilites if there is another darkhorse winner in LEC, NESCAC and/or TCCC.(long shot, true, but who thought neither Wheaton or WPI would make finals of NEWMAC) :o

ecfaninri

Stump....
You're right - double WETHCTPI..... It is going to be a long wait until May 10th for the at-large bids to be released for Wheaton and WPI  ... Former #1 Millsaps in the South Region has that same wait. But here in New England if another surprise happens in the LEC ( I only think Keene St has the depth for that possibility) or in the TCCC with WNEC and Curry battling. At - Large bids are going to be tough to be had.

363dp

Babson punches it's ticket to the Regionals with a 6-3 win over MIT. Go Beavers.

wordsmith

Quote from: 363dp on April 26, 2009, 01:22:39 PM
Babson punches it's ticket to the Regionals with a 6-3 win over MIT. Go Beavers.

Congrats to the Babson Beavers and their coaches Wally and Theodore Cleaver for gnawing their way through the WETHCTPI.

Word ;D
Word

dchevy5

I would not be shocked (deliriously happy, yes, but not shocked) if Keene State made a strong bid in the LEC tournament.  Things are upside down enough with Babson winning the NEWMAC,  but wouldn't KSC winning the LEC be, well, great?  This has been the craziest year I can remember in the LEC, and nothing is a given.
It should be fun!!!

wordsmith

Here is kind of a curveball of a question but I ask anyway.

I'd be interested in knowing how many of the schools/conferences have tourneys that conflict with academic Finals.

Word, what the hell is wrong with you bringing up schroool on an af-e-lete board. ::)

The reason for the question comes from exposure to the TCCC where several schools have strict rules which do not allow players to miss class for games, i.e. Colby Sawyer.

I'd be interested in feedback.

Word 8)
Word

JustAFan

St Joe's scores 2 in the top of the 9th to hand Suffolk its first tournament loss 6-5 earlier this afternoon in the finals of the GNAC tournament and force an "if" game that's currently underway.

RSSmith

Quote from: wordsmith on April 26, 2009, 05:16:01 PM
Here is kind of a curveball of a question but I ask anyway.

I'd be interested in knowing how many of the schools/conferences have tourneys that conflict with academic Finals.

Word, what the hell is wrong with you bringing up schroool on an af-e-lete board. ::)

The reason for the question comes from exposure to the TCCC where several schools have strict rules which do not allow players to miss class for games, i.e. Colby Sawyer.

I'd be interested in feedback.

Word 8)

The Centennial Conference will not permit games to be played during exams.  If the conference tournament is not completed by the Monday before exams start on Tuesday, the tournament is halted and the automatic bid is awarded by an alternative method (www.centennial.org).  In order to play any game during the exam period, a school has to get a waiver from the conference.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

JustAFan

Suffolk wins the "if" game and the GNAC title 15-6 over St. Joseph's.  Complete game win by Torres from Suffolk.

Stump

Congrats to Suffolk. well pitched game by Torres.

KSCfan

Great time of the  year guys as conference tournaments are out and about.  Already some conference upsets with Babson winning (congrats) and now Suffolk which is not really an upset punching thier ticket.  My question is how many pool C bids will New England get?  2 or 3 with the third team shipped out to New York. Now what if we see upsets in the LEC and or NESAC.  Could leave a very good team outside looking in.  The NE regional is shaping up to be a very good one, and look forward to seeing more conference tournament action