FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Talked to a Guilford official over the weekend who said Greensboro asked to not play the GCQ/GCP Soup Bowl "at this time".  Sounds like Greensboro wanted to revitalize their program before they reenter a game with Guilford ... so after 20 years, it's on hiatus.  I can't say I blame Greensboro, Guilford has won four in a row and the last three years by a cumulative 198-13 score.

HSCTiger fan

198 to 13?  GC officials and fans should be very happy with the Greensboro College decision. That game helped neither program.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on March 06, 2017, 05:36:30 AM
198 to 13?  GC officials and fans should be very happy with the Greensboro College decision. That game helped neither program.
You're right.  Greensboro players didn't want to play it and it hurt Guilford in 2015 ... if we had played and even lost a game to a ranked team, I think the Quakers would have made the NCAA playoffs.  I don't know the exact years, but it was 52-0 one year, 77-13 another and 69-0 in the third. 

jknezek

Quote from: hasanova on March 08, 2017, 08:25:31 PM
You're right.  Greensboro players didn't want to play it and it hurt Guilford in 2015 ... if we had played and even lost a game to a ranked team, I think the Quakers would have made the NCAA playoffs.  I don't know the exact years, but it was 52-0 one year, 77-13 another and 69-0 in the third.

Hasa -- I don't think a 2 loss Guilford team, 0-2 to RRO, would have made the tournament. But that's just a guess. No, Greensboro didn't help Guilford that year. In my opinion beating a RRO would have put Guilford in at 1-1 RRO, 9-1.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on March 09, 2017, 09:01:49 AM

Hasa -- I don't think a 2 loss Guilford team, 0-2 to RRO, would have made the tournament. But that's just a guess. No, Greensboro didn't help Guilford that year. In my opinion beating a RRO would have put Guilford in at 1-1 RRO, 9-1.
Maybe we wouldn't have gotten in regardless, but in the eyes of committee I believe a close loss to a contender would have been preferable to a 77-13 drubbing of Greensboro.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: hasanova on March 09, 2017, 09:36:20 AM
Quote from: jknezek on March 09, 2017, 09:01:49 AM

Maybe we wouldn't have gotten in regardless, but in the eyes of committee I believe a close loss to a contender would have been preferable to a 77-13 drubbing of Greensboro.

Perhaps better but most certainly not good enough.

Playing an average team and beating them would have been vastly better than either proposed options.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hasanova

jknezek

After 2 sports seasons, W&L again leads the Overall ODAC Commissioner's Cup. In addition to the Overall Cup, W&L leads the Women's Cup substantially over Lynchburg and Bridgewater, and is tied with RMC in the Men's Cup. Lynchburg sits third in the Men's Cup, second in the Women's, and second Overall.

On the Men's side, RMC and Guilford tied for basketball, W&L won Cross Country, RMC won FB, Lynchburg took soccer, W&L took swimming, W&L took Indoor Track. W&L has earned 48.5 of a possible 57 points, good for 85.1% of possible points. RMC has taken 31.5 of a possible 37 points, also good for 85.1% of possible points. RMC did not compete in CC or Indoor Track. W&L is the only ODAC school to compete in all 11 ODAC Men's sports.

On the Women's side, Lychburg and Guilford tied for basketball, W&L won cross country, Lynchburg won field hockey, W&L won soccer, W&L won swimming, Bridgewater won Indoor Track, RMC won volleyball. W&L has taken 65.5 of a possible 76 points, good for 86.2%. Lynchburg took 53.5 of a possible 67 points, good for 79.9%. Lynchburg did not compete in swimming. Bridgewater took 52.5 of 76 possible points, good for 69.1%. Bridgewater is the only ODAC school to compete in all 13 Women's sports.

Looking at the men's side this spring, currently W&L is undefeated in conference baseball play, first time ever they have started 9-0 in conference, with Shenandoah and RMC having lost one and two games a piece behind them. I have no idea how to sort out golf and track until the ODAC Tournament, so we'll pass on those. In lax, W&L and Roanoke are 3-0, with H-SC, Shenandoah, and RMC a game behind. The Generals are once again dominating tennis, with a 9-0 record, while other conference teams with 2-6 matches under their belts are holding at least a loss, including 1-1 RMC and 1-4 Lynchburg.

The women, already holding a strong lead, don't participate in softball, the only ODAC sponsored sport W&L does not do in either gender. However, lax is 2-0, as is RMC, with Guilford 1-0. And the women's tennis team is 9-0, with RMC 4-0 behind, followed by 4-1 Randolph and 3-2 Roanoke. Golf, T&F, and Riding I don't know how to account for until after the season.

W&L is aiming for their 21st Overall Cup, 15th straight, 17th Men's Cup, 2nd straight, and 17th Women's Cup, 13th in a row. 2016-17 marks the 23rd year for the Overall Cup and 25th year for the Men's and Women's Cups. W&L has won at least one of the three Cups every year except 92/93 and 93/94, with 10 seasons of 3 Cup sweeps including last year.

http://odaconline.com/general/2016-17/releases/033117-commcup-winter

All stats found on odaconline.com

hasanova

HSCTiger fan

I listened to the latest podcast on D3blogs.com yesterday. Part of the discussion was on the possible elimination of 2-a-day practices effective this fall.  Any thoughts from the ODAC brain trust?  Personally, I don't get it.  The NCAA already has D3 rules in place for no contact in the spring and no organized practice/lifting/agility in the summer.  It's almost as if they put no faith in coaches to teach proper technique.  It seems to me the NCAA should want players more prepared than less.  There's only 21 days to practice before the first game.  In that 21 days, currently a team is allowed 25 practices.  I see no good reason to change.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

tigerFanAlso2

Tiger Fan

I hear they will be playing flag football in 2018 !!!!!

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on April 07, 2017, 09:00:45 AM
Tiger Fan

I hear they will be playing flag football in 2018 !!!!!

This is getting closer all the time. Frankly with U.S. Soccer outlawing heading for kids 10 and under they are showing a certain regard for youth health that youth football is not showing. USA Football should follow along and ban tackle football for kids under 11 or 12 or the significant drop in youth participation over the last 5 years is going to keep happening.

As for 2 a days, they are way less useful and needed today. There is a ton of evidence that over exertion is more damaging than beneficial to an unprepared human body. And the need for "shock conditioning" has fallen off as athletes work out and train all year round instead of reporting to camp out of shape and practice.

Teams and sports need to move past doing things one way because they have always been done that way. The old ways really aren't the best, especially the more we come to understand exercise science, how to maximize the physical potential of the human body, and the effects of even small but consistent cumulative head impacts.

tigerFanAlso2

You are correct. Makes me glad I'm in the 4th quarter of my life cycle. The day is coming when most mothers will not allow a kid to play football and what sad day that will be.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on April 07, 2017, 12:38:49 PM
You are correct. Makes me glad I'm in the 4th quarter of my life cycle. The day is coming when most mothers will not allow a kid to play football and what sad day that will be.

It's not just mothers. I won't let my boys play tackle football until they are 12 or so. If they really want to at that age, I will consider it.

Of course, my daughter is currently 7 and heavily involved in Tae Kwan Do. And my 5 year old boys are in a pre-Tae Kwan Do program. But I watched my daughter place 3rd at a tournament by scoring 4 of 7 points kicking a boy with her well padded foot twice on his well padded head gear. So it's entirely possible that I'm being ridiculously hypocritical. On the other hand, the fact that my daughter is capable of kicking a boy in the head, and punching him when necessary, makes me quite happy for her inevitable future relationships.

The fact that my twin boys are learning some of these same skills does not make me feel quite so happy for their inevitable cohabitation as they grow up.