Slate: "Is Wesleyan Compromising ... to build an athletics cash cow?"

Started by Ron Boerger, December 21, 2017, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 26, 2018, 12:53:45 PM
I would have loved for my alma mater to join the UAA ... but, amazingly, they left the AAU in the past decade or so.  :o

A Pope Benedict thing?

I am jealous of all of the days off you all got there.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 26, 2018, 12:53:45 PM
I would have loved for my alma mater to join the UAA ... but, amazingly, they left the AAU in the past decade or so.  :o

I'd love your alma mater to join the UAA as well! LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jknezek

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 26, 2018, 12:29:46 PM
There are a lot of things that need to take place for this particular school to even be considered by the UAA. They may not be brought in anyway. I do not know if they will apply or not for the AAU.

And I'm not stating the name right now.

And per football, three are listed (thought it was four; there are technically five if I remember correctly) ... but they don't play as true conference foes technically. The three do play for something, but I admittedly can't remember what. However, the three have access to an AQ through their football conferences.

If I had to guess, I'd say CUNY Brooklyn. Meets many of the requirements for the AAU and is a DIII member.

PaulNewman

I'll go with RPI....Hopkins, Tufts, MIT seem like the best fits, but no reason to think Hopkins or Tufts are going anywhere...and don't know enough about MIT's desires.  RPI does have a very talented, ambitious and aggressive President...

Bishopleftiesdad

Ohio State, After going D3 so it does not have to pay players.  ::)
Not sure Columbus is a big enough metroplex though.  ;)

ADL70

While Brooklyn College, as it appears they prefer to be call themselves, is part of CUNY, but the CUNY Graduate Center is not solely attached to Brooklyn.  Besides UAA already has a presence in NYC.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

sunny

If we're going to speculate on non-AAU members, can I throw St. Thomas (Minn.) in the mix? Checks several UAA boxes otherwise - major metro, lots of grad programs, etc. And since Catholic came up in this discussion, St. Thomas (124) and Catholic (129) have pretty similar USN&WR rankings as national universities.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 26, 2018, 12:29:46 PM
Quote from: ADL70 on September 26, 2018, 10:04:56 AM
d-mac
Your suggestion that there is a school in a major metropolitan area "angling" to get into the UAA has me scratching my head. Are they trying to join AAU as well? That seems to be a requirement for UAA. At one point there were suggestions that Tulane might drop to D3, but their new football stadium puts the kibosh on that. UT-Dallas is the only current d3 school that comes to mind, but would UAA accept a state school? RPI?

I'm not sure why UAA would want to expand. Only goal I can see is AQ for baseball, but at-large has worked fairly well for the only serious contenders; CWRU, Emory, and WashU. Or as you suggest a presence in another major metropolitan area.

If you don't mind PM me who's angling and I'll keep it under my hat.

You mentioned that the number of UAA football schools was four, but the website current lists only the three who are playing each other: CMU, CWRU, and Rochester.

There are a lot of things that need to take place for this particular school to even be considered by the UAA. They may not be brought in anyway. I do not know if they will apply or not for the AAU.

And I'm not stating the name right now.

And per football, three are listed (thought it was four; there are technically five if I remember correctly) ... but they don't play as true conference foes technically. The three do play for something, but I admittedly can't remember what. However, the three have access to an AQ through their football conferences.

The other two are Chicago (MWC) and Wash U (CCIW). Chicago and Wash U do play for something: the Founders Cup. The oddity is that this football traveling trophy is now contested over by two archrivals who play in different leagues, neither of which is the league (the UAA) for which the Founders Cup was named. (Chicago and Wash U played in the first-ever UAA football game (1987).
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 26, 2018, 12:42:18 PM
Closer than I need it to be. LOL

+1 I get it.

By the way, I have a Hoopsville request for you to invite Greg Sager on to talk conferences, Benedictine, etc. That would be a fun conversation.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUPHF on September 26, 2018, 02:48:04 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 26, 2018, 12:42:18 PM
Closer than I need it to be. LOL

+1 I get it.

By the way, I have a Hoopsville request for you to invite Greg Sager on to talk conferences, Benedictine, etc. That would be a fun conversation.

I think Sager has already pointed out ... he doesn't pay attention to much outside of his neck of the woods. :)

I also already have a guest penciled in to talk about Benedictine. :)

That's called, in the business, a tease. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

I figured you would have a guest on about Benedictine, but I am glad that is in the works.  Definitely an interesting story.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh