WBB: NEWMAC

Started by Renaissance Coach, December 02, 2004, 06:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The new NCAA Division III women's basketball regional rankings are posted: https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2019/02/women-regional-rankings-third
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

NEHoopsFan

2019-20 Pre-season Coaches Poll.  No big surprises, although I did expect Smith to be higher. Strange they are in 6th place and received one first place vote.

1) Springfield (5)
2) Babson (5)
3) MIT
4) Emerson
5) WPI
6) Smith (1)
7) Wellesley
8) Clark
T9) Coach Guard
T9) Wheaton
11) Mount Holyoke

cantdothat

Maine Maritime Women's Basketball Tournament @ "The Pit" University of Maine Orono.
Games Saturday 11/9.

Wheaton 79 MMA 73
UMass Boston 66 Thomas College 50
Strong showing by Wheaton in the opener.
2 starters for UMass Boston sit for disciplinary actions but hear will play Sunday vs MMA

Sunday 11/10 Matchups
Thomas vs. Wheaton 12pm
UMass Boston vs. MMA 2pm

NEHoopsFan

I wasn't able to catch the game, but that is a strong weekend or Wheaton Mass.  Going 2-0, and averaging 11 points higher (71 pts/game) than last year (60).  Looking at their roster, they graduated 1 player.  So they should compete fairly well this year.  The NEWMAC should be a tough conference. 

With the change in scheduling this year, it will be interesting to watch.  They play each team within the conference only once, so you have to bring your A game for those conference games. In the past, they played some teams twice, but I guess that was seen as unfair advantage depending upon which teams you played twice.

Conference games will be much more valuable this year.....

cantdothat

Maine Maritime Academy Women's Basketball Tournament
Sunday results

Wheaton (2-0) 64
Thomas (0-2) 48

UMass Boston (2-0) 64
Maine Maritime (0-2) 51

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The break for the holidays always has plenty of games to enjoy. It also has it's handful of results that make one scratch their head or an upset to enjoy. This holiday "season" saw plenty of all of that. Top 25 teams were not safe. Nearly all seemed to lose. There were results every day that made Division III coaches, fans, and many others take note.

Sunday night Hoopsville returns to the air from the holidays with plenty to talk about, but not enough time. We chat with teams that impressed, got a big win, continue to stay unscathed, and may end up in the new Top 25 polls. We also try and read the Top 25 tea leaves to figure out how voters may fill out their ballots on Monday (hint: it might be anyone's guess).

While we try and cover all Division III basketball news, now that we have entered January we split up the regions to cover as many teams as possible each week. Sundays the regions are Atlantic, Central, Northeast, and South.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Sunday's show LIVE in the following ways:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/36stzBs (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/jan5)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville (only the first 45 minutes aired; may have had a copyright problem haha)
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel

All men's basketball coaches are part of the NABC Coach's Corner. All guests appear on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Tom Palombo, No. 21 Guilford men's coach
- Bobby Hurley, Stevens men's coach
- Lynn Hersey, Smith women's coach
- Bob Quillman & Ryan Scott, Top 25 Double-Take

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville

deiscanton

Smith has taken their first loss of the season, as Springfield wins the NEWMAC opener, 54-50, and sends the kids attending the game in Blake Arena home happy on Springfield's annual Elementary School Day at the game.  Another band from one of Springfield's schools provided the entertainment today.

I was watching the video stream, as this game was a defensive slugfest throughout, with Smith leading until the middle of the fourth quarter.  I believe that the final score was Springfield's biggest lead of the contest.

Smith drops to 12-1, 0-1 in NEWMAC play. 

PS-- What George Fox did with their very young team in 2008-09 is probably improbable to be duplicated and this NEWMAC opener is one of the reasons why this will be the case.  Congrats to Smith, though, on their program best 12-0 start with a young tean.

NEHoopsFan

On the bright side for Smith, that game doesn't appear to count towards conference standings.  This year the NEWMAC will only be counting 1 game against each conference opponent in the standings.  The rematch will be at Smith on Feb 5th.  It will be interesting to see if Smith can make any adjustments to slow down Alex Goslin who is having a great start to the season.

ronk

Quote from: NEHoopsFan on January 08, 2020, 12:23:46 PM
On the bright side for Smith, that game doesn't appear to count towards conference standings.  This year the NEWMAC will only be counting 1 game against each conference opponent in the standings.  The rematch will be at Smith on Feb 5th.  It will be interesting to see if Smith can make any adjustments to slow down Alex Goslin who is having a great start to the season.

I really liked the play and energy of Alex Goslin when I saw her as a rising senior in AAU; if I were a college coach, Alex is one that I'd want to play for me.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There are six weeks left in the regular season, but the grind of conference schedules can make it feel like the end is a long ways off.

As teams try and focus on each game in front of them, the ramifications of each outcome grow larger and larger. Conference tournament seeding (or even participating), at-large hopes, and to a larger degree opportunities to be home in March with the hopes of a national championship as the goal.

Thursday on Hoopsville, we chat with a few programs that are on top of their conference races (or were), but the standing could change in just one game. We chat about how teams deal with being everyone's target or how to survive the grind.

Plus, relationships with a program's alumni can go a long way to how successful the program becomes and even the institution on a larger scale. In this week's WBCA Center Court, MIT coach Sonia Raman discusses what prompted her to get alums more involved and how it has resulted in a significant increase in contributions as well.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's show LIVE starting at 7:00 pm ET in the following ways:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/2TrjT6B (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/jan16)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel

Thursday's show primarily covers the East, Great Lakes, Mid-Atlantic, and West Regions while also featuring a women's coach in the WBCA Center Court segment. All men's coaches appear in the NABC Coach's Corner. And all guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Sonia Raman, MIT women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Dale Wellman, No. 11 Nebraska Wesleyan men's coach (NABC Coach's Corner)
- Darryl Keckler, Drew men's coach (NABC Coach's Corner)
- Juli Fulks, No. 9 Transylvania women's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ron Boerger

Big news from the NBA, too bad nobody reads this conference's board:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1304443132176670722

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

The Grizzlies hired MIT women's coach Sonia Raman as an assistant coach, team says.