FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GillCJ1

Quote from: wildcat11 on October 16, 2017, 06:58:13 PM
You guys are KILLING me on this board.  UMHB might have one of the best all-time defenses at the division III level (5.7) PPG and all I read is the hand wringing about the offense.  As a fan, I get it but this defense is going to carry the program back to another Stagg Bowl title.

Heh.  I know what you mean.  I have the same reaction when I see fans of high-profile D1 programs complain about their team.  As for the Cru, it's amazing getting to watch this defense go to work each Saturday.  I probably cheer just as loud for a good defensive stop as I do a TD (unless, of course, it's a defensive TD - WHICH IS THE BEST).  You can tell they take pride in it, too.  I'd like to see more consistency out of the offense, but I'm confident it will happen.
ASC Football Champs 2002-03, 2005-2018 | D-III National Champions 2016, 2018

2016 National Confidence Playoff Pick 'Em Champion
2017 ASC Pick 'Em Co-Champion

Toby Taff

You guys are KILLING me on this board.  UMHB might have one of the best all-time defenses at the division III level (5.7) PPG and all I read is the hand wringing about the offense.  As a fan, I get it but this defense is going to carry the program back to another Stagg Bowl title.
You might be right 11 but an unfortunate injury or 2 and offensive consistency becomes more important. My only real issue has been with qb play. the skill positions all seem solid and in some cases outstanding, but i think KJ has a little bit of an issue with his option reads. Have seen defenses run past miller too many times because they know KJ is holding the ball. On a straight pass play when the line is pass blocking he's good and he's accurate, but when he runs the read option i just wish he'd give up the ball more often. Those 5-10 yd sacks might cost the team at some point, and it drives me nuts. I'm the worlds worst a Madden and i feel like i'm watching my madden offense sometimes.
The defense on the other hand... a joy to watch, especially the d-line. Brazos Fuller has been a beast all season. the others have as well, but his play exceeds my expectations every week.

Kelly, did you notice the comment by Coach Fred that Robinson's JV time is over?
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

DFWCrufan

For me it's a position that The Cru have such a variety of talent and it seems to be on stutters and starts from the QB position. I know that TJ is talented but his receiving far surpasses his QB efforts at this time, KJ looked great on his opening debut this season and just seems to be off and on as the season moves forward. I like Tevin Muse, big, strong, no fear in the pocket but we have not seen a whole lot of him and the young Robinson came out and looked really good, but that is what we saw in KJ as well.
So the reason for the hand wringing is we should at this point be very comfy with both offense and defense, defense is outstanding, but you have to put points on the board and while they do enough to score, once bracket play comes around your going to have to up the game and we need to be in that position, not still figuring out who is going to set the tempo.
The Cru will get there offensively, it's just taking longer than we would like.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

Kelly Boggs

QuoteKelly, did you notice the comment by Coach Fred that Robinson's JV time is over?

I did, Toby. I think there will be good, healthy competition between the three to see who will be at the helm by season's end. I think whoever emerges will do well. The coaches know better than we do, so may the best QB rise to the top.
UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

cover2

Maybe the UMHB D should play offense.  They've scored more TD's than their opponents so far this season...5 to 4.  Incredible stat! 

DFWCrufan

Hey, I didn't realize that Hunter Schmidt, Matt Cody and Baylor Mullins are on the staff as Assistant Grad Coaches....

DFWCrufan

TLU has a good write up on the Southern Section

Hey TLU fans. can we possibly interest you in sending Grona our way? I really liked what he did at ETBU, he looked like he would fit into a UMHB O line...(Jus joshin ya!)

No really grona as a QB looked pretty solid.

umhb2001

Hey! TLU!

Send TLUGoat this way! We need more of his trash talk on here.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

umhb2001

Quote from: DFWCrufan on October 17, 2017, 05:05:43 PM
Hey, I didn't realize that Hunter Schmidt, Matt Cody and Baylor Mullins are on the staff as Assistant Grad Coaches....

Yep, those guys are helping us out in big ways!
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Kelly Boggs

QuoteSend TLUGoat this way! We need more of his trash talk on here.

Now there's a name I've not heard in a long time. He/she (since it is only a handle I am not going to assume a gender  ;D) did do some talking.

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

umhbalum

Just joined the Cru online broadcast and heard that Miller is out today. Anyone know if it's injury related?

crufootball

Quote from: umhbalum on October 21, 2017, 01:49:39 PM
Just joined the Cru online broadcast and heard that Miller is out today. Anyone know if it's injury related?

Not sure if they ever went into it but yes he was nursing a sore ankle, didn't seem like it was a serious thing though.

Kelly Boggs

My take on UMHB vs Belhaven = Yawn.

DFWCrufan

Yeah my take too...IT may have been homecoming but sure didn't feel like it

Ralph Turner