FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craft_Beermeister

Good article on Larry Kehres upcoming induction in to College Hall of Fame

https://indd.adobe.com/view/471de211-3903-4d6c-b6da-5c9fd03f753a

reality check

So busy these days but thanks to all who ordered Kickoff on behalf of D3football.com and all the writers.  I've described it as a labor of love and a lifeline to Division III and I do enjoy contributing each and every year as a way of staying the loop while I am literally and figuratively living in a D-III desert.  Awesome to hear that so many went beyond the base price and rounded up.  D-III fans are the best.
OAC Champs: 1942 (one title ties us with Ohio State)
OAC Runners-Up: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1982, 1941 (Stupid Mount Union!)
MOL Champs: 1952, 1950

section13raiderfan

Shouldnt LK be on the list of all time greatest coaches because of good sportsmanship? He coached some awesome players who could have been NCAA all time leaders in several categories if Larry didnt call off the dogs so early in blowout games? Kmic could have unapproachabe numbers if allowed to
Play 60 minute games. Same holds true for several others players in various categories. If the committe couldnt google highest coaching winning percentages.... why are they even on this project? I think that the scoreboard only registering in double digits may have been the reason some of Larrys teams didnt hang a hundred on a few opponents. Im sure the new scoreboard adresses that very issue😳🤤🤔.  Its scrimmage time at last! Im feeling better all ready! Go Raiders!

hsbsballcoach7

So I went to the MU/WJ scrimmage and I'm not sure what to take away. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what VK wants people to say. Poorman and Davis never took one snap that I saw. All other starters played though. Fulford started off rough, then played better after a couple of series but I feel that much of that was scripted because it wasn't fluid at all. The other QB to play was the transfer from Kentucky Christian. I know they didn't want to show anything, but I thought we would be a little tougher physically than WJ. On defense, when we rushed 3, they picked our D apart. DBs looked solid, Dline was ok against run, LB play was simple, then VK turned it up with a little pressure, but not often.

I'm not sure we can take a lot away from this, but the Oline needs work, but not sure it's all on them. Some of that is coverage calls. I did notice 2 freshmen on the 2nd defensive unit. I think Brunson on the Dline and Kalyan at LB. Not sure who #13 was at WR but he showed some skill with a kickoff return for a TD and some nice catches.

WJ looked solid. Their offense moved the ball consistently and their D was ok. I could definitely see them wining the PAC and making the playoffs.

It was difficult to keep track of an official score for 1's and 2's, but I was 24-17 UMU after the 2's went out. I'm not upset or really worried, just need to get a game mentality and my x it up, which I know they will. Any other thoughts out there?

bleedpurple

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on August 24, 2017, 10:21:20 PM
So I went to the MU/WJ scrimmage and I'm not sure what to take away. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what VK wants people to say. Poorman and Davis never took one snap that I saw. All other starters played though. Fulford started off rough, then played better after a couple of series but I feel that much of that was scripted because it wasn't fluid at all. The other QB to play was the transfer from Kentucky Christian. I know they didn't want to show anything, but I thought we would be a little tougher physically than WJ. On defense, when we rushed 3, they picked our D apart. DBs looked solid, Dline was ok against run, LB play was simple, then VK turned it up with a little pressure, but not often.

I'm not sure we can take a lot away from this, but the Oline needs work, but not sure it's all on them. Some of that is coverage calls. I did notice 2 freshmen on the 2nd defensive unit. I think Brunson on the Dline and Kalyan at LB. Not sure who #13 was at WR but he showed some skill with a kickoff return for a TD and some nice catches.

WJ looked solid. Their offense moved the ball consistently and their D was ok. I could definitely see them wining the PAC and making the playoffs.

It was difficult to keep track of an official score for 1's and 2's, but I was 24-17 UMU after the 2's went out. I'm not upset or really worried, just need to get a game mentality and my x it up, which I know they will. Any other thoughts out there?

I know coaches can be pretty paranoid by nature, but would VK really worry about showing something in a scrimmage?  No one can touch the Purple Raiders for 10 weeks.

section13raiderfan

Its not coy to have unguarded recievers catching easy passes on you. Gotta fix that! W&W looked like a team that could make the playoffs if they can stay healthy, so this was no walkover by any means. Our run game needs to be more consistant. We had real tight man coverage on the outside and still got beat  ecause we were caught with our backs to the play and didnt know where the ball was. A tall reciever will kill us because of that. The kicking game was solid. We can be run on. We can pressure the QB but it was not featured much in this game. There is lots of room to improve but we should be fine for our league.

SaintsFAN

Sounds like they kept it vanilla.  I'll tell you from seeing W&J annually, they'll pick you apart if you don't bring extra guys... their WRs are really good.   I've seen them beat (and beat like a drum) when the QB is picking himself up off the ground every play and the defense is playing combo coverages with DBs and LBs. 

I wouldn't read too much into it. 

I also don't believe they'll win the PAC. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Dr. Acula

I'm a little surprised by this, but I guess with NCW and Etta the first two weeks maybe VK is more concerned about protecting them than anything.  They can get their game reps in weeks 1 and 2 since the outcome will not be in question.

How did the RB's look?  I assume it was E-M, Choat and Nero?

USee

I highly doubt VK or any coaches are thinking about "not showing too much" when they play a scrimmage. More likely their installation of the offense and defense (unless you are bringing back 10 starters) isn't complete and/or they are running very basic stuff in a scrimmage because they want to evaluate younger/inexperienced players. They don't want players playing tentative because they don't yet know the calls/plays so they run simple vanilla stuff to see who can play. If a QB can't execute the basic plays in an offense, that tells the coaches something about them and aids in evaluation.

E.115

JCU @ CWRU scrimmage tomorrow (8/26) at 6 PM.

ITH radio

Poorman took 2 series and threw TD passes on each one. Davis had one series.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: USee on August 25, 2017, 10:35:21 AM
I highly doubt VK or any coaches are thinking about "not showing too much" when they play a scrimmage. More likely their installation of the offense and defense (unless you are bringing back 10 starters) isn't complete and/or they are running very basic stuff in a scrimmage because they want to evaluate younger/inexperienced players. They don't want players playing tentative because they don't yet know the calls/plays so they run simple vanilla stuff to see who can play. If a QB can't execute the basic plays in an offense, that tells the coaches something about them and aids in evaluation.

Good explanation and it makes sense that they want them to perfect those plays.

Btw, don't know how I missed Poorman and Fulford playing series....must've been talking too much! I only saw Jawanza E-M and Nero get carried. Not sure on Choat.

No matter what, I'm excited for next Saturday!

Dr. Acula

Excited for Saturday??  I'm so excited I can't wait for the game preview to come out mid-week so we can start memorizing jersey numbers, the 2 deep, etc.!!  (I'm easily entertained)

raiderpa

Tom Arth and UT Chat are on ESPN today at 6:30