FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderdog

When this statement...

Quote from: AndOne on March 22, 2018, 07:20:59 PM
With a guilty plea now having been entered in conjunction with this case, it appears obvious that the Wheaton Police, County States Attorney investigators, and the States Attorney himself took the College's self-perceived "investigation" for a sham, and viewed it as more of an attempted cover up by the College in an attempt to avoid the case going public, for fear of the potential negative exposure Wheaton College might suffer as a result.

is followed by this statement...

None of the above information is speculation. Its all verifiable through TV reports, newspaper articles, and internet postings.

... then indeed, it falls into the spin category. And that's a fact! ... Besides, AndOne, that's exactly what emma17 & wm4 (2 posters without an emotional attachment to Wheaton) were pointing out. I merely thanked them for doing so.

AndOne

Quote from: thunderdog on March 24, 2018, 12:13:38 PM
When this statement...

With a guilty plea now having been entered in conjunction with this case, it appears obvious that the Wheaton Police, County States Attorney investigators, and the States Attorney himself took the College's self-perceived "investigation" for a sham, and viewed it as more of an attempted cover up by the College in an attempt to avoid the case going public, for fear of the potential negative exposure Wheaton College might suffer as a result.

None of the above information is speculation. Its all verifiable through TV reports, newspaper articles, and internet postings.

... then indeed, it falls into the spin category. And that's a fact! ... Besides, AndOne, that's exactly what emma17 & wm4 (2 posters without an emotional attachment to Wheaton) were pointing out. I merely thanked them for doing so.

It sounds like you think that because the information appears on TV, in newspapers, and on the internet it's fake news. With that viewpoint, you could get a job in Washington!
No matter how hard you try to spin it, you just cannot escape the fact that the football players should have immediately been kicked out of school for violating the anti-hazing policy. Spielman admitted it in open court for gosh sakes. And he was involved to a lesser degree than the others.
Any attempt by Wheaton, through their internal "investigation," to minimize what happened cannot be defined as anything other than a sham. Especially when one of the accused has admitted what went on! Stuff like that going on at a Christian College founded, as the sign says, For Christ and His Kingdom?? Come on! I somehow don't think Christ would approve! Wheaton shouldn't have either!

Wheaton is a great place with a multitude of great people. But as I think you'll agree, only one person is perfect. Wheaton was wrong in this case. They, and their supporters, just need to admit it. If they had done so at the onset, they might not currently be facing a lawsuit.

Augie6

Quote from: AndOne on March 24, 2018, 12:44:03 PM
When this statement...

It sounds like you think that because the information appears on TV, in newspapers, and on the internet it's fake news. With that viewpoint, you could get a job in Washington!
No matter how hard you try to spin it, you just cannot escape the fact that the football players should have immediately been kicked out of school for violating the anti-hazing policy. Spielman admitted it in open court for gosh sakes. And he was involved to a lesser degree than the others.
Any attempt by Wheaton, through their internal "investigation," to minimize what happened cannot be defined as anything other than a sham. Especially when one of the accused has admitted what went on! Stuff like that going on at a Christian College founded, as the sign says, For Christ and His Kingdom?? Come on! I somehow don't think Christ would approve! Wheaton shouldn't have either!

Wheaton is a great place with a multitude of great people. But as I think you'll agree, only one person is perfect. Wheaton was wrong in this case. They, and their supporters, just need to admit it. If they had done so at the onset, they might not currently be facing a lawsuit.

AO - I don't have an emotional attachment to Wheaton and I would agree with thunderdog, emma 17 and wm4 that the bolded part of your statement is not fact, but is your opinion of what the Wheaton Police, Investigators and State's Attorney believed about Wheaton's investigation and punishment of the players.  I have followed this story pretty closely and I haven't seen any newspaper article or television report with a statement from any of the investigating entities calling Wheaton College's investigation of the incident "a sham" and referring to their punishment of the players "as an attempted cover-up".  IMHO, I seriously doubt that any part of the College's investigation and punishment of the players had any bearing on the actions taken during the investigation by the State's Attorney.  Please direct us to these articles/reports if they are available and then we can all agree that this statement is a fact.  Short of that, it then becomes your opinion based on speculation.  I'm sure there are others who may share your opinion, but that hardly makes it fact. 
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

duckfan41

Quote from: Augie6 on March 24, 2018, 06:51:10 PM
Quote from: AndOne on March 24, 2018, 12:44:03 PM
When this statement...

AO - I don't have an emotional attachment to Wheaton and I would agree with thunderdog, emma 17 and wm4 that the bolded part of your statement is not fact, but is your opinion of what the Wheaton Police, Investigators and State's Attorney believed about Wheaton's investigation and punishment of the players.  I have followed this story pretty closely and I haven't seen any newspaper article or television report with a statement from any of the investigating entities calling Wheaton College's investigation of the incident "a sham" and referring to their punishment of the players "as an attempted cover-up".  IMHO, I seriously doubt that any part of the College's investigation and punishment of the players had any bearing on the actions taken during the investigation by the State's Attorney.  Please direct us to these articles/reports if they are available and then we can all agree that this statement is a fact.  Short of that, it then becomes your opinion based on speculation.  I'm sure there are others who may share your opinion, but that hardly makes it fact.

If I could give +1 I would lol. Thank you.

robertgoulet

Per North Central athletics official Twitter "Major Announcement regarding Cardinal athletics"  is coming tomorrow.

The only thing that came to mind is "D2?"
You win! You always do!

USee

Or shutting down their terrible football program?

Gotberg

Greg - I saw that North Park announced deposited recruits on Twitter yesterday.  Any feedback on the incoming class?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

robertgoulet

Quote from: USee on May 07, 2018, 04:36:11 PM

Your wish did not come true. It's apparently that they are going to offer women's wrestling as a varsity sport.

The initial tease on Twitter had XXVII (27) on it, and the women's wrestling announcement today said it's the 27th varsity sport.
You win! You always do!

USee

CardinalAlum

:D ::). Usee....+K for the offseason shot!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

CardinalAlum

Quote from: robertgoulet on May 08, 2018, 11:51:46 AM

Your wish did not come true. It's apparently that they are going to offer women's wrestling as a varsity sport.

The initial tease on Twitter had XXVII (27) on it, and the women's wrestling announcement today said it's the 27th varsity sport.

Slow week in NCC news apparently!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

CardinalAlum

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Gotberg on May 08, 2018, 09:01:53 AM
Greg - I saw that North Park announced deposited recruits on Twitter yesterday.  Any feedback on the incoming class?

A couple more have been added this afternoon, bringing the total of deposited recruits up to 42, of which 40 are incoming freshmen and two are transfers. I'm guessing that the recruit total will be bigger than 42 when it's all said and done.

I haven't spoken to any of the coaches yet about the deposited newbies. But the breakdown of where the newbies are from is fascinating:

Chicago  8
Chicagoland suburbs  7
Florida  7
Hawaii  7
Guam  3
Sweden  3
Michigan  2
California  1
downstate Illinois  1
Indiana  1
Puerto Rico  1
Texas  1

A few thoughts:

* No Samoans yet, although some of the Hawaiians may have an ethnic Samoan background. I wonder if the pipeline has dried up, or if it's just a matter of Samoans having their enrollment pending as they get their financial aid worked out. (Samoans generally need lots of aid, as American Samoa is not a place where people are well off; the unemployment rate there is 24%.)

* The Hawaiian and Floridian presence in the North Park football program grows ever larger. However, the once-sizable Texan contingent seems to be shrunk to one member in this class, at least thus far. Hawaii may be the new growth area in North Park athletics recruiting, as there's also a Hawaiian high-school senior who has deposited for 2018-19 who was recruited by the baseball coaching staff.

* Jujuan King will no longer be the most exotic student-athlete in the CCIW, as three of his fellow Guamanians are going to join him on the NPU football team next season. I may have to learn how to say "Good morning" in Chamorro (Guam's native language) for the same broadcasting-related reason that I learned how to say it in Samoan.

* I'm a little alarmed that there's so many Chicagoans in this class, as Chicago kids tend to have high attrition rates. Also, although there are exceptions, they typically don't pan out well in terms of being CCIW-level players. That's partly due to the fact that they've played inferior competition in the city leagues, as compared to the suburbs, and partly because they tend to lag behind their suburban peers in terms of their technique and game knowledge, due to the scarcity of assistant coaches on city teams, the absence of feeder programs, and the fact that city kids typically can't afford to attend summer football camps.

* Likewise, I don't put much stock in the Swedish players. I suspect that, like Rasmus Elfgaard, they'll eventually gravitate to NPU's track & field program (and I sure hope that they turn out to be athletes who are as outstanding in t&f as Rasmus was), although you never know -- you might catch lightning in a bottle and find some Swede who's both really athletic and really dedicated and is able to eventually overcome the familiarity and technique gap between him and the American-bred players. For the most part, though, Swedes are as unproductive on the football team as they are invaluable on the soccer team.

* The low number of suburban kids is a fact of life for North Park football, and it always has been -- and, more than anything else aside from the program's lack of success tending to be self-perpetuating with regard to NPU's desirability as a place to play football, it's the inability to compete for suburban kids on the recruiting trail that has plagued North Park football since the school joined the league back in the early 1960s. It's simply impossible to draw a high volume of suburban football players to a city school, year in and year out. It's telling, though, that now Florida and Hawaii are each producing just as many Vikings as are the 'burbs.

Mike Conway and his staff are doing what is necessary (within the means of the program's budget, of course) to get around that suburban obstacle in order to build their team. I salute them for their hard work and their creativity in doing so. You have to think outside the box as a North Park football coach with regard to recruiting in a way that you don't at most other CCIW schools. How well it will all pan out regarding this particular class, of course, remains to be seen.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

USee

Finally listened to Pat and Keith's latest D3 podcast and Norm Eash was interviewed live (in his office I believe)

http://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2018/05/14/atn-podcast-195-face-to-face/

He spoke of the impact of the opening win over Whitewater (got a congrats call from Larry Kehres) and of the successful season IWU had. Says the UWW game was a 1 year contract. He also was a big advocate of going to Japan for an international trip. Finally he summarized IWU's prospects for the coming season after losing 31 seniors:

-Starting secondary is back along with 2 defensive lineman
-Says the new LB group could be just as good as last years group (This would be surprising but huge for IWU)
-Says all the skill players on offense are back (2 RB's, all WR's, starting QB, all TE's) and they just have to replace 4 of 5 OL (3 of which were all conference)

I think IWU is going to be good but losing 6 of their 9 starting linemen (on O and D) is a huge hurdle given what NCC and Wheaton have coming back. I'll have more to say later this summer but I think the big 2 are the teams to beat with IWU and Carthage vying for 3rd. Millikin has a chance to surprise if they take a step forward this year.

It should be a very competitive CCIW this year.