BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

Mount wins their opener 10-8 over SUNY-Poly.  Congratulations to Coach Hesse on his 400th win at Mount.  I believe I read earlier that he would be 1 of 8 coaches in OAC history with 400 or more wins. 

Dr. Acula

Mount dropped to 2-1 after losing 6-5 in 10 innings to Wartburg yesterday.  Down 5-4 in the 9th the Raiders had 2nd and 3rd and nobody out, but only pushed across the tying run.

Etta opened in OH and swept OWU at their place.  Tale of 2 games as the first game was tight (4-1) while the 2nd was not so much (19-2). 

ONU is off to a 3-1 start and is getting really good pitching so far.  Freshman Jack Schaller tossed 5 innings of 1 hit ball with 11 K's in his debut.  Not terrible.  I looked at their roster against their box scores and they have a couple seniors, but that's about it.  Lots of So/Jr in the field.

Ott has dropped 3 of their last 4 and now sits at 7-3.  They lost 3-0 to SJF and 5-4 to Wartburg so I wouldn't celebrate their demise just yet.  They also seem to kick the ball around a little.  I feel like every time I look at one of their box scores they have unearned runs sprinkled in there.

JCU split with Haverford.  They're now 2-3.  Freshman Fred Moore picked up his first collegiate W in the 8-2 win.

Dr. Acula

Etta moved up a couple spots to #18 this week.  Ott dropped just outside the top 25 while BW took their spot appearing at #24 this week.

Jim Dixon

Congrats go to Mount's Paul Hesse for his 400th win. 

Dr. Acula

Interesting battle today...Wooster and Cap are hurling their aces against each other this afternoon.  Woo is up 2-1 in the 6th.

old scot

Woo wins 3-1. By the way Doc, those gold shirts where part of the uni's dating back to the late 70's when I arrived on campus. Can't say anyone liked them then.

Dr. Acula

Really good pitching from Houdek/Saran for Wooster.  Cap definitely raised an eyebrow though.  They lead off the 9th with 2 hits so they had a shot to tie that thing up possibly.  At 8-3 and looking at their results so far I don't think Cap is going to be an easy out in OAC play this year.  They're going to cause a few problems.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: old scot on March 09, 2017, 05:21:08 PM
Woo wins 3-1. By the way Doc, those gold shirts where part of the uni's dating back to the late 70's when I arrived on campus. Can't say anyone liked them then.

At the risk of Jim Dixon renaming the Mideast boards "Project Runway" I'll comment on the gold Wooster jerseys.  My issue with them is the shade of gold I think.  I just don't think it looks good as a primary jersey color with white or gray pants.  It does, however, look really good as a trim color on their other jerseys.  Another team who wears something similar (albeit more yellow than true gold) is BW.  I don't care for their yellow jerseys either, but when you get dealt brown and yellow I feel sorry for you more than anything else.  Good luck trying to make that look good.   

Dr. Acula

Mount started a freshman and relieved him with a freshman no doubt because the BW DH is looming, but it is not doing them any favors today.  Walks, wild pitches, errors...this is not how you want to head into a big DH.  DeSales has scored in every inning so far and it's ugly (13-3).  I don't fault Hesse for not even thinking about using an arm you'd go to in a conference DH.  You just can't.  Especially this early in the season where your guys might not have the gas tank they'd have in May.

Dr. Acula

OAC play is officially under way.  Mount takes the opener 4-1 over BW.  That's a big win out of the gate.  Phil Mary pitched a great game going 8 and surrendering only an unearned run. 

Mount completes the sweep winning the 2nd game 5-0.  Noah Skladan tossed 7.2 shutout innings.  BW really struggled all day with the bats.  In this game they did not get a base hit after the 3rd inning until the 8th inning.  During that 4 inning stretch they had three 1-2-3 innings and just one base runner (walk) .  Tough to win that way.

Jim Dixon

When dealt with an odd color combination, the home whites are the best.  Apparetnly the only place orange and maroon go together is at Virginia Tech. 

Baldwin Wallace can always look at how Wyoming deals with yellow and brown uniforms.

....and no truth to the rumor to the name change to project runaway :)

Dr. Acula

Mount improved to 9-3 by sweeping their northern debut at Witt yesterday.  They got pretty good pitching all day as they won 6-2 and 5-3.  DH Joey Keleman is off to a hot start in his first season as a starter (.512) as he hit his 3rd and 4th homers of the spring yesterday.  Goodall (.488) is picking up where he left off last year when he was All-OAC as a soph.  He plated the winning runs in the 2nd game with a 2 out double in the 8th.

Dr. Acula

Mount is halfway through its DH at Westminster today.  They took the opener 7-0 behind McCristal's strong start.  The big blow offensively was a Goodall grand slam.  Soph. Nate Owen lead off and went 2-3 with 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 SB.  He's battling with Jr. Angelo Cruz for the 3rd OF spot early on.       

Mount completes the sweep with a 4-2 win.  Satovich traded in his 1st baseman's glove for a regular one and went 5.2 IP to get the win.  He had a 1 hit shutout through 5 before running into a little trouble in the 6th.  Owen is trying to force Hesse to keep him in the lineup.  He went 4-4 with a 2B in game 2.  Mount is now 11-3 overall.

Dr. Acula

Looking at the results as we head toward the first full weekend of OAC play has me thinking this may be a wild year.  So many head scratching results.

Etta, IMO, is the favorite even sitting at 5-5 currently.  Because Etta always plays an obscene OOC schedule I only really put stock in the results if they roll into OAC play 11-1 or something because then we know the rest of us are probably in trouble that year.  Anything at or around .500 tells me they're what they almost always are...good enough to win the OAC.

Ott (11-4) is the only ranked team we have currently.  They've got some good pitching.  I don't know much about their bats to be honest.  They're kind of like Mount in my mind right now...nice record, but not an overly impressive resume.  The big difference being Ott owns a win over #16 Augustana (12-1).  They also played SJF tough losing 3-0.  The Cards would be my pick for #2 in the OAC right now.

ONU (8-6) caught my eye taking 2 of 3 from TMC in the last week.  Their worst loss is to Bridgewater (8-10).  Other than that it's SJF and teams with .667 or better WP.  Nothing to really raise an eyebrow I guess was my point there.

Mount (11-3) is off to a better start than I expected.  Their pitching has been a pleasant surprise.  But since it's my own team I am always overly cautious.  The sweep of BW was eye opening, especially the pitching performances.  They open at Etta Saturday.  If they leave town with a split...   

BW (10-4) has 4 losses.  Mount twice, Wheaton and a D1 team (Central Michigan).  They've scored double digits in half of their games.  Other than against Mount they at least 4 runs in every game.  My point being that they are going to be a royal pain when they come up on your schedule.  I still have no idea how Mount completely shut them down.  They came out today and knocked around OWU's ace so whatever slump they had is over it appears.

Cap (9-5) is an enigma.  They went toe to toe with Wooster.  Really good game.  They've got several legit hitters and they've got a couple quality arms in the rotation (and another in the pen).  I just question if they have enough depth.  They're going to beat some people in OAC play.  And honestly, I'd love to see them make the top 4 just to liven things up with new blood.  Maybe Mount and Cap can add a purple flavor this year.       

I'm not sold on Berg (8-6) right now.  Their best win is over Wheaton (9-4).  But they've also lost to Anderson (5-7) and just dropped 2 of 3 to Manchester (3-7).  Hajdu has been really good for them, but after him?  Yikes.  Their next most reliable starter is a freshman with a 4.57 ERA.  And that's not a knock on that kid (Deemer).  That's really good for a freshman, but Berg isn't accustomed to being forced to use a freshman as their #2.  I am not confident about what happens when they get into the meat of the OAC schedule where weekday conference games force your #3/4 guys to start multiple OAC games.

I think JCU (6-8) is a little down this year.  I just don't think they have the arms right now.         

Dr. Acula

Mount wins the opener at Etta 8-3 behind a dominant performance from Mary.  He allowed 1 run on 3 hits over 7 IP.  I listened to it on the radio and Etta just really could not get much going offensively against him.  He's now 4-0 with dominant starts against BW and Etta.  Not bad.  The Pios also uncharacteristically had 4 IF errors.  They showed some signs of life in the 9th scoring a couple runs and stringing some hits together so they're going to come out swinging in game 2 I'm sure.