New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldNed

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but for anyone interested in the history of soccer in the US and New England in particular, there's a terrific article about the Fall River Marksmen on the Boston.com website.  Enjoy!

https://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/2018/06/21/american-soccer-history-fall-river-world-cup

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: OldNed on June 21, 2018, 04:27:57 PM
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but for anyone interested in the history of soccer in the US and New England in particular, there's a terrific article about the Fall River Marksmen on the Boston.com website.  Enjoy!

https://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/2018/06/21/american-soccer-history-fall-river-world-cup

Great story Ned!  I live just a few miles away in Barrington, RI, and the region, including Pawtucket and Central Falls, is still a hotbed for producing talent. After disappearance of the ASL, the LASA (Luso-American Soccer Association) League eventually sprung up and became a premier semi-pro league until about 2000, with teams in Southeastern Mass. and RI.

OldNed

So I was bored this weekend and I did a little bit of statistical analysis of the teams included in the final 2017 New England Regional Rankings. Those teams are as follows:

1   Tufts
2   Amherst
3   Brandeis
4   Springfield
5   Middlebury
6   Connecticut College
7   Bowdoin
8   Johnson & Wales (RI)
9   Williams
10   Endicott
11   St. Joseph's (ME)
12   Gordon

I was curious to see which team(s) might be most affected by graduations/other players leaving the program.  I looked at jst the rosters from last year and looked at seniors who are leaving, or other players who are known to be leaving.  The table that follows shows the total # of goals each team scored in 2017 and the percentage of that scoring lost. Seems logical to think that those teams that lost more scoring might struggle to score more than those teams that lost fewer goals. 

% Goals lost   Total goals
Williams     36.84%           19
Gordon     33.33%           24
Springfield     31.11%           45
Brandeis     31.11%           45
Endicott     29.73%           37
Tufts             27.50%           40
Bowdoin     26.32%           19
Amherst     23.68%           38
SJC             16.42%           67
Middlebury  11.11%           18
Conn           6.25%           32
J&W            2.94%           34

So SJC, Middlebury, Connecticut College and Johnson & Wales all lost less than 20% of their goals scored from 2017, with Johnson & Wales losing only 1 goal scored out of 34.  Pretty impressive and they should give SJC a tough time in the GNAC in 2018.  On the other hand, Williams, Gordon, Springfield, and Brandeis all lost over 30% of their goals scored, so theoretically they may be in for tougher years in 2018. 

It's stunning to me that Williams, Bowdoin, and Middlebury all scored less than 20 goals during the entire 2018 season. To me that shows 2 things - defense seems to king in the NESCAC and there is a definite lack of creativity for some NESCAC teams.

Can't wait to see some actual games played...

rangerfan

Quote from: OldNed on July 30, 2018, 09:54:46 AM
So I was bored this weekend and I did a little bit of statistical analysis of the teams included in the final 2017 New England Regional Rankings. Those teams are as follows:

1   Tufts
2   Amherst
3   Brandeis
4   Springfield
5   Middlebury
6   Connecticut College
7   Bowdoin
8   Johnson & Wales (RI)
9   Williams
10   Endicott
11   St. Joseph's (ME)
12   Gordon

I was curious to see which team(s) might be most affected by graduations/other players leaving the program.  I looked at jst the rosters from last year and looked at seniors who are leaving, or other players who are known to be leaving.  The table that follows shows the total # of goals each team scored in 2017 and the percentage of that scoring lost. Seems logical to think that those teams that lost more scoring might struggle to score more than those teams that lost fewer goals. 

So SJC, Middlebury, Connecticut College and Johnson & Wales all lost less than 20% of their goals scored from 2017, with Johnson & Wales losing only 1 goal scored out of 34.  Pretty impressive and they should give SJC a tough time in the GNAC in 2018.  On the other hand, Williams, Gordon, Springfield, and Brandeis all lost over 30% of their goals scored, so theoretically they may be in for tougher years in 2018. 

It's stunning to me that Williams, Bowdoin, and Middlebury all scored less than 20 goals during the entire 2018 season. To me that shows 2 things - defense seems to king in the NESCAC and there is a definite lack of creativity for some NESCAC teams.

Interesting analysis. IMHO I wouldn't get too caught up in what a team loses, I'd look further at what they have moving forward.

My son is a committed 2019 NESCAC recruit and the coach said he was looking for 3 things in his 2019 class--an outside back, a midfielder, and goals. Coach said he doesn't care what position the goals come from--he wants chances, because chances lead to goals. And he wants goals! It was a very interesting conversation.

OldNed

Quote from: rangerfan on July 30, 2018, 11:30:55 AM
Quote from: OldNed on July 30, 2018, 09:54:46 AM

1   Tufts
2   Amherst
3   Brandeis
4   Springfield
5   Middlebury
6   Connecticut College
7   Bowdoin
8   Johnson & Wales (RI)
9   Williams
10   Endicott
11   St. Joseph's (ME)
12   Gordon

Interesting analysis. IMHO I wouldn't get too caught up in what a team loses, I'd look further at what they have moving forward.

My son is a committed 2019 NESCAC recruit and the coach said he was looking for 3 things in his 2019 class--an outside back, a midfielder, and goals. Coach said he doesn't care what position the goals come from--he wants chances, because chances lead to goals. And he wants goals! It was a very interesting conversation.

Rangerfan,
good luck to your son in 2019 in the NESCAC. I hope he gets a lot of playing time and can provide some of those goals his coach is looking for, and I'm sure he'll love his college experiences, too.

NEsoccerfan20

Endicott's schedule announced as well... another good out of conference string of games for the Gulls who have a good chance to be among the top teams in New England this year.

http://www.ecgulls.com/sports/msoc/index

Mr.Right

That is a real solid schedule for Endicott. Picking up Brandeis and Rochester plus some Nescac and Newmac games. Joey must be confident in his team for the next 2 years. The 2 transfers should help along with a nice Freshman class. Maybe he feels they have a real solid chance at winning the CCC every year so why not beef up the non conference schedule to get a high SOS and plenty of chances to get results against ranked teams. This gives you a back up plan if you get upset in the conference tournament. I love this approach. I will be interested to see it all play out especially to start the season.

NEsoccerfan

Quote from: Mr.Right on August 08, 2018, 12:33:36 PM
That is a real solid schedule for Endicott. Picking up Brandeis and Rochester plus some Nescac and Newmac games. Joey must be confident in his team for the next 2 years. The 2 transfers should help along with a nice Freshman class. Maybe he feels they have a real solid chance at winning the CCC every year so why not beef up the non conference schedule to get a high SOS and plenty of chances to get results against ranked teams. This gives you a back up plan if you get upset in the conference tournament. I love this approach. I will be interested to see it all play out especially to start the season.

Where are the transfers from?

NEsoccerfan20

GK from Boston College Jack Bacon and a midfielder from Clemson Jon Breed.

OldNed

I'm looking forward to the start of the season - will be going to SJC/Gordon on Friday and SJC/Endicott on Sunday, two good early season tests for both sides. 

Here's a clip of incoming SJC freshman Chukwudi Onyejose scoring in a scrimmage from Monday against UNE and celebrating afterwards.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnEaj_kgjx5/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=nujwxppwnhw5

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on August 08, 2018, 12:33:36 PM

Didn't notice the Rochester game until now. That's a very good add for both teams in terms of SoS (moreso for Endicott, I think, given Rochester's conference schedule) but I was quite intrigued to see that the Yellowjackets will be coming out here for just one Saturday game, particularly considering they're visiting Brandeis the previous Friday.

Of course, when playing Brandeis away on any weekend except for the final one, Rochester will also generally travel to NYU, per UAA scheduling, so I get why they couldn't swing both schools in one trip. Moreover, it falls between two UAA weekends (away then home), so perhaps they saw this as a good opportunity to go on the road and only have to play one Saturday afternoon game.

Either way, good addition for the schedule, and definitely one to check out.

blooter442

On Brandeis-Endicott, that will be one of the New England (non-conference) games of the season IMHO on the opening night. The two teams scrimmaged last year in pre-season with Brandeis winning 1-0. I genuinely think it's too close to call — I think Brandeis is the favorite on paper due to pedigree, but as previously mentioned Endicott picked up two good transfers, returns a strong cast, and upset eventual national champion Tufts early in the season two years ago. The Gulls will be fired up for this one, particularly with it being at home, and I have a sneaky feeling they could spring an upset. Will be fun to watch.

Mr.Right

Agreed the game tonight between Endicott and Brandeis should be one of the better non conference D3 games. It will be interesting to watch it play out but I am not sure Endicott will have enough to actually defeat Brandeis which is coming off back to back NCAA Final 4's. I know Brandeis has graduated a ton and Endicott has brought in some talent but I think Brandeis takes care of businees. Another interesting game or 2 will be St. Joe's and Gordon plus Babson at Dickinson which kicks off at 5.

blooter442

Endicott with the game's first couple of shots, but Brandeis seems to be settling down now. Some nice combinations.

Elsewhere, Babson led Dickinson for much of the game before the Red Devils tied things up 1-1 with about 20 left in the game. Now in OT.

blooter442

Looks like Brandeis is playing Nardizzi at No. 9. From what I've heard he's gelled quite well. Would be great for the Judges if he could mark his debut with a goal.