FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 16, 2017, 12:12:34 PM
I know it's a lot to hope. It's the only way WL has a shot IMO.  It cuts both ways, MU will have trouble in practice replicating the WL offense at the speed in which WL runs it. Assignment football takes lots of reps and focus. MU has great athletes for sure but they are still 18-21 year olds. Anything can happen!  SHOCK THE D3 WORLD!

I like it... Make it happen Generals.

onceamink

Quote from: Birddawg79 on November 17, 2017, 04:26:18 PM
http://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/oh-stark/mount-union-quarterback-arrested-on-assault-warrant-out-of-florida

Status as a member of the team unchanged.  W&L doesn't have the same priorities as most D3 schools, I still would have turned down the bid. :-)

Glad the Generals get the experience of playing one more game, NCAA can keep the rest. 

Hope you enjoy the trip birddawg79.   

MUC57

Birddawg79

Have a safe trip to Alliance. Hope to see you somewhere. I'll be wearing a purple hat, carrying a purple seat cushion with a large "Raiders""on it and a purple "Raiders" umbrella. I just described at least half of the Mount fans. I'll look for you anyway.
Good luck to two good teams!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: onceamink on November 17, 2017, 05:23:33 PM
http://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/oh-stark/mount-union-quarterback-arrested-on-assault-warrant-out-of-florida

Status as a member of the team unchanged.  W&L doesn't have the same priorities as most D3 schools, I still would have turned down the bid. :-)

Glad the Generals get the experience of playing one more game, NCAA can keep the rest. 

MU has not won a dozen NCAA's by recruiting choirboys.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

raiderpa

Mount has always taken care of problems by booting players or sitting them thru suspensions.  I would be shocked if the QB sees the field for the remainder of the playoffs.  Most Mount fans would feel the same.  We are proud of our institution, and also proud of the way the football program has presented itself over the years.  If you check the OAC boards, Desert Raider was a professor at Mount and he shines some light on how coaches handled athletes who missed classes.
We will see tomorrow.
On the scouting report, I think Mount will man up on the receivers, and put big numbers in the box to try to limit the running game.  I am sure the Generals will slash a few big plays, but for the most part Mount has been superior to most teams making adjustments to stop opponents.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 17, 2017, 08:44:27 PM

If I am interpreting your comment as you meant it, please note that Larry Kehres was/is immensely proud that gaudy as his winning percentage was, his graduation percentage was even higher.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 17, 2017, 10:43:49 PM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 17, 2017, 08:44:27 PM

If I am interpreting your comment as you meant it, please note that Larry Kehres was/is immensely proud that gaudy as his winning percentage was, his graduation percentage was even higher.

Where does one find graduation rates for D3. This year's roster has over 70 freshmen and only 40 seniors.  I would think this would have been similar to the elder Kehres' numbers. I doubt his overall winning percentage was 55%. 

What I meant by my comment is when recruiting football players a coach's first question typically is not "Do you have any citizenship awards?"  Teams try to recruit bad asses who are also good citizens.  When there's trouble teams learn - sometimes they turnout not to be the best guys and sometimes great guys are caught up in bad situations.

As for your QB starting today or at anytime during the playoffs. I say let the coach decide. We don't know the circumstances.
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Graduation rate only applies to seniors on the roster in the general sense. The APR looks at who started as freshman and graduated within 5 years, whether they stay in the program or not, but generally graduation rate is just those on the roster.

onceamink

Quote from: jknezek on November 18, 2017, 09:38:54 AM
Graduation rate only applies to seniors on the roster in the general sense. The APR looks at who started as freshman and graduated within 5 years, whether they stay in the program or not, but generally graduation rate is just those on the roster.

As the one who set this off, it makes no difference who MU plays at QB.  The difference in the lines (both o and d) will allow MU to dominate today.  MU could start their right tackle at qb and win by 50+ (probably by 60+).   MU had nothing to lose by saying the qb would be suspended this week until they looked into the matter further.  They would have won both the press conference and the game.  Not what I would do but I'm not them.

As for graduation rates and the like:  most D3 schools NEED high retention rates and hence also high graduation rates.   Most schools are tuition driven and hence need to keep students.   I understand this and DO NOT JUDGE those schools.  You can get a great education anywhere it mostly depends on the student.

MU uses their football as their biggest selling point.  It is their national branding.  They HAVE to win to keep up applications.  Football is a major priority for their school's success.  This is similar to lots of major football schools.  Virginia Tech grew in academic standing because they went to a BCS championship game.  W&L is different and that is fine too.

I have had few college athletes skip classes over the years.  Those that did, usually didn't stay in school long.  It was tough on the players the year the DI women's basketball team practiced at 5:30am, but my players always made it to class!  Huge time commitment for college athletes.

Best wishes to all.  I hope everyone keeps their ears warm.

HSCTiger fan

Announcers for MUC obviously did not do their homework on WL.  Predicting WL to have less than 100 yards rushing and constantly calling the plays WL run as "tricks". Have they never seen the option? 
Hampden Sydney College

jknezek

UMU's announcers are well known Homers. No big deal. W&L did great. The game really wasn't ever in much doubt as their defense was too big, fast, and disciplined, but the Generals played very solid defense and executed the game plan to keep possession and keep UMU's offense off the field. We just couldn't push them in. 260+ yards against their defense and 18 first downs was a very good showing, but I really wish we had punched one in.

Great season Generals, excellent effort and work today. Extremely proud of the guys for this year. Going to miss the seniors, and thrilled they went out with an ODAC title and probably the best playoff game yet. The future seems bright.

onceamink

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 18, 2017, 01:48:10 PM
Announcers for MUC obviously did not do their homework on WL.  Predicting WL to have less than 100 yards rushing and constantly calling the plays WL run as "tricks". Have they never seen the option?

No one has seen the option the way W&L runs it. :-)  Breece finished with over a 100.  Generals finish with 220 rushing.  Had hoped for a td but it is what it is.

W&L defense was legit.  Great season for the Generals for remarkable considering they are missing their starting qb and running back.  Hopefully this season will lead to more recruits next year.

mr_mom

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on November 18, 2017, 01:48:10 PM

Capital used to run the triple-option, so the announcers have seen it, but it was nothing like what W&L runs.

On the flip side, I thought your announcers were brilliant in describing the action.
Never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

WashJeff68

Looked at the stats of the W&L game and was really surprised. I doubt UMU has had a first round game this close......ever.

Regarding the UMU QB, a few years ago a team on our conference recruited a player who had some serious legal difficulties at his D1 school and became, shall we say, available. After thinking about this, I thought not all schools would give him a second chance, but perhaps he deserved one. As far as I know he took advantage of it, completed his eligibility, and got a degree. He also was a dominant player, as you would expect.

Older than Springtime...Younger than dirt