FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks88

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 21, 2018, 11:30:06 AM
Quote from: gridironsouthernboy on October 21, 2018, 08:42:53 AM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 20, 2018, 04:39:50 PM
GC HSC game was a great one. Both teams played well.  Right before halftime GC got a first down with about 5 seconds to play. Instead of spiking the ball GC ran out their FG kicker to attempt a FG before the half.  EVERYONE WATCHING THE GAME saw the clock at 0:00 BEFORE the ball was snapped.  Everyone but the back judge.   They awarded the Quakers 3 points!  It was the most ridiculous call I've ever seen.  The snap was a full second AFTER time expired.

All turned out well for the Tigers as Cobb was great, and Smith was unstoppable!  Smith went 30 for 214 rushing, 12 for 118 receiving and even went 1-1 for 9 yards passing.  Amazing day for Garnet and Gray!
I was watching via internet, and you are correct about the kick at the end of the half.  As a GC fan, I am really glad those were not the winning points. I know we lost, but I only would have want to win if it was by 4 or more pts.

Why didn't they spike the ball? My guess is  maybe they don't practice it. QB can only spike if he takes the ball from under center. GC is in shotgun ,all the time. This kills me when a team needs one yard and they hike the ball 5 yards deep before they go forward.  Just an old-school coach with simple old-school thoughts.

Upon further review!!!!!

After viewing the play frame by frame it looks to me as is the center was snapping the ball as time expired.  It did not matter in the end.

I coach middle school football.  We used to never go under center either.  We called a 2 by 2 or a 3 by 1 formation and had the QB throw it at the inside receivers feet. Might have taken an extra second but certainly better than not being able to spike the ball.
Does anybody here know the rule for spiking the ball after fumbling the snap? I was watching a few minutes of Maryville - LaGrange before our game yesterday and near the end of the first half LaGrange had the ball, out of time-outs, and completed a long pass to the 5 yard line. They ran down and got lined up, the QB dropped the snap and picked it back up and spiked it. Everyone stood there for a couple of counts and apparently no whistle blew so a Maryville guy picked it up and ran about 10 or 15 yards before being tackled. The officials got together and gave Maryville the ball. Does that seem right? I would think that at worst it MIGHT be intentional grounding instead of a live ball.

Pat Coleman

The wording I see on a spike says "immediately upon receiving the snap" so I can see where a fumbled snap would eliminate your ability to stop the clock with a spike.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

y_jack_lok

R-MC with 10 points in this week's top 25 voting. That could be from one ballot at #16 to ten ballots at #25. I'd like to think it isn't just one voter. Likely whoever had them at #21 last week has moved them up (but not all the way to 16) and hopefully there are one or two other voters starting to take notice.

Pat Coleman, can you provide info on the number of ballots as you did last week? I would be grateful and hope others would be as well.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: Hawks88 on October 21, 2018, 05:57:40 PM
GC HSC game was a great one. Both teams played well.  Right before halftime GC got a first down with about 5 seconds to play. Instead of spiking the ball GC ran out their FG kicker to attempt a FG before the half.  EVERYONE WATCHING THE GAME saw the clock at 0:00 BEFORE the ball was snapped.  Everyone but the back judge.   They awarded the Quakers 3 points!  It was the most ridiculous call I've ever seen.  The snap was a full second AFTER time expired.

All turned out well for the Tigers as Cobb was great, and Smith was unstoppable!  Smith went 30 for 214 rushing, 12 for 118 receiving and even went 1-1 for 9 yards passing.  Amazing day for Garnet and Gray!
I was watching via internet, and you are correct about the kick at the end of the half.  As a GC fan, I am really glad those were not the winning points. I know we lost, but I only would have want to win if it was by 4 or more pts.

Why didn't they spike the ball? My guess is  maybe they don't practice it. QB can only spike if he takes the ball from under center. GC is in shotgun ,all the time. This kills me when a team needs one yard and they hike the ball 5 yards deep before they go forward.  Just an old-school coach with simple old-school thoughts.

Upon further review!!!!!

After viewing the play frame by frame it looks to me as is the center was snapping the ball as time expired.  It did not matter in the end.

I coach middle school football.  We used to never go under center either.  We called a 2 by 2 or a 3 by 1 formation and had the QB throw it at the inside receivers feet. Might have taken an extra second but certainly better than not being able to spike the ball.
Does anybody here know the rule for spiking the ball after fumbling the snap? I was watching a few minutes of Maryville - LaGrange before our game yesterday and near the end of the first half LaGrange had the ball, out of time-outs, and completed a long pass to the 5 yard line. They ran down and got lined up, the QB dropped the snap and picked it back up and spiked it. Everyone stood there for a couple of counts and apparently no whistle blew so a Maryville guy picked it up and ran about 10 or 15 yards before being tackled. The officials got together and gave Maryville the ball. Does that seem right? I would think that at worst it MIGHT be intentional grounding instead of a live ball.

Searching the web I found this: "Because it's specifically permitted by the intentional grounding rule.

Rule 8, section 2, article 1 of the NFL Rules:

Item 3: Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.

The NCAA has a similar rule (rule 7, section 3, article 2 of the NCAA rules):

ARTICLE 2. A forward pass is illegal if:

e. The passer to conserve time throws the ball directly to the ground (1) after the ball has already touched the ground; or (2) not immediately after controlling the ball.

So spiking is legal only if the snap was not fumbled, unlike the NFL."

I looked it up and it appears it should have been a penalty:PENALTY [a-g]—Five yards from the spot of the foul; also loss of down if by Team A before team possession changes during a scrimmage down (A.R. 3-4-3-IV and A.R. 7-3-2-II) [S35 and S9].
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Pat Coleman

Quote from: y_jack_lok on October 21, 2018, 07:08:35 PM
R-MC with 10 points in this week's top 25 voting. That could be from one ballot at #16 to ten ballots at #25. I'd like to think it isn't just one voter. Likely whoever had them at #21 last week has moved them up (but not all the way to 16) and hopefully there are one or two other voters starting to take notice.

Pat Coleman, can you provide info on the number of ballots as you did last week? I would be grateful and hope others would be as well.

One No. 19, one No. 24, one No. 25. But this is the last time I'll provide a breakdown, because we don't usually do so. Thanks!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Hawks88

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 21, 2018, 07:44:21 PM
Quote from: Hawks88 on October 21, 2018, 05:57:40 PM

Upon further review!!!!!

Searching the web I found this: "Because it's specifically permitted by the intentional grounding rule.

Rule 8, section 2, article 1 of the NFL Rules:

Item 3: Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.

The NCAA has a similar rule (rule 7, section 3, article 2 of the NCAA rules):

ARTICLE 2. A forward pass is illegal if:

e. The passer to conserve time throws the ball directly to the ground (1) after the ball has already touched the ground; or (2) not immediately after controlling the ball.

So spiking is legal only if the snap was not fumbled, unlike the NFL."

I looked it up and it appears it should have been a penalty:PENALTY [a-g]—Five yards from the spot of the foul; also loss of down if by Team A before team possession changes during a scrimmage down (A.R. 3-4-3-IV and A.R. 7-3-2-II) [S35 and S9].
Thanks, I was having trouble finding anything specific to that. Sounds like it should have been a penalty and definitely not a live ball.

hasanova

Quote from: Air Raid on October 20, 2018, 06:37:06 PM
what an amazing day of football.  Ferrum and WL tied with less than 4 minutes to go and 3 games decided by a total of 8 points.   Great day to be a fan of the ODAC
Yes, it was ... all four games decided in the last second or OT by 11 total points.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 21, 2018, 07:46:22 PM
Quote from: y_jack_lok on October 21, 2018, 07:08:35 PM

One No. 19, one No. 24, one No. 25. But this is the last time I'll provide a breakdown, because we don't usually do so. Thanks!

I understand. Thanks.

hasanova

By everyone, do you mean HSC fans?  Looked good to us.  :)  In a bit of Faustian speculation, I believe Marty Favret sold his soul to the devil late one night at the intersection of Hwy 15 and College Rd to make sure he wins over Guilford no matter how unlikely that outcome looks. 

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: hasanova on October 21, 2018, 08:42:42 PM

By everyone, do you mean HSC fans?  Looked good to us.  :)  In a bit of Faustian speculation, I believe Marty Favret sold his soul to the devil late one night at the intersection of Hwy 15 and College Rd to make sure he wins over Guilford no matter how unlikely that outcome looks.

You may have missed the post but I looked at it frame by frame, it was very close but it was good.  HSC certainly has GCs number. If misery loves company, EH has done no better against Marty coached Tigers. I think Marty is 31-5 or 32-4 against GC and EH.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 22, 2018, 08:38:25 AM
Quote from: hasanova on October 21, 2018, 08:42:42 PM

You may have missed the post but I looked at it frame by frame, it was very close but it was good.  HSC certainly has GCs number. If misery loves company, EH has done no better against Marty coached Tigers. I think Marty is 31-5 or 32-4 against GC and EH.
It doesn't help.  I am soooooo tired of losing to Hampden-Sydney.  lol

With the score tied at 35 and Guilford intercepting Cobb at the Tiger 19, you would think the Quakers would be in a great position to score and win the game.  After a good run on 1st is called back with the first of a series of penalties, the Quakers then have 4th and 29 at the 38.  A good punt pins the Tigers at the 7 and there is still hope for OT.  The last 17 yard pass to place the ball at the Guilford 29 really hurt ... and then it was the kicker's career long.  C'est la vie.

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

I know you are disappointed; good luck for the remainder of the season.
Two pretty good running backs in that game. Fun to watch both of them.

CaliJacketDR

Road trip to E&H for RMC this week. Always a tough game; long trip, mediocre visitor facilities, loud (raucous; unpleasant?) fan base. I hated those trips.

I remember when they had a lot of promise, but simply has not translated well over the past decade. Need to get on them early, keep the foot on the gas pedal, and do much better than we did against BC.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on October 22, 2018, 05:05:14 PM
Hasa

I know you are disappointed; good luck for the remainder of the season.
Two pretty good running backs in that game. Fun to watch both of them.
Yes, I am, but that's life.  Thanks ... same to HSC.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: CaliJacketDR on October 22, 2018, 08:42:34 PM
Road trip to E&H for RMC this week. Always a tough game; long trip, mediocre visitor facilities, loud (raucous; unpleasant?) fan base. I hated those trips.

I remember when they had a lot of promise, but simply has not translated well over the past decade. Need to get on them early, keep the foot on the gas pedal, and do much better than we did against BC.

I watched the loss at E&H two years ago. My memory is that the Jacket offenense was abysmal in that game. It was later in the season that Estes (who I think didn't play in that game) began starting at QB. The offense improved with him running it, and he has an additional 1+ seasons under his belt now. Also, Frederick and Hoy were sophomores then. So I think the offense is not likely to have as bad a game this year. But, as I said a week or two ago, every game is a unique thing. There are no guarantees.