FB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cush

My take would be those 4,  rhodes, hendrix, sewanee, centre, goal is to start a completely new league if they do leave the scac. Add Milsaps, Birmingham southern, Oglethorpe, and berry brings you to 8 quickly, no need for those 3 scac school's to stay if the first wave of departures happen.  The last two spots, 10 seems like the best number for a conference, would go to school's in that footprint. Georgetown probably would be a lock for spot 9 if they move to d3. Who knows who gets the last spot but having a football program would help. The easier route would be just to expand the scac to 16 teams. If this does go down this way, the 4 texas school's and Colorado college should still be able to land a couple of school's to make a conference worthwhile from that grouping.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: cush on May 25, 2011, 11:49:59 AM
My take would be those 4,  rhodes, hendrix, sewanee, centre, goal is to start a completely new league if they do leave the scac. Add Milsaps, Birmingham southern, Oglethorpe, and berry brings you to 8 quickly, no need for those 3 scac school's to stay if the first wave of departures happen.  The last two spots, 10 seems like the best number for a conference, would go to school's in that footprint. Georgetown probably would be a lock for spot 9 if they move to d3. Who knows who gets the last spot but having a football program would help. The easier route would be just to expand the scac to 16 teams. If this does go down this way, the 4 texas school's and Colorado college should still be able to land a couple of school's to make a conference worthwhile from that grouping.
cush, who do you think would make good candidates for a new "Texas SCAC"?

Centenary is 4 years away from full membership.

cush

That is a good ?, its a lot easier to look at the eastern SCAC breakaway's, in which case a new league of:

Centre, Rhodes, Sewanee, Hendrix, Milsaps, Birmingham Southern, Oglethorpe, and Berry is viable off the bat.  Spots 9- 10 could go to maybe another kentucky school? Georgetown or KWC if either make a move or you got  transylvania + thomas moore  who could possibly switch leagues, they probably aren't interested. Yet, with huntingdon college being an orphan with football now, you could add them and only one new kentucky school to get to 10 with nice travel partners.   As for the western scac,  the base of dallas, trinity, SW, Austin and CC is a nice start. Centenary sure would seem like a good fit notwithstanding the delay in full membership to get to 6. From there, it gets more difficult to find the next 3-4 school's, maybe neb W but they are an island like cc. I guess they could look at some naia school's in that area or focus on any ASC willing to move.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: cush on May 26, 2011, 10:00:17 AM
That is a good ?, its a lot easier to look at the eastern SCAC breakaway's, in which case a new league of:

Centre, Rhodes, Sewanee, Hendrix, Milsaps, Birmingham Southern, Oglethorpe, and Berry is viable off the bat.  Spots 9- 10 could go to maybe another kentucky school? Georgetown or KWC if either make a move or you got  transylvania + thomas moore  who could possibly switch leagues, they probably aren't interested. Yet, with huntingdon college being an orphan with football now, you could add them and only one new kentucky school to get to 10 with nice travel partners.   As for the western scac,  the base of dallas, trinity, SW, Austin and CC is a nice start. Centenary sure would seem like a good fit notwithstanding the delay in full membership to get to 6. From there, it gets more difficult to find the next 3-4 school's, maybe neb W but they are an island like cc. I guess they could look at some naia school's in that area or focus on any ASC willing to move.
Huntingdon's profile as a college is not that different from Oglethorpe's, e.g. academic profile and  endowment (as of 2009 when I looked last).  Therefore, another private school only 120 miles from Birmingham that offers football and lacrosse might be sufficiently valuable as a member to be invited.

OU 1030 students (60% F, 40% M) $38K/yr; very difficult; endowment $22M  USNews #166 National lib arts.
HC 1075 students (52% F, 48% M ) $29K/yr;  Moderately Difficult; endowment $16.4M  USNews Not published national lib arts

Ralph Turner

I would be curious to see which, if any,  ASC schools might be invited to join that "SCAC-West".

etbu27

As would I. We are all quite similar here in the ASC. If I had to guess Id say Mississippi and UMHB? Hardin-Simmons had a pretty awesome PT program too. Idk. Its tough to grab from a conference that has very similar academics and close proximity (minus SRSU).
ETBU Softball-2010 National Champions!

Ron Boerger

My guess (and it's only that) would be TLU and Concordia.  Had it not decided to go D2, McM. 

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 26, 2011, 07:36:21 PM
My guess (and it's only that) would be TLU and Concordia.  Had it not decided to go D2, McM. 

Ron:

I ask this out of ignorance. Do TLU and Concordia fit the academic profile of the SCAC?

Ron Boerger

I didn't look 'em up.   :D  Just a gut feeling that they are the most compatible. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 27, 2011, 06:17:39 PM
I didn't look 'em up.   :D  Just a gut feeling that they are the most compatible. 
When you are getting ready to be abandoned by the eastern half of your conference, which can stand on its own, you lose your selectivity.

I think that those 2 are the most compatible in this part of the country.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 27, 2011, 07:49:12 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 27, 2011, 06:17:39 PM
I didn't look 'em up.   :D  Just a gut feeling that they are the most compatible.  
When you are getting ready to be abandoned by the eastern half of your conference, which can stand on its own, you lose your selectivity.

Yep, that would do it.  ;)

etbu27

(I am no scholar in this type of business) But is it so irrational to think the remaining SCAC members just merge with the ASC? I realize the academic interests are different but refer to Ralph's input...selectivity is lost
(Please dont mug me with insults or comments that Im a blithering idiot? :/)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: etbu27 on May 29, 2011, 09:32:42 PM

(I am no scholar in this type of business) But is it so irrational to think the remaining SCAC members just merge with the ASC? I realize the academic interests are different but refer to Ralph's input...selectivity is lost
(Please dont mug me with insults or comments that Im a blithering idiot? :/)
Good question, ETBU27. I think that any SCAC leftovers could cherry-pick which ASC school they would want to join.

The SCAC schools don't want SRSU, UT-Tyler or UT-Dallas.  There are several others that are less desirable, too.

Just Bill

Watch Illinois College as well. The MWC just added Cornell which gives them a non-divisible 11 members. Many are wondering if the MWC is looking to add or subtract one more. IC at one point was looking to get into the SLIAC, but the SLIAC didn't want them. Perhaps IC to the SCAC or to a new league with the defectors?
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

etbu27

It is a troubling and confusing situation for sure, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the athletic offices for some of these potentially abandoned teams.