MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reserved Seat

Ryan, it wouldn't have mattered.  I don't have cable.  :)

centfan

coach mucci resigned from haverford

Reserved Seat

Big turnover in coaches this year.  Three--so far.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Reserved Seat on March 23, 2017, 08:23:17 AM
Big turnover in coaches this year.  Three--so far.

We'll see who the replacements are, but I venture the average age of coaches is going to drop precipitously in the CC.  I remember writing two years ago just how experienced the coaches were, now many are retiring and moving on.  Interesting times.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There are a lot of experienced, and good, coaches in the Mid-Atlantic... but to be blunt, I am not sure Haverford has the same draw as E-town, Muhlenberg, Shenandoah, and other jobs have meaning I am not sure they will apply. I will be interested to see if anyone thinks they can do at Haverford what has been done at Swarthmore. I believe it can be done. Bobbi Morgan has proven it on the women's side. I am just curious how it is perceived by outside coaches.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 23, 2017, 11:45:27 AM
There are a lot of experienced, and good, coaches in the Mid-Atlantic... but to be blunt, I am not sure Haverford has the same draw as E-town, Muhlenberg, Shenandoah, and other jobs have meaning I am not sure they will apply. I will be interested to see if anyone thinks they can do at Haverford what has been done at Swarthmore. I believe it can be done. Bobbi Morgan has proven it on the women's side. I am just curious how it is perceived by outside coaches.

The former Valley Forge coach is looking for a job.

centfan

What was done at Swat is definitely possible for Haverford in terms of getting a strong coach who will radically change the basketball culture. I think that Haverford will become a winning team and perhaps a consistent playoff team. The program will be turned around and has been in difficult shape for quite a while. It is exciting for the Fords and I wish them the very best...it will help the conference to see them be more competitive.

Gabriel

Reserved Seat and other Dips fans

We were out doing some antique shopping today and had the pleasure of meeting former Dips star guard Duran Searles and his lovely wife Kristy---also an F&M alum.  Being a UC Bears fan, I remember Duran playing in the 2004 game against Ursinus when Dennis Stanton scored 55 points in a memorable game----if you're a Bears fan.  Ironically, Duran and Dennis were first team all CC guards that year.

Duran and Kristy own a shop in Peacedale, RI (close to the University of Rhode Island) by the name of Painted Karma where they specialize in custom vintage designs. A spectacular couple with two lovely daughters, they seem to be doing what they love and are doing it well.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gabriel on March 30, 2017, 04:07:30 PM
Reserved Seat and other Dips fans

We were out doing some antique shopping today and had the pleasure of meeting former Dips star guard Duran Searles and his lovely wife Kristy---also an F&M alum.  Being a UC Bears fan, I remember Duran playing in the 2004 game against Ursinus when Dennis Stanton scored 55 points in a memorable game----if you're a Bears fan.  Ironically, Duran and Dennis were first team all CC guards that year.

Duran and Kristy own a shop in Peacedale, RI (close to the University of Rhode Island) by the name of Painted Karma where they specialize in custom vintage designs. A spectacular couple with two lovely daughters, they seem to be doing what they love and are doing it well.

Weird. I have an aunt who lives in Peacedale, RI.

Gabriel

Ryan,

Peacedale is rural and sparsely populated but worth the trip.  We live in Newport, about 15 miles away.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gabriel on March 31, 2017, 10:56:55 AM
Ryan,

Peacedale is rural and sparsely populated but worth the trip.  We live in Newport, about 15 miles away.

(A) The fact anyone called anything in RI rural or sparsely populated considering how small the state is.
(b) That fact proven the last line, "We live in Newport, about 15 miles away."

I used to spend a long week (10 days) every summer for four or five years with my family and extended family in a house with a few acres of property an easy walk from the beach in Little Compton, RI. So much fun. Newport is a beautiful location, though reminds me of how my career has not been successful LOL.

But you can blink driving through the state and miss it.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gabriel

D-Mac

Very true but we have no trouble getting our family to come and visit----we just remind them not to blink.

Hank Mardukas

I am a big believer that the change in coaches in the conference this year was not only vital for the specific teams but for the league in its entirety. Cent Fan makes a good point about the future of the Fords but what about the "Not so Might Mules" and the "Powerhouse we know as Hopkins". Mules had successes in the past but these last couple years they have been abysmal. There only bright spots seem to be a fundamentally sound and highly skilled German-born big named Eric Werheim. You can see the European in his game with great footwork both in the paint and on the perimeter. Hopkins has the easiest time recruiting and rumor is that they have a pretty strong recruiting class coming in.
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

Hank Mardukas

Although I am new to this blog I am a long time fan of the Centennial Conference. Having said that, I am going to start giving "Hanks Thought of the Day" and today I will be predicting the final standings for next year's season.

1.Swat
2.Franklin and Marshall 
3.Dickinson
4.Hopkins
5.Gettysburg
6.Ursinus
7.Muhlenberg
8.WAC
9.Haverford

Because this is the first "Hanks Thought of the Day" I will give another thought....

This will be the final year the Great Glen Robinson will be the Head Coach of F&M, this does not mean that he will be leaving the program. It's only fitting that with all the coaching change going on in the Cent that the greatest coach in all of Divison III will join many of his competitors and give up his job as head coach, but he will stay on the staff and be the first assistant. This is because F&M wants a peaceful transition of power (similar to the Obama Trump relationship) and Robinson will help guide and mentor the new coach, my estimate is for no more than two seasons. F&M basketball is Coach Robinson's baby and like any good parent, they want to test out the babysitter before hiring them for good. Robinson will make sure that the future of F&M is in good hands before he leaves for good and inevitably moves down to Florida to enjoy a life of shuffleboard and tuna sandwiches on rye.   

And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

Smitty Oom

Welcome to the boards! Swathmore definitely will be the top of the CC this year and should be poised for a good NCAA run.