Draft for D3 New York baseball

Started by AlleyCat, May 22, 2008, 09:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlleyCat

How about we get some names of possible Draft picks this year out of NY D3 baseball

BoomerIL

Rochester's Pete McEneaney was drafted by the Traverse City Beach Bums of the Frontier League.

I think that after watching Zongol and Carroll from RPI play, these two should definitely get some interest somewhere.
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

StarvinMarvin

I'm sure Zongol will garner some interest and although Carroll is a very good player, hitting a grand total of five home runs as a DIII first baseman will do nothing for him.  First base, third base and right field are draft positions where serious power is expected and IMO he hasn't shown that.

John McGraw

I'd guesstimate that Zongol might be a non-drafted free agent. Not because he's not good enough to be drafted but I think that's more his route. Look at Travis Teeter, a guy with a blazing fastball and a plus outfield arm. Not to mention he helped RPI to the Series in 2002. He went undrafted and signed with the Orioles.

Carroll has a better shot just because of his size. He's got a pro body at 6'6", 260. In theory, he could be a mid-to-late 40s selection.

From the big two, I think you've got a few guys with draft potential though I don't see anyone going too high (before round 30). I'd say offhand, Mike Zaccardo and Nick DeVito from Cortland and then Shane Wolf and Nick Sottung from Ithaca. Raux and Ferguson are possibly independent league guys if they want to pursue it. The last Ithaca player to play professional baseball to my knowledge was Kyle Sottung and he was with the Richmond Roosters of the Frontier League for a little while. Jake Upwood is still kicking around somewhere, now with the Edmonton Cracker Cats of the Golden Baseball League after playing for the South Coast League champion South Georgia Peanuts last year (managed by Wally Backman).

AlleyCat

I think that Zaccardo should be a mid 20's - 40 round pick, good arm, power and can run for a catcher.

Devito (Cortland) and Carroll (RPI) have the size they are looking for and have power even though neither hit double digit round trippers this year.

McEneaney from Rochester is a no brainer, good arm 87-91, battles and good size. 

Wolf from Ithaca has good size and is a lefty so he should get a look. Gardner is small, but has a great arm and breaking pitch. Sottung, although a great pitcher and winner probably doesn't throw hard enough for the scouts even though he could win at any level with his command.

Zongol is a tough lefty that can get it up there around 86-89 with command of of 4 pitches, should be a mid to late draft pick if anyone has a clue.

Also, I believe that Teeter was drafted after his Jr year but decided to go back to RPI for his Sr. year.

BoomerIL

Carroll from RPI may not have many HR's, but in the first game against UR he crushed one to straight-away center that had to be 420-430'.  It was high and hard!  His body type should put him at first base, although he needs to work on his footwork.
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

BaseB13

Are these guys all seniors?  If so their chances of being drafted are usually weaker.  Afterall, why waste a draft pick on someone if they can simply sign them as a free agent unless of course there are plenty of teams competing for them.  I would guess the reason McEneaney was drafted so high in the independent league is  because he is a border line draft pick for MLB.  I can't see an independent  team using one of their picks on someone that is projected to be taken in the MLB draft.  They'd simply be wasting their pick.  Instead they usually shoot for guys who are good ball players but a little out of reach from being taken in the MLB draft.  And not for anything, right handers that are consistently 87-90 are a dime a dozen when it comes to pro ball.  Zaccardo was a kid since his days at MCC that people talked about going pro.  Have not seen him play in a long time but if he is very strong defensively then I could see him getting scooped up late.  I've heard a few rumors about Gardner as well.  At the end of the day though I'd bet one or two guys maxx get taken.  The rest could try independent ball or signing as a free agent.   Just looked up Carroll as well.  Didn't realize he was a senior because I do not remember him from 3 or 4 years ago.  Didnt' realize he wasn't a full time starter for RPI until last year.

John McGraw

I can't see McEneaney getting drafted if he's already in the Frontier League and under contract with the Traverse City Beach Bums.

And I guess I was wrong about Teeter. The Astros drafted him after his junior year in 2001 in the 35th round. He stayed in school and ended up signing with the Orioles as a free agent. (Thanks Baseball Cube!)

What hurts Zongol is his mediocre performance in the New York summer league. His numbers didn't blow anyone away and he struggled at times to get guys out in the two seasons he was with the Saratoga Phillies. Again, I still think he could catch on somewhere since he's a lefty, but he may not get drafted.

I forgot Gardner, though who's to say what he would do if he's drafted - whether he'd sign or go back to Ithaca for his senior year.

Caz Bombers

26th round - 782 overall - Houston Astros - Shane Wolf...congrats.

JQV

Two Bombers drafted and no one else from NYS.  Interesting.

HotSoupTrio

any guesses on potential draft picks coming out of the region this year?

StarvinMarvin

I'd be willing to bet Matt Tone goes in the top 15 rounds as a junior.  If anyone(professional scouts) knew about him out of high school someone would have taken a chance on him late which he probably wouldn't have taken but nonetheless the kid is THAT good!  I know that to be fact based on the area scouts I have spoken to.

Big Louie

I agree....Tone is probably even Top 10 round talent. He has some room to grow with the development of his secondary pitches, but he has a big time arm and the kid is a competitor on the mound.

Other than Tone it may be pretty dry this year in the NY Region....Filak from Oneonta has some potential but won't be elgible til the 2010 draft.

HotSoupTrio

In addition to Tone from Cortland, what about a guy like Mike Avery, kids got some great tools. I agree with Butch, Filak showed some great potential in his first year as a pitcher, good move by the Oneonta staff moving him from out behind the dish. Other than those 2 guys from cortland are there really any other draft possibilites out of the region?

John McGraw

Quote from: HotSoupTrio on January 08, 2009, 10:59:58 AM
In addition to Tone from Cortland, what about a guy like Mike Avery, kids got some great tools. I agree with Butch, Filak showed some great potential in his first year as a pitcher, good move by the Oneonta staff moving him from out behind the dish. Other than those 2 guys from cortland are there really any other draft possibilites out of the region?

I don't see anyone else from upstate being drafted this year. Look at last year with all the great talent there was and just two players from that (Wolf, Gardner) were drafted, and Gardner was a real late selection. Zaccardo, who was one of cortland's top players, didn't get a sniff and ended up playing one game in the minors after signing as a free agent.

No question that Tone's going to be drafted, it's just a matter of where he goes. As for anyone else, not so much.