FB: Region 3 fan poll

Started by Pat Coleman, June 23, 2008, 10:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

I think we have 1 too many votes somewhere. I only see 3 votes missing in the top 10, but 4 votes for teams RV.

Hawks88

I see 4 sevens and 4 eights and 6 nines and 7 tens. 5 of everything else.

tf37

It would appear that Centre should be 7,7,7,8,x .

jknezek

The Centre and F&M numbers are identical so I'm guessing it was a cut and paste problem with one of those?

Ralph Turner

Thank you, gentlemen.

I am sorry that I did not proofread sufficiently when I posted this late last night. I will remove the erroneous tabulation which I posted above.
South Region Fan Poll Week #10

1)  UMHB50         1,1,1,1,1..
2)  HSU452,2,2,2,2..
3T)  W&J  373,3,3,4,5..
3T)  CWRU    373,3,4,4,4..
5   Berry   294,5,5,6,6..
6)  JHU  275,5,6,6,6..
7)  Centre                   157,7,7,8,x..
8)  F&M    127,7,9,10,10..
9)  Huntingdon       108,8,8,10,X..
10)  W&L         59,9,10,x,x..
. ....
RV  TLU  39,10,x,x,x..
RV  Muhlenberg         38,x,x,x,x..
RV  Westminster   29,x,x,x,x..
. ....
. ....

Corrections are always appreciated.

Thanks to hasanova, jknezek, roocru and Scots13

jknezek

New Regional Rankings

South Region   
1. Mary Hardin-Baylor 9-0
2. Hardin-Simmons 7-1 +
3. Berry 9-0
4. Washington & Jefferson 9-0
5. Case Western Reserve 9-0
6. Johns Hopkins 8-1
7. Centre 8-1
8. Franklin & Marshall 8-1
9. Huntingdon 7-1 +
10. Hendrix 6-2   

Other than keeping Case behind W&J, which is not much of a surprise, and Centre in front of F&M (I'm guessing Hendrix making the rankings is the cause of this one), this looks about what I expected. I don't really think anyone can complain here. The committee is doing a good job in my opinion, but it's also a pretty cut and dry year.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Bob.Gregg

RE: editorial on the Regional Rankings post....

Other than a Pool B team playing the bottom 10 teams in D-III, I'm having lots of trouble imagining any scenario where a 10-0 would be left home.  And while that specific situation would keep the "any unbeaten will get in" from being 100% true, I just can not see any national selection committee keeping a 10-0 Pool A team that didn't get the AQ from the dance.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

jknezek

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 08, 2017, 03:09:19 PM

Other than a Pool B team playing the bottom 10 teams in D-III, I'm having lots of trouble imagining any scenario where a 10-0 would be left home.  And while that specific situation would keep the "any unbeaten will get in" from being 100% true, I just can not see any national selection committee keeping a 10-0 Pool A team that didn't get the AQ from the dance.

I agree. But if you look at this, if H-SU gets a B, that puts Case on the table first during the "C" process. I doubt an undefeated Case sits on the table through 5 rounds. Now if H-SC doesn't get a "B", I still think they are the first or second C. That gets a little shakier for Case, but I still think they go through.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on November 08, 2017, 03:14:56 PM
Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 08, 2017, 03:09:19 PM

I agree. But if you look at this, if H-SU gets a B, that puts Case on the table first during the "C" process. I doubt an undefeated Case sits on the table through 5 rounds. Now if H-SC doesn't get a "B", I still think they are the first or second C. That gets a little shakier for Case, but I still think they go through.
In the Pool B selections, I have a hard time not giving Pool B to an undefeated Springfield.

Granted, I believe that UMHB, HSU and Springfield are three of the seven "non-Pool  A" teams, so "macht nichts".

BerryCollegeFan

Only 2 Pool B selections and 5 Pool C selections this year?

I suppose this is a silly question... Is there a formula that determines how many Pool B selections there would be?  I notice it changes every few years...

jknezek

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 09, 2017, 02:18:41 PM

I suppose this is a silly question... Is there a formula that determines how many Pool B selections there would be?  I notice it changes every few years...

Ralph Turner posted this back in August on the Pool B board in the General Section:

Please check my math.

North Region:  CCIW-9; HCAC-9; MIAA-7; NACC-7; NCAC-10; OAC-10   6 conferences with 52 full members
East Region: Empire 8-8; ECFC-7; LL-6; MAC-10; MASCAC-9; NJAC-10   6 conferences with 50 full members (ECFC, Dean doesn't count)
South Region: CC-10; ODAC-7; PresAC-11; SAA-9; USAC-8   5 conferences with 45 full members (USAC- Brevard doesn't count)
West Region: IIAC-9; MIAC-9; MWC-12: NWC-8; SCIAC-8: UMAC-10; WIAC-8.  7 conferences with 64 members.

24 conferences with 211 full members = a ratio of 8.791.

ASC 8  (McMurry and Belhaven do not count.)
Commonwealth Coast 6
NEWMAC  8
Independents 2

24 / 8.791 = 2.73, truncated to 2.

wally_wabash

"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on November 09, 2017, 03:28:00 PM
Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 09, 2017, 02:18:41 PM

Ralph Turner posted this back in August on the Pool B board in the General Section:

Please check my math.

North Region:  CCIW-9; HCAC-9; MIAA-7; NACC-7; NCAC-10; OAC-10   6 conferences with 52 full members
East Region: Empire 8-8; ECFC-7; LL-6; MAC-10; MASCAC-9; NJAC-10   6 conferences with 50 full members (ECFC, Dean doesn't count)
South Region: CC-10; ODAC-7; PresAC-11; SAA-9; USAC-8   5 conferences with 45 full members (USAC- Brevard doesn't count)
West Region: IIAC-9; MIAC-9; MWC-12: NWC-8; SCIAC-8: UMAC-10; WIAC-8.  7 conferences with 64 members.

24 conferences with 211 full members = a ratio of 8.791.

ASC 8  (McMurry and Belhaven do not count.)
Commonwealth Coast 6
NEWMAC  8
Independents 2 (WashU, Finlandia)

24 / 8.791 = 2.73, truncated to 2.
I did not count the Commonwealth Coast Conference, which acquired the NEFC's Pool A bid.

217 full members / 25 conferences  =  8.68

18 / 8.68 = 2.073 truncated to 2 bids

jknezek

My final shot at the South Region Advisory Committee Rankings:

South Region   
1. Mary Hardin-Baylor 10-0 (2-0 RRO, HSU and Linfield) SOS 41
2. Hardin-Simmons 8-1 (0-1 RRO, UMHB) SOS 120
3. Berry 10-0 (1-0 RRO, Centre) SOS 109
4. Case Western Reserve 10-0 (0-0 RRO), SOS 220
5. Washington & Jefferson 10-0 (0-0 RRO), SOS 231
6. Johns Hopkins 9-1 (2-0 RRO, F&M and W&L), SOS 30
7. Franklin & Marshall 9-1 (0-1 RRO, JHU) SOS 72
8. Centre 9-1 (0-1 RRO, Berry) SOS 180
9. Huntingdon 8-1 (0-0 RRO) SOS 196
10. Washington and Lee 8-2  (0-1 RRO, JHU) SOS 42 -- SOS jump just gets them in the door

Outside Looking In:
Hendrix 7-2, (0-2 RRO), SOS 48 -- a dropping SOS and a lower win percentage not enough to stay in the rankings over W&L. Might cost Centre a spot dropping below F&M, but I don't see how that matters. Centre's SOS is a non-starter for an at-large at this point if F&M gets off the table.

Major areas the committee might differ from me? Putting W&J over Case, though I don't see why they would do that. Case has the SOS advantage, as sad as both are, and a better point differential overall against all common opponents. I'm not sure what argument would get W&J above Case, other than that's where they were going in to a week where they cruised and Case had to fight it out with a difficult opponent.

F&M and Centre -- the order here is important as it is likely the team in front gets to the table, though I think the odds of either getting in are slim. I think Centre's odds are even worse with the SOS plummeting. To me, F&M is the better candidate at this point, though that is somewhat dependent on...

W&L over Hendrix for the 10 spot. This matters most to Centre as an extra RRO might give them the edge over F&M in possibly getting to the table. Still, I think W&L now has the better criteria for this spot. Sure they have one less game against an RRO, but they have an extra DIII qualifying win to add to winning percentage. Plus I think being conference champion, while not any part of the criteria, is also a helpful card to hold.